• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Fire and Ice (closed)

[FONT=Megrim; size:15px;]Mervia, Borealis[/FONT]

5f594f1381b8461a8b47e78a6fe99901.jpg
J ∙ O ∙ S ∙ I ∙ A ∙ H

' O, that this too, too s u l l i e d flesh would m e l t ,
T h a w and resolve itself into a d e w ,

He paused, his fingers gently pulling the blouse's sleeve in what he hoped was a helpful manner, when she'd asked if he was trying to mock her. Well, he'd guessed right when he felt that he'd used the wrong tone. If she thought that was mockery... he shook his head, sighed even as he leaned closer to properly assess the wound. She was hesitant, as he'd expected, but her gradual move of the fabric was beginning to irritate him. Nevertheless, the sudden pronunciation of his given name eased his impatience, slightly.

It wasn't out of awe, but more or less surprise. He hadn't expected her to oblige his request. "I am, quite well, thank you."

The shift of the sleeve seemed to taint the air even more, the scent of blood thickening. It wasn't a lot, at least from what he'd witnessed before, but then again he'd only caught sight of blood from an animal, not a human. For all he knew, she was dying of blood loss. Humans were fragile after all, but on further inspection he found that the wound wasn't bad. At least, it wasn't life threatening. "The bleeding has stopped." He commented, his gaze wandering briefly before catching sight of a bra.

Respectfully he pulled away, anchoring his eyes back onto the bullet hole, but the sudden shift in attention did not deter him from missing the discoloration on her flesh. Having learned how fire marked various surfaces, he quickly understood the cause of the burn, and for a moment he suspected it was due to his abilities. However, the burn was faded from time and lack of sun. In addition, her clothes had been relatively untouched by his flames. Good, his father would have his head if he'd marked her so carelessly.

"And you're in luck, it will not be necessary to pull out any bullets. It looks to have grazed your shoulder." He finally spoke up as he took a sleeve to her skin again, brushing off the blood that he hadn't managed to wipe off with the blouse on. What a shame. "If anything, your body is likely in shock. I doubt you've been shot at before?"

Josiah pulled back, allowing her to choose to pull the blouse back up or keep it halfway off her shoulder. Grazed bone or not, he didn't blame her if it hurt. Bullets were a pain in the ass.

"Pardon me, but we'll be arriving at the Tacet manor shortly," Kesler spoke up from the driver's seat, the vehicle taking a sharp turn smoothly as it revved up a steep incline. "When we arrive, I will call Her Majesty about your travelling companions, Your Highness." His gaze left the road momentarily to glance at the mirrors, assuring himself that they were not being followed. It was requested that only a close knit group knew of the prince and princess's temporary living arrangement, and he wasn't about to take the fall for the secret being discovered.

How delightful. Josiah grimaced at that. He hadn't smelled human or human blood in so long and now he was to live with one, wed one... dwelling on things will get this nowhere, it's clear she's against this too. Still, being angry or annoyed over it was better than feeling miserable. It was for the better of his country, even though he favored other means.

"Ah, and my Prince, it may be in your best interest to contact Lady Kroff. She's insistent." The name of that woman brought a scoff out of Josiah, but he said no more on the matter. He hadn't heard from her and for that he was thankful, but now of all times she decided to jump back? "She's merely worried. It would do good to ease her mind."

Let her worry. "Perhaps, but at a later time." He wasn't about to voice his opinion in front of someone who knew so little about his own predicament.

E L E A N O R
i
i
i
i
i

1QY66P4.png
Mervia, Borealis

Eleanor sat in silence, discomfort beginning to form a knot in her stomach. She would have never exposed her skin under normal circumstances but this was far from that. It was also a bit worrying that she was relinquishing herself to a Borealis. Be it ignorance or bias,
no human could ignore the stories about their kind. How they merciless feed on flesh and how humans were possibly the best of them all. Even though she knew the Prince wasn't someone so idiotic as to do something to reignite a war, she still worried and wondered about his sensitivity to blood. He did seem somewhat on edge since coming in contact with her wound. If "on edge" were the right terms.

The woman allowed a small smile onto her lips when Josiah said she'd be fine. "Thank you," she spoke softly, continuing to avoid eye contact as she awkward pull up her shirt, fumbling with the buttons. Adjusting her blood-stained blouse, Eleanor sat forwards and formed a ball with her hands. She was beginning to become restless from being in the car for so long, as she always was when it came to travelling. It was rare for her to be able to sit still as well as not go on a rumbling rampage about something. A thought then came to her mind, but as she opened her mouth to ask a question, the driver--Kesler from what she recalled-- informed the two that they were nearing the manner. Undoubtedly a bit disappointed but relieved as well, Eleanor gave her attention towards Kesler.

"Thank you, Kesler." She said with sincerity. Although living with Josiah seemed like it'd be an unpleasant experience, she was glad he had someone like Kesler around.

Kesler continued, although he addressed the prince alone this time. He'd brought up Lady Kroff, whom Eleanor was familiar with because it was required that everyone in her family be aware of all the powerful Borealis. It peaked her interest as to why the prince would need to call her. She wondered if the two had a relationship of sorts and she couldn't stop herself from thinking "Lady Kroff?" only to realize it was spoken aloud.

