• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern ▸firdaus◂

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here

sox

محبت
her eyeballs? seriously? poor fucking taste.
dayyaan.
In all his time as the leader to the Shati clan, Dayyaan had never felt as stressed as he did in this moment, frozen in front of the dresser in his designated cabin-home wearing nothing but a ratty towel on his head and a pair of black boxer-briefs that he did indeed steal from some poor sap taking a mental health dip in Lake Talaab.

Day and Neniiyah had spent the better part of the last week waking each other up every ten minutes as they took inventory of countless supplies for the party, going over details once, twice, three times until they were positive no asscheek-faced bellend could throw a wrench in their carefully devised plans. Had it not been for Nen holding him back any time he was about ready to snap, he was positive some merchant's teenage son would be missing a handful of his toenails at the moment. He really did owe that trooper some good karma and a proper leave after the party.

And so Day stood, eyes flickering between a metallic, traditionally embroidered Pakistani suit, and a western loose-fitting dress shirt paired with black street trousers and numerous shiny accessories. He'd been stuck there for half an hour after his bath, unable to decide which style would catch the most eyes for this type of event. It had been a hot minute since the last cross-clan function he'd hosted, and he most definitely had not dressed up to par for his status at the time. His chance to redeem himself had finally arrived, and he'd be damned if he messed it up.

"Day! Hey! Day, it's me!" a disgustingly familiar voice called from outside his door followed by far too many sharp knocks. "I'm coming in!" Before the leader could get a word of warning in, the official Shati messenger, Rab something (Day didn't believe in surnames for sub-par humans) had already snuck his foot-scented self into the chief's humble abode.

Day grabbed the object nearest to him—a phallic-shaped dagger he'd made for shits and giggles because he's an adult—and flung it in Rab's direction, intentionally missing by just a hair to land in the wood beside his head, close enough to make the poor guy yelp. "For fuck's sake, Rabies, how many times are you gonna make me say it?" he chided, hands on his hips. "You knock, I don't answer, you go away, and I pretend you don't have fleas at the next clan meeting. This is how we operate." Day clicked his tongue disapprovingly, jabbing an accusatory finger in his direction. "Is it anarchy? Is that what you want? You want a bloody free-for-all? 'Cause I guaranatee, you're dying first."

Rab rolled his eyes discreetly before scooting halfway out the door, keeping nervous watch of his unsafe surroundings as he spoke. "T-The fire's ready and they need s-some of your knives for the boars. That's all they wanted me to t-tell you. You're mean—" He glanced down at the two outfits laid on the cot. "And that suit's ugly."

Day's eyes narrowed in warning at the brazen claims. "You bring out the worst in people, rodent boy," he called after the flighty messenger's suddenly retreating form. With a deep sigh, however, he stowed away the suit (it was too hot for that material anyways, he reasoned) and slipped into the second outfit, adorning it with an array of glimmering obsidian accessories as well as some handmade necklaces crafted by fellow clan members out of local specialties such as radiant flowers, animal teeth, and sculpted amber. They were prized possessions gifted to him over his years as chief, but he figured he could bust them out for an extravagant night like this.

With his fit finally settled and confidence in his decision-making abilities restored, Day slipped a thin dagger and a flask of his darkest bourbon off the shelf into his belt and locked the door of his cabin behind him, heading into the plaza for a night of fresh boar cuts and booze galore.

—————

A quick glance at the island from overhead might give one the impression that the vast acres of jungle and hill tops had sat uninhabited for generations, charted only by the wildlife that roamed freely across its terrain. The nearest coast line sat empty and barren, while the nearby tropics obscured all life beneath its leaves.

Unknown to the modern age, however, a rather elaborate feast was being prepared on the island of Firdaus. Two mighty clans comprised of some of society's most vicious expatriates, Shajara of the Jungle and Shati of the Coast, had finally found common ground on which to unite and host a makeshift gala on the packed dirt paths between their territories. The leaders of each clan, Dayyaan and Akua, worked endlessly to piece together a night under the stars that both clans could enjoy, despite the growing tensions between their people and the unmistakeable vitriol of dehumanizing slander spewn without care in their day-to-day happenings.

Due to their diligent efforts, the regional town center had been lit up by hundreds of torches and strewn with floral vines, all leading towards the central bonfire directly outside the shared meeting hall. Six wild boars had been strung up above the fire, enough to feed every islander and then some, with a variety of side dishes available nearby such as plantain pudding, locally brewed rice wine, and roasted cassava. Performers from both clans were prepared to sing in celebration of the festive union, their handmade instruments taking up an entire corner of the clearing as they sported wide grins and colorful attire.

Everyone was expected to dress up for the event and potentially bring a dance partner, though the prospect of bringing someone from the opposite clan was still a rather daunting task for many. Regardless of the tension, the Shatis and Shajarans were ready to let loose for the evening, and nothing could dampen their excitement.

Well, almost nothing.

—————

"Day! Fuck, move, get out of my way— Day!" a panic-stricken voice cut through the music across the throng of drunken islanders. The chief whipped around to find the owner of familiar shrill cry from where he had been previously conversing with a Shajaran carpenter about his latest architecture projects. He didn't have to search for long; winded from booking it to the clearing, a frazzled Leena stumbled towards him with sweat dripping off her forehead. The Shati butcher was rarely one to be caught off her game, yet here she stood before him, clutching the layers of her skirt in a shaking fist with tears welling in her chestnut eyes. "You gotta come, quick! I-In the forest, it's—" a shaky inhale— "it's really bad! Everyone's fighting, and there's blood everywhere, and h-he's missing an arm, and there's a bu—"

"Hey, slow down. Breathe,"
Day insisted after a quick scan over her body for wounds, placing his hands on the trembling chef's shoulders to steady her while she caught her breath. Despite the festivities around him, the urgency in her tone alerted him that he should not make light of her fear. "Start from the beginning. What did you see?"

Leena swallowed and closed her eyes, stabilizing herself before beginning her explanation once again. "Someone found two bodies in the woods outside the clearing, right before the, uh... no wait, after the prison. Further east. A little Shati girl, hanging from a tree with her eyes torn out, and a Shajara boy with his arm ripped off on the ground next to her." Her voice trailed off to a whisper as she leaned in to tell the rest. "The boy had a bullet wound in his head. Entry and exit. Some Shajaran guards are looking for the round right now. Their people are this close to throwing hands. They think the feast might have been a set-up on our end."

In a single moment, the cacophonous music faded to silence as Day processed the information that had just been relayed to him. Naturally, he had expected some carnage at best should things turn south at a cross-clan event where booze was involved, but he hadn't predicted such brutality without prior cause emerging out of the blue like this. Furthermore, guns were not permitted upon landing on Firdaus, so it must have been a homemade firearm crafted under the radar making its first appearance at the feast. Unless, that is...

Day did not wait a second longer to mull over the possibilities before briskly following Leena to the scene of the crime, the fading music replaced by shouting and profanities as he approached the violence that had begun to break out. The situation was just as gruesome as Leena had described, a gory presentation of underaged bodies contorted and dangling before him while a berieved mother sobbed in anguish beside the fallen boy. A spattering of onlookers watched on in horror, some shocked into silence while others shouted belligerently at each other.

The liquor in his bloodstream seemed to dissipate in an instant, leaving Day feeling more sober than he'd ever been. Of all nights to spill blood on shared ground, must it have been tonight? A night dedicated to shrugging off their political differences in favor of celebrating their commonalities as one people of Firdaus? The audacity of the perp responsible for such a heinous act knew no bounds, despite an already low bar for the ex-terrorist Shati chief. There was no way in which this was resolved peacefully, not with the way things had been as of late.

"Rabies," Day growled through gritted teeth. In the blink of an eye, the courier appeared by his side, waiting attentively for his orders despite their earlier aggressive banter. "Send word to Nen that the feast is over, and everyone at the clearing should take shelter in the school building until further notice. They can return to their homes once we've investigated what happened here." Before the courier could dash off once again, he added, "And tell Yves to make sure none of those SFM assholes get any fucking ideas in there. Both clans lost one of their own. I'll kill them all my-fucking-self if they try anything. Go."

With Rab off informing the masses and a small crowd of Shajaran guards sending him accusatory glares over their shoulders, Dayyaan gingerly approached the grieving mother, her echoing wails eliciting a wince from the usually unbothered chief. He could not imagine her pain, but he need not pretend; her anguish was palpable in the sorrowful night breeze as she knelt next to her son's dismembered corpse.

Before he could offer any condolences, however, a drunk young warrior with an axe came swinging at him from the rear, fury ablaze in his eyes as he stumbled forward. "Stay away from her, murderer!" Day leapt to the side as the man tripped before him, tumbling to the ground in a quivering, inebriated heap. The fall did not seem to faze the hatred spewing from his swollen, bloodied lips, evidently not the first fight he'd picked that evening. "You roaches will pay for this!"

Day raised an eyebrow at the Shajaran guards watching idly in the near distance, no intention of stepping in to de-escalate the situation crossing their stony glares, before scoffing dryly and crouching next to the drunkard with a booted foot atop his weapon. "Big words for such a tiny, little man," he drawled despite the threatening glint to his eye and grabbed a fistful of the man's hair, yanking his head up to make eye contact. "You've got at least another decade of training before landing a hit on a roach like me. Try acting like it."

Before he could haze the man any further, the guards rushed forward to protect their fellow clan member, their prejudice evident in the way they discarded their previous indifference to corral the man back towards Shajaran territory. For the better, perhaps— the scene had begun to attract a significant amount of attention in the meantime, crowds of clan members on either side approaching to assess the situation for themselves.

Unfortunately for the Shati chief who had been racking his brain for ways to keep the peace despite the turbulence, curiosity rapidly morphed into rage as fists began to fly once more. Fights broke out one-by-one as impulsive Shajarans lunged towards the Shati chief and his own people intercepted, protecting him from the onslaught and venting their anger all in one.

Day drew his dagger but remained on the defensive, a watchful eye surveying the crowds for one key Shajaran in particular with a knack for bloodshed who was sure to enter the arena with her teeth bared and blades swinging. Once she lost her cool, he wasn't so sure he'd be able to keep things under control for long.
coded by reveriee.

Last edited:

scroll
akua

regional clearing

eva ( a z u l a a z u l a ) idris ( cavitea cavitea )

“Do they believe that a bit of alcohol and full bellies will soften us, while they try to plant seeds of “unity” into our minds.”

