• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Help Gateway errors

Cold Ramen Noodles

This account is closed.
Started getting these again. And the site is going really slow. What's going on? I know I was told this was being worked on a LONG time ago. They're back again and the site is unusable.

The site is being serviced in the background with dead accounts (0 post, 0 activity) being purged to release the usernames. It will be restored to normal speed once it is completed.

I think that for things like this, it would be nice to get a small annocement before hand. We've certainly received them for less important things. Just a small, "Hey, site will be a bit slow and unresponsive while we fix things up."

I think that for things like this, it would be nice to get a small annocement before hand. We've certainly received them for less important things. Just a small, "Hey, site will be a bit slow and unresponsive while we fix things up."

Stuff like this is pretty normal and background and normally does not affect the site, thus not requiring an announcement. We aren't sure what happened this time and why it's being slow about it but it is almost done.

Considering that it keeps occasionally giving me an error, I can't make an announcement about it either. I will make one when it is done.

I was purging older usernames from before January 1 2017 that have zero posts, freeing up older names. (Inactive usernames from last year are fine). So that is 13,775 new names for people to switch into.

I've not experienced this issue myself except when there is server maintenance or my ISP borks. It's not a site-wide issue, it seems to only affect certain users. I do have a minor theory, though it may be incorrect as I'm not a person who is educated in what prompts server issues. However, a 502 error may be due to a connection disruption between your ISP and the server itself.

Comcast is notorious for this problem. There are two days where a transit server, basically a server between my computer and the website's, isn't working properly and results in me being unable access the site.

"502 Bad Gateway Error, which indicates that a server somewhere within the server stack — specifically, one which is acting as a gateway or proxy itself — received an invalid response from a different server. Typically, the root of the problem is another server upstream, meaning that the problematic server provides service to the system you received the 502 Bad Gateway Error from." source

Basically, think of there being multiple servers between your computer and the website server, these servers on this route are like stops on a subway, but if one of the stops is shut down along this line, it prevents traffic from reaching the destination. You can do something like a tracert (Windows) to test this out when it happens to you, see if you're truly getting an invalid response from a server and which one specifically.

It only happens on this site. And it'll like skip around and pick days. But it's on my laptop and phone and happens on different Internet connections.

It only happens on this site. And it'll like skip around and pick days. But it's on my laptop and phone and happens on different Internet connections.
That's common actually for it to only affect certain sites. However, say users are going along the same route with the "borked" server transition, we get the same result, a connection error to the site. When comcast had this happen, I am literally only a few server jumps from the actual site server and another user who lived in another country, who went along the same server route, was also unable to connect to the site because of this downed transition server.

Basically, when your ISP detects one of these is down, they sometimes quickly can reroute server traffic because it would widely affect service to many sites because a connection point is basically dead. If you look at cases such as the MMORPG Black Desert Online. They used a horrible company for their traffic which resulted in players being kicked from the game because one of their transit servers were unstable and they had to constantly change the direction of traffic to somewhere else. It was so bad they've officially announced they have ended their contract with them and have opted for a different company to route their traffic to the gaming servers for better stability.

However, as we're a private site, your connection is based around how your ISP decides to route your traffic. It's also why you're not the only user who periodically gets this issue, but it's not a site-wide problem. Your ISP is using a server somewhere that is dropping traffic when trying to use it to connect to website servers. If it's happening on different internet connections, it is simply due to the fact that the ISPs are using the same server hub to direct server trafffic.

As I said, a user in a different country, who didn't even use the same ISP as mine, went along the same server connection route and once it reached the downed transit server, got the same result as I did because we simply were forced to take the same path to get the the site's server.

That's common actually for it to only affect certain sites. However, say users are going along the same route with the "borked" server transition, we get the same result, a connection error to the site. When comcast had this happen, I am literally only a few server jumps from the actual site server and another user who lived in another country, who went along the same server route, was also unable to connect to the site because of this downed transition server.

Basically, when your ISP detects one of these is down, they sometimes quickly can reroute server traffic because it would widely affect service to many sites because a connection point is basically dead. If you look at cases such as the MMORPG Black Desert Online. They used a horrible company for their traffic which resulted in players being kicked from the game because one of their transit servers were unstable and they had to constantly change the direction of traffic to somewhere else. It was so bad they've officially announced they have ended their contract with them and have opted for a different company to route their traffic to the gaming servers for better stability.