J ∙ O ∙ S ∙ I ∙ A ∙ H

He would have loved silence after the mention of his ex-fiance, but of course the human had to ruin it. Hell, he should've expected it. However, he wasn't quite ready for the words that sputtered from her mouth. It urged him to raise a brow as he turned in his seat to eye her. Surely she'd been told, no? Then again... he tilted his head, sighing, why would the humans bother in explaining something so small to her. It was likely that they were probably unaware of the former plans the royal family had for their first born.

"She was to be next-in-line for princess, by my Prince's side; however, as you know... that is no longer an option," Kesler replied. It earned him a glare from Josiah. The damned man made it sound sad. As if Josiah actually loved the woman. As if he''d actually looked forward to the ceremonies and endless nights and days with the woman. Then again... he did prefer her over the princess. Catch-22 I suppose."Yes, Lady Kroff, the woman that I was to wed before trivial arrangements were made." He was completely aware of how he sounded, asinine, but it didn't deter him from speaking in such a manner.

"But enough of her. I believe we should get down to business, don't you? Because I know that I am terribly excited, looking forward to this new life that we shall enjoy together," he fanned his hands out, clear disdain rumbling in his tone, "so let's get the fun part over and set some ground rules, hmm?" Josiah then crossed his arms, his gaze settling on hers as he cocked his head at an angle. "And let's do so without any chains or titles holding us back, that sounds nice, doesn't it?" He grinned, flashing canines as he offered her the opportunity to not let their statuses get in the way of this wondrous talk.

In all honesty, he wanted to avoid her as much as possible, but he knew that that would be impossible. Still... the manor did have multiple rooms, beds, and it was vast. Sure, not as large as the castle, and barely large enough to fit in two Borealis throne rooms, but it was big nonetheless. "I, quite frankly, don't fancy you in the slightest, but I'm quite certain that you're aware of that. You seem smart enough to catch that tidbit. With that being said, I don't wish to see you unless I absolutely have to. Dinner is an exclusion as I'm sure it will be insisted that we spend some 'quality time' together. I don't particularly like your kind or your fancy ideas about my kind, so please do keep to yourself when it comes to your superstitions, beliefs, and whatnot of my kind. Questions included. Now, when it comes to the idea of living arrangements and what that entails, I don't plan on sleeping with you. Stay on your side of the manor, whichever side it is that you choose when we arrive, if you would. And do not ever enter my room. But of course, in the eye of the public we must act appropriately, like we adore this setup and each other," he grinned at the notion, but the smile wasn't quite there with his eyes, "and won't that be entertaining?"

The very idea of having to act sweetly toward her in the upcoming months made his blood boil. Childish as ever, yes, but he felt that he had the right. "If you ever have any problems or concerns, please feel free to not share them with me. Tell Kesler instead," he gestured to their driver, "and if you ever do insist on cooking dinner... poison won't kill me, and vegetables aren't something that particularly fill my type of hunger."

He stopped there, feeling that he'd unleashed his frustrations enough and finding little time to continue on with them as he could already spot the steepled roof of the manor. "Please forgive His Highness, he's not good with seemingly tough situations." That put a dent in his pride, no doubt, but Josiah ignored his guard with silence. "But it may be best that you both speak of that now rather than later, as the next few days will be rather hectic."

E L E A N O R
i
i
i
i
i

1QY66P4.png
Mervia, Borealis

She silently cursed in her head, which was more like the real Eleanor than the facade she's forced to depict. The sigh from her lips was faintly audible, enough to be heard but quiet enough that it could be dismissed if uncared for. Her body was becoming increasingly warm as she sat there in pain, wondering what kind of life she lived in the past for her thoughts to so easily become words. If she weren't a princess, she'd already been dead by now with how many times she's disrespected people in powerful positions. It was annoying.

Kesler soon spoke up and his words made the woman shrink back in response. So the prince was indeed betrothed to another. Eleanor didn't know why it never came to mind that he'd already be engaged to someone else. She almost felt bad for the man, if he could be called that, and questioned if he already felt for another like she did. Her expression slipped up for a second because Josiah rudely jumped into the conversation, calling the marriage "trivial" as if their arrangement wasn't going to stop a war that could demolish Earth. "I wouldn't call it trivial," she said a bit too sharply. "This arrangement is supposed to help and keep our people from annihilating each another."

"I hope." Eleanor muttered under her breath as she snuck a glance out the window.

Josiah spoke up once more to Eleanor's dismay. She thought about how her poise expression was probably filled with irritation right now because that's how she felt. Although she wasn't sure if it was from the bullet wound or the prince's egoism. The woman was actually quite surprised by his sudden change in manner but it wasn't like that really affected her. Her true self was much more relaxed and she hated formalities anyways. Still, the prince was irritating her with each word he spoke.

"Well, I'm glad we've decided to let out all our thoughts without restraint. I don't quite like you either, not because you're a Borealis either, but your personality is quite crude and I don't appreciate how you treat Kesler. Yes, I saw that glare." Eleanor began aas her ranting voice was beginning to come in play. "I can tolerate dinner but I would like at least three nights to myself because I don't always eat in the evening. Regarding our living arrangements, splitting the manor down the center is wonderful as long I get the half with the most reading material and room dedicated to my hobbies." She didn't comment on their need to be affectionate in the public but she knew that for a while, everyone would see their act as a lie and it would probably always be a lie. Someone like Josiah was intolerable even if Eleanor was one of the nicest people around.