Akua had scoffed then and she scoffed now, even as she sat with gentle hands taming her hair into flat two strand twist. The feast meant little to her besides. But it had been Sahil’s buzzing, like an incessant little gnat that had worn her down like water over rocks. Akua was not so stubborn as to blatantly disregard his points, at least not all the time. He had been appointed as her trusted Advisor for a reason, Akua knew that Sahil had thought the feast through and then he’d done it again. There was a healthy level of suspicion on both of their parts.

But then again, Akua glared at the man before her as her face was grabbed and lips puckered with a shaking hand. Her snarling and grumbling was getting in the way of the process, this she knew. Nothing was said as something floral smelling was rubbed on her lips. Though, she has to resist the urge to lunge forward and bite.

Akua knew war intimately, had fought beside her fellow Shajarans as soon as she was old enough. The teachings of her parents had sharpened her like the blades attached to her thighs and back. And now, it whispered too her and her body sang. Reunited they were, like old lovers. She could feel a shift, hear the commotion as she approached. Her body was in motion before her mind, grabbing the machete from her back.

And then, someone was running towards her frantically. Her craftsman, Eva, stopped in front of her. Akua only listened as she spoke, telling her of the news that had yet to reach her ears. Her grip on her weapon only tightened, knuckles turning white from the force of it. There was rage bubbling up within her but there was also a calm, a type of calm that she’d only experienced a few times in her life.

Her people parted when they spotted her, hissing things to her, begging and demanding for revenge. Their accusations were not falling on deaf ears as she prowled to the front of the crowd. For a moment she looked, her eyes locking with her lead warrior and she nodded. She could still hear Eva hissing and demanding blood in her ear. Akua raised a hand. “Hush. Everyone goes back to our land now. Any who lingers will face me themselves.” Her words her loud but not yelled. The Shajarans began to quiet down as their leader spoke. “Bring them back, dragging if you must.”

Her eyes locked with Day’s, something primal shimmering just below the surface. Her gaze was broken when someone fell to her feet, sobbing and asking her for a miracle. Even Akua could not bring back the dead. The sobbing mother was gently grabbed by her chin and brought up gently, handed off to another for the time being.

♡coded by uxie♡

Last edited:

kiki

filler

filler

filler

filler

filler

filler

• home (filler tab)

maye

yours

It wasn’t fair to say that this day was like any other. A knot had been festering in the pit of Kiki’s stomach since dawn, writhing around like he’d swallowed an eel. Anxiety played at his fingertips until he looked like a man with Parkinson’s every time he tried to grip something. It wouldn’t have been so bad if there was something he could do about it, but he was utterly helpless, watching the figurative storm clouds (because it was actually a very nice day) approach, like he was a dog chained to a tree. He could either bark or cower, and anyone who knew Kiki knew that he’d rather dig his own grave than try to run headfirst into the thunder.

Oh, and the clan party was today, too.

He was up early to clear his head, pushing out from the docks in his fishing boat, his hands busy with lowering the net, but his eyes watching the horizon to watch the sun rise. It was pale, not as glorious as some others he’d seen, but it was still there. The sun rose today, and it would set tonight, and the cycle would continue. Kiki knew in the deepest part of his heart that things would go on and in the end it would be okay—the earth would turn round and the tide would wash in and out.

So why did he still feel like something was horribly wrong?

He had to scrub hard to get the fishy smell off his skin. While he hated dragging in big catches, that had been the case today, and while he didn’t realize it, it was for the best, for it kept his mind from turning round and round like a whirlpool. Cleaning up was also another way to keep him from worrying and rather anticipating—will he be there? I wonder if he’ll like my hair like this… Kiki wasn’t going to lie; his heart beat like a teenage boy after his first crush. It was stupid, he knew it, but with the way things had been going recently, he’d begun to hope for more. It was an aspiration he hadn't voiced yet, but one that was becoming increasingly apparent in the way he stared at the object of his affections like he was the only star in his sky.

Grandmama’s fingers, despite their withered age, danced through Kiki’s hair with practiced ease, twisting and braiding the strands until she was satisfied.
“You must be expecting to see him there.”

Kiki sighed.
“I want to. But it’s been three days. Do you think maybe he’s upset with me?”
There was a sudden yank on his hair, causing him to squeal.
“What was that?”

“Nothing. I hope he asks you for a dance or all this energy will go to waste.”

Kiki’s knee stopped bobbing. I’m hoping he asks me for more than a dance, Grandmama.

It was a clear evening, miraculously free of the oppressive humidity that so often attacked the inhabitants of Firdaus, but Kiki still chose to clothe himself lightly—loose shorts that moved with him and a linen shirt that draped over his athletic form, tauntingly unbuttoned almost to his navel with the rest tucked into his waistband. A tangle of hemp and silver-colored necklaces knocked against his bronzed chest every time he took a step forward, walking only a short distance to the town center. His hair, which his grandmama had so lovingly woven, hung down in an intricate braid between his shoulderblades. A few tiny shells with holes worn through them had been dispersed through the dark locks. Thin lines of Kohl had been carefully applied on the inside adn outside corners of his eyes.

Maybe this is too much, he thought as he looked at his reflection.

As nervous as he was, he showed up a little too early and somehow found a way to corner Neniiyah, who had been running around putting the final touches on the party. Maybe it was a good thing that he was providing her with relief from her work—but then again, all he was really offering was a loose mouth and a clear insight into the fact that he was a bundle of nerves.

“... and I didn’t really think he’d buy it, but after all they did look like mostly healthy fish, and I wasn’t about to tell him they were already dead when I picked them up off the beach after that storm.”

“Mhm.”

“So I was curious and I brought one back to Grandmama—she’s complaining of stiff joints these days but she won’t use her cane—and she cooked it up and it smelled like whale piss. So I thought that maybe they’d been dead longer than I thought? It tasted alright, but it was kind of chewy, and it had this bitter aftertaste. I think it was a good thing we didn’t make sushi out of it, don’t you?”

“Yeah.”

“It was a good thing I sold them to that Shajaran, though. Anyone with a brain could tell that they weren’t fresh. I’ve been staying out of the market since then—you think he’d carry a grudge? I mean, if he cooked them up, he doesn’t exactly have any evidence to convict me. Either way, I don’t think I’ll be gathering up dead fish again. Not worth it. Are you listening to me?
They’d been sitting together on a fallen log by the bonfire, although Kiki had been staring up at the stars, which rippled and moved from the heat that billowed upward. He waved a hand in front of Nen’s face, slightly offended, but luckily for her, she didn’t have time to answer. Rabies made it to her first.

The tremor in the weasley man’s voice was enough to send Kiki right back to the edge he’d been wavering on all day. His fingernails dug into the wood and suddenly he was on his feet, the comforting heat of the bonfire disappearing as he followed the bustle of angry activity within the wall of trees beyond the clearing.

He’d barely heard Rabies but the words "Shajaran” and “dead children,” clearly meant only for Nen’s ears, were the driving force. Memories he’d tried to move on from long ago were suddenly bubbling back to the surface like dead fish, memories of himself and his brother and the news that had changed everything.He was trembling again but this time for a much different reason.

He could smell the blood before he saw it—tangy and potent, staining the dirt and the fallen leaves. He saw the arm before he saw the body it belonged to, and watched the blood drip from the suspended girl before he noticed her eyes were missing. He knew he shouldn’t have come—the tension between Shati and Shajaran was thick enough to cut with a knife—but in a rare moment, Kiki found himself unafraid for his own wellbeing as he crouched down to stare, wide-eyed, at the dead boy sprawled atop a bed of leaves.

Momma. Dad. Just like this.

It didn’t even occur to him that the boy was Shajaran. All that mattered was that two little children were dead and it was all their fault. It was always their fault.

“Murderers!”
Kiki fell to his knees, his voice ripping through his throat like a poking a pencil through paper. Dark eyes flickered up, blazing with an intense emotion he’d been avoiding for years. It felt like he was undoing years of work in this single moment.
“Crawl back to your fucking jungle! Leave us alone!”
His face was suffused with fierce red, and his fingers curled into the dirt, wrapping around the first hard object he found and hurling it toward the Shajaran wall that loomed in front of him. The rock flew harmlessly over a forest of heads, heads that only continued to stare him down like he was a bug caught in the glare of a magnifying glass.

That was when he started to feel afraid.

♡coded by uxie♡

Last edited:

eva gonzalez.

• mood

"what's the most painful torture device i can make to punish this crime?"

Blood and guts and gore was all that Eva had ever known. Safety was a luxury that the craftsman had never been able to afford. Not as a child in Juarez, not as a young woman on the run, and not as a Shajaran. But at least Shajara was a familiar danger, the kind that one could find solace in the routine of. Sure, there was poisonous snakes, sharks surrounding the island, and a clan of fish people who wanted her clan dead, but it was home.

For the first time in her life, Eva had family. Even if they were a clan of criminals and societal outcasts, they were thicker than blood and willing to spill as much of it as it took to keep each other safe. The danger of Firdaus was the same as that of a pet tiger. Welcoming once you got out of the teething stage, unless of course it decided to rip you to shreds one day.

Despite her constant insulting of the Shati, the craftsman looked forward to the annual gathering. If you could get past their awful smell, some of the Shati weren't terrible conversationists. Especially their advisor. The smiles on her clan members faces and the bursts of laughter that enraptured the night were worth dealing with even the worst of the others.

So the sound of wailing and screaming sent Eva into an immediate frenzy. This was supposed to be a night of joy, an escape from the hard labor and tense politics for one night. The sight threatened to bring bile up even more than the stench did. A mind constantly racing a million miles a minute, and yet she only had one single thought. She was going to tear whoever did this to shreds.

Before she could rip into the nearest Shati, she remembered that Akua was still back at camp. Unaware of the carnage awaiting her. Of the trap that had been set for them on this supposedly joyous night. Eva took off in a sprint, picking her dress up to allow her long legs room to bound over the tangle of forest floor, flying like a panther chasing prey through the vines and thicket.

“Akua!”
The craftsman cried as she stumbled into her leader's den. Words came tumbling out in a tidal wave as she tried to catch her breath. Every minute she spent explaining was more time Shati could spend attacking them or whatever horrible plan they'd set in motion.

