• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Free Merchant Blues

Vudukudu

Farseer to the Warsong Clan
Hey, Vudukudu here. Long-time RpN fan, longer-time scifi fan. In particular, the space western variety. Without further ado --

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 2180, Doctor Gregori Isanovich finished development of the Rip Drive. Long ridiculed by society at large, there was no expectation that "Crazy Gregori" would ever return when his shoddy orbital shuttle apparently vanished in a yellow flash a short distance away from Starport 3.

Nearly four months later, however, the dilapidated shuttle re-emerged, and transmitted a massive stream of data to Earth that could only have been gathered far beyond the normal galactic reach of mankind. His vessel was pulled into port, and it was discovered that Doctor Gregori had perished mere minutes from reaching home when his vessel's life support finally gave out. For his bravery, and ultimate sacrifice, the story of Doctor Gregori was rapidly forgotten, though his technology was rapidly picked apart and replicated. And so began the Age of Exploration.

Humanity's pioneer spirit had long been at rest, and the promises the Rip Drive made only rekindled it with unmatched intensity. Hundreds of vessels made the leap into deep space, spending years or even decades hurtling through the void. Space proved just as unwelcoming as we'd expected, and its unknown just how many died following system failures or simply disappeared into the great black sea.

The bulk of humanity's exodus found its way to the Eta Sigma sector, a far off corner of space with about two dozen habitable worlds of varying size and climate. Travel between planets takes days or weeks by Rip Drive, and the trade between them is managed by a loose collection of Free Merchants, small ship crews who take whatever jobs they can get, legal or illegal.

------------------------------------------------------------------

This RP, for those familiar, carries some inspiration from Firefly. The PCs will be a crew of six or so people, just trying to make their living doing the dangerous business of trade, smuggling, and whatever else they find themselves suited to as long as it keeps their ship in the air.

I'm looking for detailed writers, which is not to say "Here's a million paragraphs" but "People who can effectively engage with the story without bogging it down by contributing nothing or describing the rust on a wall too thoroughly." Please comment or message me if interested, and hopefully we can get started.

Exciting. Let me know when things start taking off, or if you need any help fleshing stuff out. Dr. Gregori and the Rip Drives have me intrigued.

Exciting. Let me know when things start taking off, or if you need any help fleshing stuff out. Dr. Gregori and the Rip Drives have me intrigued.

I'm in the middle of throwing a thread together, but I'll be doing some lore development for the next day or so. I've run similar RPs to this before, so I'm poaching some old material, so a lot of this is copy-pasting.

Would androids and robotics be a thing in this?

Androids, no. Robotics, in a limited sense. Expensive to maintain, usually easier to pay someone a barely livable wage to do the same thing.

In terms of cybernetics, rare, and mostly limited to restoring limited function.

Ahh. Crap. My characters are mostly androids or puppets with robot skeletons. Only the first would fit so yeah ;-; DAMNIT I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS AS WELL ;;-;-;-;-;--;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;

A ship needs a navigator, no? It is a position I will happily fill. Also, what year does this take place in, and is travel to and from Earth common?

Oh man, yes please.

I had an idea of playing a passenger not interested in shipping out on one of the liners but rather looking for the more 'authentic' experience. Would that work?

You had me at space western. I didn't even need to know anything else. Sign me up, partner.

EDIT: Oh, wait, no. You got me at "blues"

Last edited:
A ship needs a navigator, no? It is a position I will happily fill. Also, what year does this take place in, and is travel to and from Earth common?

Navigation in this is primarily handled by the pilot and a computer.
Year, roughly 2380.
Almost non-existent. It took a decade to reach this sector with much more advanced rip drives (Experiencing a sort of technological dark age, so to speak) so the trip there and back would be extremely long by this time. Even the coordinates are probably forgotten, essentially.

Oh man, yes please.

I had an idea of playing a passenger not interested in shipping out on one of the liners but rather looking for the more 'authentic' experience. Would that work?

As long as they can pay their way and offer some sort of skill (medical knowledge, connections, whatever), it works for me. As long as you're sure you can keep them involved.

As long as they can pay their way and offer some sort of skill (medical knowledge, connections, whatever), it works for me. As long as you're sure you can keep them involved.

What sort of positions or characters are you still looking for? Might re-consider the passenger if something else takes my fancy.

Okay, so plan B, aka the Quartermaster, it is. Managing the cargo, handling the logistics on the ground, and keeping an eye on interplanetary markets will be my role then. Or will I have to go to plan C?

What sort of positions or characters are you still looking for? Might re-consider the passenger if something else takes my fancy.

Our engineering and piloting are already covered, as well as Captain (functioning mostly as "Chief decision maker" at this point). We don't have a particularly talented Muscle-type, as far as fighting, intimidating, and all that goes. We don't appear to have any major medical knowledge (Captain's first aid experience is in easily applied patches and tourniquets, not bullet extraction), or any "Criminals" in regards to thievery, hacking, etc. Basically, if you think it could be useful, we can adjust what exactly we're doing to accommodate it.

Okay, so plan B, aka the Quartermaster, it is. Managing the cargo, handling the logistics on the ground, and keeping an eye on interplanetary markets will be my role then. Or will I have to go to plan C?
Sounds perfectly fine to me, though I am interested as to what Plan C is, and figure it might be of help to have it out there for people still unsure of how they'd like to participate.

The first step of Plan C is to make Plan C. In other words, I didn't have another backup.

To help, we have no security or salesman (to find new customers and keep old ones). A doctor would be nice, and having someone skilled in less than reputable areas may be of use as well. Maybe even an Artisan, who makes things (and they travel with us because we can get them materials and sell said crafts pretty quickly).

I dunno how I completely missed the character link going up, but I'm going to post soon. I'm making a doctor/cook kind of person. Good with knives, basically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back