• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Fight for Control [closed]

Nyx shook her head, “Not quite, Kylo,” he had been so focused on elements, he seemed to see it here. His teachings were bleeding together. It was good, in a way, “It is only the Force that I have taken control of, and have caused to move slower in that area. It is not the air at all. The air is simply caught in it.”

It was like moving the Force to pull something to a person, or to throw a person back.

No air manipulation involved, except by default.

And she pulled her lightsaber from the field. “Try it.” She told Kylo, removing the field from his study. “I will throw my lightsaber up. You will slow it’s fall. We will continue for a while, until you are able to do so.” Whether he slowed the path of the lightsaber, or warped the area around the lightsaber, was his decision.

“You have practice in slowing the Force already,” she reminded, “and speeding it up,” fire and ice, “You are capable of this.”

~***~

‘Whatever is necessary could mean killing us.’ Reveille didn’t say that. She preferred not to think of it, and would have been happy to retreat to the room before too many thoughts of Kylo caught up with her, and the fear that he would be on the Exigency could truly arise.

Except, she wasn’t allowed that grace.

Valo’s hand caught hers as she turned away, and a spike of panic shot right to her heart, a self-created tension briefly worrying her that she couldn’t move at all. Valo spoke before a reaction she’d regret could happen, and her gaze moved down to his hand. ‘It isn’t the Force. It’s just him. It’s just a hand. You can cut a hand off.’

Not his intentions, of course. Her gaze lifted back up to him as he suggested they get to know each other.

A lifetime ago, she would have suggested they take the conversation to his room under the flimsy guise of not wanting to bother Oola when she returned. He would have agreed.

But her heart was still beating like a hammer in her chest, rather than butterflies.

“Tempting as your offer is, Valo, I’ll have to give you a raincheck.” Assuming they got out of this alive. “But one thing to remember for the future – don’t grab me without my consent again.” She’d hit people for less. “I’m still dealing with what Kylo’s done to me.” And she pulled her hand free, carefully, “And he liked to take away bodily autonomy with the Force.” And it still bothered her to be grabbed, to be held, no matter the intent.

It was still wreaking havoc on her life.

~***~

Armitage did not take a seat at the suggestion of Tanis, but stared them down until one of them offered the information to explain their arrival. It didn’t take too long, and it was Lavinia who spoke. His gaze returned to her, recalling her red dress from before, and wondering briefly if red had always been more natural to her appearance or not.

He wasn’t sure of what she said.

Or what he heard.

He stared for a few moments, expression blank. “What did you say?” He finally asked again, certain he must have heard wrong, somehow.

Kos’tel’lanni repeated, “Reveille is alive. She’s with the Resistance.”

He scoffed. He scoffed, laughed, and shook his head, moving again, back to his table, back to his new war and his new business of righting the wrongs of the galaxy, “You can go.”

“Hux—”

When he lifted his eyes, they were not cold. They were blazing. Angry. He didn’t believe them, or perhaps, he couldn’t believe them. “I have business to tend to, I’m in no mood for your jokes or your lies, and I expected better from all of you.” Even Lavinia. He didn’t need this kind of suffering now, this false hope.

Or perhaps it wasn’t hope at all, if it was true, and his sister was with the Resistance.

Nyx directly manipulated the Force, not the air. The air was just in the way, utilized for the Force. It sounded simple enough, like a concept he would’ve already learned.

Just merely utilized in a different way.

He nodded. He did know of slowing and speeding the Force. Ice and fire. “Yes, I am capable,” he repeated to himself. Once she threw the lightsaber, Kylo would focus on the Force around it and in its path, working and manipulating with it.

The lightsaber slowed down some, but nothing worth bragging about. And he would try again, and again, until there was a noticeable difference in how fast the saber fell to the ground.

~~

Valo knew the mistake he made in grabbing Reveille. He could feel the abrupt tension, a reaction from someone who had been grabbed too many times in various, unpleasant scenarios.

She didn’t slap him though. She didn’t outright yell at him for daring to touch her. She offered a raincheck – one he could see – wasn’t just said to placate him. He gave a toothy grin, allowing the pad of his thumb to skim over the top of his hand as she pulled away.

“Duly noted.” He should’ve known Kylo had done something to her. He probably has inflicted much damage in the First Order; he certainly has done enough elsewhere in the galaxy. Enough to General Organa. To Rey. To Han Solo. “Well when we succeed, then we’ll never have to worry about Kylo doing that every again.”

If they succeeded.

“After which, maybe we can celebrate.” He winked and backed away from the door. “If you need anything before we leave, let me know.” And Valo started to walk away

~~

Armitage’s reaction was expected, but it didn’t make things any easier for them. He outright denied their claims, and demanded for them to leave. Even with the anger blazing in his stare, Lavinia did not back down. She took a step towards him.

“These are not lies,” she hissed. “Reveille Hux is alive and working with the Resistance to take back her ship, the Exigency. And do you want to know why?” It was merely a rhetorical question, and Lavinia continued without waiting for an answer.

“Because Kylo Ren is back in control of the First Order, and this time, he brought help with him.” It was the help that scared them all. Creatures just as powerful as he was, and rumored that some even more so. She had stepped even closer as she sought to persuade him of the truth – the truth she hadn’t wanted them to deliver after they had initially received it.

“If you continue to think of us as only liars, then you will soon see the truth for yourself when you lose all of this.” A sweeping gesture around the office, and all of the notes he had compiled.

Again, and again, Nyx would send her lightsaber up into the air, to let Kylo practice his accuracy and timing, as well as the strength of the slow. He was getting it. It came easier than the Fire, but it was based on knowledge he already had, so it was to be expected.

“There,” Nyx said as she caught her lightsaber once more, “you are getting it. More practice will aid you, but there is little more that catching a lightsaber will help with. People are much larger targets,” he would have to practice with them, of course.

Stormtroopers, or more likely, enemies. There were worlds yet that hadn’t succumbed to the First Order, either before, or after, her arrival. Tarkin and Eriadu, Tepasi, Spira, these remained worlds they could look into targeting next. “You also seem aware of its potential to be more…useful, in certain circumstances, for inspiring fear.”