With lungs still stinging, the craftsman lead her leader and advisor back to the horror that awaited them. If Sahil dared to try and calm any of them, Eva was going to rip into him before turning on the Shati. Before she could even begin to threaten him or anyone else, their normally ferocious leader was giving orders. It wasn't her usual teeth baring and pointed claws, it was something even scarier. The anger that rippled beneath the surface was something Eva had only seen once before, and those on the other end of that rage had been eradicated.

Resistance would've been given to anyone else, but Eva trusted Akua with not just her own life, but all of the other's as well.
“Let her hang them by their entrails.”
Eva seethed in Sahil's ear as she stalked past him from her leader's side to begin corralling the gathered Shajara to their bunker.

Already her mind was reeling with the tasks piling up with this latest development. Recent tensions had Eva working overtime to prepare weapons and solidify traps, but with a practical declaration of war there was a never ending surplus of work to do for her clan's protection. Once everyone was secured, she would have to take Idris and inspect the entire border for any traps that needed fixing, then she would move on to the weapons.

"I checked the safe house a few weeks ago. It should be good to go, but we need to triple check it once we get everyone inside."
Eva hoped that Idris had already processed what was happening, because the gears of war were already turning in her mind.

exhausted

chloe moriondo

♡coded by uxie♡

Neniiyah.

• It’s going to be fine. For sure… why wouldn’t it be?

Neniiyah had worked through the first two nails on her left hand and there were still hours to go before anything actually began. In the past these things had been successful, but the past was not the present, and no one could predict the future. Even with her many checklists - mental and physical - only time would tell if her careful preparations would hold up to the stress of the tension between the two clans. She hated the way they treated each other. Like toxic lovers, too dependent for either to retreat but too stubborn to every compromise, the clans danced with power. Not only did it cast a shadow over the beauty of their home, but it also made her job incredibly difficult at times, and that was somehow worse. A contented Dayyaan was a handful and a half of sand constantly spilling out of her control. Managing an agitated Dayyaan was more in the realm of bailing a boat with no more than a fork.

The slender woman lifted her head to the window and the view of the midday sun beyond its slats. She slowly released a sigh she hadn’t realized she’d been holding. Who had time to simply stand around when there was so much work still to be done anyway? Certainly not Nen. Yes, it would help her get things off her mind. Being idle in the bright of day was bad for her sanity and if there was ever a day she needed it, today was that.

- - - - - -

Despite her endless preparations, hours later she was still buzzing with anxiety. There was a sourness in the air - maybe she was imagining it (or hallucinating it; proper sleep for her and the leader was nowhere on any checklist of hers). It caused unease in her belly, and skittishness in the way her gaze flitted around the fire. Now that darkness had settled in, people had begun to gather and fill the clearing. It smelled of food and booze - maybe that’s what the sourness was… she tried so very hard to convince herself. Neniiyah hadn’t touched any liquor tonight. Besides her terrible tolerance to the dizzying liquid, she maintained that at least one person was going to have to be sober at the end of this all. What if a fight broke out, or something caught fire? What if they ran out of food or there was an excessive mess made… She was down to her last digit now, gnawing as her distanced gaze lingered, unfocused, on the flickering of the fire.

”...dead fish again. Not worth it. Are you listening to me?” Her head turned slowly, eyes wide enough for her dissociating consciousness to crawl back in. That’s right, she was meant to be listening to Kiki’s problems, not thinking about her own. She greeted his pout with a flicker of warmth in the coal black of her eyes, pinched by the slightest whisper of a smile. Her lips parted to reassure him that she hadn’t been listening to a single word, but another voice interrupted to so kindly inform her that her greatest fears had been realized.

”Two bodies - a sharajan and shati kid- dead in the woods. Day says the party’s over.” On any other given day, having Rabies’ voice so close to her ear from behind would have gifted him an instinctual hit. This time she just froze. Every inch of her went cold, even so close to the fire. Dead… children… Nen gulped and felt movement beside her. ”Ki-!” She grasped for the arm of her friend who had been beside her but caught only air. A moment too late. Rab watched him run away toward a commotion that was slowly building - a flow of people full of curiosity and drunken numbness who were about to have their nights ruined. Death was not unknown to the people of the island, but the death of a child was…

The air felt thick and stifling. Nen’s chest stung, her insides pulled tight. ”Day says bring everyone inside…” Rab nodded in the direction of the schoolhouse - how morbidly ironic, albeit a good idea. Gather the community out of sight and in a controllable area. Gather them… Her face may not have changed beyond a flicker of fear and disgust, but her heart was pounding on the inside. Her limbs felt numb as she stood, slowly, holding her breath. Images of her younger siblings flashed in her mind and she felt sick. Where are they? Are they safe? Did they even come?

Clarity came in a moment of fear, and she could finally see the people around her. There was uncertainty and fear. Rab’s words echoed in her head, flooding in with the sounds of the world. Gather…shit. Nen felt like she could barely breathe, let alone lead a crowd. Her lips parted, playing with the flavor of a few words. There was nothing at first but a whisper and a gasp. Again.

”...to the schoolhouse… Everyone to the-” Neniiyah looked behind herself and clambered onto the felled log. ”Please, gather inside the schoolhouse everyone!” Was her voice trembling as she called out? A few turned their heads. She tried again, ”Everyone, gather your loved ones and-” The crowd was quieting, allowing her voice to carry but also for the cries of what was undoubtedly a mourning mother in the distance to crash through the quiet of frightful minds. Stay… calm. Be calm. Shouting wasn’t going to do anyone good at this point. Stepping down from her makeshift pedestal, she opted to move through the crowd on her own. Stern, unsmiling, but not unkindly guiding people toward the open doors of the building. When she came upon a sober guard she gave them instructions to watch over those who were gathering.

It’s a good thing I haven’t drank… this is what I prepared for, right? Prepare for the… worst? Out of view, she buckled against a tree. ”It’s supposed to only be a saying…”

coded by weldherwings.

yves

Slippery rocks. Rotten, broken branches. Bits and pieces of his disastrous drunken night had started to flash in Yves mind a few days after the incident happened, an incident that had left him in considerable pain and a very, very angry attitude.

He’d been stressed, okay. Being the lead warrior, the head fighter of a group of people wasn’t as easy as it sounded. More than half couldn’t throw a stick two feet away from them and those that did want to actually learn how to fight were honestly pretty bad. It took all of his internal strength to not choke them out when they couldn’t grasp an easy move after the fiftieth time he’d explained it and he had to will himself not to punch everyone in the mouth when not a single person could get a knife to stick to the target. Plus, tensions with the Shajaran’s were mounting and there was just a lot he was carrying on his shoulders.

He deserved this drink.

Except that one drink turned to several and before he knew it, Yves was completely black out and woke up the next morning on the floor of his house. How he got there or what transpired that night, he didn’t know. But what he did know was that he had immense pain on the left side of his rib cage. Lifting his shirt up revealed a deep purple bruise the size of a soccer ball and after prodding the bruise with his fingertips, probable cracked ribs. Fantastic.

After shakily getting to his feet, he hobbled over to the dresser drawer he used as his “medical drawer” and pulled out a standard cotton wrap. Since he refused to go to a doctor or healer under any circumstances, this would have to do. So, gritting his teeth, he began to wrap the injury as tight as he could stand. Then, after drawing the curtains and locking the door so Rabies couldn’t barge in unannounced, it was straight to bed.

The next day he woke up with hunger gnawing at his stomach but after trying to eat an apple, discovered that eating caused too much pain. So he cracked open a can of soup he kept for reasons like this, drank half of it, and was back to sleep within minutes.

Day three of the cracked ribs proved slightly better than day one but still came with pain. Yves undid the wrap to see that the bruise had gone from a deep purple to a lighter purple with green and yellow tinged at the edges. A decent improvement, he thought. Sleeping uninterrupted for three days definitely worked wonders for injuries, or bruises maybe since his ribs still hurt like fuck and probably would for a while.

As he began to rewrap his ribs, he was reminded that today was the day of the first annual “peace bonfire” between the two clans, a bonfire created to help promote unity and create bonds between members. Yeah, fat chance of that happening. Given the fact that he was injured, Yves wasn’t going to attend. They could do without him for a night, especially since tonight was supposed to be all about peace and bonding.

He was woken up from dreamland by a pounding on his door. “Yves!” called a voice that wasn’t Rabies. Adrien. “Open up.” When the door was finally opened by the disheveled Shati lead warrior, the artisan stumbled in. “Dead bodies,” he gasped, appearing to have run all the way here. “They found two dead bodies in the woods. One Shati, one Shajara.” And Yves didn’t need him to say anything else. Ignoring the pain, he walked over to his dresser and pulled on the first pair of jeans and shirt he could find, tied his hair up into a bun on top of his head and followed Adrien out the door.

The two were halfway to where the bonfire was supposed to be when Rabies flung himself into their path. Great. “Everyone’s meeting in the school building,” Rab said, also seeming to have run here. “Day wants you to go there and make sure everyone is in order, keep everyone in line.” Well, he doubted that’s what Day said but Yves knew what he wanted. With a nod from the warrior, Rabies was off to bother someone else.

“Adrien,” Yves began, “go to the schoolhouse. I’ll be there soon, I need to see Day first.” And see these bodies to know exactly what we’re dealing with. When the artisan left, he headed straight to where he was told the bodies were. Though he’d seen hundreds of dead bodies in his day, most being caused by himself, nothing could prepare him for this. No one had told him they were children, teenagers at most. And was that a bullet wound? The island didn’t allow guns or gunpowder, how was there a bullet in that kid?

Fueled by a burning desire to find out who did this, Yves turned away from the scene and began walking to where he knew Day would be, swallowing down the bile that had risen in his throat when he saw the dead. Who could be so twisted to kill kids? He’d killed a lot of people in his past but they were all adults; the act of killing a child, of killing someone completely innocent was unfathomable to him. He’d personally make whoever did this pay.

It seemed as if the Shajaran’s had the same idea as he did since one was attacking the leader as Yves stepped onto the scene. Day took care of that man easily but when the second charged, he stepped up and sent him flying backwards with a kick to the head. “You’d figure they’d have enough sense to not to attack the leader when the lead warrior and guards are present, but alcohol has never been kind to those who are already lacking intelligence.” he commented, punching another in the throat.

