• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Final Argument of Kings

Tempestus

The Petty Kingdoms of Tierra have long bickered over their right to rule these isles. There are perhaps half a dozen great houses with a number of smaller states jockeying for control. Pick from the ones listed or create your own fiefdom, but be prepared to defend it at all costs. For this is a period of tragedy and turmoil, where baneblooded royals seek to end your legitimacy with muskets and cannon. This, dear fellow, is the Final Argument of Kings.

Background: this RP is based on Paul Wang's "A Soldier's Guide to the Infinite Sea". Basically there is a lifeforce called the "Bane" which all living things possess, but only a small percentage of people can actually sense it and use it. They're called banebloods and by law are fit to rule over all the "deathborns" (99.5% of people who lack the banesense). What's so special about it is they manipulate the world around them using seals or scrolls. Things like creating a sword that can cut through steel or heal wounds.

Anyway, let me know what you think about this idea. We would start in the year 450 OIE (Old Imperial Era) and the plot would be about the different kingdoms/duchies/etc. The tech level is late 18th to early 19th century so think gunpowder, coal, and early steam engines. Most travel is done by some kind of animal or by sailboat. I can answer more questions about the lore and setting if this gets any traction.

Thanks for reading!

LORE: Fantasy - Final Argument of Kings - Lore

OOC: Fantasy - Final Argument of Kings - OOC

qNJGJMx.png

Last edited:
So what's the plot? Are we freedom fighters for some Deathborne faction, Banesights trying to carve out our own little niche, or loyal soldiers to an already established faction?

So what's the plot? Are we freedom fighters for some Deathborne faction, Banesights trying to carve out our own little niche, or loyal soldiers to an already established faction?
You would be the current rulers and/or heirs to the country you decide to play. I want to give you guys some liberty in what happens within the world. There can be different cultures and races, but they all have to coalesce with the "Banerights" which is that only banebloods are fit to rule. It is even a crime in a lot of places for a gentleman/woman of the Blood to have a relationship with a deathborn. I will also say this: it is entirely possible to have a baneless heir, in which case a succession crisis will develop.

Concerning military / political leadership (generals, counts, etc.), would these positions be exclusive to Banebloods or available to Deathborns on a limited scale?

Concerning military / political leadership (generals, counts, etc.), would these positions be exclusive to Banebloods or available to Deathborns on a limited scale?
There are a few ways for them to achieve high positions. One would be as spymasters who work behind the scenes. Officially, they're nobody but secretly they whisper in the ruler's ear and influence policy.

Another way would be the military. However, this becomes very difficult because they have to be promoted and purchase their own commissions. Most never make it past lieutenant or captain. A deathborn colonel or general would be unheard of and simply not allowed in most armies.

With the counts and barons it's interesting. I mean you can have a situation where a bastard inherits property and estates, but what would end up happening is the king or whoever would appoint a royal governor over that area. And the "count" has to do whatever the governor says like send taxes, raise troops and such.

Anyway, I'm going to link you guys some fluff for the lore and some ideas on game mechanics. Let me know what you think!

This state building style of RP is intriguing to me! Although I do have some ideas, seeing as how it's the 18th century with muskets and all, I wonder if what you said below here
You would be the current rulers and/or heirs to the country you decide to play. I want to give you guys some liberty in what happens within the world. There can be different cultures and races, but they all have to coalesce with the "Banerights" which is that only banebloods are fit to rule. It is even a crime in a lot of places for a gentleman/woman of the Blood to have a relationship with a deathborn. I will also say this: it is entirely possible to have a baneless heir, in which case a succession crisis will develop.
Regarding "liberty in what happens within the world, different cultures and races", I know you mentioned banerights, but would it be possible that even with a civil war erupting and a social and national revolution occurring weakening the nation as a whole, that these banerights be demolished and the system of royalty/power by blood be removed?
Maybe in an era of swords, spears, bows and shields the banerights would've held, but in an age where muskets and cannons exist which only .5% of the population is a baneblood, I find it too tempting to have a revolution start for the deathborns to take the rights the banebloods kept from them.
I know it's radical, but I think it'd be somewhat exciting to lead a deathborn faction in a board amongst banebloods :D

What do you think?

This state building style of RP is intriguing to me! Although I do have some ideas, seeing as how it's the 18th century with muskets and all, I wonder if what you said below here

Regarding "liberty in what happens within the world, different cultures and races", I know you mentioned banerights, but would it be possible that even with a civil war erupting and a social and national revolution occurring weakening the nation as a whole, that these banerights be demolished and the system of royalty/power by blood be removed?
Maybe in an era of swords, spears, bows and shields the banerights would've held, but in an age where muskets and cannons exist which only .5% of the population is a baneblood, I find it too tempting to have a revolution start for the deathborns to take the rights the banebloods kept from them.
I know it's radical, but I think it'd be somewhat exciting to lead a deathborn faction in a board amongst banebloods :D

What do you think?
One of the things thats kept common folk in check so long is a fear campaign spread by the religious orders. They make it out to be like it's some all powerful force that topples cities.

I think you have a cool idea there. The people leading the revolution would have to start in the shadows and gradually build support for their cause. Otherwise they'll just get dog piled.

One of the things thats kept common folk in check so long is a fear campaign spread by the religious orders. They make it out to be like it's some all powerful force that topples cities.

I think you have a cool idea there. The people leading the revolution would have to start in the shadows and gradually build support for their cause. Otherwise they'll just get dog piled.
I think that would be fun :D Playing a sort of inner-politics game and seeing how it'll affect the world. It's like France's revolution, how that revolution kind of threatened the monarchies of Europe.
If you're fine with that, I'm very happy to join! If not, I'd be fine playing a baneblood-led nation either way, probably something asian cultured :D

Or if you just really like the idea of it being 3 months cause that equals a season then maybe instead of having time pass every week you could extend it to every three weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll have a character sheet up and going in the next few days. In the meantime, we can plan things out in the OOC thread or I can give you all a link to the discord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back