• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern G.O.D.S.: Season 1 [Mature Content]

M.J. Saulnier

Semi-Retired User
(They say you've got to write what you know. Seems like as good'a place as any to start over again.)​

G.O.D.S. is based on a real street I lived on for two and a half years. The geography has been changed, and all characters are fictional.

GODS Logo1.png
Gangsters of Dawn Street

“It ain’t the competition I’m worried about, Cuz. I put you on, you become just as liable as the next man. You feel me? It’s about liability. It's because I like you...I don’t want your Moms to have to bury another son.” — Big Dee

Description

Very mature content and themes.
G.O.D.S follows the lives of the residents of several apartments located on an inner city culdesac.
It will explore gang and criminal violence, as well as police corruption.
This RP is not a low brow story that celebrates crime, violence and drugs. But rather a tragic tale of reality.
It follows the everyday lives of individuals and the street level crime and drama they are caught up in.​

Setting

Dawn Street is an ethnically diverse, impoverished area of a yet unnamed city in the state of New York.
The city is divided by rival turfs and the street level gangs that represent them.

Plot

Daniel 'Dazzy' Carver, a young man from Dawn Street, is shot, killed, and left in the streets. The small community around the culdesac is left in deep mourning. Sonny Cullen places a call to his older brother Kaleb "K.C." Cullen, who is living on the west coast. The news of Dazzy's death brings K.C. home, where he finds that his old neighborhood has changed. K.C. will search for answers into the death of Dazzy as he deals with problems within his own family, Dazzy's family, as well as around the neighborhood.

Keeping things simplified for the Interest Check.​

Last edited:
Hey! I might be interested, though I have one question! If we play gangmembers, will we be able to form a few gangs? Or would we all be in one gang?

Hey! I might be interested, though I have one question! If we play gangmembers, will we be able to form a few gangs? Or would we all be in one gang?

The primary protag gang is the Dawn Street crew. A very loose organization. Try not to think gang in terms of Piru and Crip, but more-so a group of people who have to band together a bit to protect themselves and their neighborhoods. Both piru and crips started out the same, but they've grown and structured themselves much more over the decades.

Other gangs are welcome within reason, I mean I don't want it to become 'Gang Wars' or anything like that.

Personally what drew me in is the potential chaos and violence within the group of RPers, now I'm not fully sure what the elaborate version of this will be (since this one is simplified!) So it's a tentative interest from me, depending on what else will be revealed. :3

This RP is not a low brow story that celebrates crime, violence and drugs. But rather a tragic tale of reality.

It's more of a character driven drama, than a gang shoot out. Season 2 may see the violence escalate to new heights, but expect S1 to be rather introductory. It will take a bit just to find out exactly who killed Dazzy, and why.

There has to be a clear purpose for each gang; a firm place for them within the story. If crime and street life isn't something you're actually familiar with, this might not be for you. It's probably a bit different than the average crime or gang RP, because it's firmly rooted in reality. The more violence, the more characters end up dead or in jail.

There's really not much more to be revealed. It's a crime drama about the people who live this street, and their enemies.

It's more of a character driven drama, than a gang shoot out. Season 2 may see the violence escalate to new heights, but expect S1 to be rather introductory. It will take a bit just to find out exactly who killed Dazzy, and why.

There has to be a clear purpose for each gang; a firm place for them within the story. If crime and street life isn't something you're actually familiar with, this might not be for you. It's probably a bit different than the average crime or gang RP, because it's firmly rooted in reality. The more violence, the more characters end up dead or in jail.

There's really not much more to be revealed. It's a crime drama about the people who live this street, and their enemies.

Can't say I'm IRL familiar with this type of streetlife- I am familiar with living on the streets and the like but this seems to be based more on American experience? :O If so I have like no experience with it. (And definitely not with gangs!) So if the experience is needed then I won't be a good fit no. :(

I'm Canadian, so not really based on any sort of experience you can't find in Canada as well. I've never been in a real 'gang' either, lol.

I've never been part of a gang or anything like that. The real life crew on Dawn Street was never a gang, as hard as they tried. I lived there for two and a half years. I landed in the city of Halifax with nothing but my bus ticket in my pocket, hit up the shelter for a spell before I got a cheap 2 bedroom in 15 Dawn Street. I recall coming down the street, into the culdesac, and thinking, 'no fucking way can I live here without putting some crackhead in a bodybag.' I mean we're talking a total slum. But I looked at the apartment, and it was surprisingly nice, as it had been recently renovated.

16 was the real shit-hole. It was infested with roaches and bed bugs, rats, crackheads, junkies, etc. They had been fighting tooth and nail to keep 15 decent, and the property manager lived in the apartment next to mine, with an office on the basement floor.

I ended up taking the unit just to get out of the shelter, which was a whole other thing, lol. I never intended on staying that long, but it sucks you in, man. It all started when I went back to the shelter, and left a key with my address with the staff (who I knew well at that point) to get a buddy of mine out of there, since I had the second room. He ended up getting a place in 16, the shit-hole building.

