• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

FULL! CLOSED!

paiyu

Stardust
(I am NOT the original poster of this content! It was originally posted on D&D beyond, but we are really looking for players, so we've decided to spread to other sites in search as well! ^^ From this point on, ALL of the info is copied and pasted from the original post!)

Hello! My name is Jul. I am a 30-year-old European woman, and this is my attempt at gathering interested parties to a written Curse of Strahd-campaign!
I will start off by clarifying that I am specifically looking for writers my own age to play with, meaning people in their late twenties and thirties.

• Two years of roleplaying experience (Dungeons & Dragons 5e)
I was introduced to roleplaying almost two years ago, and since then I have been part of multiple campaigns. Through this experience I have become quite familiar with the game rules, the lore of Faerûn specifically, and with what style I prefer as a player. What I have discovered is that I have a strong preference for heavy roleplay-based campaigns where the players take great care to stay true to character and approach the campaign as a collaborative story-writing-process.

I am thinking of setting up a Discord-server for the campaign. Discord is a good way to organize the campaign with channels for story progression, dice-rolling, handouts, general chat etc.

• Looking for experienced writers
I take great care to flesh out the character I'm playing, and I am interested in exploring and getting to know your character, as well. I will develop my character according to what the group is like, what relationship I build with your characters, and how the story progresses. It is therefore very important to me that the players (and DM!) are invested in their own character's story, motivations, relationships and development. This both applies to the character creation and the in-game development. I would prefer to play with players who are experienced in writing, and who are capable of producing interesting, thought-out and well-written posts that engage the world and the other players.

As a player, you do not necessarily need to be very experienced in the Dungeons & Dragons system - however I would prefer to play with skilled writers.
As a DM it would be best if you are familiar with the RPG-system itself, the lore and (preferably) the module Curse of Strahd, on top of being a skilled writer.

• Looking for an active group
What I am hoping to achieve is a group that is able to post at least once per day. Each post should be a couple of paragraphs long, at least, so we as players can get a deeper sense of your character, their behavior, reactions and personality. This is important, as I am not interested in posts that contain only a reply or a single sentence action (chat-type responses). It requires some writing skill on the players' and DM's part, and some investment in the story we are writing together!

• Why Curse of Strahd? (DM: It does not have to be completely "by the book")
The old gothic mood and the classic vampire story is intriguing to me. If you are a DM interested in running this campaign, I would love for you to make the world, the characters and the lore of the Curse of Strahd-module your own. It is a wonderful campaign story with interesting challenges and opportunities to interact with the world without always drawing a sword. I would be delighted to see what you as a DM will do with the content, what changes you make and what you decide to do with the various interesting NPCs. I love the module because it builds on old horror stories I love, on classic dark myths and monsters, and because at the center of it stands a human - albeit a corrupted and undead one - but humans, I think, make for the most alluring and dangerous villains. Make it your own!

OH! And DM - I would like to use Unearthed Arcana-content, and (approved) homebrew content!

• Why "Play-by-Post"?
Storytelling is what got me hooked on the Dungeons & Dragons-system. For me, it has been a great tool for interactive storytelling and a wonderful creative outlet. My background is not from computer-gaming or otherwise, but from creative writing and theatre. I'm interested in the story, in the characters, and in creating something interesting and engaging in a creative group. The goal is not to solve quests or score points, but to use the system as a tool for writing a story together. I think a written campaign allows for far more in-depth exploration of the characters, as it lets you think for a moment before you make a decision. It also means we bypass scheduling-conflicts entirely!

• Let me introduce myself...
The character I mean to play is a human Bard named Jade.

"There is something elegant about the way he carries himself. Tall and graceful with lean muscles and elegant aristocratic features. He is a dancer. You can tell by his very posture. Contrasted against the hunched and slumped figures in the tavern it becomes even more pronounced. This man does not belong amongst this class of people. One does not need a trained eye to see this.

At the moment he is chatting with an apple cheeked barmaid who seems to have entirely forgotten to refill his empty wine glass. But he does not appear to mind, choosing instead to humor her and her blatant interest. With his gentle mannerisms and well-kept appearance, there is not much about Jade that suggests he has known violence. But his nimble hands wield sharp daggers and his delicate fingers weave spells designed to subdue and harm. Although he does not often need to. The lovely human man does not strike an intimidating figure, but an inviting one. It is his greatest asset.

Those who know him would call him a born actor. Jade is full of easy laughter and charming smiles. As lovely as a fantasy, and versatile enough to play any role depending on his audience. His curls fall softly around his cheekbones, and his wrists sparkle with fine gold bangles. Never
too ostentatious, but always making sure to draw the eye. The set of his bones is almost regal. It is an easy assumption to make. A whole Cinderella fantasy is playing in the blushing barmaid's eyes. But she will not be swept away and rescued from her dull life this time. Not by him.