When Day pulled out his dagger, Yves did as well. When more Shajaran’s tried to attack them both, Yves sent the dagger flying straight through a jungle dwellers palm. As the man howled in pain, Yves retrieved the knife and sent it into the next attackers arm. Were they all really this stupid? He was about to send it flying again when Akua and her minions stepped onto the scene, all staring at Day. Unsure of how to proceed, he stored it back in his belt loop.

He knew Akua had a craving for blood unlike anyone he’d ever met, and that was saying something considering he grew up in Manhattan’s biggest gang and led them starting at the age of 17. She’d find a way to pin this murder on the Shati and then would attack faster than Rabies could insert himself into a situation he didn’t belong in. He could practically taste the desire for war on the air and now deemed it crucial that he get to the school building as quickly as possible to go over battle plans should they be necessary.

“I’m going to the school house to supervise everything.” he told Day. By supervise he really meant take numbers of those who could fight if necessary, try and figure out what weapons they had available and begin to come up with training schedules. “I’ll see you there. Shout if you need me.” And he walked off in the direction of the school, ignoring the pain as he did so. His ribs really picked a horrible time to be cracked.

/* ------ credit -- do not remove ------ */

© weldherwings.

In a perfect world, the sun is always shining.

Fingers of light stretch down through verdant leaves carrying notes of the melon taste that the heavenly beings above allow their loyal followers to fill their stomachs with.

For a moment, everything is perfect; a breeze that carries the addictive scent of salt and sulfur along crashing shorelines. A cacophonous thunder of voices rolls along the white-washed buildings and up against the naked extremities of stars as another dance of muscles carries out before the crowds of hundreds — no, thousands.

Metal forged from the same stone by the same master hands sends sparks through the air, a splash of scarlet along gleaming facets. Sweat mingles and combines, a blending of the human genome more intimate than nights spent under starry heavens in fields of gold.

For a moment he can feel his heart beating in that time of sharpened spears and dusted roads; of temples rising higher and higher in uniform rows before him, white columns that stretch from buried palms towards a teasing sky. They are feet at which he would worship, sacrifices brought in hopes of answering prayers for every part of his life, good or bad. It really is perfect.

Ah, but isn't it just so that perfection never lasts?

Eyes make the mistake of taking a break to blink against the sights before him, opening once more to a distorted reverie.

"Idris, you need to wake up."

No, he didn't really want to do that.

It was nicer to think about ignoring the voice that boomed above him like some malevolent god intent on ruining his day. The sphere of his mind was comfortable, cushy. Gone was the dull ache that persisted in his muscles, the dirt that got under armor and never fully washed away. Sunlight fell on him but he felt not the burn on unprotected skin as he did during practices.

"Idris."

The voice came in a flatter tone, more annoyance than worry to it and far too close to ignore. Eyelashes flirted with the air as pupils worked themselves to see again. Arms raised upwards and reached forwards, unfamiliar hands wrapping around them before a haul of strength brought the collapsed warrior back up onto his feet. A stumbled step forward mimicked the spin his head was forced into before sharp pain sucked the oxygen from his lungs.

Ah.

A drill had been ran, distracted thoughts overtaking an awareness that led to a slip in timing and the firm smack on the small of his back. It didn't help he had already been struggling since the morning, a wash of pain that had his body crumple in a faint. Remnants of the ejections of breakfast were wiped away as a weathered hand reached to graze the heavily scarred area.

She's going to kill me.

Eyes wandered upwards, a treehouse that sat close to the training ground holding a being he was not particularly in the mood to handle a fuss fest from. Mouth flattened itself into a tight line before a defeated sigh prompted the wave of the hand that dismissed those around them from the remainder of their drills. A murmur fell out that preparation for the celebration sat in higher importance for the time being. Break from an unforgiving sun was all that was needed as an excuse, quickened steps away from the lead Shajaran warrior as he caught the breath that had been knocked out of him.

Sure, he could put on a smile and pour words of wine that shared events were important but he was gripped by a bigger issue at the moment, palms resting too long on damaged muscle to hide behind subtleties and lies. Even as he returned slowly to his own residence he couldn't help the itching feeling that today would continue to not be his day.

»»———-  ———-««​

Tonight was supposed to be an opportunity to relax, a sway on the duties he often kept to long into the night. It was supposed to be a chance for strained muscles to settle and calm themselves even as a mind stayed focused and sharp.

Gone was the heavy outfit used to both raise strength and mimic warriors of a forgotten age; exposed muscle now stood in place, precious metals woven into freshly washed curls. Hours had been spent since that morning in a friendly company, a warmth he found in the owl that sat high in the trees with her medicinal remedies and fantastical stories.

They had traveled to the event together on this night, a suggestion at his behalf if not for the sake of pestering her further for the stories she so expertly weaved from myth and memory. Despite the darkening sky he kept a ray of sun to himself, a smile that beamed at the clan medic. He had insisted on bringing along a weapon despite any protests, a tightened grip on a spear shaft that gave a firmer no than mischievous eyes.

Relaxation was not a common word he could flip to in the vocabulary of his life, a seat just taken beside the female Shajaran before he allowed fingers to loosen and settle against the texture of the Earth.
"Ivy, you withholding your stories from me serves as what sort of cruel punishment? Tell me, what star must I capture and bring to the Earth to convince you that I am not, in fact, killing myself?" It was a conversation he had carried on from earlier, the muttered whispers of promise that an accident such as that morning not repeating carrying little conviction.

A sigh escaped him, a head that tilted back and took eyes away from his friendly companion to trace over constellations. There were thoughts he had to have, thoughts that had nothing to do with the bonfire and everything to do with longevity.

"Are you going to tell Akua about it? I'm not sure what I'm willing to do to ask that you don't but perhaps we could —."

Despite the buoyancy of his spirit he found his words being drowned, a scream that pulled them back and tossed them over a cliff.

Hardly seconds passed before limbs were moving, a sudden swiftness that stabbed mockingly at his back. Fingers found themselves curling in earnest around the spear he had brought, legs planting themselves onto the ground and into a stance that placed the medic protectively behind him. Instinct raised the hackles of his spirit, only a moment spared to take notice of his surroundings before he saw the form of a battle hungry Shajaran come forth from a scattered crowd.

Eyes met, nods exchanged and Idris turned just enough to give notice to the woman he had accompanied. Duty called, even as a hand faltered in reaching out, a trembling stilled with a growing coldness of responsibility.

"Stay safe."

Please.

The last word was left off, eyes already conveying the delicate plea as attention turned from Ivy and towards the rising commotion. Excitement shone with the flexing of muscles, steps towards the middle of the conflict ignoring the whispered weariness his mind warned him of. Unfortunate as the situation was he found the comfort of having brought a weapon useful now in breaking up starting fights between Shati and Shajaran, a body that shoved between bodies and sent Shajarans towards their safe location.

Rocks and sticks could pathetically fly through the air and it wouldn't stop the memorized motions he allowed his body through, the unintentional bloodlust crawling from the depths of an excited mind and peering curiously at each Shati he yanked a Shajaran from.

Shati were ... well, not a challenge.

Only a few had consistently held their ground against him and the young parasite that was stabbing through limbs was one of those people. Arm pulled back on the necks of those that had seemed to draw the attention of the younger male, a gritting of teeth yanking them more forcibly away than necessary. Deep resentment filled his eyes but it was not directed towards the Shati member, form drawn upwards and intimidating as a voice growled at the injured Shajarans.

"Go to Ivannah and beg she find time to treat you."

Fighting without orders . . .

Knuckles flashed white with a tightened grip on the shaft of the spear, eyes that spared only a brief look to a retreating back before he was shoving the injured Shajarans away from the line. The chaos wasn't over but it felt contained, eyes that flicked between him and the Shati showing hints of hesitation. He barked orders at the ones that stood still, a swipe through the air with pointed spear and broad movements aiding him in corralling the final brave stragglers away.

Idris was just beginning his own movements towards the bunker when a voice came to his side, a string of syllables filled a palpable anticipation that filled his own heart with sinking dread. Eva was right, as desperately as he wanted her to be wrong. Teeth pulled at calloused lips in thought before a nod signalled his acknowledgement of her.

"The faster we secure everyone, the less likely some idiotic plan is allowed to fester."

His gaze was pulled to her as he spoke, eyes that took in the mechanisms spinning in her mind. He swallowed a sigh of exasperation, allowing his legs to pull him forward and behind the last of the Shajarans.

warrior

idris

♡coded by uxie♡

Last edited:
Shajaran Medic
mood
sympathetic and sorrowful.
mentions
Nen, Day, and Akua mentioned. Talked to Kiki and Idris. queanbean queanbean sox sox erzulie erzulie boo. boo. cavitea cavitea
Ivannah

‘How much longer can we last like this— Teetering on this thin line of peace with the flames of war licking at our heels.’

Steam no longer wafted up from the floral-filled water the blonde had been soaking in for the better part of the last thirty minutes. Her arms rested on the sides of the tub that she had built into her homestead for more than just cleanliness. It was days like these when she was stuck between the two warring clans as one of the only able-bodied medics available to treat past normal first aid, and in charge of seeing to the injuries caused just before the great unity feast. Her knuckle rested on her lip as she stared out the slightly cracked window, her thoughts mulling over all the trouble her clan mates and the Shatis had gotten into before the festivities started that had dug deeply into her already quickly shrinking free time.

1. Establish a lesson plan for medic seminars.
  2. Draw up plans for a working med bay.
  3. Write up several textbooks for her students to fall back on after the seminars, they need to be simple and small enough to carry on them at all times.
  4. Mrs. Nora is due any day now, so she’ll need a note.
  5. Not to mention she needed to put down the latest adjustments to the prototype weapons she and Eva were working on to bolster the armory.

A deep sigh escaped her as she sunk deeper into the water, letting her head roll back to rest against the side of the tub, her eyes closing for a moment.

For just a moment she had to relax.

Counting backward from ten, she let her stress melt away with each exhale. She didn’t have the luxury to fully devote much more time to pamper herself in the bath, but thankfully her muscles had gotten a break at least. The water swirled down the makeshift drains she had planned meticulously long ago to fall over parts of her garden below, listening to the sound as she dried herself off shortly before wrapping a towel around herself. Her hair only slightly damp from washing it first, ready for her to stand on the “mirror” by her bath for her to start weaving in the silver stars and gold circle accessories to her hair in intricate braids on the side of her head. The rest of her hair being left pulled back by the braids and down past her shoulders, the once lustrous pale blonde was surely fading to a more ivory color, but it at least made the dangling gold earrings she wore stand out.