She chose to remain silent on his hunger comment as well, the discomfort from earlier returning. Instead of commenting, she stared out through the snow covered trees and noticed the silhouette of a building. Letting out a sigh, she turned towards the front and addressed Kesler while side glancing at the Prince. "Oh, it's not a problem at all. I've dealt with children much, much worse than him."

WolfSol WolfSol Hello, sorry I disappeared. I hope you're still interested. Also the post sucks because I didn't know what to write and I just want to skip to them actually living together

J ∙ O ∙ S ∙ I ∙ A ∙ H

His fingers wrapped restlessly against the smooth tabletop as he stared directly ahead of him, eyeing Eleanor with a stoic expression. Ever since they'd stepped foot in the manner, they'd been confined. There were far more rules than intended now, and quite frankly... it was painful. He'd gotten used to her scent, as much as he could, but he still found it difficult to linger in a room that was filled with her stench. He'd also gotten used to her opposing perspective. She was so damn hopeful and optimistic to the point that it disgusted him. If anything, he only favored getting on her nerves. Such a task was easy, almost too easy, but even that had grown dull. She'd started to get familiar with him, used to his jabs and vulgar comments. It didn't mean he stopped trying to aggravate her or scare her, but there was little to no thrill left in it.

How long had it been? His paused in his rhythmic tapping, hoping that the slight sound resonated just loud enough to become an incessant annoyance to the woman before him. It had been a week, if that, and he hadn't been able to step outside of the manor once. Not that he wanted to, there were too many memories outside as there were inside. At least she had chosen to set up base on the side of the manor that Quistis and he had dwelled in so long ago. Although he was a tad bitter that she'd decided to hole up in the library. He fancied a read too, but he also respected the terms they agreed upon. Nevertheless, outside meant an escape from her, but that was neither here nor there. Kesler had a knack for catching him when he'd made to sneak out, the man was even good at catching her as well.

"Do you ever eat?" His own voice caught him by surprise. Tonight had been drowned in relative silence despite his tapping fingers. He'd glanced down at his own plate, almost wishing he could have another portion, but knew better. It would only increase his hunger, the one that he had to be wary of when around her. It was one reason why he detested her smell. It was easy to maintain such a craving, but lately... not so much. Thankfully she wasn't accidental prone, as far as he'd seen, and didn't bleed easy. "There are easier ways to kill yourself, you know." Josiah looked up from the tabletop, absently wishing that the table was long and bulky and not short and narrow. They were so close during this time, with just five feet in-between them.

He only glanced away from her when he caught sight of her maidservant flinching. Yes, perhaps that was rather crude. His father would surely have his head if he'd heard such commentary at the dinner table.

"Look, if you don't fancy the food," he gestured to her plate of what he assumed to be fruit salad, "then request another dish. I can practically hear your stomach
growling. Is this why you wanted to have the three-nights-in-solitude rule? Embarrassed to eat in the same room as me?" He tilted his head, gauging her as he drew his hands back from the table.
Kesler, he'd taken refuge somewhere at the back of the room behind Josiah, gave an uncomfortable sigh. "I did eat with silverware this time. Didn't make a mess either. That's a level up for me."

E L E A N O R
i
i
i
i
i

1QY66P4.png
outfit – lazy

Eleanor wasn't happy--far from it. She didn't know anyone that could feel even a slither of merriment while locked up with a rude, hot-headed prince. As a child, the woman often read fairy tales about princess being swept off their feet by a charming prince, but Josiah wasn't anywhere near that, nor did she expect him to ever be. The last week was spent avoiding the man and his childish antics while really trying to maintain a positive exterior. It proved fruitless because Josiah kept provoking her in the lamest ways. Although it only took a few days before she became used to it and she could tell that irked him. Not that it was a problem on her part, however; even she found joy in his aggravation. The woman even became comfortable enough to care the least about her attire, clad in a simply pair of black jeans, a sweater, and some fuzzy socks. There was no one important to impress and it wasn't like she and Josiah particularly cared about each other's looks.

They stared at each other for who knows how long. Her poise was calm, feet a few inches apart and hands lazily resting on her lap. It was the traditional position for a princess, meaning one that Eleanor really despised but must maintain. Josiah, in contrast, had both hands wrapped around the edge of the smooth, wooden table. He clearly did not care to keep face and while Eleanor would have loved to express what she really felt, allowing her body to slouch and face to contort, her pride was too powerful. The very last thing she wanted to do was break because she knew that's what Josiah wanted.

That's when he started tapping. It was faint, almost impossible to see, but her eyebrow twitched just the slightest bit. Eleanor let out a small, shaky sigh as she kept her expression neutral, meeting his crimson red eyes with her crystal blue. At times she really hated sitting directly across from Josiah because of the eye contact. His orbs were quite honestly captivating and beautiful in every light, but the day she admitted that would be her demise.

"Do you ever eat? There are easier ways to kill yourself, you know." Did he really say that to her? His comments were unbelievable. Eleanor couldn't help but scoff and shake her head in response. Nothing she said would ever satisfy him so instead of speaking, she grabbed her fork, stabbed two broccoli florets, and stuffed them into her mouth. Unfortunately, she immediately began to cough after chewing and was forced to gulp down a glass of water. The woman's face turned a bright pink but she sat tall, although avoided his gaze at this point. "I do eat and killing myself over someone like you is just a pitiful way to leave this world. And you should be embarrassed of eating with me, not the other way around." Eleanor huffed.

