• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
"That was naive of you." Albert commented out as he saw the events unfold, directing his words at the female spearman.

Albert would've killed the boy-

No... the man. He would've killed the man or held him captive for questioning. "Would he have spared you the same chance if the roles were reversed?" he told her bluntly. It was foolish to believe that he would. Not in this war. There was no room for ideals such as mercy and honor against what they were facing. He was just afraid of the consequences of his new colleagues' actions.

Albert paused and took a step back figuratively. "Apologies. That was... probably a bit too much to say on a first meeting."

He looked at them and pulled his hood down, revealing his fiery red hair. "My name is Albert. I'm a wandering mercenary, and I was wondering if your group would allow me fight alongside you." he said plainly. "Is there anyone I should talk to?" he asked as he relaxed his guard, hoping to talk to who was in charge of this group.

Danae was tired, very tired. Now that she was on the ground, she almost felt like she couldn't get up. And here was a man whose blade was still barely stained or nicked, whose armor remained clean and unblemished, speaking of naivete and mercy. The mercenary with a heart of gold, an iconic archetype. One who chased gold and glory but whose heart turned to righteousness when it counted. The man talking down to her (both literally and figuratively) had a heart, that's for sure. But what it was made of, and where it would turn, remained to be seen.

"The decision, or in your estimation the mistake, was mine to make." Danae muttered, glancing at Varna and then back to Albert. "It was not I beneath his blade, and so such speculation is unnecessary until the time comes when I am." Danae held little hostility left in her, but she wasn't one to let a prattler continue without saying her piece.

At any rate, he seemed to concede his point and introduced himself as a mercenary. "Albert. I...do not object to you. But neither 'welcome' nor 'farewell' are mine to offer; I do not give orders in this procession." Despite herself, she planted her spear in the ground, using it as leverage to pull herself to her feet. "To be clear, I do not know that anyone does right at this moment. But enough people array themselves around the priestess Sei'rina..." Danae felt apprehension at placing this responsibility onto the delicate maiden. "If you wish to talk terms of employment, it may be her and her entourage you seek."

ACHA ACHA GojiBean GojiBean

The battle had lasted for what seemed like ages, but at last the forest had calmed.

She clung tightly to Dansly's stomach until the mighty beast beneath her touched down on the ground, allowing her a moment to slid out of the saddle on shaky legs as she struggled to keep the stench on blood all around from forcing her dinner up and out.

"Great Naga, please forgive whatever sin I committed." She whispered to herself as she lowered herself down into a proper seated position on her knees, hands resting on the ground holding herself up as she found it difficult to sit up straight on her own.

All around their surviving comrades had gathered and were checking and double checking the perimeter.

"They've fled! We won!" Shouted an allied solider not far away.

She wanted to rise and cheer. But her legs and fatigued mind wouldn't allow much more than a weak smile to cross her lips.

One of the other allied soldiers had gathered a few helpers to gather the dead. Not to bury them. But to line the bodies up neatly out of respect, as they couldn't afford to take the time to dig the graves and set up proper headstones.

What a night it had been.

"No rest for the weary, was it?" She thought aloud.

She'd finally gotten the strength to sit up straight on her own and looked around.

So much death. So many enemies. So many allies.

Of their original 100 or so, Sei'rina estimated they only had around 58 left. Almost half had died in this ambush tonight. Of those who made it, several were among those she'd met previously. Dansly and his wyvern, Curga. Danae. A fighter she'd yet to properly meet was nearby as well. And lastly was Elenora.

While she was glad for their safety, she couldn't bring herself to truly be happy in this moment as her eyes scanned the blood-soaked field around her.

Nellancholy Nellancholy Zombehs Zombehs Dante Verren Dante Verren ACHA ACHA Thanny Thanny

- Varna Husk, at the beginning of a Pyrrhic victory -
Interactions: Nellancholy Nellancholy ACHA ACHA GojiBean GojiBean Zombehs Zombehs

The world was quieting, the sounds of battle dying and being replaced by sounds of victory from his comrades. Varna felt relief swim through his veins as he replaced his hands on the end of his axe and hoisted himself up with a wince.

"If you've anyone to blame, both, blame me fer havin' a brother sharin' 'is likeness," he replied to Albert, looking over to the man with the strange mixture of gratefulness and indifference, and next to Danae. "Our senior commander ain't around, havin' left it 'n the hands o' others wi' hearts o' gold. Our cleric seems like one such figure. Iffin' it's not her, maybe you'll get a better name. I'll keep a lookout for 'er 'n' see."

He looked about, finding the wyvern still with the girl on its back. She seemed overwhelmed, as did everyone who did not seem accustomed to blood. A smile grazed his lips.

"Yer in luck. That's Sei'rina on the wyvern's saddle. The back one, anyway, not the blue-haired man. Here, let me take ya to her."

Taking with him his axe and hopefully the new comrade, he trekked his way to Dansly, Curga, and Sei'rina, pounding his chest with a meaty fist in salute.

"Miss, we've a mercenary in our midst that is seeking hirin'. Are you in order o' hiring anyone, or i' that someone different?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back