However, as we're a private site, your connection is based around how your ISP decides to route your traffic. It's also why you're not the only user who periodically gets this issue, but it's not a site-wide problem. Your ISP is using a server somewhere that is dropping traffic when trying to use it to connect to website servers. If it's happening on different internet connections, it is simply due to the fact that the ISPs are using the same server hub to direct server trafffic.

As I said, a user in a different country, who didn't even use the same ISP as mine, went along the same server connection route and once it reached the downed transit server, got the same result as I did because we simply were forced to take the same path to get the the site's server.

I understand none of this. But thank you for the attempt.

I understand none of this. But thank you for the attempt.
I mean, basically think of the internet as a big ol' subway system or train system with "lines" and "stops." The "lines" are the connections between the "stops" which are transition servers (servers in-between your origin point and your destination).

So, say for example your origin point is Houston, Texas and the server for RpNation is in Miami, Florida. Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) chooses the route your connection will take to reach the server, basically what "stops" (transit server) you will take on the way to connect to the site's server. Say there are 30 "stops" along this path that they've decided, but stop #20 is down, meaning once you reach stop #20 you are unable to continue further down the line to RpNation.

Either the ISP can try to reroute you to another stop and go around the the downed #20 stop, or it may just make you wait until #20 is fixed and can allow you to continue to your destination. These lines aren't privatized (generally) which means multiple ISPs are sending different users from different services down the same path. So, if say a wireless internet company sees this as the most optimal connection between your origin and your destination, they will take that exact same path, resulting in the same issue once they reach stop #20.

If you have a windows PC, open a CMD and type in "tracert rpnation.com" (without the "") and it'll show how you literally connect to the server. Each "hop" is a transit server. I figured I'd try to explain one last time. Basically, at this point to me it's a connection between your origin and the site's server, and not the site server itself.

I mean, basically think of the internet as a big ol' subway system or train system with "lines" and "stops." The "lines" are the connections between the "stops" which are transition servers (servers in-between your origin point and your destination).

So, say for example your origin point is Houston, Texas and the server for RpNation is in Miami, Florida. Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) chooses the route your connection will take to reach the server, basically what "stops" (transit server) you will take on the way to connect to the site's server. Say there are 30 "stops" along this path that they've decided, but stop #20 is down, meaning once you reach stop #20 you are unable to continue further down the line to RpNation.

Either the ISP can try to reroute you to another stop and go around the the downed #20 stop, or it may just make you wait until #20 is fixed and can allow you to continue to your destination. These lines aren't privatized (generally) which means multiple ISPs are sending different users from different services down the same path. So, if say a wireless internet company sees this as the most optimal connection between your origin and your destination, they will take that exact same path, resulting in the same issue once they reach stop #20.

If you have a windows PC, open a CMD and type in "tracert rpnation.com" (without the "") and it'll show how you literally connect to the server. Each "hop" is a transit server. I figured I'd try to explain one last time. Basically, at this point to me it's a connection between your origin and the site's server, and not the site server itself.

I was just looking for a fix. If there's nothing much I can do aside from find out why it's happening (which I'm not interested in nor do I understand) then I can deal with it.

Well, can't find it. But I was told it had something to do with the database and that it was something users couldn't fix. This was told to me a long time ago before this most recent update.

I was just looking for a fix. If there's nothing much I can do aside from find out why it's happening (which I'm not interested in nor do I understand) then I can deal with it.
I was trying to be helpful and explain the reason behind the suggested theory and for how you could test it yourself to see if you can confirm it being a possibility.

Also, Ghan gave me a different reason for why these happen. I can go track down the old question when I asked this.

If you are referring to the "overly large threads" causing them, this issue has been resolved. Those 502's were site-wide affecting most users with the error;
Thanks for the update on this. We still have extremely large threads, but we don't seem to have the heavy queries that were causing these lockups before.

I'll stop here though, since I've suggested an answered your problem to the best of my ability as to why the issue seems to continue as it's the only theory I have left on the issue now.

How long does it go on when you notice this start to happen? Do you know if anyone else has the same problem when you do?
Can you let me know the time of day when it happens again?

Only I have the problem around me since only I'm using the site. And it happens on no other sites. And it usually goes on for a minute up to like...3? It's not long just annoying because sometimes it happens over and over again. And different internet connections and devices.

Only I have the problem around me since only I'm using the site. And it happens on no other sites. And it usually goes on for a minute up to like...3? It's not long just annoying because sometimes it happens over and over again. And different internet connections and devices.

Around what times?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back