From the corner of her eyes, she could see Devon almost dip his head in disapproval. Yes, she was a very unladylike princess that hates being spoken and looked down upon. What was the problem with that? The prince needed to be given an example because he'd behaved like a spoiled child during her stay.

Finally, she turned and looked at him, keen on getting all her questions answered that evening. "Why do you despise me so much? Is it because I'm human? Is it due to what the people before me did? People whose actions I had no control over?" Eleanor asked, both curiosity and determination in her voice. She genuinely wanted to know why he had to make it his job to antagonize her. The woman disliked the arrangement just as much as he, but she was aware of how important it was. If they were to keep the peace between their countries, they should at least learn to live in harmony because if two people can't, how can two nations?

"Please enlighten me Josiah because I do, quite honestly, would like us to at least become friends. I have no problems with the Borealis. Yes, our people have been at war for decades, but I assure you that if you came to understand me, you would see that I genuinely am interested in your people and country." She mumbled on about how the books in her country only describe the Borealis as vile beings and monsters, yet she could never imagine how. Her view on things were fresh and she tried her hardest to find the best in everything. The woman even admitted that she'd even work to eliminate her petty human fears, brought upon from the stories her nannies would tell if given the chance. "What can I do for you to at least attempt to co-exist with me?"

Last edited:

J ∙ O ∙ S ∙ I ∙ A ∙ H

The change in her facade was slight, almost missed, but he caught it nonetheless. It didn't help ease what he could only consider as boredom. However, he couldn't help but grin as she viciously stabbed at the vegetables that aligned the corner of her plate. The idea of eating a tree made his stomach churn, but he preferred its earthly scent over that of day old meat. When she choked on the broccoli, he audibly laughed. If it wasn't for familiarity there may have been a chance for him to have refrained from the outburst, but they'd been forced together for just a bit too long. Then again, he figured, it wasn't quite familiarity... perhaps just the acceptance of the fact that they were now a political item. She gulped down the glass of water, nearly emptying it as she shot back with a relatively monotonous comment. His laughter stifled at that, but the grin grew tenfold. Even if she reverted back to her facade, a calm composure that she'd managed to hold after their third day together, he'd gotten to her. Even if it was small, it was a victory.

Josiah hummed, tilted his head at her words, "Well, there are other pitiable ways to die. For instance, you could just suffocate yourself with that awful broccoli of yours. Oh, but embarrassment? Not quire, princess, I find too much humor in this to be embarrassed. Now, if I'd eaten my dinner without silverware... perhaps it would be a different story."

He watched her for a moment, studying her in a way that he'd study prey. Fascination was too weak of a word. Only now, in the middle of dinner, had he realized that he was captivated by her antics. She tried
so hard to hold back the words that were surely at the tip of her tongue. Pride, no doubt. Yet why try so hard? It's what interested him, mostly, on why she hadn't given him a piece of her mind. Then again, he had pride as well... though it clearly differed from her level of hubris. Of course, when she spoke next, he saw her facade crumble once more. Ah, there it was. A question that would give him what he wanted- her true self, well, depending on the reply he'd chosen.

It would be so easy to tick her off then. It would be entertaining, to say the least, but she'd continued. Would like us to at least become friends... Josiah blinked at that, his brows raising as he leaned back in his ornate chair. Now that, that was not something he'd expected from a human. Then again, she had surely shown that she wasn't the regular human he'd come across prior.

"You're incredibly strange, aren't you?" He asked. "Then again, perhaps I am throwing a tantrum of sorts, but pardon me when I say with utmost certainty that I would more than love to wipe out every humanoid speck on this planet." A snap of sharp teeth resounded and it was met with a warning grunt from his guard, Kesler. Right, right, even if they were a supposed item to rid the world of war, he had to be careful with his words. Too late for that but... "As you mentioned, your texts have told generations of humans tall lies. You were probably even taught that we, my kind, started the war, no? We wanted to end it. Yet what do the humans, selfish little things, do? Ambush the treaty meeting and kill the only Borealis that favored humans. Forgive me, but I've no interest in trusting any human, regardless of their age, political stance, and supposed 'heart.' You're all alike." He hadn't realized that he'd been gripping the table, an attempt to keep his aura at bay. Without a doubt he probably appeared as a childish woman on her moment of the month, and he blamed it on the lack of sustenance. That or the fact that she finally asked the one question that held the answer and emotion that he was forbidden to mull over for so long. His family disliked it, his people disliked it. It wasn't quite taboo, not anymore, but it was a raw and sensitive topic.

Releasing the edge of the table, he folded his hands before him and leaned forward once more. "And although it humors me that you try so hard to keep up that royal, lady-like appearance, it makes me detest you even more. Sure, you've shown your desire to end this war, and although I may not show it in return, I am thankful that you think of yours and mine equally, but personally I cannot say the same." When he came to her last question, he found his words falling flat. In truth, he didn't think that anything would quell the depths of anger he'd bottled up for so long. Pathetic on his part, extremely, and he acknowledged it. "But who am I to say anything? Yes, this treaty would do both nations well, but it's like a vile symbol. It's easy to make a good thing into something bad, but the other way around, impossible. It was made into something vile the moment the consensus of war was made."

