2019 Writing Event Flirtatious

Hello! Thanks for reading my entry into the February event. Hope you enjoy, I know it's a bit stupid : )

"Marnie, I need your help with something."

"Go on," she sighed, though her face was still in the science fiction novel she was reading.

Grayson frowned and plopped down next to her with a bit of an exaggerated and frustrated groan. Marnie rolled her eyes before taking a look at him, Grayson then beginning to explain his situation.

"I have a crush, and I need you to tell me what to say to her."

"We've already had this conversation a dozen times. Just tell her what I've said to say to all the other girls you've fallen for in the past two weeks." Marnie grumbled and tried to return to her book.

Grayson leaned back with a sigh. "This one's different. I don't think she likes me that much."

"And all the other girls have? Don't flatter yourself."

Shooting her a look before spitting out his next words, Grayson gave her a rough reply. "You just don't think I'm good looking since you spend all your time imagining what you and..." he grabbed the book from her and looked at the cover "SpaceBoy's wedding will be like."

"Not true! I'd rather marry her," Marnie pointed at the cover.

"The alien chick? Really?" Grayson wrinkled his nose. "But how would you two even-"

"Never mind." Marnie said bluntly as she grabbed the book back and tried to find her page.

"I was just asking. I mean her lower half is like an octopus..." Grayson said in his best offended voice, trying to her to keep talking to him, but she stayed quiet reading on about the space native's adventures across the galaxy. "C'mon Marnie, give me some advice. I really like this one."

Rolling her eyes again and setting down the book, Marnie gave in, knowing that he would only stop pestering her about it once he had his answers. "What's she like?"

"She's got these amazing green eyes, and she's into Indie music, we met at that concert last week. She was actually being pretty flirty with me so I-" Marnie cut him off.

"It's flirtatious, not flirty. That's not a real word. It's slang." Grayson made some comments under his breath at this, but it didn't stop Marnie from correcting him. "You know, I think that she's the kind of gal who'd like a man who's sophisticated. Well put together and smart," she smiled a bit secretly.

"You think?" Grayson asked her eagerly, surprised he'd actually gotten an answer out of his best friend when it came to love and girl advice.

"Yeah, she'll totally be into it." Marnie said nonchalantly, and she reached for his phone, unlocking it and she started typing something. Grayson craned his neck to see what she was doing, and she handed back his phone, quite chipper. "I just asked her out for you, so let's hope you didn't have anything already planned tonight. You're going to eat at Mario's and then go see a drive in. It'll be great."

"I can't believe you just-" he started.

"Come on, we'd better get you ready!" She smirked and dragged him off to his bedroom.

"Are you sure about this?" he asked her, looking at the ruffled dress shirt he was wearing, which Marnie had found God knows where in his mess of a closet. He'd never been forced to wear something like this, but nonetheless Marnie had insisted.

"You look great, she'll love it." She reassured him. He made his move to the door but Marnie stopped him, handing him a flat cap. "Don't forget the hat, it'll make you look so sophisticated," she warned, and Grayson smiled nervously before setting off to pick up his date. "And remember, you have to sound like you know what you're saying," she handed him some notes as well, which he snuck up his sleeve.

Waving down at Grayson as he drove away in the ridiculous outfit, Marnie began to laugh hysterically at the fact that he would be seriously going out and meeting this poor girl. Hopefully she'd give him a second chance some time.

"So, uh, you look great," Grayson told her from across the table, his nervous and quiet voice barely heard above the loud patrons at the table next to them in the restaurant.

"Thanks," his date replied, and she turned to the server to order. Grayson mentally slapped himself to get a grip, and tried striking up conversation with her again, this time using Marnie's notes.

"So what are you into besides Indie?" he said casually.

"I listen to soft rock and a little bit of pop now and again. How about you?" She replied.

"I find that Opera just has this way of conveying emotion like no other type of music can, just the blend of the typically classical orchestra with the sound of a beautifully trained voice of the Opera singer has this harmony that makes my heart melt," Grayson read from under the table, his date trying to hide the strange face with a pleasant smile.

"I can't say I've listened to that much Opera..." her voice sounded less than enthusiastic at how things were going, yet Grayson persisted.

"Ah, then you're missing out."

The meal was mostly silent, and Grayson read another one of Marnie's sophisticated prompts from up his sleeve as they waited for the check. "You like wine?"

His date gave him a confused look before answering. "I'm a little too young for that, aren't you? Drinking age is 21..."

"Oh, yeah, but my parents have let me try it before." he fibbed.

"Mine are sort of strict and traditional, so none of that for me." she half laughed while distractedly looking over at the door.

"Right, mine sort of are too... I think they were a little tipsy when they handed me the bottle." he felt like slapping himself again as she smiled uncomfortably.

"You know, I am feeling a bit nauseous, would you mind just taking me home? I'm so sorry," his date tried to explain.

"Oh, yeah." He smiled weakly as the two made to leave.

"Thanks for taking me home," she said, and Grayson smiled at her.

"Yeah, no problem. It would be rude if I said no in any case."

"Right. Thanks for the date," she said as she got out of the car hurriedly.

"It was great. Call me!" he said as she shut the car door and made her way up her walk.

Driving down the street aways and then pulling over, Grayson yelled out the window to the passerby on the sidewalk. "I know that's you, Marnie! Not funny," he said in an angry voice, his best friend laughing from a distance.

"Oh come on, you should have seen yourself. You looked ridiculous, and it was so hilarious to watch how awkward you were." Marnie defended herself.

"I really liked that one, Marn! Why'd you do that to me?"

Marnie came a bit closer before giving her reply. "Because I was tired of you asking me for advice on the same scenario every week. You meet a girl, she's 'flirty' with you, and then my usual advice to just act yourself is never enough. So messing with you seemed fun," she smiled.

"I'm going to kill you," he growled, shutting off the engine and stepping out of his car toward her angrily.

"Whoa! Cool it, Mr. Sophisticated." Marnie winked and bolted down the sidewalk, Grayson chasing after her with a vengeance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back