• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy For my Family

How badly do you want this thread to continue?

• I love the story and will do absolutely anything to keep it going

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm having fun, but it's not the end of the world if it's gone

• I can take it or leave it at this point

• We can end it? Stop this train-wreck immediately

• Total voters
The corner of Valk's eye twitched as a memory flashed in front of his eyes. Of course, how could he have forgotten the face? Maybe it was the difference in attire.

"Right . . . it took me MONTHS to forget that incident. You know what?"

Valk stopped in his tracks

"I take back what I said, you don't get five seconds."

In less than a second, Valk had turned around and smashed into the wall with a super-charged fist. The resulting impact created a massive cloud of dust

Fortunately for Odom, gravity was a good mate of his. They went way back, and falling was much faster than routine dodging.

Odom found himself staring at the aggressor's feet. They said something rather offensive to him, so he swept them out from under the man. With a slight push of mana against the bottom of the adjacent wall, he was now two yards away from angry bird-hair, and rolled to his feet to address the prone man.

"Tut-tut! It wouldn't do if one of us got huuuuuurt before the fun begins!" He did a lazy pirouette as he continued, "Besides, there's no audience, and that's just no fun. We can resume this . . . soon." With a wink, he scaled the closest building, meandering aimlessly up its side. He wanted to scope out the arena before the festivities began, so he could prepare to make the biggest splash possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryrax scoffed. "Why, you ask? Because I wanted to. Is there ever any other reason for someone to act in this world?" he said with a chillingly dark chuckle. "As for who I am, I don't really see why the hell it matters, but my name is Ryrax. Last of the Omeraan clan, currently an adopted member of the Vejta family." He scratched his chin thoughtfully. "Hmm...you said you were from the Astora clan? Can't say I've ever heard of it. Obviously not one of the five major houses. What brings you and your clan here? Do you intend to take part in the tournament?" he asked with a condescending smirk and raised eyebrow.

"...There's a tournament happening? What kind of competition will there be?" Blinking in surprise, he adds, "Come sit down, I haven't much to offer yet, but I would like to hear more of this tournament" Relaxing his stance, he pulls another bench sized log from the nearby pile of timber, setting it across the firepit from the first.

Ryrax completely ignored the log, instead opting to float cross-legged in the air about two feet off the ground. "Well, it's basically a just a stupid excuse for hotheaded dipshits to strut around like roosters and compare pickle sizes," he said with an air of someone describing the immature antics of a 12 year old who thought fart jokes were the funniest thing since whoopee cushions. "This tournament is for the five houses to send in their fighters to bring glory and fame to themselves and the family they belong to. I'm not sure how they'd react if you expressed an interest in joinin' the tournament as a competitor."

"Well, seeing as there isnt much to do here while my lab is constructed, I suppose i'll go check this competition out." Standing, he begins walking off into the forest, when he pauses, and asks, "Ehh, could you, perhaps, direct me to the Tournament Grounds, or perhaps just someone who knows more about the Events?"

After asking directions three separate times, Rudd thought he was finally on his way to the arena. He had heard that it was common practice for beginners to check the battleground, see what they were up against. He honestly wasn't that keen on the prospect of fighting so many practiced mana risers, but he knew good tactical advice when he heard it. He wondered if there would be any other novices there. The prospect made him a bit more eager, and he quickened his pace.

Ryrax gave an exaggerated sigh. "Fine. Follow me," he said as he actually opted to walk on the ground for once. He led Jyterra on a fairly long walk over to the Neutral Grounds and towards the familiar smell that he could only describe as 'country'.

"Oi Rudd!" Ryrax shouted as he approached, "This guy behind me is Jyterra, he wants to know about this tournament. I'd take him to someone else or even another house, but...well, you know how much people LOVE me," he said with a very sarcastic laugh. "Besides, even if they were willing to give me the time of day, you know how some of those houses are. They'd just turn their nose up at him and tell him to hit the road."

"Boy oh boy, you just dazzle me with hope." Rudd's shoulders sagged and he rolled his eyes a little, but the disappointment was only momentary. "Maybe you can show me around while you're at it? Seein' as I've only been around for a year, I'm about as well situated as a chicken in a bullpen." He fell in with the other two, and turned to face Jyterra as they walked. "So you're new, huh? Join the club."

Ryrax groaned but complied anyway, leading the two through the waiting rooms, medical wing, spectator stands, and down to the combat ring itself, where a tall and dark-haired young man was slugging away at thin air. He stopped when he noticed the group approach. "Hail!" he said with a raise of his hand in greeting. "I can't say I've ever seen you lot around here before...ah, I get it. I'm terribly sorry, but I do not do autographs. It only took one mishap with forgery to steer me away from giving signatures to fans," he said with a shudder. "As I said, sorry to disappoint, but I'm still always happy to see fans! Looking forward to the tournament? Tell you what, give me your names, and I'll be sure to dedicate my matches to you all! How does that s-"

"GOD DAMMIT SHUT THE HELL UP!" Ryrax shouted with a TK-augmented stomp of his foot, causing the surrounding area to crack and quake slightly. "I don't give a damn who you are, and I'm DEFINITELY not a fan of yours. We were just passing through as I showed these two the tournament grounds." Ryrax knew exactly who this guy was; he'd seen Oliver at tournaments past, and as hard as he tried Ryrax couldn't block out memories of him.

