• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Freelancer Legends

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Other
Here
Joint post:
Captain_Nobody - Nessuno​

“That’s the last one, right Elwood?” Thomas asked the small holographic man on the table next to him. “Yes sir, all hired freelancers are accounted for and awaiting you in the prep room.” “I better get to it then, I’ll be back once I’ve introduced them all to the Nautilus.” Thomas headed for the elevator at the end of the hall as that’s the quickest way down to the hanger’s main level. After a short ride down, Thomas joined up with Sabine, an odd android that the UESC had decided to gift him for no reason apparent to him, though he would be sure to make good use of the bot. “Ready to meet the team?” Thomas asked her. He nervously fiddled with his tablet as he made his way to the prep room entrance. Once there he took a deep breath, steadied himself, and walked in. “Good afternoon everyone, I’m your captain, Thomas Jenkins. We are all currently standing in the prep room, this is where your exo-armor, weapons, and other mission equipment will be stored until it’s time to go. Each one of you will have a locker, don’t worry, they’re made to fit all your equipment. Each of these locker doors has an ocular and fingerprint scanner for security. As I call you to your lockers I’ll activate the calibration mode for each scanner. This first locker over here is Mr. Makku Rahjin’s. He has been on this ship for a few days so I already assigned him a locker. Please step forward Makku and demonstrate how the lock system works.”

Once prompted, Makku moves forward and approaches the locker he was given two days prior. The locker was already loaded with all his equipment, such as weapons and Exo-Armor, as well as all maintenance items for the gear he had brought with him. “Sure, no problem!” He exclaimed with a smile. He planted his thumb on the print scanner as he closed one eye and stared into the retina scanner. The doors hissed as they slid open revealing the relatively full gear room. “Ta-Daaa!” he said as he whipped around and took a bow in front of his equipment with one arm tucked close to his chest, the other out wide to his side.

Smiling slightly at Makku’s energetic demonstration, Thomas continues “Thank you Makku. As you can see, they are simple and easy to use once calibrated.” Moving over to the next locker door he calls out “Ntaj, this is your locker.” Thomas moves down the line of doors, calling each Freelancer individually and setting up their locks. “Alright, now that that’s done, I’ll walk you all through the ship.” He leads the team through the ship’s winding hallways, pointing out the main kitchen, cafeteria and bar as places to go for good food or some company. Eventually leading the team to the gyms, pool and various recreation rooms. Including a firing range where the freelancers could practice with their firearms. One of the main features of the Nautilus was its Combat Training Simulation room. The room was massive, about the size of a mid-sized stadium. The CTS room gave the freelancers a massive sandbox to practice in any conditions. It was climate controlled and had the ability to completely alter and manipulate the terrain inside. This is where a lot of the Pre-Mission training would take place and where the freelancers could show each other different types of skills and methods that would help the team in future missions. The tour ended at the dorm hallway. “This is the dorm hall, all of your rooms have your name on them and a map of the ship if you need help getting around. I’ll leave you all to move your stuff in. If you need me, I’ll be up on the bridge planning our first mission.” He smiled at the team and then walked down to the elevator.

Back up on the bridge, Thomas smiled to himself then went over to the planning table and sat down, “I’m back Elwood, what’d I miss?” “Nothing important, I can handle the ship. How is the team?” There was evidence of the AI making a series of minor adjustments all over the bridge. Course corrections, crew taskings, resolving simple errors. “I like ‘em, they’ve got all sorts of skills and talents that can help on missions. Haven't gotten to feel them out much but this first mission should give me a good idea. Could I get the map of our first mission area?” Thomas cracked his knuckles and put on some relaxing music he could listen to while he planned how they’d approach their first mission as a team. Thanks to the planning table’s holographic abilities, he could see the local terrain and where each objective was. The team was going to be headed onto a jungle planet to scope out some ruins from an old generational colony that didn’t make it very long after setting up. Their mission was to find out what happened to the colony, rescue any survivors, and recover any data they might have collected before getting wiped out. Hopefully the team was ready for whatever did those poor colonists in.

"Yuav tsum tau hloov ntawm tus ntiv tes mus rau biometrics." Ntaj thought to himself since, as per usual, he was the last one to have his retina and prints scanned. Or at least he tried, considering his particular skin condition burned off the finer details of his body. But frankly this wasn't unusual for him, since most places dont take into account some folks don't have most of their skin. Thus Ntaj had to dig out a special glove that has a copy of his old fingerprints to perform the scan. At least his eyes still work for the occulat scan. Once that was completed, Ntaj followed the captain and continued the tour in silence. Usually it was just a place to store his exo armor, and often times to save costs he'd just sleep in it. So being able to have his own room with all of these amenities were quite nice.

They really need to stop using fingerprints and switch to biometrics.

All things considered, this company provided a lot more amenities than most places that hired him. Most barely provided docking for his exo suit, and housing could cost him a solid portion of his own pay. This was probably the most lucrative contract he's even gotten and he hasn't even started working yet. After the tour was over, Ntaj decided to look around and find his haunt. Nice as this place was, he'd probably only ever hang out at maybe one or two places, outside of his own room. What caught his eye the most was the combat training room. Though admittedly, he wasn't interested in it for combat or training reasons. Ntaj went to gear up into his pilot suit and retrieve his weapons, but notably didn't go get his exo suit.

