• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

The Black Knight

One Thousand Club
Gate

fantasy-art-black-holes-cgi-apocalyptic-wallpaper-preview.jpg
Synopsis: A role play inspired by Solo-Leveling. You do not have to have read the manga to participate for this RP is its own thing.

On 1 January 2021, the ball dropped and humanity was never the same. An immense portal opened in the sky that could be seen from anywhere around the world. A great blue light descended in a pillar and upon crashing into the Earth it sent out a wave of energy in all directions. The blue energy enveloped the entire planet and faded, and everyone thought nothing had happened until humanity started to demonstrate supernatural powers. Some human beings were stronger and sturdier than others. Some had the powers to manifest the elements. Some were quick and others had heightened senses. Many thought it was a miracle at first. Everyone’s secret dream to become super heroes had finally come true, but the true purpose behind the powers was not for humanity to be saved. The same portals as the Master Portal in the sky started to appear all over the world. No one dared to venture inside of them out of fear. The governments cordoned the vicinity around the portals to keep people from venturing within. After seven days, monsters came out and started to destroy the planet. It took all with powers granted by the Master Portal to fight back the monsters. Some monsters were on a level that many believed to be god-like. Others were as weak as insects. Similarly, there were some humans who had varying strengths and could go toe-to-toe with the god-like monsters, but never alone.

When the monsters were all slain, the portals vanished, but more later appeared. The governments started to create special units comprised of the strongest fighters to enter the portals and fight the threat head-on, but they learned through research that not all portals were the same. Some portals had stronger monsters than other portals. Time flowed differently inside them. A week inside the portal could be a mere three hours real time. Those who died in the portal could not be recovered unless their bodies were physically removed before the final boss was killed.

In order to make a profit, a new occupation was created called a Hunter. Hunters were registered and licensed in a planetary database and given a rank of E thru S based on their power level. In order to survive, Hunters had to create a party of at least ten members and venture inside a portal to beat the boss. Sometimes, there were valuable materials inside the portal that could be sold for real world money. Greed was often a killer. Some groups were formed to use the weak to fulfill an objective at their expense.

In the world of Gate only the strong survive and the weak are either abused or perish. You must level and grow stronger maybe not just for you, but for your loved ones. Whatever the reason, eat or be eaten; and discover the secrets of the portals.

GM Role: Welcome to Gate. My role as the GM is to play God. Not literally God, but I will be the mysterious force that gives your characters XP, titles, and even your roles as you go through the game. I will not have a player character in this game, but I will have NPCs as necessary. I give you rewards for completing dungeons and you can do whatever with those rewards and points. Tailor your character into a completely custom job class. If you plan to join this game, then your mind must be open to this mechanic. If you're not open to it, then this isn't the game for you.

Your Role: All players who join this game will be human. Your human wears everyday clothes just as you do IRL. While there is RPG-style armor, weapons, etc. in this game. They must be acquired from the portal. However, characters are allowed to start with a basic starting weapon. All players are E rank. You do not choose your class. The GM will give you a randomly generated job class. Do not be upset. This is because the Master Portal gave you this class starting out, but as you receive XP and points, you use those points to build your character into an ideal class that matches your style. At a certain point in the game, your character will receive a job change.

Your role is also to write with others and build on your story. The reason why the GM controls the gains is so that players aren’t senselessly grinding and not adding anything to the story. The GM decides when a portal opens. The GM runs the portal environment and grants each player unique items. Not all players may get the same thing. Some may receive items unique to them or resulting from their actions.

Portals: As already mentioned, the GM will open the portals. The portal rank may be higher than your character, and so it’ll take some strategy for you to decide if you want to go in with “x” amount of people. The more people you enter a portal with, the higher your chance of survival. Portals can only be closed if the portal boss or dungeon boss is defeated.

Loot: All enemies killed in the portal drop loot whether it be useful or rubbish. The loot uses the same rank as the Hunter rank system: E-S, where S is legendary. The GM will use a random generator to determine what player gets what, but don’t expect S-class items from an E rank monster. Can players steal loot from other players? Yes. Who has to deal with the consequences? Everyone IC. I don’t expect all characters to be good natured. Can players share or trade loot with other players? Yes, they can. Can players kill other player characters? Yes, but it must be brought up to the GM and both parties must agree to the death battle. This world is whatever you guys make of it. As long as you keep the drama IC, then I don’t care.

