Story For The Throne - Chapter 2 + Chapter 3 (Rough Draft)

For The Throne Updates

that one random internet cat

Chapter 2 - The Barkeep​

Cofy was sure he was content running his tavern. If it could be called that, anyway. It wasn’t as aggressive a place as your average tavern, as it had a gentler atmosphere, and most drinks served there weren’t alcoholic. The appeal of the small business was that it was a comfortable place that served warm drinks, good for relaxing and taking a break from hectic life in the capital.
The bell on the door jingled as Cofy opened the entrance to his tavern. It was a cool day, so he figured it would be nice to let some of that air inside. After that, he did his rounds, going from table to table, checking in with the customers. After making sure everyone was happy, he went back behind the counter and began writing something down on a piece of paper. He slipped it into his pocket, and reached for his own drink.
Taking a sip of his coffee, he thought about his plans for the night ahead of him. It was going to be another night of looking for adventure. Good thing he had plenty of coffee to make up for any sleep he missed. He spent his nights going around the darkened streets, looking for parties of adventurers, hoping to add some excitement to his life. Sure, he enjoyed running his little tavern. He loved it, even! But something was so... mundane about it. It was repetitive, easy to predict what would happen. And that was nice, sure, but he wanted something random, unpredictable! Something important. And little did he know, his time was about to come sooner than he thought.

Chapter 3 - The Café​

“Crap, I’m out of gold... Looks like I gotta take another quest.” Oakleaf shook her head. She didn’t want to, but it was getting too dangerous to sell potions. Considering that the royal guard were catching on to the illegal use of magic nearby. Sure she was on the outskirts, but she was still technically in the jurisdiction of the guard. It made sense actually, because she was well within the borders of Eakheoral.
The catgirl apologized and walked away, making her way toward a small tavern and stopping a few steps from the door. The sign outside read, “The Cozy Coffee Café” which was a very fitting name for how small the building appeared to be. It was nestled between a clothing shop and an inn, with no alley between the former or latter and the tavern itself.
As she walked inside, Oakleaf immediately noticed the amazing scents that were wafting through the tavern. Taking a deep breath in through the nose, she tried to identify each smell. Although there were too many to figure out individually, she could tell that there were plenty of pastries and it seemed that coffee was a commonly ordered drink. Which made sense of course, considering the name of the tavern.
Oakleaf moved over to the counter and waved a little, getting the attention of a tall, friendly looking elf who seemed to be engrossed in a small leather book. “Hey, excuse me! I was wondering if you had a quest board somewhere or something like that?”
Looking up from his book, the elf nodded. “Of course! Here, let me help you out. What kind of quest are you looking for? Monster slaying? Foraging? I’m sure I can find a quest that will suit your abilities just perfectly!”
Hearing this, Oakleaf’s face lit up. “Perfect! Um, I’d rather do something quick. I’m only trying to scrape up a little bit of gold. Would you happen to have anything like that?”
“Of course, of course! Here, let me take a look.” The elf bent down underneath the counter and the sound of paper rustling could be heard. A moment later, he popped back up again with a small piece of paper, and set it in front of Oakleaf. “Here you go! I hope this works, it’s the only one worth much that’s relatively quick.”
Looking down at the paper, Oakleaf’s eyes widened. 500 gold for just dropping off a package within city limits? She looked back up at the elf’s now amused face. “Why would someone want to pay that much to deliver a package across the capital, when they could probably just do it themselves?”
“Oh, I’m not sure. I was rather confused as well, but I’m not complaining. Having good quests like this one here is good publicity for my tavern!”
Oakleaf barely needed to think about it. She reached for the paper, but it was quickly snatched back. “Wh- Hey!”
The elf chuckled and shook his head. “Goodness, is it all business with you? At least let me know the name of the person who’s taking the quest! I like to get to know the names of all my customers!”
“Oh, right. Sorry, that was rude of me, wasn’t it? I’m Oakleaf. It’s nice to meet you… Um, what’s your name? I’m sorry.”
“Don’t be! It’s nice to meet you too. I’m Cofy, and obviously the owner of this tavern. Well, here you go. But I expect you to order a drink when you come back!”
Oakleaf nodded and gave a small smile. “Of course I will. Thank you, I’m sure I’ll be quick!”

So, here are chapters two and three of the current rough draft! I wasn't originally going to post these together, but someone told me that even though this story wasn't their genre, and they weren't into reading, the story pulled them in regardless. Of course, a huge boost to my confidence was the result. So I hope y'all enjoy, and of course, any constructive criticism is appreciated! ^33^

This is great so far! Honestly, I normally give up on reading books halfway through but I’m doubting that this story is going to be like one of those that I just stop in the middle :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back