His fingers itched with a certain burn that he knew damn well he'd have to be wary of for the moment. Fire, instability, he drew back from the table again and sighed. "I admit that I am rather astonished by your questions and alignment of neutrality, but I cannot mirror it. I do not care for this arrangement, but I've no say in the matter and perhaps that is a good thing." Bite your tongue, if father were to hear you say such things... "If such events had not occurred, perhaps things would be different, but to live in harmony is like asking for the stars to reach super novas in unison. Oh, but pardon me, I ramble redundantly it seems. I'm sure my perspective abhors you which is why there is no possible option of a friendship between us. Call me racist, it's true. Oil and water, princess."

He wasn't quite sure when he'd averted his gaze from hers. Somewhere along the lines he'd found it difficult to stare into endless depths of blue. "Dearest apologies that you're stuck in such a predicament with me." He meant it, of all the people and of all the possible options, they were stuck together. Sure, she could back out any time, but he was positive she wouldn't and even she wanted to, her royal family was likely against it just like his was.

--...--..--..--..--..--..--..--..--..--

~Day 10....ish~
Josiah shuffled up the ice covered steps of the manor, his fingers folded tight into fists as he watched Kesler walk beside him from the corner of his eye. "Lady Kroff will be visiting within the hour, or so I've heard." His body guard spoke, wincing briefly at the scoff he'd received, "But if I may speak so boldly, her determination could have been prevented if you'd returned her calls. It might not bode well."

"I've enough to worry about after that meeting considering the ceremony. Were we not told that no one was to step foot on this land?"

"Your mother allowed it."

"Ah, of course. And what does she, pray tell, hope to gain from this? I've done a damn fine job getting on the princess's nerves, I can only imagine what may happen with her and Evo in the same room, if she's anywhere near my side of the manor."

Kesler paused at the top step, a hand hovering over the glass door's handle, "You don't think Lady Kroff would try anything, do you? It would be an act of treason."

Josiah shook his head, grinning at the very idea, "No, not in that way. The princess deems me childish, that much is certain, but she'd deem Evo as irrationally insane. Her reasons for resentment, for the racism, is rather meaningless and misplaced. Unlike myself and the princess, her reasons are due to her upbringing. She fails to think for herself. That and you have heard of what happened to a previous love interest, did you not? Were you not there to witness that debacle that occurred around my birthday?" The very mention of the event had Kesler groaning. "Exactly. Now, I am a man of my word, and since the dear girl hasn't stepped foot on my side of the manor, do me the honor of announcing Evo's arrival to her. Let her decide on if she wishes to greet Evo." He stopped in the foyer, Kesler closing the door behind them, "And inform the princess that the ceremony has been withheld due to rebelling factions having struck the castle's defenses. With that being said, I still think it's a rather terrible and dangerous idea for Evo to come here. Mother is far too soft. Without a doubt she hasn't sought father's approval."

E L E A N O R
i
i
i
i
i

vl37oFc.jpg
IDK WHAT I WROTE

outfit – lazy

"You're incredibly strange, aren't you?" Josiah had asked, which was not a new question. Eleanor was... quirky compared to everyone else back home. They all seemed to have a sense of patriotism towards Corwin, whereas she simply loved it because it was her home. Corwinian nobility always had a political agenda when approaching someone or something, but Eleanor only saw the simpleness and beauty in it--whatever the case was. Those with higher power often scorned her for her personality and she would face ridicule around every castle corner. The only ones who appeared to appreciate her were the actual citizens of the country, for she was their voice during their time of need. But where was hers? It most definitely was not her father or anyone back home for that matter. All she had was herself, thrown away into a lion's den where she's forced to deal with its future king. Why do I try?

The snap of his teeth echoed throughout the dining room, Eleanor jumping slightly in response. It was safe to say that she'd gotten used to their shark-like teeth and other worldly eyes, but his showcase of evolutionary superiority was still a surprise nonetheless. She didn't let her growing stress bleed through, however. The woman was far too deep in the situation to show fear now. Devon, on the other hand, was clearly unpleased by the prince's behavior, though the princess merely waved a hand to signal everything was under control. Instead of refuting his comment about wiping out the human population, she merely listened, her gaze unwavering of full of understanding.

Her fingers tapped repeatedly on her lap, the woman's delicate hand progressively cramping as Josiah spoke. There were so many times she wanted to speak up, but it was like her voice was lodged in her throat. Her mouth would open and close; her lips would purse when she heard the words selfish, racist, and oil and water. Eleanor felt anger at his brash response but there was nothing she could do, nor would she ever understand why the prince was the way here was. Surely, there was a reason. Surely, there was a mutual agreement the two could arrive to. But then it happened. The flash of hurt. Her blue eyes briefly flickered the overwhelming pain in her chest. Luckily, the Prince was no longer looking at her, but her gaze remained steadfast. He wouldn't be able to see the surge of emotions she felt. Her love for her people. For warmth. For certainty. For peace. It ached for it all. It ached for Lukas, the millions of lives lost to war, and the millions of lives that are still stuck in their sorrows--Josiah included.

Eleanor closed her eyes, let out a breath, and opened them to reveal their newfound clarity. She pushed herself from the table,the chair screeching against the wooden floor. "Josiah," Eleanor stated in hopes of getting a response. "Josiah. Look at me," she said, this time her tone stern yet vaguely gentle. "I know your years surpass mine by at least triple so I can't possibly begin to imagine what you or your family have gone through." She sighed. "I have clearly overstepped my boundaries tonight. I apologize for angering you and being a selfish human trying to understand your kind."