The Jedi had not used it with that intent, but it was a good lesson, “I hope you will continue to realize this as we go on…all powers of the Force remain useful, no matter what teaching they stem from.”

~***~

Valo offered no pressure to continue, to try and insist he just wanted to talk and get to know her, or anything else that would have been terribly flimsy and annoying. Reveille was quietly grateful for it, glad for her luck in that respect. It wasn’t often hook-ups were courteous. Most wouldn’t have expected it from Sienar.

And she missed him, again.

But she smiled for his declaration that success would mean Kylo never hurt anyone again. It would. Perhaps General Organa wouldn’t like the result, but…Reveille wasn’t capturing Kylo alive. She was certain then that Valo felt the same. If Kylo was on the Exigency, he was dead.

Matja wouldn’t let him pass. Rey might – but Rey was outnumbered.

“We’ll see.” She didn’t roll her eyes at his wink, tempting as it was to just blow it off. She couldn’t make promises. She hadn’t tried with Sienar, either.

She wouldn’t need anything from Valo right then, though. She let him leave, and turned back into the room, and collapsed back onto the bed, covered her eyes with her arm.

She knew it wasn’t healthy to just want to sleep.

She’d deal with it later. Right then, she’d let the time slip by with a nap.

~***~

Armitage didn’t want to believe it. He’d almost rather believe Reveille was dead, over working with the Resistance.

Actually, he would.

But the reasoning became clear – even if it didn’t, at all, explain how she was alive beyond the obvious. ‘She faked it.’ She faked it, she faked it, she faked it! And she hadn’t told him. She hadn’t warned him. She just…faked it.

And then went to the Resistance only after Kylo Ren took over, if Lavinia was to be believed. If any of it was to be believed.

His gaze narrowed on Lavinia, acting in the way that had first brought her the disgust of her superior officers. Perhaps it was warranted in this situation where he didn’t want to listen, but he couldn’t help but think of her briefly as the stubborn Althea again.

Except that was likely more true to who she was – the stubborn part. She was a rebel, after all.

“Not if Reveille and the Resistance handle it, I suppose,” then he wouldn’t lose any of this. He already knew about Kylo returning. That had come from the two cadets who escaped the purge.

Did he seek out Reveille?

He wanted to. He wanted answers. But he had a duty here – and he had to challenge Kylo Ren, or Darth Nyx, rather, for the Order again. Perhaps he could have thrown in with them to help, but then what? When Kylo was dealt with, it’d just be another war, and Reveille would be on the wrong side. “I can’t worry about that now.”

If he focused on the large scale, he’d lose sight of this.

He looked down, his vision already showing his distraction as his eyes watered. Fury and guilt – somehow, someway, he should have known, and stopped Reveille.

Pride welled his chest as Nyx offered her compliments. Kylo grasped the concept better than the others, but only because the techniques bounced off of one another. It was still something he wouldn’t disregard. Nyx had, after all, mentioned that larger objects would be harder to control. Like you?

He hastily shoved the thought away.

“Yes, I am quite away of its potential for fear.” Again, he recalled what Nyx had done. How Kylo had felt in the moment. Slowing movements of the Force would be beneficial in inspiring terror on their enemies. He saw the use in it for forcing information from a petrified victim, eager to regain control of their limbs.

“And you continue to open my mind to the many uses of the Force.” How much more did she have to offer? Though irked from what occurred between them, he still needed her to help him see more of what he had been denied over the years. From Luke. From Snoke.

~~

Valo returned to his quarters to begin preparation for the mission. Activity in the temporary base buzzed in the few hours leading up to Governor Tarkin’s arrival. While only a few would be attempting entry on the Exigency, everyone prepared for a deployment of the fleet at any given moment once the group left for the mission.

Leia alerted Valo of Tarkin’s arrival. He moved from his bed, grabbed his own weapons, and grabbed Reveille’s weapons before he hurried to her quarters.

He was sure Oola was still out somewhere on the base. Reveille should be alone.

It didn’t take him long to reach the door. Valo pressed the buzzer beside the door, and, in case she was still asleep, he spoke through the comm. “Valo here, It’s time to go.”

~~

Lavinia itched to reach her hand up and slap Armitage across the face. “If,” she echoed. “If they handle it. But what if they don’t?” That was the possibility they faced. If they didn’t succeed in bringing down Kylo Ren, then they all suffered.

“If you don’t worry about it now, then you’ll pay for it later.” He would lose everything, again. Everything he had started to build on Taris would be for naught.

“But this is what you do, isn’t it?” She swallowed. Her hands started trembling. “You bury yourself in your work when you’re faced with something you don’t want to deal with under the guise of a great leader.”

She slowly stepped back to Kos’tel’lanni and Tanis. “But that’s not what leaders do. That’s what cowards do.”

Kylo wouldn’t be forgetting his own frustration, his own helplessness, too soon. He wouldn’t forget how he could do little to stand against her wrath. He wouldn’t soon forget her mercy, either, she didn’t expect. The fact she had the power to extend it, or to kill him, would likely remain in his thoughts for a while.

And perhaps, another day, it may frustrate her that Kylo Ren required a teacher for so much. Zeme’lodi’csapla, she had to remind herself, had, as well, for a while.

But then she moved on and tested things on her own based on the theories she had learned. Kylo had many more theories to learn, no doubt, before he was mastering skills he’d never even heard of – but she would help him to get there. By then, she may be old enough and ready to pass on.

That would depend on much, though.

“And I shall continue in that. The Force is not something to be restricted to any particular teaching, or to any particular side.” It belonged to All who could use it, with no restrictions.

~***~

It wasn’t enough sleep.

Reveille was still aware of where she was, and why she was, when she was woken by the comm. She looked at the device on the wall and contemplated shooting it. Pity she didn’t have a blaster. Nonetheless, she rose, and walked to the door, “Understood. Give me a moment,” she spoke through the comm, before returning to her bed.

A dress was hardly proper attire for this, and while she didn’t have a huge variety, she at least had pants and a shirt, albeit the pants flared too much, and the shirt was still too flowy, it was at least better.

