Viewpoint For group RPers: what's your favorite RP "genre?"

grimmmy

holy work
Kind of self-explanatory but what counts as a "genre" seems up to interpretation--at least, my attempt to make a poll became very general (technically an anime school RP and a mafia crime RP are both "contemporary.")

Question intended for people who majorly look at group RPs.

I've deleted the poll since you were asking how XD Need Staff to do it.

On the subject: for group rp my preferences would be the same as for 1x1 rp, Fandoms and some fantasy stuff. Which could totally be a fantasy anime school XD

Oh my gosh Onmyoji Onmyoji your speaking my language. If it wasn’t so busy adulting I would love a nice fantasy anime school group. Those were always fun in my school years.

To answer the question when I did groups my favorite genres (in order)

1. Gifted School
2. Magical Town
3. Magical Girls
4. DC Fandom
5. Animals Turning Into People

Now my favorite genres (if I had the time for groups) would probably be the same minus 4&5.

For group RP's I tend to enjoy stuff about groups of misfits being forced together to save the world in some way or war settings about a squad of soldiers bonding and simply trying to survive. Really anything where people with contrasting personalities are forced to compromise under impossible conditions. There will be drama and disputes, but ultimately they will be forced to set it aside to achieve some greater goal.

I love medieval fantasy adventures, where a group of people, usually a bunch of misfits, get together to find a treasure or save the world.

Space Opera, first and foremost. Then Sword and Sorcery (not to be confused with High Fantasy). Steam/Diesel Punk and Wasteland Post-apocalypse would equally vie for third preference. I also like Fantasy Horror... but it's kind of niche and specific as to how I like it.

To me the main criteria (aside from the logistical aspect) is whether it gets my imagination going, quickly creating a character concept or the baseline for one at least. If the concept is that engaging and exciting, that usually has me hooked.

That said, I do definitely notice some patterns which help me be more interested:

*Anime-ish stuff: Its no secret (online anyway) that I am a massive fan of anime and manga- heck usually say I consume anime and manga in industrial amounts. As such, I really like roleplays that embrace or even celebrate the kind of settings, characters and storytelling you have in anime. Yes, including the tropes. In fact bringing in the tropes helps build that anime-ish atmosphere, which really helps make it pretty fun for me.

*D&D: I almost jump on any new D&D (5e) interest checks that pop up. I absolutely love this game, even though I didn't get to play it that much or experience in its "true form" so to speak. Aside from a growing pile of homebrew I wanna play test and character concepts I wish to play, there's also the baseline beneifts of me enjoying game-i-fied systems because of how orderly they are (even with dice) and because they add that extra joy of playing a game on top of writing.

*VRMMORPGs: Pretty much the same as my baseline reasons for D&D. This one also brings with a chance to research for a VRMMORPG roleplay I still intend to make..someday...eventually...hopefully...

*Robot: Not a setting per say, and frankly not that common, but common enough for there to be a pattern at least. I find that I end up joining a lot of RPs where I play as a robot of some kind.

*Open Ended Fantasy: A lotta freedom for a lotta different concepts here.

*Some Fandoms

sidenote: I look at group and 1x1 RPs in about equal measure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back