All designs made by the Shajarans blacksmith, despite her battle-hungry ways, were more than capable of finessing a detailed design to life. And loved the change of pace after so many swords were ordered.

The thought of which made a smile come to her lips as she used the black eyeliner made from crushed burnt almonds and a few drops of oil to line her eyes with a cat eye wing with an angled brush she used her own hair to make. The beet red balm she applied to her lips tasted like the berries they were made from.

Who knew Donnatia’s need to apply her face every morning when they were kids would have been so helpful…

Her lips pressed into a thin line as she cleaned the brush and set it to dry on the small counter of her bathroom, stewing in silence as she let her mind move away from the topic of her family, her hands resting firmly on the counter with a white knuckle grip. There was no way she was going to let herself ruin the bit of makeup she applied now. So instead she smiled at her reflection and at her work to see if there was anything else she had to do before putting on her dress for the evening.

It was more form-fitting than the clothes she usually wore, and the splits held together by the straps of fabric at the sides emphasized the wideness of her hips in a flattering way, overall a dress meant to turn heads and catch wandering eyes. Something she would normally avoid, but today was the feast and she’d have her hooded cape to wear over it. The fur-lined fabric reaching just below her waist, held closed at her shoulder by a silver pin, already fighting the chill that had been seeping through her skin was halted by the warmth of the fur. Her black sandals being tied to her legs in a more formal version of a specific gladiator style that had been raved to her was one of the best to wear by the very warrior whose voice could be occasionally heard yelling instructions from the training yard below since her windows were cracked open.

How easy it was to lie and say that it was just to keep tabs on them in case of injury. The lulls and cadences were a calming form of white noise that helped her focus on the task at hand. Which for right now was the beginning of a lesson plan, with notes and simple sketches of a med bay to teach in, though both were very rough. Her hand jerked in shock at the squawk of the feathered companion who called the same tree home, and the sudden loss of that familiar comfort.

Standing abruptly from her seat, she went over to her window, opening it and looking first at the training grounds until Barnaby and his speckled brown feathers waddled over to her from a branch close by, a baby snake laying limp in its beak.

“Barnaby…” Ivy stressed the name she had noticed it respond to, watching as it paused, its head tilting to the side for a moment as it watched her with eyes that blinked far less than her own. They were watching her as she looked back down to the training grounds again before she sighed and slipped back inside, leaving the window open for the bird. “Eat the head before you come inside with it.” The hoops and hollers of the young being allowed to leave early disturbed the peace, something only their teacher could do. It was the only reason she reclosed her front door after watching through the small crack as he headed to his home with a hand on his back. The tension that left her shoulders at the sight was nice, but her lips remained firmly pressed into a thin, worried line as she stayed by the closed door, her palm resting on the smooth.

'Will Akua let him have a day off if I take over for the day....' The thought alone made her huff as she pushed herself away from the door and her worries to go back to her desk to clean up the spilled ink and messed-up plans she tried halfheartedly to salvage. 'I can start the lesson plans early and take up the slotted time at the training grounds to show how to set up a triage before the lessons?' Weighing the options of maybe asking the advisor for a favor crossed her mind, but that meant she would owe him, and to be honest she wasn't too keen on that either. But it would still be a benefit to the clan and Sahil was one of the only people Akua listened to.

Whether Barnaby understood or not, the head was devoured before he glided his way inside after watching the woman walking into her room with the ruined sheets of paper in hand, dropping the snake carcass on the floor as if it was a plate of china and not something Ivy tried to keep clean. The exasperated sigh that sounded from her room as she grabbed her thigh holster for her knives so she could start putting them in since she was quickly running out of time.

So many things to do, but she was definitely going to put some towards this.

One knife.

The familiar patter of footsteps of a weary man with back pain methodically etched up the stairs leading to the door of her home.

Two knives.

They paused by the door, and a half smirk lifted the corner of her lips.

Three knives.

The person at the door knocked thrice before she called out for them to come in, her foot resting on the side of her table as she slid the fourth knife carefully into place. The cool metal making the nerves beneath her skin prickle to life.

The last knife was in her hand as she looked up at her expected guest from beneath her lashes with ease, her smirk turning to a teasing smile.

“You’re certainly early, dearest Icarus. But I suppose even a man may find the warmth of battle to dwindle when there is a grand feast waiting for him just beyond the setting sun.” Her tone was light as she lifted her head up to face him normally, all knives accounted for in their rightful place and a mischievous glimmer in lighting her blue eyes. “Especially when he finds himself falling to the Earth more frequently than him staying upright while teaching his dawning students.”

Standing upright, she waved her hand to dispel her teasing with a small sigh as she started walking toward the bathroom to start running what was left of the warm water for Idris, who had stood there awkwardly at being called out for fainting right out the gate. “I certainly hope that you don't share his fate before I can get Akua to give you the day off. And no, I'm not telling you any stories until after I've done everything I can to treat your back.”

The feast was as decadent as it was last year. The people and the warmth of the fire invited all closer to rest their weary bodies to rest, regardless of the clan they hailed from. Children were even about and had swarmed their beloved narrator for a story the moment she and Idris had entered the scene. Almost as if they were sharks led by chum, that chum being the unspoken tension of Ivy's threat to withhold story time so the man beside her would heed her warnings of caring for his body. It didn't help to save her from getting a little warm in face from the immediate attention upon their arrival, or how a few had latched on to her legs and were pleading up at her.

"But Miss Ivy, you said you were going to finish the story from last time. You promised!"
"It's not fair that you've been too busy to come back to see us."
"Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease!?"

The blonde could hardly stand to look at their begging eyes without feeling herself start to cave, so she turned her head to Idris. Which did make her forget about their pleading, but also brought an entirely different idea to mind. Leaning over a little, she raised her hand to hide her mouth from the man's view as her eyes gained that mischievous gleam again. "Alright, I'll tell you all a story if you make sure our lead warrior here can't eavesdrop on it. He's been trying to get me to spill all of my stories before I even got to share them with you guys." She proposed in a fake whisper her company could surely hear before letting her hand be grabbed by a giggling Shajaran girl to lead her a little ways away to begin storytime. The rest soon followed afterward, poking fun at the man though they didn't stop him from watching her exaggerated motions once she started her tale in a hushed voice that brought even a few Shati children to sit close and watch.

A few times that they locked eyes, they would both be smiling, as even he could see this was a story he already knew. The children though were kept very entertained until they were herded away from her gradually by their parents as the sky began to darken and she got to rest her voice and tired limbs by the fire in the fallen log that was the bench, her fingers gently tracing the coarse bark of the tree where it hadn't been worn away from years of being sat on.

The warrior finds a spot at her side, his hand on the earth, while her gaze only briefly flickered away from the fire. Her smile was warm as she watched him speak. A chuckle bubbled up from her chest as she let herself slowly begin to relax as she listens to his voice, her head tilting back so she can stare at the star-filled sky. Her laughter died out to silence.

"The north star," She answered softly as she breathed out a sigh, looking for it amongst the many stars. "Maybe Polaris would be able to guide you to better health since I seem to fail at doing so." With a wry smile she let her eyes wander around the merry faces around them, a sick feeling pooling in her stomach as she felt the tell tale of eyes on her. Trying to retain her relaxed posture, Ivy continued to scan the people around.

Ice pooled in her veins with pins and needles stabbing into every nerve she had as she slowly lifted her gaze from across her spot by the fire, Idris's voice sounding faint to her ears.

She didn't get to look fully up. Startled by the scream that shattered the hold that had made her hold her breath without her realizing it. She sprung to her feet at the ready with her fingers grabbing onto the handle of her knives. He planted himself protectively in front of her, his knuckles as white as her own as she lifted the knife from its spot by her thigh.

Their clansman stalked from the woods looking ready to tear the Shatis' limb from limb. It was a look she had seen often enough that she could probably draw it with ease despite being a terrible artist. The peace of the evening was ripped from them all, and chaos was quickly taking its place. She could handle herself just fine, but her stomach sank upon hearing the news shared to the Shati advisor only a few ways away from them.

Two kids were dead???

Her eyes met Idris as he turned to look at her, and she saw the tremble in his hand as he reached out hesitantly, faltering quickly as it grew still under the weight of what was going on. The dawning of what could be war under a sea of stars. Ivy knew her hand was trembling, though she dared not blame the current chaos for it, so instead she reached out fully to enclose the hand that faltered in her own.

Listening to the quiet words.

"Stay safe."

And the silent ones.

Please.

Ivy squeezed his hand between her own as she gave him the small, thin smile she could muster as some reassurance.

"Good luck with herding our clanmates. I'll rejoin you, and the clan as soon as I can."

Then she let go and they parted ways. Ivy went heading toward where she had heard the bodies were located with her knife in hand and her pace as fast as she dared, only slowing to turn her cloak inside out for the cross emblem to be seen. She was thankful for the medic emblem having been sewn to the inside of her cloaks, even outside of wartime, as if her face wasn't recognizable enough, the emblem was and it at least got her safe-ish passage to where she was needed most.

The sight and smell alone tugged at her heart as her steps slowed. The chaos, fighting, and Shati daggers being thrown around left a lot to be desired and getting to the bodies a hazard. Though it was nice to see both leaders get their people into some control. Akua was being deadly calm, which was honestly far more nerve-wracking than anything else at the moment. Including the Shati guy having a breakdown by the dead boy missing an arm.

There was a call to leave to their respective clan meetings, some listening immediately, and others pausing to watch as she slowly made her way over to the sobbing man.

"Sir, I'm a medic," Ivy calmly spoke as she stopped a few steps away, not daring to touch Kiki or risk setting him off again. "And I need you to carefully move away from him so that I can do my job for both him and the girl." Her tone was apologetic as she soon looked over to Day, her lips pressing into a thin line. Her brows furrowed in a hard stare that she turned away from to shake her head with a sigh deciding very quickly that he might not be the best one to ask to help with the emotional man.

"Can you stand?"

coded by natasha.

ADVISOR

• mood
    empathetic & bitter.

mention
    akua.

SAHIL VYAS

A feeling such as this ought to be forbidden, like it shouldn’t exist in the aftermath of horrors.