With a quick turn, she began her decent towards her room but not without muttering, "I don't understand how Mother could've ever loved a Borealis."

Day 10??
outfit – snow > changed into
song – this cover reminds me of our children

After their last unappetizing dinner together, Eleanor tried her best to avoid the man. She'd stayed on her side of the manor and occupied herself with her usual antics. The rest of her belongings had thankfully arrived during the last couple days so she was able to distract herself with that. Both she and Margaret put her belongings while managing to make their portion of the area more livable. They felt it was far too dreary so dark curtains were replaced by neutral tones such as gray and cream. The furniture was difficult to handle so instead of replacing them, Eleanor simply added light pillows and blankets as accents. For the walls, she replaced frames, that didn't involve the royal family, with her own paintings. Slowly but surely, the manor was becoming warmer and less dark and dreary. Well, that side.

The outside of the manor was different. Eleanor had taken it upon herself to explore the back, noticing the faint skeleton of what was a garden. She hated seeing the area so empty of life so of course she had to do something. On her tenth day there, she'd spent a majority of the morning building snow sculptures, a child-like glow her eyes the entire time. Magaret would consistently try to get the woman to come inside, but she was determined to finish her project of creating a winter zoo. One by one, animals of all biomes appeared, from lions and elephants, to penguins and bears. It wasn't until it was half passed one that she the stiffness arrived.

"You need to go inside now, Nora," Margaret hissed, urging her friend towards the back door. Eleanor simply laughed as she weakly fought back. Her excuse was that she wasn't finished with the koala but neither of the two servants were having it. They both trudged her words the manor, where the sudden wave of heat made her wince. She rarely experienced frost bite but that moment was by far the worst. Hissing, she shook her hands and jumped from foot to foot in an attempt to get warm.

That was when Kesler made an appearance, his face as gentle as Josiah's would never be. "Good afternoon, Kesler." Eleanor greeted with a slight nod, her face practically froze and nose a rose pink. "What brings you-", she sneezed before excusing herself, "-here today?"

Kesler nodded in response. "I'm here to announce the arrival of Lady Kroff within a half hour."

Eleanor paused to think. From what she understood, no one was allowed to or from the the manor unless strictly permitted by His or Highness to do so. For Lady Kroff to pay a visit, it must have been something extremely important. Kesler must've noticed the way her eyebrows contorted as she thought and politely spoke up, "Her Highness permitted the visit," which was followed by a small "I see" from Eleanor. Kesler then added, "I was also told to inform you that the ceremony has been withheld due to rebelling factions near the castle."

That news seemed to pleased Eleanor the most, her sparkling eyes hard to miss by the three servants. Eleanor was happy the ceremony was pushed back. That meant she had more time before her life was officially tied to Josiah. In reality, she really didn't want to see him so while the ceremony may have been delayed, a noble she'd inevitably meet was arriving soon. Aware that gaining the favor of the nobles in Mervia was important, she knew that it was either then or never. The Royal family seemed keen on keeping her away from capital matters due to the rebels so a chance to meet another Borealis was going to be rare for a while. She might as well take it.

"Well, Lady Kroff will be visiting and it would be rude of me not to introduce myself. If you'll excuse me, I'll be upstairs getting ready." Eleanor stated before making her way upstairs, Maggie quickly falling suit but accidentally bumping into Kesler and bowing. It was obvious that Devon was rather tense since Kesler arrived, but that faded once the three were on route to the top floor.

-SOME TIME LATER???-

After a small knock, the woman stepped into the room and met the gazes of both Josiah and who she assumed to be Lady Kroff. It was a shock to see the noblewoman being a bit taller than the prince, but Eleanor had noticed that he was shorter than the rest of his peers. It was an odd thought, actually.

"You must be Lady Kroff." Eleanor smiled, ignoring the unruly man next to her.

Last edited:

J ∙ O ∙ S ∙ I ∙ A ∙ H

Evo's Dress

Rivers of vibrant green cascaded down sharp curves, tendrils of fabric over stark white skin as the woman of the Kroff family twirled in the foyer. Unlike the dress he'd seen her in prior, a sight that he had felt was long ago, this one fit her. It matched her in every way, hugging her frame just right and matching her eyes in such a way that it made her seem ethereal. In addition, it wasn't "flashy" or long. Like Josiah, she detested the majority of formal attire. Unlike him who found the clothes simply uncomfortable, she'd found them incredibly stuffy and restricting. She stepped toward him, a smile painted across her lips as she ran a lazy hand through the golden waterfall of her hair.

She'd come with a single escort, her chauffeur, and had repeatedly tried to cling to him as they'd walked up from the dirt driveway to the foyer. She'd spouted nonsense since he'd politely opened the car door for her, something along the lines of gaudy fashion sense that some court official had, likely a topic of conversation that would be the farthest thing from his mind. When he'd closed the door behind her, he'd tried to interject, but she'd continued blabbering away incessantly. He wouldn't have it. "What are you doing here, Evo? You know damn well how dangerous this is." Her smile vanished, the charm and flirtation ripped from her features. It honestly took him by surprise, the abrupt falter in her appearance. Had his tone come across that harshly? He hadn't meant it, by any means, but then again, he still felt a burn in his chest from his previous encounter with the princess. She took a step toward him, heels clicking on the glossy wood floors. The rustle of skirts made him feel entirely under dressed, having taken to a simple gray sweater and black jeans. Then again, Evonne was the last on his mind to try and impress. She'd seen him in much worse.

