• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Gaia, the Lonely Skies | D&D 5th Edition (Closed)

If you're still looking for people, I'd be interested. Never played D&D before, but I could throw together a character sheet - maybe a half-elf warlock?

Ness Ness , of course! You can either start at level 3 with the current party or at level 1 and wait for a different game if you're more comfortable with less upfront setup.

I think I'd rather join the existing group. Here's my sheet, the personality-related stuff doesn't show up on the link so I put all that under the spoiler:

Lysander Girault
Warlock (The Archfey)
1634761420683.pngAge: 25 | Gender: Male | Height: 6'1" | Weight: 150 lbs | Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Background: Noble
Position of Privilege:
Thanks to your noble birth, people are inclined to think the best of you. You are welcome in high society, and people assume you have the right to be wherever you are. The common folk make every effort to accommodate you and avoid your displeasure, and other people of high birth treat you as a member of the same social sphere. You can secure an audience with a local noble if you need to.

Personality Traits
  • My favor, once lost, is lost forever.
  • I take great pains to always look my best and follow the latest fashions.

Ideals
Responsibility. It is my duty to respect the authority of those above me, just as those below me must respect mine.

Bonds
Nothing is more important than the other members of my family.

Flaws
I secretly believe that everyone is beneath me.

Integrities
  • I don't make mistakes. I might occasionally do something that looks ill-advised or downright stupid, but I know what I'm doing. Trust me.
  • I always follow through on my commitments.

Image: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/8oDmw

Last edited:
Desperate Defense sounds interesting!

XKHDV97.jpg

Carl Flatroot
Half-Orc Fighter (Battle Master)

Level: 3 | XP: 900

HP: 28/28 | Hit Dice: 3/3, d10 | AC: 12 | Speed: 30ft | Proficiency Bonus: +2

STR: 17 (+3) | DEX: 13 (+1)| CON: 14 (+2) | INT: 8 (-1) | WIS: 12 (+1) | CHA: 12 (+1)

Saving Throws
STR: +5 | DEX: +1 | CON: +3 | INT: -1 | WIS: +1 | CHA: +1

Skills
Acrobatics: +1Animal Handling: +1Arcana: -1
Athletics: +5 (prof)Deception: +1History: -1
Insight: +3 (prof)Intimidation: +3 (prof)Investigation: -1
Medicine: +1Nature: -1Perception: +1
Performance: +1Persuasion: +1Religion: -1
Sleight of Hand: +1Stealth: +1Survival: +3 (prof)

Passive WIS (Perception): 11

Weapon Proficiencies: Simple, martial
Armor Proficiencies: All armor, shields
Tool Proficiencies: Smith's tools, dice, vehicles (land) (or if I may customize from the background a bit, maybe carpenter's tools instead?)
Language Proficiencies: Common

Height: 6'3"
Weight: 192lbs
Appearance: Carl has a messy crop of black hair and a scruffy beard. Scars adorn his face and other parts of his muscled body.

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Integrities:
Life should never be taken too seriously. He never wants it to get under his skin.

Risks can have great payoffs...and can sometimes be the cure for boredom.

Personality Traits
He's ready to fire off a quip in almost any situation, including those that are inappropriate.

Loves a good insult, even those directed at him--most of the time; even he may have cracks in the armor.

In his mind, those who seem the fairest often have the most to hide.

He can stare down a hellhound without flinching.

Ideals
Life isn't worth living if one isn't getting dirty from time to time.

Bonds
The last exchange with his mentor has stuck with him. When the memory grates, or someone calls him out on his irresponsibility or less-than-stellar character, it often compels him to do something upstanding, to offset the feeling that he really is trash.

He has a kid who doesn't know him, and he would rather keep it that way.

Flaws
Alas, he doesn't speak Orc.

Domesticated animals tend to dislike him. He doesn't really know why. (Penalty to animal handling, maybe?)

Has a weakness for the vices of the city.

A scandal prevents him from returning home. That kind of trouble seems to follow him around.

Might make the wrong decision even when he knows it's a bad idea...

Background
Soldier

Backstory
When the villagers found the baby, apparently abandoned, crying on the outskirts, well, some of them didn't quite no what to do. Adopting a half-orc seemed like trouble, but a blacksmith couple decided to take him in as their own alongside the other son they had.

There might have been reason to worry about trouble. Rowdiness and mischief were as much a part of his childhood as the crops and the chores: throwing cow piles at Mr. Odendirk's house, sneaking out at night, nicking from Ms. Windpetal's clothesline to dress a scarecrow, getting into scraps with other boys because they wanted to challenge the half-orc. These were just a few of the things he got tangled in.

At 17, monsters attacked. He pitched in to defend the village. It sparked an interest and it almost seemed as though he was shaping up, but then he might have gotten the reeve's son drunk, locked him in the stockade, and bare-assed him. In his defense, not many liked the son and Carl might have had a little help from one of the guards, but it was solely him who took the fall, not only with the village, but with that humble blacksmith couple, too. Enough was enough. They told him to leave.