She combed her fingers back through her hair to get that in order, and followed a couple of routine hygienic practices to make herself feel like she woke up from sleep rather than a nap, before she stepped out of the room. “Ready.” No she wasn’t, but that didn’t matter. She still felt like she was moving through a dream instead of reality.

She was pretty sure the first blaster bolt to hit her would wake her right up. She should have told Leia that she wanted armor.

~***~

That strange numbness remained with Hux as Lavinia approached, fury incarnate. It washed right over him, as it had on the ship before he left here. It was a wonderful balm to his fury and his own guilt, not directed at Lavinia, but at Reveille. He lifted the back of one hand to wipe at a tear that had spilled from his eye, and then did the same with the other, as she vented her frustrations.

“As if you would know anything about it,” he commented as she turned away, “You have no side, and no alliances. You should go and continue your running, Aburius,” he stated, forcing his voice to stay calm.
Forcing that numb that her rage had inspired to hold. He liked the numb. “I have things to handle here. Unfortunately, I no longer have the luxury of being able to worry about what others can or cannot do. I have Taris, and I will see Taris succeed before I worry about more.”

He could not take on the First Order like this, and the Resistance did not care for Taris. “If that’s all?”

He looked between the three of them.

Kos’tel’lanni swallowed further comment. All she had planned to do was tell Hux, and that was done – so, she nodded, “Yes. That’s all.” At least from her.

“Of course not.” This he knew well. Some of what he learned with Luke proved to be beneficial once he started learning with Snoke. And so he would be open-minded to further techniques from either side.

It’s not as if learning about any particular teaching of the Force would sway his mind more to that side or the other.

“Is there anything else you wanted to discuss?” She may have wanted to further talk about what happened between them the other day. Or future strategies for the First Order to pursue. He still demanded a role in the First Order, even if she was the one to hold the title of Supreme Leader.

~~

Valo waited patiently outside the room, not daring to go in when Reveille said she would be a moment. His fingers fiddled with the satchel that held her weapons. Some believed it would be too risky to give her back her weapons so soon, with Poe being a strong supporter of this thought.

If they were going to trust her with this mission, then they had to trust her with her weapons. Leia had agreed as well, but Valo still felt the pressure should she truly betray them. Don’t make a fool out of me now, Reveille.

He noted her loose attire. She couldn’t have had much to wear, if she had been on the run. “Good. Here’s your weapons back.” He offered her the bag, and once she took it, he would say, “Don’t make me regret this.”

Valo kept the tone light, but the threat remained. He wanted to continue to play nice with her, but if provoked and threatened, he would do his duty to the Resistance.

~~

The regret washed over her. How many times had she seen Armitage in such a state of anger or sorrow that he allowed a tear spilled? Never. She wanted to think that he shed a tear over the entire situation, of what Reveille had done to him, but her words couldn’t have helped anything.

It was too late to take them back though.

And he sought to poke her back. Burn her. Make her feel guilt. In many ways, he was right. She glanced over her shoulder at him, “I guess you don’t know me as well as you think you do.”

Lavinia would continue on her way. Tanis stood in her spot for a moment, threw Armitage a quick look of sympathy before she followed after Lavinia.

Nyx didn’t really have anything in particular to discuss with Kylo Ren, but she thought of a way to humor him all the same, “As you’re aware, we hold most of the Core in our control now,” thanks to the efforts of the First Order prior to their arrival, and their own efforts. “However, some planets remain outside of our grasp. Notably, Spira and Tepasi.”

Tepasi was home to the Tagge family.

Spira was under Tarkin’s direct protection – but so was Tepasi, even if it went unstated. Tagge and Tarkin went way back.

“I have been debating a choice in target, or approach. Tepasi will not fall without a fight, this I know, but Spira may. Tarkin has suggested it is under his protection, but he has no actual authority over the planet. I wanted your thoughts on the matter.”

~***~

Reveille accepted the bag, arching a brow. She hadn’t expected these until she was on the ship, at the earliest. At the latest, when the Exigency was in sight. Still, she didn’t protest it, but she wouldn’t begin strapping her weapons on.

She just looped the strap of the bag over a shoulder. “I want to kill Kylo Ren more than I want to do any harm to your Resistance.” They could count on that much, anyways. Her hatred ran deep.

“Let’s go see the Governor and get the mockery over with.” She should have asked for a hat. She was keenly aware that Tarkin was going to mock her for the hair, like everyone else, “When we get my ship back, I’m getting hair dye again.”

This was ridiculous.

~***~

‘I don’t think I know you at all.’ Armitage didn’t interject with that. He supposed part of the numb that followed was because of that. He was understanding he didn’t know her. He never had. Despite her protests before in her cell, that so much had been true, he didn’t know her.

And so it shouldn’t matter what she thought, or what she said.

He was starting to realize it, at least, though the pain of the entire situation was frustrating. That Reveille was alive, was frustrating, but what could he do? Nothing. Nothing, at least, until this situation on Taris was settled, and he had some capability to consider other actions, and consider what those of Taris may be willing to do next.

There remained the possibility that they would want nothing to do with the galactic situation, and he would have to figure out what to do from there.

Then again, they may not have a choice.

In either case, the past was leaving again. He caught the look from Tanis, but didn’t have a way to respond to it. Kos’tel’lanni shot him something similar, but at least with her he could offer a bit of a glare.

No, she wasn’t forgiven, either.

And soon enough they’d be gone again. He might have to endure them as Tanis and Borran continued to help Taris, but in small doses.

Ah, yes. Spira and Tepasi. Two planets that proved to be difficult from the beginning. He nodded along with her assumptions. Not just for his own goals, but Kylo wished to see the two planets conquered to merely see the reaction on Tarkin’s face.

He had a personal vendetta he wished to see through against that man.

“Even with an unofficial claim, Tarkin will still guard the planet and take offense to those who try to take it from him. I know that his military might isn’t as strong as he may think. There are some weaknesses. If we manage to distract Tarkin while simultaneously reach out to Spira, there could be a chance we could claim it while he’s not looking.”

There was proof enough in his weaknesses when Tarkin previously ordered a retreat against him. Had he rebuilt those numbers? “They may be a possibility that his fleet would be severely outnumbered against us.”