Jade is an uncommonly beautiful human man, and if that is not the most dangerous thing..."

Are you interested in being a player or DM in this campaign?

Introduce yourself in a reply - and if you are a player, introduce your character, too!

Announcement: I have purchased all the D&D 5e sourcebooks + the curse of strahd campaign book.

When the Dungeon Master sets up a Campaign on dndbeyond, I will be able to share all this content with you for your character creation process.

Additionally: I use a fair bit of Unearthed Arcana-content, and some homebrew content. Happy to discuss the use of these with the DM.

(As an example, here was my accepted application!)

I'll share a little about myself before throwing my character in here! So, I'm a twenty-six year old woman who works weird hours. I've been playing Dungeons and Dragons for a very short time, but I feel like the few games I have played have left me with knowledge enough. However, I've been writing with partners for over ten years now, and at this point, it's difficult for me to want to write with someone who refuses to use proper punctuation, grammar, and spelling. But I could rant for hours about that! Point is, I love writing, and love even more to read beautiful posts and learn all about my partner's character! I admittedly know nothing about Curse of Strhad, so I hope that poses no issue.

With that out of the way, allow me to introduce Rael, my high elf ranger!

"A bad hunter chases. A good hunter waits. And if there is anyone with the time and patience to wait, it is one such as Rael. A young (young by elven standards) high elf with only time on his hands, it has never bothered the young man to sit and wait in one place for an entire day, or on some occasions, multiple days. With a taste for silence and a love for nature, the young hunter has always made it his personal goal to stay far from towns and cities, instead making a living by traveling between villages and selling pelts of the game he has hunted.

Small stature, pointed ears, blueish-silver short hair that spikes in all directions, and a piercing golden gaze, the elf isn’t unpleasant to look at - not an uncommon trait among elves. However, he has no interest in his natural ‘beauty’, and intentionally lives a reclusive lifestyle, wearing his dusty old hood when he absolutely must mingle in towns or cities.

Overall, at first glance, Rael is respectful and calm, albeit, definitely gullible and trustworthy of strangers. He has a softness to his eyes, a tenderness to everything he does, and does his best to be as silent as possible wherever he goes. The last thing he wants is attention, either in large cities or desolate forests.”

xA1IHfy.jpg

Hello, I am very interested, experienced DnD player and excited to possibly join people of my own age group! I will write a full introduction in the evening, as I am now on the train, with only my phone And bad connection.
Meanwhile, are species such as YuanTi or changeling allowed? How About homebrew classes?

I’m a male, 32, and extremely interested in being a player in this PBP Curse of Strahd. I love the dark tones and both of the characters I’ve read so far. I’ve been playing and DMing tabletop games since I was in high school, so I’m knowledgeable and flexible!

I’ll go ahead and introduce my Tiefling Artificer down below:

*clang* *clang* The sound of metal being worked drifts out of an apprentices workshop. Smoke rises from the small chimney in the flat thatched roof, while light flickering with rhythmic beating bleeds through the poorly built shack at every blow. Within the door-less portal, the shadows dance to an unknown song across the walls, an older man man watches a younger one while he shapes some fired metal.

“Add the powdered ruby now, Aylward!” The older man, wearing silver custom exotic armor with splashes of gold and red embroidery, directs the younger. His piercing gray eyes stare as Aylward quickly sprinkles the flux onto the metal, sweat beading below his horns, and chants a spell beneath his breath as he dips the blade shaped metal back into the spell fueled roaring embers. His purple and gold robes rolled up around his arms and legs, soaked with sweat, cling to his thick frame. After removing the blade from the heat, he quenches it in a viscous liquid and places the finished blade on a drainage rack with the release of a relaxed breath.

Aylward Cloudstone has just completed his apprenticeship with an unorthodox sect of Artificers focused on the smithing arts. Now, he must complete his journey on his own - with the teachings of his Master, and the song of the forge coursing through his veins. A Tiefling of hearty build, standing at a tall 6’4”, he follows the path of the fusion between body and mind. Attempting to use his power to protect those around him and create items worthy of legend.

E968BC35-D285-42EE-AFC1-0B6FE185EA3D.jpeg

Hi there! This sounds lovely, and I'd love to be a part of it. As a quick introduction... I have a passion for writing, especially fantasy, and I'm a real fan of the gothic vibe. I'd love to be a player for this. I've been RPing on text-based forums for over ten years now, and though I have less D&D experience, I have been both a DM and player of successful campaigns.

Below are the details for my half-orc witch!

