Video Games Game recommendations with strong leading women

local cryptid

i put the cry in cryptid
9d4ad87b-5963-45a7-bd55-37678420ad51_zpszxyw74iq.png

So I've played Transistor and Child of Light--both of which are excellent.
But do ya'll have any other game recommendations with strong leading women that aren't super sexualized?

The underrated FF13 trilogy might have what you're looking for.

The first one, FF-13, has two (in my opinion). Namely, Lightning and Fang. You get to play as both of the two in various stages of the game.

The second one, FF13-2, has Serah. Though I think she's a lil' whiny bitch, despite the development in her character throughout the story. (I like Noel better as the main character.)

The third and final one, Lightning Returns(or simple FF13-3), has Lightning as the protagonist once again.

As usual, FF games tend to have cheesy stories so I'm not sure if you'd like them, but give them a shot if you would. The content is not too hard, that you'll need to grind hours and whatnot, and it's not too easy that you could steamroll through content by just getting certain things.

Windsock Windsock
I don't know if I can afford Fallout, but it has been on my list for a while.

yonmita rae yonmita rae
Sorry, I don't have a PS4, thank you though. C:

Reinhardt Reinhardt
I have played the first FF13, and though I mostly like Lightning's character, I can't stand the gameplay. I still have tons of pictures of her on my computer though haha.

Don't get fallout 4, get fallout new vegas. Also known as 'the only good 3d one'.

The ultimate edition on steam is like 20 bucks USD, and worth every penny.

Atraxaisbae Atraxaisbae

Ya know, I've never actually played it. I guess I will now.

If you pick up a Metroid game, I'd recommend palying Super Metroid or Metroid Prime first. Depending on how good you are at the whole exploration thing, you may need a walkthrough. The former was originally on the SNES, and the latter was originally on the Gamecube. However, the easiest way to get either of these games is through the Wii U Eshop (Super Metroid's also on 3DS, and the whole Metroid Prime Trilogy is only on Wii U Eshop for now for about $10-$15). I hope they'll both be released for Switch's Eshop soon, though.

Fire Emblem Awakening and Fire Emblem Fates both allow for the main character to be male or female, and I think they're both really fun games. You can get them on 3DS.

Every Touhou game only consists of female characters (unless you count a wise old turtle, a girl's pet cat, and a cloud spirit who have very minor roles), and the games are all free off the Moriya Shrine website. If you have even a quarter-decent computer, you can easily run these games. Unless you're willing to practice bullet hell, though, I'd recommend Touhou 10.5: Scarlet Weather Rhapsody or Touhou 13.5: Hopeless Masquerade.
local cryptid local cryptid

Last edited:

Count Gensokyo Count Gensokyo
I have a gamecube, but no Wii U. I also have an emulator on my computer for DS games so I have played some Fire Emblem games. I agree they are super fun. I love the variety of characters and the gameplay. Thanks for the advice!

In a similar vein, Mass Effect. Amazing game, amazing actress, great writing.

Also, Fallout 1, Portal 2, Metroid except for Other M.

Batman: Arkham City has a great female lead in Catwoman, but she is very highly sexualized. Some of it is fan-service, but it is an actual part of the character's personality as a very sexual woman, so I think it's cool.

Rainbow Six Siege, although it doesn't feature a campaign per se, it's a competitive, challenging multiplayer shooter that requires teamwork and coordination to win, play to win, not pay to win. Does feature an incredible, non stereotypical, diversity forced cast of characters to choose from, including females. I believe there is a PC starter edition for $15, but it's a must play.

Oh, I know some!

Beyond Good and Evil and Mirror's Edge both have leading ladies who are also of Asian descent.

One of my favorite games, Okami, features a main character who's female...and she's also a wolf. : P

Crypt of the Necromancer stars a woman, though you can switch to different characters, including the main character's bamf of a grandma.

Some I haven't played but I'm pretty sure have a female lead: Dishonored 2, NieR: Automata, Gravity Rush, Superbrothers: Sword and Sorcery and ReCore.

Hall Kervean Hall Kervean
Ohh haha I remember borrowing that game from Blockbuster actually. Good recommendation. :P

Error 420 Error 420
I've actually been meaning to look into Mass Effect! I feel like it's one of those games everyone has played at this point and I'm like the only one who hasn't.
Not a huge fan of hero stuff though, or Batman. Thanks for the suggestions!

T TheRockInception
I actually already have that game haha. Thank you though!

Saccharine Cyanide Saccharine Cyanide
Oh oh oh! Mirror's Edge and Okami are beautiful. I don't know how I could have forgotten about them.
Beyond Good and Crypt of the Necromancer seems amazing though. I totally added those to my list, thank you!

Oh yeah, did you see that game series that I mentioned above called Touhou? I was wondering, since you mentioned the other series besides it.

I have played the first FF13, and though I mostly like Lightning's character, I can't stand the gameplay. I still have tons of pictures of her on my computer though haha.

Well, JRPGs don't tend to suit everyone's tastes. I assume you prefer games that have less battle gameplay and more story-oriented stuff? In that case, then I'd recommend Beyond Two Souls.

Count Gensokyo Count Gensokyo
Oh, I'm sorry I didn't see that. I looked it up and I'm now literally working on putting it on my computer. Thank you so much. C:

Reinhardt Reinhardt
Yeah, I'm a sucker for a good story in a game. My friend has been bugging me about Beyond Two Souls, isn't it for the PS3?

I haven't personally played it, as I've only played the first one, but from my experience the game is simply amazing. Dishonored 2 features a very strong female lead, who is very independent. Good to look into.

Also, the Tomb Raider series is also outstanding in terms of gameplay. She may seem to be somewhat sexualized as she is aesthetically attractive, but it doesn't intentionally focus on it. It's all about the storyline, and they do a really good job at making it about a young woman struggling to survive using her wits, and strong will. Great game all around; I highly recommend it.

Life is strange is a narrative based game where each decision determines the outcome of the game. Based on the life of a college girl, it has a suburban feel to it, and is lead by a intuitive but introverted girl.

All of these games should fit the "not overly sexualized and stereotypical" female leads.

Cool! If you have any troubles with installation or getting an English patch (which you shouldn't have much of), then you can tag me again. And if you end up finding yourself a favorite character to play as, humor me a bit and let me know who that is.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back