~~

Valo trusted Reveille’s rage. He believed that she truly wanted Kylo dead more than she wanted to snuff the Resistance. It was one thing they shared, that need for Kylo’s corpse. It was one reason why he was so ready to believe she wouldn’t hurt them. Not yet, anyways.

They still had to deal with what would happen after Kylo was gone.

Besides that raincheck.

He snickered. “Or maybe the Governor will agree it’s a good look for you.” The pastel pink was still hard to get used, but it had been amusing. “Maybe you should keep it.”

As he walked, Valo threw Reveille a quick glance all over. “That’s the only part you dyed pink, right?”

~~

They all had left the office, and Tanis hurried to catch up to Lavinia, face scrunched in clear anger.

“Lavinia Aburius!” Tanis hissed. The woman in question stopped in her tracks at the harsh tone of her normally carefree friend. She swallowed a groan and turned around. I know, I want to slap myself too. “I can’t believe-”

A repeated pinging noise sounded from within Tanis’ pocket. Someone wanted to talk to her. With a glare, she held up one finger. “This conversation isn’t over.” One hand reached into her pocket and pulled out the comm. “What is it?”

“We have a bit of a situation.” It was Borran, who sounded less-than-pleased.

Tanis furrowed her brows. “What’s wrong?”

“The authorities. They found the ship and seemed to have realized we’re not exactly where we’re suppose to be.”

Both women swore. Tanis spoke into the comm, “What about you? Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m okay. I was right outside the ship, buying some fruit, when they came, so I managed to escape just in time. Where are you guys?”

She gave him their location, and Borran promised he would be there as soon as he could. After the comm ended, she and Lavinia exchanged a glance. Tanis sighed, “Well, I guess we’re stuck here a bit long.”

Nyx hardly needed Kylo to elaborate on how Tarkin would respond. This, she knew. He would move in to protect Spira or Tepasi, immediately. And he was capable. Perhaps they outnumbered him, but he had been smart enough to equip someone with a weapon that hindered the Force. She wouldn’t doubt he’d have other tricks up his sleeve.

“How would you propose distracting him?” Nyx could at least see what Kylo considered for it. He seemed to be of the mind that Spira ought to come first, which she was in agreement with.

Spira would fall easier than Tepasi.

“He would not be outnumbered by our last count, though this is including his Resistance allies,” who were also, notably, rebuilding. Tarkin had done quite a bit of rebuilding since his last loss.

~***~

Reveille was fairly certain she would prefer that Tarkin mocked her hair than liked it. She had been attached to her red hair. Perhaps more than she ought to be, but still, she liked it. So she just scoffed and rolled her eyes at the consideration of keeping it. ‘In your dreams.’

His further comment caused both of her brows to raise, though, a hot flush coming into her cheeks at the audacity, rather than the curiosity, itself. “If we weren’t on a rebel base, I would hit you.” But they were on a rebel base, and she got the sense he might not mind terribly. “For now I’ll just be satisfied with not answering that question.”

Of course she hadn’t dyed anywhere else, but Valo could at least suffer with wondering.

And be glad they made it to the hangar where Governor Tarkin was waiting, leaning against his ship. He spotted the pair of them.

His surprised look at Reveille turned to laughter, though it was calmed quickly as he shook his head, “This day keeps getting better,” he commented.

Reveille just hoped her face wasn’t as inflamed as it felt.

~***~

Kos’tel’lanni did not jog to catch up with either of them, but stayed back, and paused some feet away as it looked like Tanis was about to dig into Lavinia. She didn’t get far with that, and Kos’tel’lanni stepped closer to observe the transmission that came through from Borran.

Their ship was lost.

And they’d practically burned the bridge that was here.

Kos’tel’lanni bit her bottom lip, before daring to ask, “Do you think we actually can stay here?” The question was more to Tanis than Lavinia. Hux had seized control of the area, and it was unlikely he wanted them to remain after that rather terrible confrontation.

“Maybe a skirmish somewhere far from Spira,” Kylo considered. Use up some of Tarkin’s forces, but that also brought the potential for First Order loss. If it could result in their gaining Spira, would it be worth it?

They also had to consider the Resistance. “It depends on if the Resistance would be willing to engage in a seemingly insignificant skirmish built of petty rivalry.” They were still rebuilding. They would be less likely to sacrifice troops for a needless cause.

“I admit, it would be a risk, but if it pays off, we would have a significant advantage over him.” And a one greatly pissed-off Governor, with access to at least two Force-hindering weapons. Tarkin wouldn’t be so stupid to give Schaeffer his only one.

Speaking of which, “What has been done with that piece of tech Schaeffer wore?”

~~

Valo could only shoot her a cheeky grin at the reaction. It was amusing, and almost endearing, to see how easily her cheeks flushed so red. “Only if you want to move up that rain check.” He didn’t hesitate to bite back, hoping to see more of that flush.

Or how far it could spread down her neck.

He opted for silence for the rest of the way to the hangar. His banter with her would only last so long before she ultimately decided to shoot him out of sheer annoyance.

In the hangar, Tarkin’s reaction didn’t surprise Valos. The man reacted in the way he expected, based on what little he knew of him. Mostly rumors, plus their conference a few hours ago.

And Reveille continued to be embarrassed over her hairy situation. He almost felt bad for her. Almost.

Not even a second later, Rey entered the hangar from another hanger, lightsaber clipped on one side, and a blaster on her other.

~~

Tanis looked over at Kos’tel’lanni as she asked what she had already been thinking. A few may not like the decision, but it would be the simplest, safest, and cheapest option for them on Taris. “I don’t think we have much of a choice.”

She shot Lavinia a glare, who turned her head away as embarrassment from realization flamed her cheeks. “Many in the Lowercity know Borran and myself. If word gets out that he turned us away when we needed some help, they may be quick to invalidate his attempt to help them. After all, why would he help them, if they didn’t help us?”

Tanis sighed, and strolled back over to where the guards stood in front of Armitage’s office. They did not look amuse to see them back so soon. “We need to speak to Hux, again. There’s been an emergency.”