Guilt laces in his stomach, and a feeling of dishonor that cannot deserve softness gnaws at his heart, encroaching on his soul like an insatiable parasite searching for the bountiful fruit of regret and fear seeping from his heart. It’s the belief that his bloodied palms cannot hold anything so precious, yet he seeks their light like a moth to a flame, listening to the words they speak and almost convinces himself for them to be true—that he could be something more than what they made him.

“But, Mr. V you already are a good person.” The little girl uttered, eyes lifting to meet Sahil’s own as astonishment sneaks into his visage; a gentle shade slipping into murky hues and softening the normally hardened gaze. “You think so?” He murmurs, but the question was directed towards himself, rather than the tiny being sitting across from him. He hadn’t realized when their conversation drifted past numerical equations, and confusing passages, for Sahil often enjoyed conversing with the children he tutored past regular lesson plans. His question for the children was one of harmless nature; “If you could be anything, what would you be?” Most blurted out frivolous answers, such as wishing to be the birds in the sky, while others pondered the question further and wished to be the best leader on the island. Yet, when faced with the same question at the hands of inquisitive students, the question weighed heavily on his being—almost suffocating.

“I’m cutting our time short for the day in preparation for tonight’s gathering. I hope to see you all later today.” Clasping his hands together to commence the ending of their class, a chorus of cheers sounded from the group. Bidding each of them goodbyes, Sahil watched as they dispersed from his sight and in tow to their homes not far from where they were.

The sun still sat tall in the sky as hues of blue bled across the expanse. The day was still young, yet exhaustion seeped into his being like unrelenting waves crashing to shore. Although, Sahil had no one to blame except himself—preparations for the event and what all to come took precedence over sleep in the late hours of the night. Even when he found the time to lay down, his mind forbade him from succumbing to the sweetness of his blankets and the comfort behind closed eyes.

Gathering tonight to symbolize the harmony of two clans was something Sahil stressed relentlessly to Akua, who was less than pleased with the idea. It took him days to ease her into a reluctant agreement as many things did, for he was as insistent as she was stubborn. The Shati were a presence Sahil avoided when possible, finding the likes of them to be annoying and unwanted, but he couldn’t deny the importance of peace between them, even when the line dictating peace only seemed to grow thinner and thinner with each day.

--

Twinkling lights above and the low thrum of music weaves itself amongst the crowd; the air crisp and heavy with musk and mingled breaths of intoxication. Within the masses of people stands Sahil who finds his salvation at the bottom of amber liquid, it tastes saccharine—almost cloyingly sweet and clings to his tongue. His fingers trace patterns around the edge of the cup, eyes fleeting from person-to-person observing the waxing and waning of emotions across their faces. Moments ago Sahil found himself in the company of others, conversing lightly with any he crossed paths with, but now he stood an outsider looking in. Never much of a social butterfly and these sorts of events always made it more apparent how much more he enjoyed his own company.

Suddenly, something cackles in the air that hits his bones, leaving Sahil uncomforted; wary. He feels it in the air, before he hears it above the music and piercing through the crowd, before his feet are carrying him forward. By the time he reaches the scene, something akin to a disease has already stretched out, overtaking the minds of the clans with dripping tongues and feverish teeth, they descend upon each other only able to see what was right in front of them and not what awaited them—war was nigh on the horizon.

Akua’s words are a knife, dropping like gravity in this space of unruliness, nips at the feet of Shajarans as some drag along and others linger bearing teeth. She’s behaving the exact opposite of what Sahil expected, and for a brief moment pride blossoms in his chest amongst the muddled feelings of anguish and rage. Sahil’s hands grasps the grieving mother, who struggles to stand on her own, feet faltering to withhold her own body weight. She begins to unravel before him; a mantra of grief spilling from her lips, unrelenting in their assault. It feels as if he has failed her, failed Akua, failed his people for the horrors of tonight.

How could something so horrible sneak from under his nose?

“Leave him. Your chance will come, but today is not the day.” Sahil speaks to Akua, referring to Day who stood not that far. His gaze is unrelenting on the leader, before he departs from her presence with the mother. He knows he cannot bring her son back from the dead, but the words he speak are ones brimming with a promise.

He would rain hell on the Shati for the days to come.

coded by weldherwings.

Neniiyah.

• Her heart beat like thunder in her chest - the blood rushing through her crashing like waves in her ears. Neniiyah dug her nails into the tree bark so tightly she’d be leaving her mark, then she pushed away. This was no time to be neglectful just because of her feelings. This fear was anything but unique right now, and the faces reflecting a twisted expression of uncertainty reminded her that someone had to be strong. A careful arm cradled the shoulders of a woman, a reassuring palm took the hand of a child, and stinging pain coiled around Nen’s throat and squeezed tight. Despite the bright moon - perhaps in spite of the bright moon - tonight was dark for both halves of this island. Two families were missing children. Tiny lives that could have been holding her hand. Could have borrowed her books or fished in their waters.

In the panic, luckily, people were being compliant. The schoolhouse was packed with nervous energy and huddled families. She scanned the crowd briefly, searching for familiar faces before realizing there was at least one missing figure she should have been able to spot right away. The moments - minutes now - that had passed since Rab’s sickening news reached her ears had all been blacked out but now she remembered. ”Shit. Kiki-”.

Nen brushed past a guard on her way out, slowly weaving through people until she hit open air and started running. The hairs on the back of her neck prickled the closer she got to where she just knew the deaths had happened. Clanging of metal and raised voices reached her first. The smell made her stumble, catching on a root and creating a bruise she wouldn’t notice now.

Panting, Neniiyah spilled into the clearing. She tried so hard not to look, but even the stench of blood alone was enough to turn her stomach. She raised a hand to her mouth to hide a quivering chin. “Dayyaan…” There was enough grim sincerity in her voice to allude to her terror at the situation without another word. She wasn’t here to see the bodies. She didn’t rush over to fight back, nor even attempt to intervene in violence. Nen came solely to collect her sensitive, broken friend before he did something rash toward someone who didn’t deserve it. She spotted him on the ground and crossed quickly to him, fingers tingling with the inkling he was about to direct this feral panic upon the medic facing him. Crouching to the ground, her hand went to his shoulder. She turned him toward herself and brought both her hands to his cheeks with a startling slap. “Kiki.” Neniiyah’s voice was quiet but commanding as she forced the connection between their gazes, holding his face in her palms. There was warmth and fear, sorrow and uncertainty in her own. “We’re leaving.”

The shocked man, while larger than her, had become docile enough to drag to his feet in the moment. Nen held his wrist tighter than she intended to hide trembling fingers. Before pulling him away, she turned to Ivy and briefly ducked her head. The wobble of her jaw was a little less hidden the longer she lingered in this death-infested space. “Please, take care of them.” It was quiet but genuine.

With Kiki in tow, Nen made for the school house. She glanced in the direction of Yves with his bloodied knives and scowled subtly, masked by the shadow of the night. Now was not the time to scold him, but hadn’t enough blood already been shed? That went for everyone else who acted first with their weapons and fists rather than minds. Chaos was to come, she could taste it.

coded by weldherwings.

Shati Fisherman
mood
Apathetic and Angry
mentions
Day mentioned. Speaking to Nen and Kiki. sox sox queanbean queanbean boo. boo.
Diego
Diego both loved and hated the days of these celebrations like today. The feast demanded a good haul and while that wasn’t much of an issue, it still wasn’t necessarily something he wanted to spend most of his day doing. He had his own goals to achieve, though the island life was rather nice compared to the tedious leg-breaking and lawlessness he was used to doing back home.

Back home he was close to being king, a huge step up from a fisherman who spent the early morning fishing for the clan.

The engagement ring on a chain around his neck felt heavier with each day, a relic of his early twenties when things were great. When he was still rising and had yet to fall. A pretty blonde woman was his companion and one who he specifically chose and primed to be by his side for the rest of his life.

But that space was empty, just like he was nobody important in this clan.

A smiling face and helpful man who was looking for the love of his life.

Someone who invoked sympathy from ordinary people, and some level of wariness from the rest. He would know because he looked for those signs while weaving the web of lies and truths to garner as much as he could. So yes, he did go out of his way to help the others when their boat needed another hand to help push it out to sea to start their day and did as directed with only teasing words as a response.

Carry his fresh catch to where they are ready to be prepped for the feast. Of course, who could say no to such a charming advisor.

Making sure the boats were put up properly and secured. An easy task to help one of his fellow clansmen in need.

Each new item added to the growing temper that was itching to rear its head.

He was hoping to have time to get some sparring in before the festivities, but alas. The Italian man had no luck, he didn’t even have the time to do his normal rounds of asking around. This time asking for his fiancee by the nickname he remembered her sister calling her by since her full name hadn’t gained much traction.

Diego did his best to wash up, to get rid of the smell of fish but still leave the sea breeze lingering faintly on him. A tall order, but not completely impossible with someone now selling off rudimentary soaps with scents. They did the job though.

Allowing him to fix his hair and clothe himself in a pristine white shirt left mostly open with a pair of dark pants. Another relic from his golden era used now to dress up for what would amount to an awkward, nonformal dinner party with the extended family everyone hated but feigned politeness to because their parents said so. He had been to enough of them to know. So arriving later was of no consequence to him, and in fact, Day would probably have been happy to know that he was just taking his sweet time to get there-

Well, before everything went to hell anyway.

He had come to the party late, walking in long after the children had been sent home, even passing a few on his way there that he gave one of the rare genuine smiles he could muster for them. His first order of business was getting a hold of the liquor available to them all, the cup in his hand as he slowly made his way to the bonfire. Stopped periodically to chat with other Shati's for a moment or two to touch base even if most of their chatter was boring and useless to him at this moment. Maybe later he might capitalize on the wandering eyes of a few wives.

For now he was the faithful man.

A faithful man to a fleeing fiancee who had yet to find despite spending a year here. The elaborate story and the lengths that he has went to look for her was convincing enough to prove that he was indeed looking for a woman he cared a lot about. One may even dare say, loved in his own way and that it was incredibly tragic that despite the close-knit communities of the two rival clans, he hadn't found her.

So you can imagine his surprise when as he found his spot by the fire, that the face that greeted him from the other side of it was one he didn't expect to see.

"Ivannah..."

He mumbled under his breath, barely above a whisper that was drowned out by the blonde woman's laughter and speaking softly to another man whom he had respected mere seconds ago. Now, he found only distaste and the sound of a typhoon in his ears. Howling louder than the scream that shattered the night. All at once, that atmosphere of the festivities was lost for everyone else, and in their flurry of panic, no one noticed him break the cup of liquor in his hand from the sheer force of his grip at the scene playing out before him.