"I've missed you so, my love. Is it a sin to not want to see you?" The smile returned, but it didn't quite reach her eyes. She'd made to reach out to him, sought confirmation through contact, but he simply withdrew with a retreating step back. "I was worried..." he knew her better than that. She'd merely wanted to see the one who would soon take her place. If that was so then he'd soon throw her out into the snow and deal with the wrath of his parents than let her meet Eleanor. He knew her like one knew how to breathe, how to blink. She was easily jealous, always insecure, and incredibly dependent.

"She's a human. What is there to worry over?"

"A human that has already caused three outbursts in the kingdom."
Three? "I'm merely worried, love. I don't want to see you get harmed because of a detestable human. What if she harms you herself?" Evo growled, the reverberated sound rousing his own anger yet he kept it at bay, for the moment. "But enough of her, I've missed you so much." His ex meant well, but her clinginess was overbearing and, at times, irrational. It seemed that she didn't quite get their situation. "I just can't bare to think that a disgusting, little speck of a creature will-" ah, there it was, her animosity. She was simply furious at the idea of losing him and the possibilities of becoming a royal to the princess. "Be taking the throne alongside you. I don't trust the rat as far as I can throw her, my love. She can't be trusted, surely you're against this."

Damn straight, but he kept his opinions to himself for a change. If he'd learned anything from the past ten days stuck with her, he'd discovered that she was genuinely caring for her people. It hadn't taken their last encounter for him to realize that she was adamant about the possibilities this treaty held. Yet he found her views still unrealistic. After all humans were... well- she rested a hand on his cheek, the sudden contact freezing him to the spot momentarily before he jerked away from her touch. "Love, I don't want to lose you." Like with his tone of voice, he didn't even attempt or think to attempt to stifle a scoff. The curt disapproval didn't deter her, however, "We've lost too many to the humans, I can't bear the thought of losing you."

"Flattery will get you nowhere. A mere girl cannot propel me to my demise, I assure you."

"But what if you forget about me? What if you-"

"Love her?" Josiah laughed, grinned even at the very idea. "I see you've acquired your brother's humor. It's unbecoming." Love was trivial, there was no place for it in times of war. Even with a promise of peace at stake, there was no possible way in hell he'd feel such a thing. This set up was simply a means to an end, work, another obstacle in the way of him and the throne. He'd come to the same terms when Evonne confessed her feelings to him, and human or not, he held fast. "This is political antics, you know this. Nothing more. Now, if all you wanted was to try at pestering me for affection of some sort or to try and scare off the princess, then I suggest you leave at once. As I said, this is extremely risky. I've little man power to aid me in defending myself or her."

"Why? Why not just let the rebel factions end her? It'd be so simple... then we could be together, no?" She fluttered her eyes, the greens swarming underneath the veil of long lashes.

It would be so easy. No, he had to consider the future. Although he'd played with the very ideas, the fantasies, he knew better than to even attempt it. Would that not make him as bad as the humans? That and he'd already done enough to disobey and displease his parents. "I am against this method of resolve, but I am a prince following out an order from the king. I'd frankly rather suffer with the 'hunger' than rise to power with her at my side, but the possibilities are far too great." He spoke bitterly, regrettably, as if someone were pulling his fangs out one by one. It wasn't by her words, wasn't by her influence, but it was simply out of exhaustion and frustration. There was no easy way out of this. "Now, if you'd be so kind as to lea-" he turned, Evonne turning with him, to watch as the princess of Corwin entered the lion's den.

"You must be Lady Kroff." Eleanor never met his gaze as she glided over the expanse of the foyer to properly greet Evonne. When she'd closed the distance, Evonne towering over her, he found himself releasing an unnecessary breath. This would be interesting, to say the least.

"And you must be Princess Baux." Evonne only nodded in greeting, "The propaganda doesn't do you justice, princess." The gush of cheer that spilled from her mouth made Josiah cringe. Definitely not like her, but he was glad that she was putting up a positive front. "How is your stay at the Tacet Manor?"

(( I LOVE THAT SONG FOR OUR BABIES <3 ))

E L E A N O R
i
i
i
i
i

vl37oFc.jpg
The last paragraph and a half does not make sense at all but I really want to push this forward LOL. Eleanor's probably gonna be like "Well, that was a waste. She wants to personally see to my demise, doesn't she?" at the end of this

outfit – changed into

Her eyes wandered over the taller woman from top to bottom. Being so close to her made Eleanor feel much smaller than normal, nonetheless underdressed. It made the human second guess her choice of footwear. Maybe a pair of pointed heels would've tied her own outfit in nicely, but that thought disappeared as quickly as it had surfaced. Instead, her mind wandered towards how feminine Lady Kroff's physique was compared to hers. The princess had a very frail and stick-like frame in comparison. It was always disheartening to see a woman with a fuller body since she looked more like a long-term hospital patient. Realizing that she may have studied a second too long, Eleanor quickly readjusted her smile and gaze, mimicking a head nod.

"Please," Eleanor began, her smile genuine but an uneasy knot growing in her stomach, "Truth be told, I'd prefer if there wasn't any propaganda to begin with." Years of being under the eyes of people who did not care for her title nor existence taught her many things; recognizing a predator was one of them. From the first moment she laid eyes on Josiah, Eleanor knew that things were going to be much harder than she'd hoped. Lady Kroff, on the other hand, appeared to be much more... well, disparate. She could also identify a woman in love and from the way the noblewoman hovered near Josiah, the facts were obvious. Eleanor was most definitely the prey in that moment. Tread lightly.