Lavinia glanced at her friend, who had actually managed to push aside her own pride to help them. Her hands grasped onto her upper-arms in a self-hug. She muttered to Kos’tel’lanni, “It’ll be my fault if he says no.”

First Order loss was not something that Nyx wanted to go forward with, when the idea of capturing Spira and limiting the blood loss of such a thing was higher priority. If there had to be blood, then she’d consider it, but before then? Hardly.

That Kylo also considered the Resistance wouldn’t support an ally against a common foe was an interesting note, and not one she took seriously. It was more likely Tarkin wouldn’t inform them and try it on his own, first. If he mentioned it, he might get Resistance support.

“Spira, unfortunately, is not an advantage over him,” she noted, “it offers little in the way of position or weapons.” It was demoralizing, yes, but not worth losing much over. Not like Tepasi. “He would protect it for the sake of his allies, but he does not have any that permanently reside there. We want Spira – but not at a great cost.”

As for the item Schaeffer had, Nyx answered simply, “It was destroyed.” Just like what Ismael had. Perhaps there was benefit to researching it, but she felt it better that information be lost entirely.

~***~

At least Reveille had it confirmed that Valo would enjoy getting slapped. It didn’t help much with her flush, just as Tarkin didn’t, but at least Rey arrived, and some semblance of normality was already returning to Tarkin.

Matja gestured them forward. “I have the items in my ship,” he noted, already walking to the ramp, “Let’s get on our way to Lothal.” He didn’t want to waste any time, “Reveille, you’ll take the co-pilot’s seat.”

For one, she had piloting skills.

Two, he needed her for the clearance codes.

Reveille did follow to the cockpit, and slid into the copilot’s seat. It was there she started to take her weapons out and equip them, before she was offered a bracelet. “Hm?”

“The Void project. It’s a bracelet. It doesn’t work unless you wear it.” His was hidden under a sleeve. Reveille took it, and Tarkin offered the other one up to Valo.

~***~

Kos’tel’lanni did wonder how much Armitage was going to let opinion dictate his actions – both his likely dislike of herself and Lavinia, as well as the popular support of Borran and Tanis. Kos’tel’lanni certainly hoped they would find some aid here, and it was realistic to expect it after what Borran and Tanis did for Taris – but she still worried.

And she didn’t soften Lavinia’s guilt, “You’re right.” Lavinia had no reason to go on a tangent with Hux. Kos’tel’lanni still wasn’t sure what she had been trying to do – get Hux to leave on a mad quest to find his sister?

Kos’tel’lanni wasn’t even doing that.

“But hopefully he’s aware of the situation with Tanis and Borran.”

There wouldn’t be any sentiment spared for them, and the guards apparently weren’t enthused to be disturbing Hux again. “Hux, the group you just saw wants to see you again. They say it’s an emergency.”

“Find out what the emergency is,” was the curt response from the comm this time, and the guard looked to Tanis expectantly.

Spira doesn’t provide much for Tarkin, a fact that may be beneficial for them. If it offered Tarkin nothing, then why would he attempt to defend the planet? Risk losing ships to save his pride?

“We may not have a great loss if Spira is truly not of great use to him, besides simple alliances. He’s a Tarkin, he has alliances through other planets.” His name helped to give him that.

To the news of the object being destroyed, he nodded. “Good. We should be prepared of the potential for more of them to exist.” And hopefully they wouldn’t have to deal with that for some time, Kylo mentally added.

Although he would have liked to look more into the tech that was used, and how it was even possible. That way, they could be better prepared for next time.

~~

Valo took the bracelet and secured it onto his wrist, as he sat in a seat behind the cockpit. Now he would be protected against any Force use on him, including Kylo Ren’s abilities. It wouldn’t protect him against the lightsaber, but now they fared a better chance.

Rey glanced at the items, more curious about them than anything. They weren’t her enemies. She would have no need to defend herself against them.

But she did inquire, “How do they work?” How was it possible to stop the Force? She sat in a seat near Valo, and she glanced at the object in question around Valos’ wrist.

~~

Lavinia hadn’t expected Kos’tel’lanni to soften the blow. In fact, she would’ve been disappointed had the Chiss done just that.

Would it be too much to ask for a long vacation from her thoughts and the entire galaxy?

Tanis huffed and muttered under her breath about the ridiculousness of the situation. She straightened as she cleared her throat, “Our ship was just taken by Taris authorities, and we need a place to lay low until we get things fixed.”

The guard shifted uncomfortably and relayed the information to Hux.

‘Because many of his allies are invested in Spira itself.’ The world was not their home, but nonetheless, it was where many went to do business. It would be removing a not-quite neutral hosting ground from them. “He responded to Lothal, did he not?” Nyx reminded. Lothal was lost to him, but he had responded by taking advantage of a weak-point in the Order.

He would do so again, and that was the problem with spreading their forces thin, or attempting a diversion. “Governor Tarkin seems to prefer talking, in general. How would you feel about simply arranging a few meetings with the heads of Spira, and luring Governor Tarkin into a trap? I am certain that eventually, he would wish to join one of the meetings.”

And under different leadership, he may imagine different possibilities.

Then the only blood spilled would be his – well, in theory. She’d give Matja his due, he may very well be capable of killing a nightsister with his trinkets.

~***~

Matja could only shake his head at the inquiry, “I do not know how they work, I’m afraid. I have a team of researchers and engineers looking into it, but unfortunately the inventor of these has gone missing, with all his notes destroyed.” He knew some vague theory on it involving death and meteorites, but he hadn’t a clue how they came together.

Such things were not his forte. He had people for that, and eventually, his people would crack it.

They hadn’t yet.

“He’s probably dead.”

“If they’re smart, he’s dead,” Matja concurred. He had questions on Kylo’s intelligence, but he didn’t quite doubt the one in charge of it all.

~***~

Armitage, within the room, pressed the heel of his hand to his forehead. He didn’t want them staying here. He found he did not mind Borran and Tanis; their reputation was known throughout Taris in the Lowercity, but Kos’tel’lanni and Lavinia he minded. However, he knew he couldn’t act against those two, without acting against Tanis and Borran.

And he knew what that would do.