"Good grief," Oliver said as he scratched his ear with his pinky finger, "No need to be so abrasive, my good man. Fine, let's try introductions again. My name is Oliver Montacus Layfaire III, the Chaos Hammer Monk. I belong to house Trevastos. What are you called, and what is your family?"

"Ryrax," he replied curtly. He really wanted to leave this guy in the dust as soon as possible. "Formerly Omeraan, adopted into Vejta."

"Was that kickboxing?"

Rudd was so happy to finally see someone who didn't ignore technique in the face of mana that he had completely ignored the raucous exchange. "You look pretty clean; I'm impressed. Your low kicks could use some more precision, though. It'll take more than umph to put the other guy on the floor." He slipped past Ryrax and Jyterra like a fish through water on his way down the stairs. "Rudd. New blood of the Vejta family, son of Dane of Maasmechelen." He extended his hand in greeting. "A pleasure."

Oliver took the hand with his bandaged right one and shook it eagerly. "Pleasure to meet you as well, Rudd, and a pleasure to meet a fellow martial artist!" he said cheerfully. "You've got a good eye: I'm much more proud of my punches than I ever will be of my kicks. Even so, I'm always appreciative of constructive criticism! There's only so much improvement you can do alone, after all!" He boomed with a laugh before turning towards Jyttera. "So, who might you be, sir?"

Rudd was laughing. Heaven help him, he was laughing. This Oliver Montoya whomever-he-was was just too over the top to take seriously, and Rudd never much liked serious people. And the guy didn't even care that he wasn't of pure blood! Ego be damned, Rudd decided that he liked the man.

Valk lay on the ground for roughly a second. ONLY a second, then the entire estate was greeted with a vibrant blue explosion. Valk stood in the middle of a crater, pieces of stone and wall were everywhere.

"Just you wait . . . until I get my hands on you."

Valk let out an exasperated breath before turning and heading back to the Trevastos estate. His father would likely want to speak with him before the family heads met.

--------------------

Aatron had finished his preparation, as well as a brief meditation to calm himself. The family was mostly settled in, and now was the time to check the arena. Which rings were in the best condition, what ones should he try and avoid? Not that he had too much say in the matter, for the most part it was up to the family heads who faced against whom

"Well, this seems entertaining and all, but have yet to be explained what the tournament will entail? Is it riser against riser? Riser against beast? Timed trials of extraordinary challenges? Or, perhaps, magnificent displays of a riser's Arte?" Jyttera questions the crowd.

"Ah, this tournament is the stage for incredible duels between mana risers!" Oliver said. "These next three months will have the best risers facing off in single combat, for the honor and glory of both themselves and their families!"

Ryrax sighed. He could be training now, not hanging out with these simpletons. Especially not Layfaire. Without another word he started walking off out of the arena.

"Indeed? Well, I shall have to inquire about how to join upon this example of jolly competition, and see for myself the skills wielded by these other families." Pausing for a moment, Jyttera realizes he has yet to introduce himself to these fine people, welcoming him so warmly. "Forgive, I have yet to introduce my self, and here I am bandying questions about like I owned the place." Taking a step back, he gives a polite, shallow bow, and says, "I am Jyttera, Founder of House Astora. I am pleased to make your acquaintance."

"House Astora? I've never heard of--"

Rudd's train of thought came to a screeching halt as a pulse of blue light ignited the landscape like heat lightning. It was gone as soon as it came, but the impression it left was far more lasting. "What in the name of corn-eatin' cattle was that?!" He squinted in the direction the light had originated from, and saw a slim figure walking on a building. Actually, he was walking down the building. He blinked. He blinked again.

What?

-----

Odom was delighted to see that company awaited him in the ring. Perhaps these fellows were as eager to play as he was?

"Did you do that?" As Odom approached, a tall and muscular young man pointed towards the direction he had come from.

Odom cocked his head, and his mouth pondered itself into a slight frown. "Do what?"

The young man flustered a bit, and his words slurred with a slight accent as he stumbled over his tongue. Country? "That blue, erm, ah, that flashy-thang. You know." He flailed his arms towards Odom. Or maybe behind him? Ah, now it made sense.

" . . . In a manner of speaking? I suppose. But if you're asking if I can conjure lighting, then no. That's old man Sky's job. Not that I haven't tried to arrange a few meetings with him in the past. His front stoop is rather difficult to access." He glanced skyward with a wry grin, and scuffed his heel against the ground.

Rudd cocked his head. He opened his mouth, then shut it. He tried tilting his head in the opposite direction, but it didn't seem to help anything make more sense. " . . . What?"

