Video Games Gaming experience: How do you feel about Mic’d players?

The Silent Z

Just Here
I’ll keep this simple and somewhat short. As the title says how do you guys and gals feel about Mic’d players when you play online in whatever game it might be? Myself, I have a headset for my PS4 and a cheaper one for my Xbox one, idk why because I’ve never had the time to spend gaming on such a level that perhaps I don’t belong in online play unless I keep improving and sometimes that might be the only way to improve and break from that comfort zone and try, possibly enjoy new experiences, etc.

But recently I’ve started playing nba 2k park after only ever trying it back in 2k17 (I believe 17?) however you run as a prospect then rookie and until you get to whatever rep, which means unless you’ve got pals to run with you, you’re stuck hoping randoms will team with you. (Just how life is in 2k) sometimes you get invites from people and sometimes not. But so far my experience with Mic’d players is.... I’m Not a fan. Usually you get those types that just annoy the hell out of you and like to complain and blame more then just play. They tend to act like superior players and etc, but usually they are making just as many if not more mistakes or plain not even playing D or throwing bricks for jumpers. Anyways so far that’s my experience.

How about you folks?

I think it depends heavily on the game, and if the majority of players use mics or not.

Frex, playing mech games (Hawken, Mechwarrior, etc.) where the majority of players are/were mic'd, it wasn't too bad.

But the few times I've run into mic'd players while playing Depth, or other small-scale games, where most folks don't use mics, it's been annoying as heck.

Then there's Sea of Thieves, where being annoying on your mic is absolutely part of the built in game mechanic, so, y'know, YMMV.

I play Dead by Daylight and Monster Hunter World and tend to use mics when playing with people I know. In Fallout 76 I don't use mic much since there seems to be a lot of kids on the game. As for FFXIV, I can't do end game raids without a mic. The newer, extreme raids I use a mic if the mechanics are still new or its a rarely farmed raid.

I think it depends heavily on the game, and if the majority of players use mics or not.

Frex, playing mech games (Hawken, Mechwarrior, etc.) where the majority of players are/were mic'd, it wasn't too bad.

But the few times I've run into mic'd players while playing Depth, or other small-scale games, where most folks don't use mics, it's been annoying as heck.

Then there's Sea of Thieves, where being annoying on your mic is absolutely part of the built in game mechanic, so, y'know, YMMV.
I’ll be honest had to google ‘YMMV’ never seen that or heard it before. But that’s true. It makes sense that it would depend on the game, 2K for example is half and half with not knowing until the game starts if you’ve got a Mic’d player or not. Unless you have where your pre-planning to play together and have stuff worked out for mic communication ahead of time. Since I’m usually playing with randoms I don’t use my headset and will usually mute if they do, I’d rather focus on the game and fighting lag/internet issues then listen to possible players of which previously described.

A few months back I got the Xbox one and saw sea of thieves, good to know a little about it from actual players and not just brief trailers in the store.
I play Dead by Daylight and Monster Hunter World and tend to use mics when playing with people I know. In Fallout 76 I don't use mic much since there seems to be a lot of kids on the game. As for FFXIV, I can't do end game raids without a mic. The newer, extreme raids I use a mic if the mechanics are still new or its a rarely farmed raid.
Yeah I get that. Playing on Mic and with people you know seems like the best way to go or if the game calls for it, I can see why people would use it. 2K tends to have a large variance in ages of players and a lot of kids so you’ve got all kinds there. Thinking about how many games I own have online play, seems like 2k might be the only current one. But I can see the benefits of them.

I only play with mic with people I know. If we play a team game it's helpful and more fun.

In random teams I usually either opt out voice chat entirely or stay there to hear teammates (for strategy) and not talk unless it's absolutely needed.
99% of the time it's not strategy though it's random insults so I do not enjoy hearing that. I understand it may be helpful for strategy sometimes but in most cases it's more harmful than helpful. People trash talking or random noises in the background are distracting.

I only play with mic with people I know. If we play a team game it's helpful and more fun.

In random teams I usually either opt out voice chat entirely or stay there to hear teammates (for strategy) and not talk unless it's absolutely needed.
99% of the time it's not strategy though it's random insults so I do not enjoy hearing that. I understand it may be helpful for strategy sometimes but in most cases it's more harmful than helpful. People trash talking or random noises in the background are distracting.
Agreed.

I’d stick around with randoms on listening to strategy cause that is smart play. But usually it’s not really tactics but the other half of voice chat during games like you referenced, no help at all in those cases. Plus it really is distracting and pending on the suddenness of it, throws off your timing on shots.

I think I’ve played online multiplayer in games like SW battlefront, mass effect, a couple others a long time ago. But don’t recall any Mic’d players however maybe those games had a different set up, I don’t remember for sure.

Coming from the perspective of someone who used to play games competitively. Unless you give me a reason to mute you, I'd rather have a team full of people with mics than without. It's far easier to communicate information and coordinate strategies with people on mic than those without. Which in turn increases your chance of winning at the end of the day.

Coming from the perspective of someone who used to play games competitively. Unless you give me a reason to mute you, I'd rather have a team full of people with mics than without. It's far easier to communicate information and coordinate strategies with people on mic than those without. Which in turn increases your chance of winning at the end of the day.

I agree. For FPS, mic is always on.

What's our strategy, where are we setting up, who's getting shot at, where's the sniper

....also screaming into a mic when you die is more socially acceptable than screaming at your screen.

If you playin any game that requires teamwork or thorough comms and you don't gotta mic, your dead to me aight? Swear that's the only thing that'll make me toxic is a stupid ass teammate who will not ping or say anything, but will just marry on away. Mic is on and will always stay on. If ya hate talking, leave my PSN party, aight.

Last edited:
I actually cannot think of the last time that I played with random strangers that used microphones. I usually play fighting games where there is little communication with the other side or games with friends. I do remember that I would play Left 4 Dead 2 with other players back in the day and there was one experience I had where one guy with a microphone was absolutely awful. All he would do is yell at us, throw insults, and so on. We finally left him to die and voted to kick him, lol. I think that's the only time that I've ever had actually had an issue with it.

Otherwise, I don't run into often and I usually don't mind when other players have microphones on. I usually don't talk on mine though.

As someone who grew up with the 4-player split-screen (long before the days of online co-op), playing with headsets and all that jazz seemed kinda dumb to me. To be honest, I don't game anymore. And when I have gone to friend's houses and played on their console, it's just with them that I care to play with. That being said, I remember this one time I was playing one of the Halo games (I have no idea which) with a buddy. No one wanted to go up against us, so we went online to find others to shoot at. I knew about the mic thing, but mostly just ignored everyone's banter. However, i had gotten sniped a few times and the other team was getting cocky about it. At one point, they got me out of the air on a long jump. OUT OF THE AIR! It was a good shot and I hear the =m cheering about it. I mean, it was a great shot, so I didnt blame them. But what made it absolutely hilarious was when they came down to find my body and did the customary tea-bagging on my corpse. The noises they made through the mic made me lose my shit. I couldn't stop laughing and had to hand the controller off to my hubby lest i get shot standing after the respawn.

Just thought I'd share.

To be honest I used to mic up with every single game I would play. Some of them it would help, others required, and some it was as if I was the only one mic’d up. NOW, I hardly ever.. like.. rarely do I ever mic up in a game unless I am playing with folks I know.

Really depends on the game and community for me, some more fast-paced games the mic feels much more necessary for tactics, even if it sometimes means dealing with toxicity here and there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back