Death is kind. Death is sweet. Death is familiar, and Death is her familiar. Arala Goresinger seeks the mysteries of the path beyond, living only to serve her patron Death. She's a born-and-raised fanatic; her human mother is also a witch, one who lives far beyond her natural lifespan by similarly devoting herself—and her many children. Arala had no choice, but she has no resentment. Her path isn't comfortable, but it's hers, and she makes her own freedom with her travels.

Any stranger who watches her (and many do watch her with suspicion and fear) would see a woman of contradictions. Arala's scars mar her orcish skin, but she smiles easily through her tusks. Her clothing is worn but maintained, her dark hair coarse but carefully combed. She dresses in muted colors, but a bright splash of color sits on her shoulder: Angel Bones, her parrot familiar. He is her only constant companion. Though Arala speaks softly to him every night, he rarely answers.

The few people who approach her will find a cheerful, pleasant companion. Her conversation skills may be rusty, but she'll make the effort regardless. In fact, her lack of socialization means that she might sometimes talk
too much when she finds a receptive companion. Arala's quick to adjust her behavior when prompted, however; a lifetime of travel has accustomed her to stepping on—and stepping back from—cultural toes. She's naturally curious, but when as an intimidating half-orc, she's learn to squash that urge.

Arala travels at her whim, taking odd routes and helping strangers when she can. She funds her journeys by selling potent herbal tinctures for people, creatures, and plants. (Death is inevitable, but it doesn't have to be soon.) Her main calling, however, is to put the unwilling undead to rest, and there is no shortage of them.

1583900139914.png

Last edited:
Hello! I’ve always wanted to run this campaign. I’d like to throw my hat in the ring to be the DM.

A little about me: I’m a 36-year-old male who works normal hours in IT. I have been playing TTRPGs for 19 years and doing so in PBP on and off for 14 of those years. I started with D&D 3.0 and have played (and run) every edition since, including Pathfinder. I have an extensive library of other RPGs ranging from incredibly crunchy to newer story-driven games (my favorite). I’m a decent writer, but prefer to keep my writing to the point rather than long flowery prose. I can’t say I’ll always write “beautiful” or “long” posts, but narrative in RPGs is the most important to me. Rules will always come second to RP or narrative in the games that I run. There are times this will manifest in off-the-cuff rulings or times when we ignore the rules completely. I’d hope the players would be open to that.

With that in mind, while this is a pre-made campaign—and I’d like to stick to it for the most part—it’s super important to me to tie the characters into the world/narrative. If I were to run, we would start with a good amount of questions for each character so I could get to know them and find where their thread fits into the greater whole. I would plan on bending what is in the campaign book to fit neatly with the characters and their motivations.

Let me know what the next steps are and if I’m able to be chosen as the DM for this game. I look forward to hearing from you.

paiyu paiyu

Sorry, I only come on here to check for replies now and again. MechanicalSnake MechanicalSnake , we would have loved to read your intro! But when I got on to check this thread all we needed was one more player, so that went to the next poster, who had their intro ready. I assume you were waiting until your questions were answered, and I'm really sorry if that was the case! But we had been searching on other sites as well, and the slots filled up quickly. Sorry again, but we didn't have a DM at the time of you asking the questions, so all I could do was go off of the info given via introductions!

dae mec dae mec WlfSamurai WlfSamurai

Thank you so much for the introductions! However, the game is full and has started. We really appreciate your interest though! <3

Sorry, I only come on here to check for replies now and again. MechanicalSnake MechanicalSnake , we would have loved to read your intro! But when I got on to check this thread all we needed was one more player, so that went to the next poster, who had their intro ready. I assume you were waiting until your questions were answered, and I'm really sorry if that was the case! But we had been searching on other sites as well, and the slots filled up quickly. Sorry again, but we didn't have a DM at the time of you asking the questions, so all I could do was go off of the info given via introductions!

dae mec dae mec WlfSamurai WlfSamurai

Thank you so much for the introductions! However, the game is full and has started. We really appreciate your interest though! <3
Yes, I was waiting as I didnt want to create content that was not allowed. Well, that's my luck I guess. 😁 I haven't actually found anything that worked out on this Page for over a year!

Yes, I was waiting as I didnt want to create content that was not allowed. Well, that's my luck I guess. 😁 I haven't actually found anything that worked out on this Page for over a year!
Ah, I'm really sorry about that! I wouldn't have known what content would and would not have been allowed at that time. D: BUT if we lose someone, I can let you know and maybe you'll want to join!

Ah, I'm really sorry about that! I wouldn't have known what content would and would not have been allowed at that time. D: BUT if we lose someone, I can let you know and maybe you'll want to join!
Absolutely, please let me know if you end up having a spot!
My country is on full coronavirus lockdown so I expect to have lots of time in the months to come...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back