Setting: The primary location for our characters will be Seoul, Korea. It is different from the usual Japan themes prevalent on this site. If you don't know anything about Korean culture, welp, Google is right there. Your character can be from anywhere around the world. You just need to justify why they're in Korea.

Character Sheet:

Post your character sheet in this Interest Check. It keeps the Interest Check active, and it allows prospective players to see what kinds of characters are joining. Only finished and approved sheets will be allowed in the Character Thread.

Code:
[divide][/divide]
[Size=7][b]Basic Information[/b][/size]
[divide][/divide]
[b]Character Name:[/b] First and Last Name please.
[b]Nickname(s):[/b] If relevant. If you can't think of anything, then some may be given to you in game.
[b]Rank:[/b] E
[b]Age:[/b] 16-25
[b]Gender:
Height:[/b] Nothing below 5'0 and nothing above 6'4"
[b]Weight:[/b] Believable weight please.
[b]Hair Color:[/b] Can be any color. This is based on a webtoon.
[b]Eye Color:[/b] Any color. It's based on a webtoon.
[b]Aura Color and Appearance:[/b] Describe your character's aura.

[b]Occupation:[/b] This is a role your character has when not being a Hunter. This can be high school student, college student, grocer, work at a coffee shop, bartender, etc.
[b]Job Class:[/b] This will be given to you randomly by the GM. Remember, if you don't like the job class, then tailor your character toward the job class you want when you receive points.

[b]General Appearance:[/b] Describe what your character looks like that isn't presented in the imagery you choose. This goes into extra details such as accessories, tattoos, distinct scars, etc. Please don't give you character all of these things because you feel you have to. I would like for anime or digital art to be used for imagery of your character. You can put the pictures anywhere in this CS or jazz up this CS however you like.

[b]Personality:[/b] Write enough here so that it looks like you tried.

[b]Current Story:[/b] What is your character's occupation? What are they hoping to achieve? Do they have family members? Do they live alone? Do they have a boyfriend/girlfriend? Are they wanting a boyfriend/girlfriend?
[divide][/divide]
[SIZE=7][b]Equipment & Stats[/b][/SIZE]
[divide][/divide]
[b][u]Equipped[/u]

Weapon 1[/b]
[i]Weapon Name:[/i] Wait until you receive your job class from the GM.
[i]Type:
Rank:[/i] GM will randomize a weapon between E or C rank. Good luck. May the Dice Lords be with you.
[i]Material:[/i] Basically, what the weapon is comprised of.
[i]Bonus(es):[/i] This will depend on the class. You will get all of this information when the GM gives you job class and weapon rank.

[b]Weapon 2[/b]
[i]Weapon Name:[/i] Wait until you receive your job class from the GM. Your character may dual wield or have an off-handed weapon such as a dagger or shield. They may have a sword and a bow. You're allowed up to two weapons or a weapon and a shield.
[i]Type:
Material:
Bonus(es):[/i]

[b]Armor[/b]
[i]Armor Name:
Description:
Material:
Bonus(es):[/i] Same as above. Wait for your job class and armor rank.

[b]Accessory 1:[/b]
[i]Description:[/i] You will not get these starting out. These can be acquired in a portal dungeon.
[i]Type:

[b]Accessory 2:[/b]
[i]Description:[/i] You will not get these starting out. These can be acquired in a portal dungeon.
[i]Type:

[b]Accessory 3:[/b]
[i]Type:

[b]Rank:[/b] E
[b]Title:
Level:[/b] 1/10
[b]HP:[/b] 50
[b]MP:[/b] 100
[b]Defense: 50
P. Attack: 50
M. Attack: 50
Accuracy:[/b] 1d100+(Your Agility Pts)

[b]Vitality:
Intelligence:
Strength:
Agility:
Sense:
Fatigue:[/b] 0/100
[b]XP:[/b] 0/10

[b]Skills[/b]
[i]GM will give you these randomly. Certain actions your character's perform can earn you skills.[/i]