So he left and never went back. He found his way into a mercenary company. He got close to its leader--real close, for a couple of years, until it petered out on its own. But the man was also a mentor to the half-orc and taught him how to fight tactically. Somehow, those years saw his best behavior, too, not that he was a saint by any stretch of the imagination, nor was he free from making questionable life choices. One involved having a fling with a lady in a city they were visiting. He accidentally got her pregnant. He decided to flee than to assume the responsibility that the lady expected of him, losing the respect of his then-leader in the process.

That was about four years ago. He's tried to recreate the same magic with other groups or work partners, and it has been mostly unsuccessful. Maybe the next attempt will be a winner.

Fighting Style: Dueling - When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other Weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to Damage Rolls with that weapon.

Maneuver Save DC: 13
Superiority Dice: 4, d8
Maneuvers:
Distracting Strike
Riposte
Sweeping Attack

Attacks

Equipment
Leather armor
Longbow
20 arrows
Longsword
Halberd
2 handaxes
Explorer Pack
Bone dice set
Common clothes
10 GP

I have another half-orc if Carl isn't catching interest so much, or if it might sound more appealing/fitting: the other is a battle master, too, but a NG, protective soldier or guard.

(Edited to correct the HP; I forgot to apply the CON modifier for 2nd and 3rd level.)

Last edited:
Hello! Is Desperate Defense still recruiting? I'd like to play a soft-spoken & curious hunter (tiefling ranger!).

I'm interested in the Desperate Defence but I was wondering, as I might have missed it somewhere, how is the starting gold being decided or is it a case of you chose from the starting gear of the class and background?

StorybookParagon StorybookParagon Here he is! One Justice "Jay" Tialgo, from the southernmost end of whatever you've decided to invent.

Justice Tialgo (Jay)
Tiefling Ranger

Level: 3 | XP: 900

HP: 25/25 | Hit Dice: 3/3, d10 | AC: 12 | Speed: 30ft | Proficiency Bonus: +2

STR: 12 (+1) | DEX: 14 (+2)| CON: 13 (+1) | INT: 11 (+0) | WIS: 15 (+2) | CHA: 10 (+0)

Saving Throws
STR: +3 | DEX: +4 | CON: +1 | INT: +0 | WIS: +2 | CHA: +0

Skills
Acrobatics: +2Animal Handling: +4Arcana: +0
Athletics: +1 (prof)Deception: +0History: +0
Insight: +4 (prof)Intimidation: +0 (prof)Investigation: +01
Medicine: +4Nature: +0Perception: +4
Performance: +0Persuasion: +0Religion: +2
Sleight of Hand: +2Stealth: +2Survival: +2 (prof)
Passive WIS (Perception): 14

Weapon Proficiencies: Simple, martial
Armor Proficiencies: Light & medium armor, shields
Tool Proficiencies: Herbalism kit
Language Proficiencies: Common, Infernal, Draconic, Orc

Height: 5'10"
Weight: 130 lbs
Appearance: Red skin, yellow eyes with slit pupils, and black hair that's badly in need of a trim. When you say "tiefling", Jay is exactly what pops into the average person's mind. He walks with a slight limp and has an absolutely massive scar over the left side of his ribcage.

Alignment: Neutral Good.

Integrities:
I say what I mean, and only speak when I have something meaningful to say.

If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.

Personality Traits:
Curious, determined, deeply socially awkward.

Ideals:
The natural world is full of wonders that man has yet to discover--and I'll be the one to discover them.

Bonds:
I believe that my family and friends are still alive. I hope to see them again one day.

Flaws:
My curiosity frequently gets the best of me.

No one is as competent as I am. I'm always waiting for my companions to screw up.

Background
Hermit

Backstory
Justice Tialgo was born in a city in a forest so far south that it might as well have been the end of the world. People there were used to strangeness, and two tieflings--Justice and his mother--were far from the strangest thing they'd seen. The city accepted them, more or less. Justice's mother never said where she'd been before that.

Legends said that long ago, a dark wizard had carried out experiments on the people and animals of the forest. Or maybe it had been a demon, or a displeased god--nobody was really sure. In any case, there were nearly as many monstrosities in the woods as there were regular creatures. The Verdant Guard were a coalition of rangers who hunted and killed these creatures. As soon as he was tall enough to draw a bow, Justice joined them.

Not all monsters were beasts, however. When Justice was 23, an invading army attacked and destroyed his city. In the ensuing fight, Justice was trampled by a horse, his legs and ribs shattered, and left to die in the woods by friends who couldn't hope to carry him and escape themselves.

He attributes his survival to the gods--nothing else could have broken his fever. Still, by the time he was lucid and well enough to walk, everyone he knew was a prisoner, dead, or nowhere to be found. He spent a very long time in the woods by himself, trying to figure out a way to free his comrades; longer still traveling north through the jungle, until it turned into colder forest. He got a little...weird, spending two years alone.