So, with a sigh, he pressed the button to speak again, “Have them stay there; I’ll have a guard escort them to barracks where they can settle for a bit while finding a way off planet.”

He didn’t need to handle this himself, nothing could make him do that, and so once he clicked off the comm, he opened his datapad to request a guard meet outside his office to escort four people to the barracks and find them space.

Tarkin had responded to Lothal. In a battle that still remained bitter to Kylo, as he exploited Kylo’s weak leadership and paranoia. He wouldn’t be satisfied until he saw that man dead.

He considered Nyx’s suggestion. It was one that he normally wouldn’t have considered, as it required more patience than he typically held, but if they could talk to the heads of Spira, he could slowly began to weave their way into the planet, and soon lure Tarkin into a trap.

So Kylo nodded. “You’re right. I feel his curiosity would force him to want to attend one of these meetings, if they prove effective.” And he hoped that Tarkin still didn’t have that blasted Force-hindering tech, but after the scientist was kidnapped and lab subsequently destroyed, he imagined he kept the bracelet under tight security.

“Shall we try and arrange a meeting as soon as possible?” And get their plan in motion, before Tarkin could launch his own attack.

~~

Rey frowned, and leaned back in her seat. She still had her reservations over helping someone of the First Order get on a First Order ship. What if they were to gain more access to these types of technology after they defeated Kylo Ren? That would complicate matters significantly with her involvement.

“Something tells me they’re not the type to keep people who make these kind of things alive,” Valo muttered. The bracelet he wore threatened their very existence, and while Rey didn’t seem bothered by their presence, Kylo would allow his fear to kill anyone who touched one.

But Valo’s statement led Rey to her next question, “What do we know about who is helping Kylo?” Since apparently it was someone outside of the First Order, and she hadn’t heard much else about them.

~~

As the order was relayed to them, Tanis sighed. She figured Armitage would understand the ramifications of denying her and Borran help during his time of rallying the people.

Neither she nor Lavinia believed that he would’ve escorted them to their temporary shelter. Even if Lavinia hadn’t yelled at him, he was still angry enough at her and Kos’tel’lanni to simply throw them on the streets.

They would wait there for Borran to arrive before allowing the guard to escort them to the barracks. It took him another few minutes to finally arrive, escorted by a guard from outside, and appeared unscathed.

Tanis walked up to him, one finger lightly poking him in the chest. “You’re lucky they didn’t see you.”

He brushed her hand aside and enveloped her in a quick hug. “But the important thing is that they didn’t. Now we have other things to worry about.”

Kylo bent so easily to the suggestion of meetings and leading into a trap for Tarkin. His mind worked, just not so well on its own. It was likely an idea he’d never stumble upon, never one for diplomacy, or tricks. He was too straightforward for all that. Too certain of his strength.

It was why he failed.

Nyx shook her head, “Not that soon,” as soon as possible would be immediately, “We are still in the beginnings of overseeing and managing all that we have acquired, and I would not be so hasty as to lose everything in an instant by focusing too quickly on a new project. However, you can aid by considering who in Spira we should approach. I am certain you can locate the names and research them, a bit.”

A tedious task, perhaps, but if he was to be groomed for leadership – or believe that he was to be groomed for it – he would have to learn these skills.

Nyx would do the work herself, as well, to make sure Kylo hadn’t missed anything, or anyone, in all of it.

~***~

A look passed between Matja and Reveille at Rey’s question. They had both been invested in the situation with Kylo Ren, and some information had been shared.

Reveille deferred with a gesture, and Matja elaborated, “Darth Nyx, a nightsister, and former apprentice of Darth Vader, is who is at the head of this operation. Except the nightsisters have changed and now welcome those from beyond Dathomir. Nyx herself is powerful from rumor, though I haven’t seen much.”

He hadn’t met her. He had little desire to do so unless he was certain it would kill her. “But I concur. Anyone who uses these, perhaps even those who simply know of them, are at risk. Project Void was started a long time ago to make sure someone like the Emperor wouldn’t rise up again.”

“And funded by myself to remove Snoke,” which she was still bitter over, “If I had known you were involved….”

“Your contributions are still more than welcome,” Matja grinned. “Perhaps I’ll even let you keep that; I imagine you have a host of engineers available on the Exigency who could aid.”

“Maybe.” She was tempted to reach out to those who had never joined, check in on the Krennic family. They had been geniuses, in their ways, learning how to manipulate kyber without the Force. Perhaps they’d strike upon something – unless Orson was the only genius that family had.

~***~

Kos’tel’lanni smiled as she saw Borran return to them, before she gave a nod to their guard – the reunion of him and Tanis allowed them to move on to barracks. Kos’tel’lanni was, once again, out of clothes, out of place, and irritated by it. Yet, she was growing used to this, and she took off her sunglasses, no longer so concerned with appearing to be Pantoran.

The guard gave a double-take, but decided not to question it.

“I do not suppose we could simply buy a ship from Hux and be on our way, could we?” She did not know if they had just lost all their credits with the ship, as well. It seemed the best idea. She wouldn’t suggest stealing from Hux.

Of course, she wasn’t even sure if Hux had any ships. It seemed impossible to her that he wouldn’t, but then again, his project here had only begun. Perhaps he hadn’t had time to raid a starship factory or a hangar bay just yet.

The guard clarified that, “I’m afraid, miss, we do not have much beyond a few bombers and single-fighter pilots.”

Kos’tel’lanni sighed.

None of those were going to help them.

Kylo wanted to start now. His hands itched for action, but Nyx was right. There were other tasks to be done before they considered something like taking Spira from Tarkin while his back was turned.

That didn’t mean he wanted to do something as tiresome as research who on Spira they could contact first. Normally he would assign that to someone else, but in reclaiming the First Order, it would be hard to trust anyone aside from a Nightsister.

Of course, he could command an officer under penalty of death, but that didn’t make much room for loyalty.

He didn’t have much room for argument, as the phantom pain of the fire whip still stung on his chest. “Of course.” But none of their discussions negated the prickling sensation in the back of his mind. Something big was going to happen soon, that he knew.

So he had to ask, “Do you still feel it?”