[b]Magic[/b]
[i]Except for the magician class, all other classes must learn magic from cracking open rune stones that fall from powerful enemies.[/i]

[b]Inventory[/b]
[i]Keep a log of every item you acquire in the game including money. Gold can only be spent in the System Store. Some materials you earn in the portal dungeon can earn your character IRL money. Korean money is called "won."[/i]

Example CS

Basic Information
5b37a0dce5f54ab785023add339e5ed3.jpg
Character Name: Sun-Young Gwan
Nickname(s): Sun
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 145 lbs
Hair Color: Dyed Blonde
Eye Color: Blue
Aura Color and Appearance: Bright, pink wisps that swirl in a tornado around her.

Job Class: Mage

General Appearance: Sun-Young is considered one of the beautiful girls in school despite her nerdy glasses. While she doesn't mean to appear to be stereotype, she actually is very smart. She dyed her hair blonde to add something different since most girls in Korea have somber-hair colors. She is very thin with little curves with bright blue eyes and natural pink lips. She likes to wear comfortable baggy shirts and sweaters with ripped jeans when she isn't in her school uniform.

Personality: Sun-Young takes her studies seriously and is often disliked for not knowing when to take a break. Her peers often think she's constantly trying to compete with them in school and doesn't want to be one of the cool kids and go to parties. Other girls call her a dork and harass her, mainly jealous because she tends to attract the guys they're interested in. It's not like she asks them to come over and talk to her! Sun just doesn't want to rely on becoming a Hunter to pay for her college, so if she can get into college on a scholarship then that will help her with money so that she won't have to run portal dungeons so much. She doesn't really like being a Hunter, but just like with most people she finds the easy money tempting. She can enter a portal dungeon and stand in the back while the high rankers do all the work. She doesn't mind carrying their bags and staying in the background. Some people consider her to be a weak personality because of this. While she tries not to let the ridicule from others bother her, deep down she does feel alone.

Current Story: Sun-Young is studying hard in school, hoping to obtain high enough grades to apply for any college she wants. She wants to receive a scholarship so that college is mostly paid for, and she doesn't have to rely so much on Hunter salary. She lives in Hongdae in an apartment with her mother, Ha-Joon, her father Sung-ho, and kid brother Ji-Hoon, who unlike her, dreams of becoming the best hunter in Korea. He wants to join one of the elite guilds. They often argue about Hunter work for Ji-Hoon can't believe his sister isn't taking it more seriously. Sun-Young doesn't trust the Master Portal and doesn't believe its existence was meant to benefit them in any way. In college, she hopes to enter a major that allows her to study these portals to learn more about them. Perhaps she can one day find a way to close the Master Portal.
Equipment & Stats
Equipped

Weapon 1

Weapon Name: Rift Rod
Type: Rod
Material: Wood
Bonus(es): +10 Intelligence, +10 Agility

Weapon 2
Weapon Name: Arcane Tome
Type: Tome
Material: Paper
Bonus(es): +15 Intelligence, +2 Mana Regen per Turn

Armor
Armor Name: Apprentice Cowl
Description: A cowl worn by a student of the arcane arts.
Material: Cloth
Bonus(es): +15 Intelligence, +10 Vitality

Accessory 1:
Description: You will not get these starting out. These can be acquired in a portal dungeon.
Type:

Accessory 2:
Description: You will not get these starting out. These can be acquired in a portal dungeon.
Type:

Accessory 3:
Type:

Title:
Level:
1/10
HP: 65
MP: 160
Defense: 60
P. Attack: 60
M. Attack: 120
Accuracy: 1d100+(25)

Vitality: 15
Intelligence: 15 (+40) 55
Strength: 10
Agility: 15 (+10) 25
Sense: 5
Fatigue: 0/100
XP: 0/10

Skills
GM will give you these randomly. Certain actions your character's perform can earn you skills.

Magic
Except for the magician class, all other classes must learn magic from cracking open rune stones that fall from powerful enemies.

Inventory
Keep a log of every item you acquire in the game including money. Gold can only be spent in the System Store. Some materials you earn in the portal dungeon can earn your character IRL money. Korean money is called "won."

