Boardgames & LARP Games not of the video variety

My SO and I have been really into games recently. There's this really awesome bar across the street from my work that has every game you could imagine. It's a nerd paradise! We really like the games Carcassonn (idk if that's spelled correctly) and Siedler von Catan (Settlers of Catan??)! Dominion and Phase 10 are great ones too! Do you have any suggestions! They can be group games or just two players!

Codenames. It's the only game I know and it's fun. I play it with my colleagues sometimes. And doesn't require many people, 4 is enough.

Cards Against Humanity, as long as you're not the sensitive sort. Its offensive, its hilarious, its horrible.

My SO and I have been really into games recently. There's this really awesome bar across the street from my work that has every game you could imagine. It's a nerd paradise! We really like the games Carcassonn (idk if that's spelled correctly) and Siedler von Catan (Settlers of Catan??)! Dominion and Phase 10 are great ones too! Do you have any suggestions! They can be group games or just two players!

Go try out Bang! for a fun 4+ group. Fun as hell, youre basically a bunch of cowboys shooting each other in a crazy Mafia styled game. Alternatively, if its just you and your SO, a fun cooperative game is actually the League of Legends board game spin-off Mechs vs Minions (its a bit expensive though the last time I checked like 70-80 USD)

Go try out Bang! for a fun 4+ group. Fun as hell, youre basically a bunch of cowboys shooting each other in a crazy Mafia styled game. Alternatively, if its just you and your SO, a fun cooperative game is actually the League of Legends board game spin-off Mechs vs Minions (its a bit expensive though the last time I checked like 70-80 USD)

Hey thanks! I'll have to see if our local board game pub has Bang! We're going there with some friends to celebrate my birthday next weekend! They probably have the league of legends game too!

This is going to seem very generic and mainstream to you based on the examples given in the OP. You've probably played a game or two at some point in your lifetime, but if you enjoy board games, Risk is one of the most underrated, underappreciated games in the genre. If you ever get a chance to play with a few people who seem like they know their way around the board, it is a great game that can take days to weeks to finish. Ultimate Risk adds more depth to the dimensions of play, but classic is great too. Risk sort of boils it down to the basics creating a dynamic similar to chess or checkers. Just flat out skill, attack and defend. No extra stuff fogging up or twisting on the flow of play.

I love Risk, but rarely get a chance to play nowadays. All of my Risk buddies live in different parts of the country.

Munchkin/Star Munchkin is pretty nice if you want something a bit simpler (only cards). Else 7 wonders is a pretty nice board game to play if you are looking for something for a board game.

Everyone loves monopoly until that one dood gets the boardwalk and puts a hotel on it

Ah, board games! It’s really my introduction to gaming in general. If you’re looking into something different, try Betrayal at House on the Hill. It’s a tile based, room building, and horror narrative driven game. You can play with 3-6 people too. 😁

Patchwork is a calming 2-player boardgame where you arrange cardboard patchwork pieces into a quilt. I'd describe it as a puzzler like Carcassonne, but slightly less competitive and with a focus on tetris-y piece placement.

For larger groups, Survive: Escape from Atlantis involves loading up as many people as you can into little boats and trying to get them to safety, while other players try to sink your boats. It's great fun, and you quickly learn which of your friends you can trust (the answer is none of them. They're all traitors.)

Right now my roommates and I have been very into Mysterium. It’s a fun cooperative game with beautiful art and a spooky premise.

Snakes and ladders my dude it’s super rare and not many people have heard of it but ohhhhh Boi is it lit!!

(I’m not trying to mock board games btw; the ones I play are sort of half remembered or more card game-y so sorry I can’t actually contribute to your thread 😇)

Recently been into playing Coup. Highly recommend it. Get to see who are the lying bastards and the honest nancys in your friend groups are.
Pretty fun game, and is relatively cheap.

If you’re looking for a two person game, I’d highly recommend The Mind. Cooperative game where you try to put numbered cards in order without talking at all. Otherwise I’d definitely say any of the forbidden trip: Forbidden Island, Forbidden Desert, or Forbidden Sky. All three of them are cooperative games that can be played with up to five people. The more people, the more fun usually had, but that’s just me.

There are a few games that I love:

-Lords of Xidit is a great game for up to five people, it's highly competitive and it even support different group playstyles.

-Dice Forge is amazing. It's for up to 4 people and it has Modular. Freaking. Dice. The whole premise is that you buy your die sides and build your own dice to better suit your playstyle.

-Chameleon is a great party game, you need to hide among your friends and not be found through the themes that were proposed.

-Drill-It! is a great co-op game about finding gems and fighting goblins, and managing your own dwarven mining operation.

Hi there! I love board/cardgames myself and here are some recommendations of games (that haven't been mentioned yet!) we have in our collection right now. All of these are for 2 players or more! :

- Gloom (A horror-esque game where you try to kill your family before the other person does!)
- Dungeon Mayhem (A quick and easy game where you try to kill the others!)
- Not Alone (A Sci-fi themed game where one player is the alien and the other(s) are the 'Hunted'. The rulebook is very... lacking, but with help from some reviewers it's a very fun game!)

Well, I did get myself the Bloodborne card game and the expansion. It's based on the PS4 game, Bloodborne, and I really like it. Once you can understand the rules. You can either help anybody else, or screw them over. You have to know when to choose to fight. If you die, you lose all blood echoes that you didn't store. It gets worse if you include the expansion with the base game. That's the short verison of it. I personally like the game.

There's also the board game of Dark Souls, and it is hard. There's the typical enemies, there's a mini boss, and if you and you're group can make it, the actual boss. It would have triggered ptsd of mine , if we made it that far, and fought Ornstein and Smough. I hate that boss fight, and I hate that area.

The rule book looks like they tried to put the combat system, and the actual game into word form though. It is that long, and complicated.

Games not of the video variety???

Preposterous!

Play some Risk. It's great with a group.

UNO has probably been mentioned before but it's my favorite. Your friends and family will turn on you so fast. XD

Tabletop board games are rad.

Odin's Ravens is a really nice two player game where you are two rival ravens competing to bring messages back to your boss. The theme and mechanics work really well together.
A big hit with my nerd friend group is Alien Frontiers, a worker placement game where you compete to colonise a planet. It's simple in terms of rules but you need to be strategic.
For something more subjective and imaginative, Mysterium is a fun game where one of you plays a ghost and the others play psychics investigating the ghost's murder. The ghost gives bizarre abstract clues to the psychics, like a kind of surrealist Cluedo/Clue.
If you like Codenames you'll love Decrypto - it's basically Codenames but a million times better. It involves teammates giving each other clues to decipher a code and the other team trying to break the code.
I have to second DapperCat with Gloom, it's really funny and you can tell amusing stories.

The Game of thrones boardgame is pretty good. Then there's gloomhaven and of course, if they have it, Hero Quest.

Also if you have the time and a group, DnD is a great tabletop game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back