Clenching his jaw shut, he turned on his heel and followed the rush of Shati's, it was best for everyone involved if he kept his distance for now. Or else he would have to pay the consequences later, and Day would make sure he would pay if he made this situation any worse. Though it would be a lie that he didn't stalk from behind the leaving crowds being ushered in the direction of their own clans meeting places, brown eyes watching the form of the medic encroach closer toward the bodies when he huffed through his nose as he tore himself away, making the choice to ease his way up to Nen and Kiki on their way out.

"I wish I could say something to distract you both from this." Diego mused out loud, his voice dripping with a sorrow he didn't feel as intensely as Kiki, but he did hold a sympathy for the younger male's fragile state. "But there are no words when something like this happens." His brown eyes rested on the two after briefly looking back over his shoulder, a somber expression rooting itself on his normally playful features.

"But should either of you need a shoulder..."
The offer was there, genuinely for the most part, as he couldn't act on his rage so he would compartmentalize like always. Put his energy into something more productive, and helping someone as a byproduct of that. Whether it was a metaphorical shoulder, or a physical one, he was there.

coded by natasha.

if i see one more rock flying towards my head...
dayyaan.
“You’d figure they’d have enough sense to not to attack the leader when the lead warrior and guards are present, but alcohol has never been kind to those who are already lacking intelligence.”

Day whipped around at the sound of Yves' cutting tone, just in time to witness the warrior's calloused fist coming into direct contact with some poor chap's jugular. Instantly, Day breathed a sigh of relief, knowing full well that no one would be able to lay a hand on him with Yves on the scene.

"Not sure what else you'd expect from the bottom-of-the-barrel of Shajaran society," he scoffed in return, blazing eyes gazing down at the incapacitated drunken bodies with searing ridicule. "You ought to be surprised if there's even an echo bouncing around in their stupid little rat skulls."

Before they could discuss the situation any further, the woman of the hour arrived, much to Dayyaan's dread. A momentary hush fell over the crowd as Akua broke through, her rage palpable in the humid nighttime air, before the hisses and snarls of her comrades started up once again.

The Shajaran leader was no stranger to Dayyaan, a volatile hurricane on her best days and a calm, unwavering predator on her worst. Much to his discontent, today seemed to be closer to the latter end of the spectrum, her dark, wide eyes locked onto his with pure, unbridled bloodlust in her gaze.

“I’m going to the school house to supervise everything. I’ll see you there. Shout if you need me.”

"Yeah, go,"
Day nodded in agreement, his own gaze unwavering from Akua as he spoke to his fleeing trusty warrior. Before Yves could depart, however, he halted him with a firm hand on his shoulder, leaning in to growl an authoritative, "but watch your back at all times. This doesn't look like the work of a separatist— there's no political motive here. I'm sure of it. We'll probably see more shit like this soon if we're not careful. Oh, and tell Kano to come to my tent later if you see him."

Day clapped his shoulder one last time to send him on his way before turning back to Akua and her posse of ruffians. That brutish warrior Idris, accompanied by the hostile medic Ivannah, the seemingly level-headed advisor Sahil, and Eva-whatever (he didn't quite know what she did for a living, nor did he care to inquire)— Day was not ignorant to the contemptuous way each prominent Shajaran stared him down as though he had singlehandedly orchestrated this entire ordeal like some ruthless puppetmaster with a vendetta.

Once upon a time, perhaps that could very well have been within his means, but he was no longer the disloyal double agent he had been in the FBI. No, he had abandoned that demeanor back in the States along with every last remnant of his previous conniving life. Now, Day had people of his own whose wellbeing relied on his every decision as leader of the clan, and the territory he'd sworn to protect hung in the balance of the very same fragile bond many of forest-dwellers assumed he wished to disintegrate.

Those who knew him well enough, however, understood that he would never implement a hazardous plan that would bring him no benefit, and dismembering a child from each clan on the night of their rainbow flower peace feast would undoubtedly fall under that very scope of work— high risk, no return, would never recommend.

“Murderers! Crawl back to your fucking jungle! Leave us alone!"

The raging cries from an anguished Kiki caught Day's attention from amidst the tension, furrowing his brow as his mind raced at a mile a minute for a way to de-escalate without shedding anymore blood. This kid wasn't helping by any means, and just as he began to stomp over to clamp the fisherman's mouth shut, a frazzled Neniiyah emerged as though summoned by fate.

"Thank fuck," Day grumbled to himself through gritted teeth at the refreshing sight, despite distinctly recalling that he had given her specific orders via Rabies that contrasted her current actions. Regardless, he was grateful she had shown up to collect her rock-hurling friend, a far more peaceful alternative to what would have otherwise transpired had it been left to his discretion.

"Dayyaan..."

"I know,"
he murmured, his usually calm advisor's horror palpable without any further explanation from her quivering lips. "For now, just get everyone indoors and calm them down as much as you can until I get there. Aside from the bullet wound, tell them exactly what we know so rumors don't spread. Nothing more, nothing less. I'll take care of things here as quick as I can."

With most of his people out of harm's way and the crowd rapidly dispersing per Akua's commands, Day was left with the Shajaran leadership, two corpses and their families, and a line of warriors from each side surveying the scene for any drunken stragglers.

To his relief, Akua's crew seemed to have no intention of sticking around much longer upon rounding up their own clansmen, and Day took that as a healthy sign that they had at least another couple of hours before someone declared war on their quaint beach tribe once and for all. Despite the unknown danger, his people were either at home with their families or within his advisor's line of sight for the time being, though he still found it difficult to shrug off any of the ever-increasing weight pressing down on his shoulders. With a heavy sigh and quick headcount of the remaining personnel, the leader got to work sorting out autopsy and funeral arrangments with the deceased Shati girl's grieving father.

—————

Twenty minutes later, once the situation had been diffused for the most part and the bodies had been transported to a safer location in their respective tribes' territory, Dayyaan burst into the school building where his clan's partygoers had assembled under the guidance of Nen, Yves, and Rab.

A hush immediately took over the bewildered ensemble, Day's booted footsteps the only sound resonating around the room as he commanded their attention with his imposing presence. He did not rule them through the power of fear and intimidation like his Shajaran counterpart, nor did he coddle them with love and bribes like a spineless politician. Rather, Day took immense pride in the mutual respect he had for his people, and that they had for him. Doubt, fear, and insecurity were not extinct among their ranks, yet their trust in his abilities far outweighed such negativity even at a time like this.

Dayyaan ran a hand through his disheveled hair to push it out of his face, cleared his throat, and addressed the people with his signature unwavering confidence.

"You must have heard from Nen already, but I'll repeat the situation once more for good measure. During the feast, a Shajaran guard on patrol found two bodies in the woods by the regional prison. A Shajaran boy and a Shati girl... our very own Delilah. I'm sure many of you knew her." He paused at the somber revelation, glancing over at her father with his head in his heads, a popular farmer in the clan who had resolved to join the meeting despite Day's insistence that he take some time to himself. "I will not withhold the facts from you... horrifying though they may be. Delilah was found hanging by her neck from a tree with her eyeballs missing. The Shajara boy was laying on the ground nearby with his arm torn off and a bullet wound in his head. We have no clues regarding the suspect as of yet."

At the unexpected confirmation that a firearm had, indeed, appeared on their island, a chorus of cries and shouts rang from the crowd, though quickly silenced as Day raised a hand to redirect their attention once more.

"Safety is our top priority. Stay indoors, stay in groups, and don't wander around needlessly. I'll be in contact with Akua to determine whether cooperation will be feasible between us." He paused once more, making sure everyone was paying close attention so as to not cause any misunderstandings. "To be perfectly clear, there is no evidence that this was the work of the SFM, or any other political faction for that matter which could benefit from provoking us. In light of this, I ask all of you to refrain from harassing Shajara over this until we can investigate further. We don't need to give them any more reasons to suspect us."

A swell of grumbles began to come forth once again, but the Shati leader cut them off before they could escalate, his words decisive and ever-so-true to the wicked personality they had come to expect from him over the years.

"Now, if they try to pick a fight..."
Day narrowed his eyes, pacing the floor as he met the gaze of every person staring back up at him slowly and deliberately before continuing his train of thought.

"Well, win."
coded by reveriee.

Last edited:

scroll
akua

regional meeting point

her people

Akua paced as she took in the face of all her clan members. She could see the bloodlust in many of their eyes but there was also a sadness. The combination charged the air around, made it thick enough to choke on. The sound of her boots stopped as she stood in front of the crowd. “Koa was found dead today, a bullet hole in his head and his arm torn off. It was not an animal that took his arm. His mother had been given a lock of his hair. Rest assured that this is far from over.” Her words were firm, voice steady.

“War is just on the horizon but we will not, cannot welcome it just yet. We need answers. It is law that no guns be brought on the island. I trust that my people follow this rule…” Akua narrowed her eyes, searching for anything that would prove otherwise. The crowd was silent as Akua spoke. She saw no indication that her people would dare hide such a weapon. Her gaze softened but only for a moment. “We will get to the bottom of this. Koa was a promising young warrior, son, nephew, and friend to many of you.”

“I know that there’s a fire raging inside you all but we will not strike first. Not yet. You are all to stay within our territory and I mean all of you. If you travel to our shared spaces, we do not attack the Shati. They will be expecting it. Whisper amongst yourself, glance their way, let their nerves quake in anticipation. If you are attacked…handle it accordingly. Make sure that there are witnesses, keep your cool. There is much planning to do, we must be unshakable.”

♡coded by uxie♡

Last edited:

yves

The words the leader spoke stuck with Yves the entire walk back to the school house.

Given his former line of work, he already watched his back at all times. People sucked, were unpredictable. Trust nobody. But something about the way it was spoken, especially the “at all times”, sent a chill down his spine. Was he next? Not that he really cared, to be honest, though didn’t want anyone else dying, and definitely not kids. Regardless, it was time to step up security measures. If Day was correct and there was no political movement involved, well, let’s just say he could feel the bile in his stomach threaten to make an appearance. No political movement meant whoever killed these children killed them for sport, for fun, and it made them all the more horrifying and dangerous. Were they going to keep killing kids until they grew bored of the game?

