• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Sephus

Roleplay Type(s)
Hi there,

Thanks for checking out my interest check. It's a bit of a read, but I hope you'll enjoy it nonetheless.

About me:
  • I'm a 30 year old male living on the West Coast of Canada (PT: Pacific Time).
  • I work from home and I read daily. Further down, I'll talk about my reading.
  • What I'm hoping to implement is writing daily. I thought getting back into roleplaying may help induce that.
  • Roleplaying's the goal, however OOC's more than welcome. No topic is off the table.
    • Aside from finding a roleplay partner, I'm also looking for fellow writers to chat with.
  • I have a solo writing project I'm chipping away at, on and off.
    • The project is a fantasy-fiction novel I'm hoping to complete within the next five years.
    • So far, I have a rough idea of what sorts of characters I want to develop and the direction I want to take the story. I've started on the first religion, and I'm slowly formulating a geographical map, albeit in my head.
    • I've written the beginning of a short story that won't be included in the novel. It's rather a precursor and separate body of work. It gets me writing and helps world-build indirectly by way of contributing to the lore for my novel.
    • I have the goal of writing a sci-fi novel after this one, or at least eventually.
  • I am not everyone's cup of tea. Looking back at all my relationships and interactions with others, the recurring sentiment is: I am weird.
    • I'm typically okay with talking about anything.
    • I often play devil's advocate, but for sake of a balanced conversation and not out of spite.
    • My ADHD has me going off on tangents at times, but my recent adoption of medication has curbed that slightly.
    • I can also be very blunt. Call me out anytime, in the event I say or write something that makes you uncomfortable.
  • Am I oversharing? Probably. But this is simply an attempt to familiarize you, the reader of this interest check, with whom you'll be engaging with, if you choose to.

Preferences & Expectations for Role-Playing:
    • I prefer M/F, where I heavily lean towards playing as a male for my main character. I can play and enjoy playing multiple characters.
  • Response lengths:
    • I prefer writing and receiving longer replies, as opposed to one liners or single paragraphs. As to the exact length, I leave that up to the context and dynamics of the roleplay at hand.
  • Frequency of responses:
    • I'll try to respond to an RP at least once a day. However, if you prefer to respond less frequently, that's fine as well.
  • Roleplay writing format:
    • I write in 3rd-person and past-tense. I appreciate proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation when role-playing.
  • Age restriction:
    • Please be 18+.
  • Face-claims:
    • I don't use them. I'm not opposed to my partner using them.
  • Character Sheets:
    • I only use these for reference sake, e.g.: in an RP with many characters.
    • I prefer growth, development, and information about characters to be conveyed through writing.
  • Ghosting:
    • Ghost me. I dare you :3 Yea, no, ghosting's fine. However, I am open to talk about what didn't work out, not necessarily in hopes of reviving anything; rather, criticisms regarding writing or my personal shortcomings and quirks are always helpful, as I am always trying to grow as an individual, writer, and role-player.

Genres of interest:
  • Futuristic/ Sci-fi:
    • Really, any time setting that's not strictly our modern and contemporary world. It could even be akin to our reality, but with futuristic or alternative spins on it (e.g.: Black Mirror, Children of Men). Or far into the future works as well, but I would prefer to delve into an original universe. I probably draw inspiration from Mass Effect, Ender's Game (only read the first two), and others of sci-fi-y nature. It can be challenging, and that's what I'm looking for.
  • Fantasy:
    • High-fantasy or low-fantasy work for me. Fantasy races and beasts are optional too. Fantasy is definitely my comfort pick.
  • Historical:
    • This interests me as well, but more so for the ambience and setting, over historical accuracy and adherence. Mostly because I'm not intimately familiar with most historical periods, but choosing such a setting helps discern clothing, attitudes, and political dynamics. I have, in the past, taken a deeper interest in The Romance Of The Three Kingdoms, albeit through the Dynasty Warriors games (2-5).
  • Feel free to propose any that I haven't listed.

Themes of Interest: My thoughts.
  • Romance:
    • I'm a romantic at heart. Though, it doesn't need to be a central theme, but it's always nice to have this somewhere in the plot and between certain characters. Bonus points for love-triangles (or what ever geometrical shape) and/or unrequited love(s). I'm also a fan of love's underbelly: angst, heart-break, and cuckoldry.
  • Drama:
    • Characters are interacting with other characters, so there's bound to be some spicy drama.
  • Politics:
    • Power-grabs, power-shifts, backstabbing, changes of heart, bribery, manipulation, black-mail, rebellions, wet-works, espionage, all the good stuff.
  • Dynasties:
    • What better to drive a wedge between characters than culturally induced segregation and arbitrary enforcement of it.
  • Mystery:
    • Never tried this, but could be fun.
  • Feel free to propose any that I haven't listed.