"How is your stay at the Tacet Manor?" Lady Kroff then asked. Eleanor hated lying and putting up fronts, but her position wouldn't allow her any less. It was practically a duty for anyone in a powerful position, regardless of what they try to deny. She was aware also that both of them probably already knew how her stay was; in fact, anyone could've guessed unless there was a place in Mervia that would sincerely accept a human, or a person whose race practically prosecuted the lives innocent people--courtesy to a book she'd read in the manor's library. The only thing she could do was what she did best--strategically dodge questions she didn't want to answer.

This time the prideful woman made eye contact with Josiah, something she hadn't done since their last encounter. "I can't lie and say it has been perfect, after all I am from a part of the world that's a bit warmer," Eleanor began as she returned her attention to Lady Kroff, "but I've adjusted quite nicely." She made sure to vaguely mention the manner of her stay, which spoke the truth but didn't clearly answer the question. Her next move was to quickly direct the attention onto the noblewoman, while bringing in a third party to pave a smooth pathway. It was the best way to avoid tension directed at her, which she could feel was on the rise by the second. "Forgive me for this, but I do have to say you make that dress look absolutely stunning. Don't you agree, Prince Josiah?" Eleanor turned her head towards Josiah now, a small, innocent smile on her lips.

At this point she had confirmed her assumptions on their relationship. They were either together or engaged like she and Josiah were currently. If Josiah wasn't going to succumb to her efforts, the next thing she could do was convince the last person who'd like her. It was definitely a gamble, but Eleanor was renown for being a risk taker.

J ∙ O ∙ S ∙ I ∙ A ∙ H

((Every Breath You Takeejeez Kuma, thanks for sharing Animal with me earlier now that song is in my head so I hope this gets stuck in yours <3 Also please forgive me, I am a potato, GAH ))

He should have expected that, her try at a distraction because even in the few minutes that she and Evonne had gotten to know each other, the atmosphere had gotten heavier. It wasn't necessarily from tension, not quite discomfort, but more or less dread. He hadn't missed that nitpicking gaze of Evonne's and he certainly hadn't missed that impish smile of hers. She was trying to find a loophole, a gaping vulnerability. Why, he was entirely sure. Why bother going through all this trouble? Everything was said and done, there was no going back. He'd had to come to that bitter conclusion days ago. Then again, Evonne never had changed and a treaty with such promise and purpose wouldn't sway her usual tendencies. She was jealous, disappointed, and far too prideful. Eleanor's pride definitely could not shine light on Evonne's hubris.

Her pride seemed to ooze out of her at the mere compliment. "Oh, this old thing?" It was painfully hard to not roll his eyes, even more so when she swayed in the mess of fabric and looked to him for an ounce of approval. Surely, if he gave the woman an inch she'd take a mile, but the princess has put him in a spot.

"Hmm, yes, quite stunning." The additional compliment did as he predicted, it added fuel to the fire. She saw it as an opportunity to reach for him once more, but he easily pulled away from her grasp. Of course, that drew him closer to the princess, but for once he'd rather be in the close proximity of a human rather than be clung to by a lady of the Kroff household.

The distance; however, didn't dissuade her. If anything it goaded her to take the mile. "Oh, but what of Your Highness," the title dripped with honey, "I did not expect such a beguiling, Corwinian get up. It fits you well."
Ouch. Low, even for her. If it had been from his own mouth then he would have audibly snickered at the uncouth comment. "But I do sincerely hope that all continues well. I can only imagine the strife you must bear, being so far from home and in such a precarious situation. Why, even Corwin is getting her fair share of vile rebellion. It makes one wonder if such an ordeal is worth it, especially after the last news of the reprisal from the court. I can only imagine how difficult it must be for you..." what was she trying to get at? "Being the only human in Borealis. Why, even being in the same room as you, I can't help but find difficulty in remaining composed." How pathetic, he'd made much worse threats and comments within the course of ten days. "I'm quite certain my love hasn't had a proper meal in a few days. Is all this-"

"It would do you good if you'd refrain from kicking the dead horse. It's a good attempt at dissuasion; however, it's incredibly weak. You lack strategy." She looked at him, her smile faltering.

"Come now, love, I was only showing my concern. There's nothing wrong in that." That sneaky smile of hers snaked back around, "Only worry and concern, nothing more."

"I know you well to say that that is a bunch of bull. Why, if I hadn't known better, I would've said that you speak disloyally. Imagine if my mother or your father were to overhear such attempts at treason." Hell, he didn't want to even use such a word as "attempt." Was she trying to anger, insult, or scare the princess? The try wasn't even the least humoring. Then again, even if it was worthy of praise, he'd still find an annoyance. He favored being able to get underneath the princess's skin. There was a special sort of satisfaction to see her facade give way, even for just a moment. Of course, it was growing harder to do, but it would have grown mundane if it started to be a common thing. "Now, if we could all return to the previous statement and to more important matters. It's cold, she's a human from a warmer climate, this get up of hers makes sense." He gestured toward Eleanor. "And the rebellions from Corwin, are you spouting nonsense for attention or are her people revolting against this treaty as well?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back