Getting to the school building as soon as possible was now even more dire. Gritting his teeth at the new wave of pain from his ribs, Yves sped up his walk until he arrived and threw open the doors, storming to the front of the room without saying a word. Somehow, Rabies had done a decent job of grouping everyone together and they all finished the job and fell silent when he arrived. He let Nen do the talking and calming, preferring to stand back with his arms folded across his chest and let his eyes wander. They lingered on one particular person, making sure he was okay (or as okay was one could be in this situation), before continuing on.

Then Day began to speak and he felt like he was reliving it all again. Feeling his stomach churning, Yves shut his eyes and took a deep breath to steady himself. It wouldn’t do to vomit all over the floor in the middle of an important meeting. Granted, there was a chance nothing would come up since he hadn’t eaten all day, but dry heaving during this type of meeting was bad. Only when he felt he had everything under control once again and wouldn’t spew his insides everywhere did he open his eyes.

He stayed silent until the speech was finished and then finally spoke. “We will win,” he assured. “Starting tomorrow, I’m going to teach everyone who is able to, and willing to learn, how to properly fight so that way we’ll be prepared for a fight should one arise.” He surveyed the crowd through narrowed eyes, taking a count of those he thought were physically able to fight. Whether they’d be willing was a different story, but at least they could fight if needed.

“As for the other safety concerns,” he paused to look at the rest of the leadership. “I’m thinking of organizing border patrols. Not 24/7 as of yet, but just from nightfall to sunrise,” This time, the pause in his speech wasn’t intentional—he did it to fight down a yawn since yawning right now would not be a good idea. “Groups of four to five will patrol the borders during that time period and will report back with any unusual findings.” Hopefully there wouldn’t be any.

Yves stepped back again once he finished speaking, waiting to hear what Day thought of the idea. He hoped it would be either approved of or denied relatively soon because the pain in his ribs seemed to have doubled over the duration of the meeting and he wasn’t sure how much longer he could stand up here. He also wasn’t sure how much longer he could fight this yawn battle and knew one would slip out soon. Though given the prominent bags under his eyes, it was easy to see just how exhausted he was. If he were to yawn, perhaps it would be forgiven. Anyways, pray for him.

/* ------ credit -- do not remove ------ */

© weldherwings.

Last edited:

eva gonzalez.

• mood

stressed

After corralling the raging sea of Shajaran's to the safe house with Idris' help, Eva did the only thing she knew how to do: get to work. Even on a good day sitting still wasn't an option for Eva, her body couldn't sit still as the concerned voices flooded the meeting room, questions that she didn't have answers to but desperately wanted to.

Though she was no leader like Akua, she worked her way through the room, checking on each Shajaran and offering what little support she could. The engingeer had never been one for words, but she knew that the clan needed some sense of direction until their leader arrived. As much as Eva wanted to, charging into the Shati camp and declaring war wasn't going to solve anything.

Her busy hands kept her face from betraying the concern that wracked her brain. A gun on Firdaus. No one here was smart enough to build a gun from scratch, not even Eva. They weren't any materials here to build it and if there were, they'd need Eva's tool to build it anyways. That meant that someone had snuck a real gun onto the island. She hadn't gotten a good look at the bullet wound, hadn't wanted to, but it would be helpful to know what kind of gun they were dealing with. At least then they could gauge how many rounds of bullets were left.

Akua came in like a raging wind, capturing the attention of everyone gathered in the safe house and sending an eery silence through the room. Her speech sent chills down Eva's arms, her heart constricting as she looked at the fury fueled by loss on each of her clan member's faces. This crime was unforgivable, an the Shajara clan was not of a forgiving nature, but they were not as stupid and reckless as the Shati thought them to be.

They would wait, coiling up to strike like a cobra when the time was right.

“We should use the tunnels to spy on them, so that we know if they're planning to attack.”
Eva suggested, stepping forward to meet Akua's deadly gaze.

"I will create everything we need to prepare for war, but I could use some help."
Eva was a workaholic, but arming the entire clan with weapons, armor, and everything else they would need was going to be a challenge.

exhausted

chloe moriondo

♡coded by uxie♡

kiki

filler

filler

filler

filler

filler

filler

• home (filler tab)

clairo

softly

The slap was a cold bucket of reality over Kiki's head, sorely needed, bitterly received. Nen captured his attention and held it like a tight leash, dragging him to his feet and wrapping a warm hand around his wrist, although Kiki had nothing left, no reason to pull away now. He followed behind her in a daze, forgetting the medic he'd almost lunged at before Nen found him, remembering only twin corpses and the tang of blood and the crushing reminder of the fragility of life.

Was it like that for Mom and Dad? Bare feet thudded dully against dirt and sand as the pair left the scene and headed for the schoolhouse, as if the building would be able to truly protect them from anything. Was there a fight over their bodies? This was worse than any hurricane; timber and locked doors would do nothing to keep out screaming winds or a bullet. Who wept over them, when they were murdered, before I was told? Grief was a reminder that love remained, but what Kiki felt for those children was more like rage.

Who has to die for this to be made right?

But this wasn't Kiki; he was a fisherman, not a soldier. Someone had done his best to teach him how to use a knife but efforts were often proved useless when he couldn't keep himself from staring into a pair of eyes that scorched him to the depths of his soul. He was better suited to providing and loving, not lashing out and starting a fight he couldn't possibly hope to finish. Shame washed hot over Kiki as the roof of the schoolhouse yawned over them.

"M'sorry,"
he murmured, at first to no one but then to Nen, and his feet stopped moving once they were inside, forcing her to stop as well. Dark eyes searched the floorboards for something he could say to excuse his behavior, but there was nothing. He'd let his emotions get the better of him.

That's what always happened.

"Thanks."
A beat of hesitation, and then he pulled her in toward his chest, shaking hands planted against her back in hopes that that the warmth of her body would ease the ache in his heart. Eyes squeezed shut.
"That really... got me."
A shaky breath tumbled out through his lips, a confession of the weakness that plucked at his bones, the shorter woman's presence an anchor to the whirlpool of passions within him. He clutched her tight and trembled for a moment longer, stealing her time in a way that felt selfish. He knew she had things to do. He knew this wasn't the time to allow himself weakness.

But for a man who so often cared for others above himself, he fell hard and fast into despair. It frightened him.

Another deep breath, and he released her from the crushing hug, using the heel of his hand to brush away the tears that threatened to spill over, not caring if it smudged the kohl lining his eyes.
"I'm alright now. I'll find you later, okay?"
And with that, he slipped into the crowds, searching for a quiet place to sit, secretly hoping to catch a glimpse of the man he hadn't seen in three days, hoping he was alright, hoping to steal more of that precious time. His heart lurched every time he glimpse dark locks, but it wasn't him. Where was he?

It wasn't until the meeting started that Kiki finally saw him, a lithe form marching to the front of the hall and taking a position near Day. At the very least, then, he seemed unscathed, although there was a fire burning in those dark eyes that Kiki wasn't sure he'd ever seen. Does he feel just as angry as I did? The thought was nearly comforting. For a moment, it seemed that those eyes landed on him, although from the distance it was hard to tell. Kiki stared back desperately. The voice he found himself craving during those nights when he was alone rang out, gravelly as though it had gone completely unused for those three missing days, sharp with anger and resolve. Kiki's skin prickled with gooseflesh.

But something wasn't quite right. Kiki knew Yves, knew his body like the back of his own hand, and something was wrong. The way he stood, the slight inward curve of his spine, the way he squeezed his eyes shut and clenched his jaw as though biting back a rise of bile—it was unnatural for Yves, a weakness he never allowed himself to show. There was a weight that seemed to drag down his face, an exhaustion that was entirely unlike everything he'd come to expect of the man who had stolen his heart.

It was without hesitation, despite the fact that his heart still hammered in anxiety for the dead children, that Kiki slipped from his seat and crept up the side of the schoolhouse, pressing his figure against the wall and edging closer to the front, to Yves. This was a clan meeting, and he couldn't just walk up there to ask after him. But he couldn't just stand here, either.

Dark eyes, wide with concern, beckoned toward Yves, a hand raising slightly only to fall back to his side once he was certain he caught his attention.

Are you alright? he mouthed silently.

There was a beat of hesitation, and for a moment Kiki thought that perhaps he'd offended Yves, and that Yves thought he'd embarrassed him. But then Yves moved toward him—stuttering, far too slow, with a shakiness that Kiki recognized immediately as old injuries crying in protest. But why? Had he been injured after all? Why was his face so tight with pain? Bodies were packed so tightly in the schoolhouse that Kiki was certain no one would notice him as he took a step forward to meet him, and it must have been fate, for Yves's knees suddenly crumbled, and Kiki shot forward, only just catching him beneath his arms before he fell completely. Strong arms accustomed to supporting Yves had no trouble helping him to his feet, wrapping gingerly around him in the gentlest of hugs as though Yves was a cracked china doll he was terrified of injuring further.

"Careful,"
he gasped, shifting a little closer to the wall where a support jutted out, creating a little corner that he used to prop Yves against, so that Yves could lean back and keep a hold on Kiki's shoulders if he needed to.

"Where..."
Have you been? But now wasn't the time for that.
"What's wrong? You're hurt. Where?"

At the “careful”, Yves looked at Kiki out of the corner of his eye, giving him a look that plainly said "No fucking shit." But the look didn’t last very long, because as soon as he was propped up against the wall, his eyes slipped shut and hands dug into the pockets of his jeans instead of gripping onto Kiki’s shoulders.

“Ribs,”
he rasped in a quiet, pained voice, a voice so unlike the one everyone, including Kiki, was accustomed to.
“Either broken or cracked. At least three…”
He trailed off as if he wanted to say more but didn’t know if he should.
“I blacked out a few nights ago, don’t know how it happened but I woke up the next morning with this.”

It hurt like a motherfucker, anyone could see that. Just like how anyone could see how much the ribs were bothering him, how little sleep he’d gotten, how little he’d eaten the past few days. They were putting him through hell, that much was for sure.

Kiki's heart lurched.
"Oh."
It was a lame response and he realized it.
"Uhh, shit. Okay. And you didn't... tell me?"
His hands traveled up to cup Yves's face, rough palms against the smooth skin of his cheeks, concerned eyes flooding with the need to make him feel better. But he couldn't. Was there anything he could do?

Teeth edged out to chew on a bottom lip.
"You're such a stubborn bastard, you know that?"

♡coded by uxie♡

Users who are viewing this thread

Back