~~

Rey’s eyebrows shot up at the utterance of Darth Vader’s name. Even Valo looked a bit surprise at the given information. Everyone knew of Kylo’s obsession with Darth Vader, and now he finally had someone close to him who had trained under the Sith Lord.

That could be dangerous for all of them, if she taught Kylo what she had learned under Darth Vader.

“An apprentice of Darth Vader is sure to be powerful,” Rey murmured. She lightly chewed on her lip, considering their possibilities.

Valo noted Reveille’s desire to remove Snoke. He seemed to learn more about her with every passing minute, which in turn dispelled some beliefs he held about the First Order. Not that it changed anything in the long run, but it certainly held...interesting connotations.

“If you place one of these things,” he raised his wrist to nod at the device, “on a Force sensitive, would it completely negate their power until it was removed?”

At the question, Rey looked from Valo to Matja. If he didn’t know the answer, she would be willing to experiment for the answer, with Valo there. If it had been just her with Reveille and Matja, she wouldn’t dare risk it.

Even if they fought the same enemy.

~~

“Of course things couldn’t be that simple,” Lavinia muttered. They would be forced to stay with Armitage for an unforeseen amount of time, and she didn’t imagine he was thrilled about the idea either.

But in the meantime, they could help him out with Taris. Lavinia, Borran, and Tanis knew the planet well, and Kos’tel’lanni had a brilliant mind for strategies. If accepting, or at least accepting of anything Tanis and Borran had to offer, it could be a way for them to repay Armitage.

“We’ve been in worse positions, and we’ve always managed to get out. No reason why we can’t do it again.” While Tanis spoke, she already had ideas flipping through her mind. She wanted their ship back, and she would find a way to get it. “But don’t think I’m still not mad at you.”

She had turned to poke Lavinia in the arm, who only threw her arms up in surrender. Borran looked between the two. “I take it you decided to speak before thinking?”

Before Lavinia could answer, Tanis did it for her, “Of course she did. To the one person she shouldn’t insult on any level right now.” She threw Lavinia a look, and she looked away with guilt.

All the while, the guard led them to the barracks, where they could attempt to plan out how to get their damned ship back.

Nyx could only nod to Kylo’s inquiry. Yes, she still felt it, “It may continue for days, or weeks. It is uncertain what it is, however…,” she found herself trailing as the doors opened, and Discord stepped in, her eyes wide.

The answer was here, then.

“Nyx,” she sounded breathless, as if she’d run, “It’s the Exigency. Reveille – her crew – she’s taking back the Exigency!”

That was what she had seen. That was the terrible feeling. “With Tarkin – the Resistance -- another Force user -- our sisters – they are going to die!”

~***~

“Of course it would,” Matja laughed, “Honestly, I’d be surprised if Rey can even feel the Force from where she’s standing. There’s about a five foot radius around the wearer that negates the Force in that area,” he answered. He’d done plenty of experiments with them, while he could. “But a Force user would just take them off.”

So there was no point to such a thing, not presently.

“Coming out of lightspeed in 3, 2…,” and they came out, above Lothal, before the Exigency. “You’re on, Reveille.”

Reveille took a breath, and leaned forward to the controls, pushing out a signal that she knew some on the Exigency would recognize.

She counted down.

And a familiar voice answered – Colonel Garmuth, “This is Colonel Garmuth of the First Order,” he wouldn’t see any ship, but he’d received the signal. Good. “Receiving signal on protected channel Alpha Sigma 6-7-9-3.”

Reveille didn’t bother with a name, she simply spilled the access code she had memorized, and a demand: open hangar 7.

There was a pause.

“Hangar 7 is open, Grand Marshall.”

Reveille smirked, and cut the signal off, as Matja took the controls once more to go towards hangar 7.

~***~

Kos’tel’lanni just shook her head, to add on to Tanis’s statement about Lavinia keeping her mouth shut. She hadn’t, at all. She’d insulted Armitage right after he got the news of his sister. They were lucky that Borran and Tanis had such a reputation, because she knew Armitage wasn’t happy, and didn’t want to work with her.

He wouldn’t want to work with Lavinia, either.

At least that could mean he’d want to get them out of there, as soon as possible. “He’ll at least want us gone just as soon as we want to be gone,” Kos’tel’lanni informed Borran, as they came to the barracks. The doors opened before them, revealing others in the area, mostly relaxing or settling in. They glanced to them, but little else was done.

The unoccupied locations were obvious, sheets and bedding neatly folded, and the trunks thrown open, rather than locked shut.

Kos’tel’lanni moved to claim one of them.

When Discord interrupted their conversation with her entrance, Kylo knew something had happened. Something related to what they had all been feeling.

And she was quick to provide them the answer for what they were unknowingly waiting for.

Kylo’s eyes widened. Reveille. The Scavenger. He growled in his anger. How dare they attempt to take this from him and harm the Nightsisters.

Wait...”Thenn,” he whispered. His gaze shot to Nyx with growing concern. “We need to head to the Exigency now!” If she denied him this, he would still go. He would not stand idly by while he allowed a star destroyer to be taken from him. While Thenn remained helpless and alone.

~~

Matja was right. The Force felt weak around her, and even weaker when she attempted to reach out to any of the three people near her. She was still new to learning about the Force, so she didn’t know what could stop it, but she still wanted to know how this technology was possible.

“Not unless we can find a way to lock it on...” Valo trailed off. It could be possible. Incorporate them into binders?

Both Rey and Valo turned their attention on Reveille once Matja announced they were out of lightspeed. Colonel Garmuth’s voice sounded over the comm. They both tensed.

Reveille’s titled was spoken, as well as access to the hangar. Both immediately relaxed that the plan had worked, but now they faced another issue: navigating the Exigency and for any retaliation from Kylo’s crew. “Easy peasy,” Valo mumbled with clear sarcasm.

~~

The group moved to claim beds near one another and set to make up their respective beds. A few minutes of quiet except for the rustling of bed sheets, until Tanis spoke up. “You know, many people still wonder about you. Wonder what happened to you, and if you will be back.”

Lavinia glanced up from the sheets. “And what do you tell them.”

“That you left to seek out more help for them. Something that may prove more effective at helping them. Still doesn’t stop them from asking every time we see them.”