Rules

1. Read my Game. Fight the urge to rush. Fight the urge to not pay attention. Read this game so you don't ask obvious questions. I didn't write this for me. I wrote this for you so please read it. Use the "Game Mechanics" thread to help you fill out the character sheet.
2. GM Rules. This game is very GM heavy. There are a lot of things I do for your characters that you may not be used to. The reason I do this is to allow you to psychologically know how it feels in-game. There's a mysterious Lovecraftian portal above Seoul. You don't know what's going to happen. You're always wondering what's going to happen. It is a purposeful affect in this game and it also maintains the peace to an extent. Some people try to come for the grind than the story. Well, those types cannot do that here. If you're not here for the story, look elsewhere. If you don't like the GM having so much power, look elsewhere.
3. Drama. I don't have time for it so please don't start it. I will ask you to leave the game and if you refuse, then I'll just simply report you. Do not waste my time.
4. Suggestions. You may notice something that could be written better. If you notice a section that can be clarified, then 1) identify the problem, and 2) offer a solution. If you are only identifying problems, and offering no solutions, then you are complaining. Constant complaining will become drama. So please use the technique I am mentioning. Again, 1) Identify the problem, and 2) offer a solution. Some of you are argumentative. Like you get off on arguing. I am not one of those types of people. I will dismiss you from the game if it becomes a recurring problem. The best way to not be considered argumentative is to follow that method. 1) Identify a problem, and 2) Offer a solution. If this doesn't work, then you may just be unhappy with the game, and you may just need to leave before you make it a toxic environment. Nobody likes that. We're here to have fun.
5. No half-ass character sheets. If your CS looks like a skeleton and you expect me to approve it, you're mad. If you give me lazy work, then I will lazily not bother to read it. I will just deny you.
6. Log your gains. Use your character sheet as a log. How you log your gains is up to you. But please log them. It'll help you.
7. Game SMEs. If you find yourself loving this game and become a subject matter expert (SME), meaning you just have the combat, stat system, and everything down, you can ask to become a Co-GM. I also ask that you help any new players who come to the game and are trying to figure out the system. I don't expect people to grasp it easily. I know I worked hard to make it simple, but systems are systems. They often take practice to get used to and you will be given the practice without penalty.
8. Have fun, enjoy the story, and add to the story. The GM is the supernatural entity in the game known as The System. There is a lot of stuff you won't know and you may not be able to anticipate everything I plan to do. Have faith in me. I am not here to screw you over. I am here to present a story that not only moves as you do, but you should be bringing an interesting character to the game to add to this awesome world. Please have fun and be willing to write with others.
9. Discord: Yay or Nay? Let me know if you want a discord. I know not everyone uses it. Majority vote will ultimately decide. This game uses Discord.

Links

Game Mechanics

Character Thread (Do not post your CS here unless your CS has been approved by the GM)

OOC (OOC is only for approved players)

IC (IC is only for approved players)

Last edited:
>my ideal job i want: Bard
>i can flirt with the monsters and have a monster harem.
>wait, this oddly sounds like solo leveling
>i get a different job instead due to random generator
>i get janitor
>i think this is stupid until i realize . . .
>JANITORS TAKE OUT THE TRASH!
>doom music starts playing

This sounds really interesting, I would love the opportunity to join!

I love the idea of not being able to pick my class and having to build around what I get given.

In the case any of you are thinking about the stat portion of the CS, if you are having a difficult time, don't worry about it. I can help you if you need me to.

If this is too big of an ask then don't mind me but could you put up a CS for an NPC? Could be one you plan on using or just one for example's sake.

If this is too big of an ask then don't mind me but could you put up a CS for an NPC? Could be one you plan on using or just one for example's sake.
I can do that. It'll be an actual NPC I plan to have show face one day. Never mind. I don't want it to be a high ranker XD. I'll just make an example doll that I won't ever use but to help you guys start.