Genre/ theme not of interest:
  • Fandoms:
    • Sorry! I have plans of writing my own novel one day, so I only write original content and about original characters. I enjoy the consumption of movies, shows, and books, but I don't write about them. Thanks for understanding.
  • Realistic:
    • Mentioned briefly above, I'm not terribly interested in writing about strictly conventional and realistic stories. If they are realistic, I'm hoping there would be some sort of spin or twist on it. Perhaps an alternate universe similar to ours, but to play characters that may live next door or that one can easily copy & paste themselves onto feels a little trite and unadventurous. That's just me. Not sure where that bias and dislike for this theme comes from, but yea.

Role suggestions: These are in no way restricted as they are, and may be tweaked, changed, altered to your liking. I can play any of the roles.
Also, it's not a must to select from here. If you have a pairing or role you'd like to play, propose away.
  • Master x Slave
  • Runaway Slaves/ Prisoners
  • Heroes On A Quest
  • Hero x Villain
  • Hero x Commoner
  • Villain x Commoner
  • Monarch/ Royalty x Consort/ Common-Born
  • Hunter x Hunted
  • Belonging to Opposing Families
  • Forbidden Relationships (18+ characters only)
  • Manipulator x Manipulated

Role Attributes/ Dynamics: Brief thoughts and/or description.
What kinds of characters I feel confident in playing.
  • An authoritarian figure: I can be mean :)
  • A sympathetic figure: I can be nice :)
  • A partner to-be: Could be any kind of partnership, depending on the genre.
  • An F-boi: You read that correctly.
  • A superior/ subordinate: Again… kinda vague, but at least there's a direction.
  • An enemy/ rival: Maybe plays into the dynastical themes, but not limited to that. Could also be belonging to a class or occupation that exists in conflict with your character's.
  • Hard to get (Or the opposite)
  • Cold or Emotionally detached/ Repressed (Or the opposite)

Modes of communication (in order of preference):
  1. Discord
  2. Skype
  3. RPN Threads
  4. Google Docs
  5. RPN DMs

A fair warning:
  • My writing muse comes and goes as it pleases. Why art thou so fickle. But hey, what's more tragic than a writer not writing at all. Also, I find some writing styles don't mesh well together, so if things don't work out, please don't take it personally, nor will I. If anything, it's me.

So, if after all of that mediocrity, you're still interested, shoot me a DM. Please and thank you.

Good luck and happy partner hunting! <3

===

Misc. info in the spoiler below: Thought it'd be fun to share (:

My Reading (Since mid-2020)
  • Currently reading:
    • Modern Man in Search of a Soul (Carl Jung)
    • Game of Thrones (Re-reading for inspiration)
    • Rites and Symbols of Initiation (Mircea Eliade)
  • Completed:
    • The Birth and Death of Meaning
    • The Sacred and The Profane
    • Myth and Reality
    • The Dictator's Handbook
    • Getting Things Done
    • The Speaker of the Dead
    • Pure, White, and Deadly
    • Still the Mind
    • Rich Dad, Poor Dad
    • The Denial of Death
  • Incomplete (books that have been put down for a while):
    • Kushiel's Dart
    • Lord of the Rings
    • Mythos
    • The Body Keeps Score
    • Hold Me Tight
    • The Intelligent Negotiator
    • Breath
    • Beyond Good & Evil
    • The Plant Paradox
    • Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
    • Behold a Pale Horse

Topics of Interest:
  • Fasting
  • Keto
  • Psychology
  • Mental Health
  • Physical Health
  • Conspiracy Theories :3

Games of Interest:
  • Ongoing:
    • Dragon Age: Origins
    • Overwatch
  • Favorites:
    • Persona 5
    • Witcher 3
    • Dragon Age trilogy
    • Mass Effect trilogy
    • Final Fantasy VII, IX, X, XIV
    • The Sims
    • GTA V

Shows of Interest:
  • Boku No Hero Academia
  • Shingeki no Kyojin
  • One Punch Man
  • Mob-Psycho
  • Luther
  • Hannibal
  • Black Mirror
  • Sherlock

Movies of Interest:
  • Children of Men
  • Marvel Movies (recently re-watched them all)
  • Justice League (Zack Snyder's cut)
  • John Wick trilogy
  • Her
  • Blade Runner and the sequel
  • Star Trek trilogy
  • Tropa D'Elite
  • Ghost in the Shell
  • Inception
  • Interstellar
  • Tenet
  • Batman trilogy (Nolan's)
  • Cloud Atlas