Oliver reacted to the exchange by laughing loudly. He knew exactly where the blue lightning came from. "Hahahahaha! That blue lightning wasn't caused by this young man. It came from Valk. He's a Trevastos like me, and he's the only person to ever best me, the last and best Layfaire!" he boomed, and turned to the...somewhat off newcomer. "So, who might you be, stranger?"

Ryrax stopped near the arena's exit to eavesdrop on the exchange. he was currently leaning against the inside wall of the stadium. He had no real idea what Rudd was confused about: to Ryrax the newcomer's statements made perfect sense.

"Me?" Odom raised his eyebrows and pointed at his chest. After a general assembly of nodding heads, he continued, "I am me." This didn't seem to garner much reaction, so he continued to continue. "I am a warrior of all weapons that never existed. I am a pioneer in the language that men choose not to speak. I am friend of bird and annoyer of horse, as of today." The inquisitive faces before him began to turn to confused frowns, and his expression echoed theirs as he fumbled for a different way to communicate.

"A name might be nice . . . ?" Rudd smiled sympathetically at the confusing man.

"Oh! Well that's hardly what you asked. Why didn't you just say so? I am Odom, of the Maveret family." He bowed deeply, until his nose touched his knees, and then whipped his legs over his head one after the other until he was once again standing upright. "Meeting is a pleasure, although some people today have disagreed. It seems, though, that your eyes are far less aggravated than those of the angry man with the snowy hair and the impolite limbs."

"A pleasure to meet you, odd as you may be. I am Jyttera, of House Astora." grinning warmly, he adds, "I was setting up my lab nearby when a rather strange individual fell from the sky and froze my fire. After being informed of a rather interesting tournament, i was left here, directionless in my quest to participate in this wonderful event of jolly cooperation!"

Odom grinned back at the man. "Jolly indeed, although it is cooperative only in endeavors of mutual destruction, methinks. As for joining . . ." He spun around twice, and planted his feet so that he faced a particularly grand structure, pointing at it deliberately. "Do you see that building?" Upon seeing a nod, he continued, "Well, don't go there. It's full of bullies and snobs." He spun again in the opposite direction, planting his feet now to face a more humble dwelling, of fewer floors but spread wider than the last. "There," he mused, "is the house in whose belly lies the Vejta people. I would go there. If anyone will endorse a new family, it'll be them. I'm afraid that the rest of the families, which sadly includes my own, tend to look down on the caterpillars, even those who may soon bloom into marvelous butterflies." He reached his hands out around Jyttera, his fingers hovering on either side of the man's head. They waved slowly, and Odom closed his eyes. He appeared to be searching for something. "Mmmmm, yes. You feel good. Go to Vejta. There is the place where help will find you."

Rudd managed to pull himself out of his confused daze by the force of his curiosity. "Jyttera," he inquired with a furrowed brow, "you said you were a founder of House Astora. Are there houses so young? I thought they were all older than the freckles on my granddaddy's behind."

Aatron took a deep breath and gazed over the series of different rings. All of them were layers of cement with cushioning of some sort on top. He could tell that some were more well-worn than others, as the tournament increased in scale and more were built to meet the demand. His ears twitched slightly, the sound of voices reaching him from across the way. His eyes instantly narrowed as the light-hearted sound of Odom reached his ears. What could have distracted that man now?

--------------------

Jaeger had unpacked and settled in briefly, making sure the majority of his family was comfortable before heading out. The head of the Xevren family was leaving to meet with the other family heads, and in the meantime he was going to see who all had arrived.

"Actually, families like the Astora crop up fairly regularly," Oliver interjected. "New minor families are founded pretty regularly. What matters, though, is how long they last. I've seen a family founded and disbanded within the same day!" he said with another booming laugh. "However, it's a bit more uncommon for such a fresh House to desire representation in the tournament...and it's even more rare for one to actually GET that representation from one of the major families." He shrugged and looked over to Jyttera. "Odom is right, though. You're best bet would be the Vejta family. They're nice enough people, if a bit lax in my opinion. If they don't help you, no one will."

-----

Ryrax left shortly after Odom mentioned the Vejta family. Personally, Ryrax didn't really give a damn about the family feuds: he just wanted to fight Fell Ones until he dropped. As he strolled through the neutral grounds he passed through a market area. Some people recognized him and shied away, wary of the madman. Ryrax grinned slightly; stupid peasants, the lot of them.

As he walked he noticed someone walking in the opposite direction, heading towards him. Normally Ryrax wouldn't take much notice of your average commoner, but this man was obviously a member of a major Family. Probably a Xevren, seeing as this guy had wings coming out of his back. Ryrax snarled slightly as the distance closed: while nobody (save Rudd) knew the horror behind Ryrax's right eye, the Xevren family seemed to be able to sense that something was very wrong with Ryrax and his mana. In general, Xevren members detested Ryrax on sight. Would this man react the same...?

"Ah, well, in that case, I think I shall go meet with the Vejta family. With the tournament so close, there's no time to lose if I desire to participate." Declaring such, he begins to march off once more, before pausing, and asking, "Ahh, could someone, perhaps, direct me towards their estate? I have yet to familiarize myself with the relevant geographic locations."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back