At the training room, Ntaj began to see what sort of options the training room had. Before he would try anything too fancy, he just wanted to give it a test run, see if it's really as good as the captain said it was. He decided to try and make something relatively simple and have the training room simulate a generic department mall building. He wanted to see if the combat simulator would be able to replicate things like multiple floors, employee-only entrances, electricity, interactive objects and debris, things that most commercial simulators tend to ignore for memory and performance reasons. He would check out places like a food court to see if they could replicate the smell of food, an arcade to replicate games, and clothing boutiques to see if he could take and wear clothes. He even tried to find a parking lot to see if he could find and steal a car. "Tsis txhob paub dab tsi koj yuav tau ua tawm hauv lub tshav pob."

You never know what might happen in the field.

After he finished messing around the simulated department mall, Ntaj would head back to readjust the simulation to add enemies and civilians. He populated the mall with what he felt would be a normal amount of people, both customers and workers. The. He added a small squad of gunmen to rampage through the mall. However Ntaj did not go into the simulator. Instead he watched the violence ensure, again testing the simulation to see how well the AI handles a situation like a mass shooting. Did civilians run and hide? Do the gunmen go out of their way to chase down an execute cowering civilians, or do they follow some other programming that Ntaj didn't specify? He spends a good few minutes just watching a shopping mall full of people getting slaughtered by different types of hostiles, to both see how civilians react to danger as well as the capabilities of the sort of enemies he may be expected to face. He additionally tested to see if the enemy had different reactions based off other factors, such as if most of the civilians were adults or children, if there were the presence of security, or if the attackers were disguised as civilians. Ntaj wanted to see how well this simulator can replicate these factors before he throws himself into it, since he doesn't want to get too complacent of everyone acted perfectly like a video game. All the whole he listened to the audio, a constant stream of gunfire, screaming, and alarms. Ntaj wasn't even in there yet but he could feel his body grow a bit cold.

"Kuv xav tias yog qhov zoo. Qhia tias kuv tseem muaj kev xav."

I think that's a good thing. Shows that I still have emotions.

Last edited:
"I think I like this setup," was Adam's first thought once the tour was over. It seemed to be better organized than most of the previous outfits he had worked with, and definitely more personable. Of course that was just a first impression, he was well aware that things could quickly change the moment something started to go wrong. But for now he had other concerns, like getting himself familiarized with the imaging equipment in the infirmary while there were no patients and the dedicated imaging technologist for the room was busy doing paperwork and otherwise occupied.

Thankfully while the manufacturer of the x-ray/fluoro room was different than ones he used before, many aspects of the control panel and operating software were similar enough where he didn't think he would have any major issues. As for the table, wall bucky, and x-ray tube he had yet to encounter ones that differed all that much from the setups he used in civilian hospitals. Same deal with the imaging protocols, while they may different a bit from place to place, that only mattered for routine cases and follow ups where he had time to think about it. He knew from experience with other Freelancer units that during emergencies, especially if the doctor and any other medical providers were busy that he only needed to worry about getting AP and lateral views of the indicated area, getting additional images as needed to include the entirety of the injury or any abnormal conditions that he saw on the images. It was a freedom that wasn't allowed in civilian facilities without consulting a provider first, but was sometimes needed in a mercenary setting to get the information needed to save someone's life, especially if there were not enough doctors to deal with everything going on and other imaging modalities like CT and ultrasound were already swamped.

Glancing at his watch, Adam frowned a bit. He wanted to put a imaging phantom on the table and take some practice images to get a better feel for the room, but he didn't know how much time he had and he still needed to check out the portable unit and get his stuff unpacked. He didn't expect to use the portable much, that kind of equipment was typically for patients too seriously injured or sick to be moved from their beds and in those cases it was typically for follow ups like monitoring fluid levels in the lungs or to image an extremity once more pressing wounds had been taken care of and the patient hooked up to an ICU bed. "Hopefully this one drives better than some of the others." With a small annoyed sigh, he started to log out of the system and just do a quick check of the supplies in the room before looking for the portable. Hopefully he'd have time to get used comfortable with it before anything happened.

Grímr
Madae St. Francis
Master Of Masks
With the tour having concluded, something within Madae began to settle, like a certain anxiety that weighed on her had been released. It was a pleasant place, comfortable even. It had accommodations and facilities she could visit should she deem it necessary. 'Perhaps I could grow to consider this place a sort of second home.' She thought, making her way towards her dorm room. She wanted to see where she would be living for the next however long and possibly mark down the locations of places that interested her during the tour.

Entering her dorm room, she gave herself a moment to look the place over completely. The room was of a comfortable size. It was furnished already with various bedroom appliances (beds, closets, tables, shelves and the likes), and of course a map. She closed the door behind herself and turned her attention to the map, looking it over. There were a few places that snagged her interest during the tour, the main two being the gym and the shooting range. Madae was the type to constantly work on her skills, aiming for perfection, so working out and working on her marksmanship was always something she focused on. She also thought of looking around for a library of sorts. Perhaps she could find some alone time within it should she want to do that in an atmosphere that wasn't her room. She marked down the locations for later. She'd be sure to check them out once she had enough time.

Before all her exploring, Madae had to deal with moving in her personal belongings. She set off on unpacking and organizing the room, putting things away where she saw fit. She took great care in putting everything in a perceived correct order. It was a habit she has picked up over the years. Everything had its designated place where she could find it. Any variation and she would most likely lose a great deal of her items. She didn't know what it was about her, but if something wasn't directly in front of her, it ceased to exist in her mind as if it never was there. Due to this, she had to arrange stuff in a way that best suited her.

After quite a thorough organization, Madae was finally content with herself. 'Perhaps I should take a small break before I head out.' She thought to herself, sitting on her bed and allowing herself to close her eyes momentarily and rest. She needed to rest up lest she be out of energy during their missions.
Code by Serobliss

Users who are viewing this thread

Back