Here Is my Warlock so far. Other things have popped up making it so that I was unable to complete them today. As far as I am aware, there are only a few things that I need to finish on it and then I can say it's done. If their is anything on it that you need me to change then please let me know or if you want to question me about something then please ask away.

Attachments

• Friendly and Family-Oriented Wanderer.pdf
    628.7 KB · Views: 7
StorybookParagon StorybookParagon
Alrighty! I think out group needs a healer.

Which goes good with one of the concepts I been meaning to try out that can do a little healing.

Since the other party has a shy and anxious cleric, she seems a real sweetheart...

I think im going to go the opposite way. A loud and snappy druid. Circle of Spores with some spell focus on healing.

As for race! Well I'm still trying to get a gnoll into a lasting play. So might, by chance, I be able to play as gnoll? StorybookParagon StorybookParagon

There are some decent gnoll homebrew sheets for their races out there. But I can also just modify an established racial template, like the Bugbear, if that is a more digestible approach.

D. Rex D. Rex , sure. We can just use Custom Lineage from TCoE and make up a "Gnoll Feat." Any particular traits you want to adapt from the Gnolls? I'm thinking that a Gnoll would definitely need the Rampage trait from the Gnolls and possible both the Hungry Jaws and Bite Attack from Lizardfolk.

D. Rex D. Rex , sure. We can just use Custom Lineage from TCoE and make up a "Gnoll Feat." Any particular traits you want to adapt from the Gnolls? I'm thinking that a Gnoll would definitely need the Rampage trait from the Gnolls and possible both the Hungry Jaws and Bite Attack from Lizardfolk.

Well looking around. Here is one I found that seemed pretty fleshed out. And took into account some of the things you mentioned. Though admittedly the ability scores can get a bit spread out. But some of the racial feets are very gnollish.

Gnolls - a Race of Ferocious Hyenafolk for 5e by Monco

When I think gnoll, definitely some of the traits I think about are constitution and strength. Them being savage scavengers as well.

And Hungry Jaws and Rampage both sound like good choices for a gnoll, tbh. And a bite attack is definitely necessary. (Though I can get around the bite with the Primal Savagery druid cantrip).

Some other trait ideas might be some resistance or the like to poison or disease. That seems to be in the wheelhouse of hyena folk.

Blackfang Gnoll with Wisdom bonus instead of Strength bonus is fine.
Easy peasy. I can start writing that out then.

Do you want me to use that gnoll brew as a basis, or focus in the custom lineage from tcoe? Or that one you were suggesting?

I have no particular preference and can work with any version you like!

It's done. If anything needs changing then please let me know.

Attachments

• Friendly and Family-Oriented Wanderer.pdf
    632.2 KB · Views: 10
Easy peasy. I can start writing that out then.

Do you want me to use that gnoll brew as a basis, or focus in the custom lineage from tcoe? Or that one you were suggesting?

I have no particular preference and can work with any version you like!
I can handle the HB link you gave, at least the Blackfang Gnoll subrace. You can swap the STR to WIS from that subrace.

Zudya the ApprenticeDruid (Circle of Spores) LV3 | Gnoll | Chaotic Neutral | Outlander

• Current HP: 24
    Max. HP: 24
    Temporary HP: -

AC: 13 | Speed: 30ft| Darkvision: 60ft | Size: Medium
    Proficiency bonus: +2

Passive Perception: +3
    Passive Investigation: +3
    Passive Insight: +3

Initiative: +2 | Inspiration: -
    Hit dice: d8 | Total hit dice: 3d8

Death Saves:
    Successes ○○○ | Failures ○○○

Ability scores:

Strength: 13 +1
    Dexterity: 14 +2
    Constitution: 14 +2
    Intelligence: 10 +0
    Wisdom: 16 +3
    Charisma: 8 +1

Saving throws:

Strength: +1
    Dexterity: +2
    Constitution: +2
    Intelligence: +2
    Wisdom: +5

Charisma: +0

Abilities:
    Acrobatics: +2
    Animal Handling: +3
    Arcana: +0
    *Athletics: +3
    Deception: -1
    History: +0
    Insight: +3
    *Intimidation: +1
    Investigation: +0
    *Medicine: +5
    *Nature: +2
    Perception: +3
    Performance: -1
    Persuasion: -1
    Religion: +0
    Sleight of Hand: +2
    Stealth: +2
    *Survival: +5

Other proficiencies:
    Light/Medium Armor, Shields

Club, Dagger, Dart, Javelin, Mace, Quarterstaff, Scimitar, Sickle, Sling, Spear

Birdpipes, Herbalism Kit

Languages: Common, Abyssal(Gnoll), Sylvan, Druidic

Attacks:

Attack/Damage/Range

Bite: +3 | 1d4+1 piercing | 5ft
    Scimitar: +4 | 1d6+2 slashing | 5ft
    Sling: +4 | 1d4+2 bludgeoning |30/120ft

Spell
    Primal Savagery: +5 | 1d10 acid | 5ft
    Chill Touch: +5 | 1d8 necrotic | 120ft

Reaction
    Halo Spores: Con13|1d4 Necrotic |10ft