I want Sun-Young to have let's say a staff and a tome. Let's see what rank each one gets. Also understand, I could have just given her only a staff or a tome. She doesn't have to have two weapons.

d-day-stencil.regular.png

196-1962791_wizard-staff-png-graphic-library-stock-wizard-staff.png

Rift Rod
Type: Rod
Material: Wood
Bonus(es): +10 Intelligence, +10 Agility​

tome-of-ancient-lore.png

Arcane Tome
Type: Tome
Material: Paper
Bonus(es): +15 Intelligence, +2 Mana Regen per Turn​

d-day-stencil.regular.png

latest

Apprentice Cowl
A cowl worn by a student of the arcane arts.
Bonus(es): +15 Intelligence, +10 Vitality​

Sun-Young is content with being a Mage since she doesn't care much for Hunter business any way. She won't assign her points to plan for a different class. She is instead going with the flow because again, she doesn't care about all of this Hunter stuff. She just wants to go to college and not have to do portal dungeons to pay for it.

Basic Information

1632007585627.png

Character Name: 박지원 (Jiwon Park/Bak)
Nickname(s):
E
Height: 178 cm/5'8"
Weight: 70kb/155lb
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Black
Aura Color and Appearance: Royal blue, flame-like, ephemeral wisps that rise and slowly vanish

Occupation: Assists his father's real estate business as a side gig/way of staying productive while trying to job hunt and figure out what to do with his life
Job Class: Mage

General Appearance: Jiwon has a larger build than most Koreans. Rather than having the body of a nimble soccer player, he looks like the sort of person who played American football when he was younger with his wide shoulders. His fashion sense is more western orientated as well, which betrays his American gyopo origins. One notable feature though is a small faint scar on his bottom lip that he got from his cat when he was in middle school.

Personality: Jiwon attempts to be a laid back person who just focuses on important and "bigger picture" details. It's not due to the fact that he naturally laid back, instead he is a rather anxious person who would be overwhelmed if he had to also keep track of smaller details, so as a method to cope he's taught himself to try and not worry about small details. Though, he still has a tendency to over-think and analyze things that draw his attention, which is both a boon and a curse. Regardless, he does his best to be kind and polite to others on a superficial level, but those closer to him know that he begins to overthink relationships with others as they become deeper. His over thinking could also be seen as indecision as it affected him after he graduated from college in the US. He didn't know what to do after graduating, and spend several month agonizing over the decision. However, he ultimately came to the conclusion that he would go to Korea and serve his mandatory military service as he was a Korean citizen by blood according to Korean law. In his mind, this opportunity would allow him to push off making a final decision, and give him more opportunities to choose from as he would have earned his Korean citizenship. Now, he has recently finished his time in the military and is now faced with trying to find his own way in life once again.

Current Story: Jiwon is facing a quarter life crisis as he suddenly has all the freedom in the world after finishing school and military service, but doesn't really know what his passions are nor what it is that he wants to do in his life. Fortunately, his parents are financially supportive of him, and allows him to help at their company as a side job/temporary job while he tries to figure out his calling in life. The pressure is really on him as he managed to do well in college and graduate with decent grades at a good school, so he doesn't want to put all that hard work and effort to waste nor to disappoint his family. So far, this becoming a Hunter seems pretty interesting and seems to pay well.

Equipment & Stats

Equipped

Weapon 1

28-281601_magic-sphere-fw-fire-and-ice-orb.png

Rainbow Core
Type:
Orb
Material: Crystal
Bonus(es): +20 Intelligence, +10 Agility, 40% chance to blind up to three enemies for 2 turns (accuracy roll less than 40).

Weapon 2
118-1183861_dagger-png-transparent-png.png

Smooth Edge
Type:
Dagger
Material: Iron
Bonus(es): +10 Strength, +10 Agility

Armor
4ea33813db52aba091dd882324b61dda.jpg

Novice Cloak
The cloak of a novice magician.
Bonus(es): +10 Intelligence, +10 Vitality

Accessory 1:
Description: Y
Type:

Accessory 2:
Description:
Type:

Accessory 3:
Description:
Type:

Title:
Level:
1/10
HP: 60
MP: 140
Defense: 70
P. Attack: 20
M. Attack: 50
Accuracy: 1d100+30

Vitality: 0 + 10 = 10
Intelligence: 20 + 20 +10 = 50
Strength: 10 + 10 = 20
Agility: 10 + 10 + 10 = 30
Sense: 20
Fatigue: 0/100
XP: 1/10

Skills

Magic

Inventory

Last edited:
I'm pretty interested. Will have to properly look at the CS on pc than in mobile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back