Fast forward a few months, I'm going over to 16 to hang out with him from time to time, and now everyone on that side knows A: Who I am, B: Where I'm from, and C: that I'm good people. Because when you move to a neighborhood like that, rumors an suspicion run wild. Is he a rat? A Narc? What's his story? And we all know what people are like. They want to seem like they are in the know, so they make up stories.

Anyway, long story short, I ran with the Dawn crew, I even sold crack cocaine. Through this endeavor I began to develop an investment in the neighborhood, because a lot of these "fiends" are real people. Someone's kid, parent, brother, sister. Not each and every one are low-life scum, although many are.

It all went to shit when a young man, only 17, overdosed on opiates on his mother's living room floor. My friend's little brother, no less. I got word from the super-attendant that a raid was coming to my door only weeks after the funeral, so I cut my loses and left everything. (It wasn't that I had sold him the dope that killed him, but law enforcement was cracking down in response to public outrage) Went home to the Island where I've been since.

That's the history of it. As close I came to being in a 'gang'. I don't want people to think I'm some ride or die thug waving gang colors. It's simply not like that. I'm no angel, but I'm not scum either. I'm not proud of pedaling junk, but you do what you have to do. It's never been easy for a guy like me to get work. Once you have a criminal record, society writes you off, period.

This is a picture of the real 16 Dawn, before the city shut down all of that landlord's slums properties.
16-Dawn-Avenue.jpg

(Yes, that's a grocery cart sitting outside...yeah. It was that kinda crack spot.)

As a bright side to this story, the buildings have been renovated and converted into affordable housing.

If you want to read about that you can do so here.

Last edited:
Oh no that's not what I meant! I'm so sorry. I meant that I've not come into contact / or experienced / or even heard of a gang in my country (the country I come from). Hence I don't have any type of experience with such things. I'm so sorry for what you went through, I understand the struggles of homelessness, but I definitely haven't experienced a 'crew' like that, or that stuff. Again I apologise if my message came across in a negative fashion. ;3;

No no, not at all DapperCat DapperCat . You didn't come off any sort of way. I just thought I'd put the whole story on the table, give a bit of background on the location, and where I'm coming from. I don't want to give the impression that I'm some gang banging thug, which one might assume based on the OP. ^_^

Your message didn't come across negatively at all, I just thought I'd share the real life story of what inspired this RP.

On an unrelated note, I forgot to mention something. I have one female character that can be taken and played by someone. She's the younger sister of Dazzy Carver, and Mason Carver (K.C.'s best friend, probably played by myself). She's also the long-term love interest of K.C.. I say long-term because she's only 17 when the RP begins, and K.C. is 25. He's been on the west coast living in California for the last five years, so the last time he would have seen her, she was 12. At the funeral for Dazzy, he barely recognizes her as a young woman.

I can play her if absolutely necessary, but it's a good role for someone, should they find it appealing.

No other specific roles. The rest are up to the writers to create. I mean, there are a few that could be taken like Big Dee, but no other specific roles.

First off, this is such a great idea for an RP and I love that it's from your life <3 I've experienced some of the same (more from a bystanders point of view than anything really) so I get it.

Second, I'd love to play that female role! I think it'd be dope to do.

damn- i am more than interested in this. your experience sounds gut-wrenching and riveting at the same time [i hope i am not being insensitive when i say that- i don't mean to]. in fact, it saddens me. i have personally never experienced this sort of situation first hand, but i do know people who have or are experiencing it. it is dreadful. i am also very involved with learning all about these unfortunate "living conditions" [university stuff. my future employment is reliant on understanding- im sorry, i feel like is should explain myself-]
never have i seen an interest check ive so desperately wanted to scream about [in the best way]. if you'll have me, i'm looking forward to creating a grounded female. most likely in her early to mid 20s. it should be noted, listening to the music you linked [whilst reading] also helped in my excitement for the potential in this roleplay ;P

[i know melanin's expressed her interest, but on the very off chance she doesn't go ahead. I'm more than glad to play that female as well- i would never presume to try and take it from her]

hope you don't mind me asking to make my character one of Daniel's family members [sister or cousin, etc] ??. if yes, what ethnicity are they? if not, that's all good :) [there's a chance I would rather play another ethnicity anyways]

hope you don't mind me asking to make my character one of Daniel's family members [sister or cousin, etc] ??. if yes, what ethnicity are they? if not, that's all good :) [there's a chance I would rather play another ethnicity anyways]

Daniel's father is African-American, and his mother is Caucasian, so that family is mixed ethnicity. As a cousin, you'd have room to mix it up depending on what parent's side you chose to be related to.

Daniel's father is African-American, and his mother is Caucasian, so that family is mixed ethnicity. As a cousin, you'd have room to mix it up depending on what parent's side you chose to be related to.
sounds good :)
i'd like to create a cousin then, unsure if she'll be from the mother's or father's side. I'll look for faceclaims now to help me decide, but i do know i'd like her to be half latin. central american or mexican preferrably~
update/edit: decided on the mother's side. fc is ana de armas

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back