TV & Film Film Tropes and Cliches That Make You Cringe

Well, it’s more that the way you originally put it doesn’t really constitute a trope or cliche, which is why people were a bit confused lol.

You could probably argue that “children in film serve no purpose” but the way you’re phrasing it is an opinion and not an established cliche or trope (the purpose of this thread) which definitely confuses the discussion.

I also personally disagree. Especially with an age limit set at 25. That would cut out a fair number of really talented young adult actors lol. And there are cases where children in film/tv serve a purpose and are well acted. It’s rare, but it’s out there.

I have plenty of children related tropes that I hate though. Particularly where the child “saves the day” in a manner in which no child would ever behave (the new Jurassic World short comes to mind with how the little girl shoots the allosaurus away—as though that would ever happen).

OK realism thing that irks me: completely unrealistic depiction of injuries/medical treatment/recovery time for injuries.

No, you can't get shot, be so badly messed up that they need to resuscitate you, and then get up the next day feeling fine after a night's sleep.
No, you can't get near fatally stabbed, sleep for a day, drink some soup, and be up running around again the following day with no medical treatment at all.
See also: people digging bullets out from their own body and then being fine, and continuing with the action.

GoT totally screwed the pooch with this once the writers ran out of GRRM's material. :/

-The lack of logic, usually in villains and assorted henchmen, in how to execute their plans/the good guy(s)
-Almost all film or TV depictions of romance- it's nearly always unhealthy and exactly what you shouldn't be going for, but impressionable young'uns are spoon-fed this shit from almost as soon as they're old enough to understand (and, unfortunately, emulate) it
-Casting actors/actresses of the wrong age and/or ethnicity for the role. There are talented people out there who match virtually any character you can think of except for fantasy races (and even then). Making the appropriate casting choice is more important than having yet another movie with this or that famous person we've seen a million times.

Here's my list:
- Swords as main battle weapons. Swords are the staple hero weapon for almost any fantasy flick. Your oversized butterknife isn't the best choice to attack a guy wearing full plate, Karen.
- That overexagurated moment when characters realize they're in love.
- Casting the wrong actor/actress for the part. I don't care if they did it because they're famous, because the studio wants to force "diversity" for marketing purposes or any other reason. If you cast someone not fit to play the part you fucked up. And it's not even all about source material. Samuel L. Jackson is a great Nick Fury because he fits the part of a badass leader. In short pick someone who will portray the character as they should be.
- Any horror trope. Because apparently none of these people seem capable of fighting back against a murderer who doesn't seem any fitter than they are.
- In cases of "ghost" horror movies. Apparently basic physics are not applicable.
- the list goes on...

One that happens from time to time that might actually be more common in video games is when a character gets shot with an arrow and they rip the thing out.
DON'T DO THAT. You'll probably take a chunk of flesh with it.

One that happens from time to time that might actually be more common in video games is when a character gets shot with an arrow and they rip the thing out.
DON'T DO THAT. You'll probably take a chunk of flesh with it.

Yeah seriously, don't do that. Really do not. XD

Another thing:
When you see people getting ready to fight wearing a bunch of jewelry, or just earrings in general. Rings can be reasonable. I get that they want them to look cool, but it just doesn't make much sense. If you think for one moment that someone wont try to rip that earring out and a chunk of your ear with it, or pull that long ass necklace and try to jerk you around a bit, you're wrong. In a fantasy setting where the jewelry is enchanted, yeah, go ahead, but my opinion doesn't change as much.

Which brings me to something else:
Dumb armor and the lengthy talking that goes on during a fight where the villain is just rambling on about their ideals instead of, you know, actually trying to kill the hero(s).

Person with no experience doing A Thing™ sucks at doing Thing™. Then person gets an inspirational word of advice from Mentor™ and can magically do the Thing™.

Personally love triangles are okay but they just seem to be a bit too repetitive for me when it comes to romance stories. There always has to be some sort of second love interest instead of just focusing on the main couple that it tends to bug me a lot.

I am so tired of “Rape as Drama”.

It’s always the go-to shock factor trope and it's really sad that people think it's the only way for something dramatic to happen to (mostly) female characters. It does happen to male characters as well, but when it does, it’s rarely taken seriously.

People tend to treat it like it's a fetish or something. I rarely see people actually handle rape recovery very well. I’ve read books where rape and rape threats are thrown around like candy to show how "serious" the conflict is and books where rape is apparently the only thing that can happen to a woman to induce character development. It's lazy writing.

I am so tired of “Rape as Drama”.

It’s always the go-to shock factor trope and it's really sad that people think it's the only way for something dramatic to happen to (mostly) female characters. It does happen to male characters as well, but when it does, it’s rarely taken seriously.

People tend to treat it like it's a fetish or something. I rarely see people actually handle rape recovery very well. I’ve read books where rape and rape threats are thrown around like candy to show how "serious" the conflict is and books where rape is apparently the only thing that can happen to a woman to induce character development. It's lazy writing.

It's why I say if you can literally do anything else, don't do rape. Because it is such a delicate topic and rarely is it treated respectfully.

Like, I have seen it done well only a few times (like in The Kite Runner) but only those few times and there they treated it with all the seriousness it deserved instead of just something to cause drama and make things more "" mature"" and "" dark"".

Seriously, a dark fantasy is not just a dark fantasy because things like rape happen. There is much more to it than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back