She bit her lip. She returned to finishing her bed, but listened to Tanis as she spoke.

And she still wanted to help Taris. She had thought the Resistance would help them and other planets like Taris in the long-run, then she thought the First Order would do that.

Now she didn’t know what to believe, except to return to what she was doing with Tanis and Borran before the Resistance.

Fuck, I will have to apologize, won’t I?

And she would, later. Later she would try and find him, and if he would allow her to talk to him again, she would do so. Whether or not he accepted the apology is another matter.

Nyx didn’t need Kylo to whisper that name to know where his thoughts had gone. Admittedly, even her own thoughts had gone there. If she lost Thenn, she may lose the entirety of the Th’er. Of course, she’d attempt to spin it, to blame anyone else, but Thenn remained a potent figure in her plots for claiming dominion over all things.

But, if it had to be, it had to be.

Discord was already shaking her head, “It’s about to happen,” she hadn’t seen that far ahead, “We won’t make it in time, but maybe we can warn them to leave.”

Nyx wondered if they’d even have time for that, but she gave a nod of consent, “Go ahead and call out to them,” Nyx ordered, “We’ll hold our position here.” There would be no running to assist. If Discord said it was too late for that, it was too late.

~***~

Matja’s grin was feline, “The next part is the easy part,” fighting was always the easy part for him, even if so few realized it about him. Reveille shared in the sentiment, though perhaps just because she wanted violence.

There was probably a connection between gingers with blue eyes, but she wasn’t going to theorize on a common bloodlust right then.

Besides, her hair was pink, and she had to deal with her entire crew seeing that. Thankfully, the focus of battle was already taking over as they entered the hangar, and she rose, “I’ll step out first,” she may not quite look like herself, but a few seconds and a look at her face was all it would take to confirm who she was.

The ramp lowered, and Reveille touched the pad at the door to open it, to step out into a hangar that wasn’t expecting anyone. The tension in the air was palpable as she set foot on the hangar floor, officers and troopers alike staring, before one burst out, “REVEILLE!”

The familiar voice of Rani reached her, with just enough time for Reveille to brace before she found arms thrown around her. She was nearly knocked back, but she had braced.

And then the panic stole over her again, and she shoved Rani away from her.

Rani stumbled back, looking immediately hurt by the action, before anger stole over her. “WHAT THE FUCK?!” Matja stepped out next, slightly amused by the fury of the blue twi’lek, but his gaze was looking for any sign of the nightsisters.

Not there yet.

Soon.

~***~

Armitage was less than pleased with the situation, and the news, for the remainder of his evening. His focus was lost, flicking between the fact his sister was alive, and that Lavinia was there. He couldn’t reconcile the first one with what he knew about Reveille, even if he had learned how far down her hatred went for Kylo Ren.

That she hated Kylo Ren, more than she loved her brother, was what bothered him – for that had to be the truth based on her actions, and he held it bitterly in his heart.

He would see her, one day, perhaps.

Not soon.

And then Lavinia was there, yet another disappointment in the string of disappointments in his life. With nowhere to go, she had come here, as well. Stuck here. They needed a ship. He needed them out of there. He’d already been looking at attacking a hangar to acquire ships so they could do bombing runs; he might just have to move that up.

Right now, however, he knew no further work was going to get done, and so with a sigh he pushed away from his table, his strategies, and decided to take a walk to clear his head.

He still missed the still, sanitized air, of the airships.

He missed his damned nutritional bars.

He missed everything, even his hairspray, but he was making do with it.

At least a walk would let him see how well the guards were learning their rotations, and how focused they were remaining on it.

In the time he spent with Discord, Kylo had come to trust her foresight ability. If she said it would be too late to go to them, then he believed that. But he still believed they can warn their Nightsisters in time.

But if they didn’t get out of there in time…

“What if our message doesn’t reach them in time for their evacuation?” His eyes burned with fury at the thought of any harm befalling Thenn. If they were to fail to leave in time, he would go there himself, regardless of what Nyx commands.

Despite what the Force cruelly reminded him, he wouldn’t hesitate to strike down Reveille if she so much touched a hair on Thenn’s head. He knew Rey wouldn’t harm the child, but he also look forward to facing her again.

This time, he wouldn’t lose.

~~

Valo and Rey shared a look of unease between them at Matja’s seeming excitement for the upcoming fight. It should have been expected with someone that held the Tarkin name. Or maybe it was typical of anyone who came from Eriadu.

They turned back to Reveille and watched as she descended the ramp and stepped foot on the hangar. With bated breath, they waited for the next sign of movement from the First Order. Then, an excited screech, followed by a yell of anger from the same voice.

Matja stepped out. “I’ll go next, just in case,” Rey said, her hand lingering near her lightsaber. They both still held the same fear of being double-crossed, though Valo knew Rey would be more beneficial for them, as she could actually get near Kylo without dying.

Valo took a deep breath, and followed behind Rey. No blaster shots yet, but neither let their guards down yet.

~~

Lavinia and Tanis engaged in a quieted, heated discussion in the corner of the barracks. Tanis did most of the talking, by which she proceeded to hiss at Lavinia for how idiotic and callous she’s been, despite what happened.

Everyone was going through a shit time, a fact Tanis finally drilled into Lavinia’s head. Which meant the latter flooded with guilt that ate at her for the rest of the day.

As everyone else went to dinner, Lavinia didn’t have the appetite the follow them, but neither did she wish to stay in the barracks. So while everyone else was gone, she decided to take a walk in Taris’ crisp, clean air to clear her mind some.

But the air had a way of suffocating her with its pollution, which it naturally settled the heaviest in the Lowercity, while the elite enjoyed better air quality high in the skyscrapers.

A familiar world to her, with how Coruscant operated.

She turned a corner and spotted Armitage, outside of his office. Her heart skipped a beat, most likely due to her fear of what he would say or do (or rather, what he won’t do, which scared her most of all), and she paused. “Um, hi.”

Kylo’s concern was on full display, but Nyx could only shake her head lightly, “Then we lose them, Kylo.” That was the truth. What else was there to say on the matter. Discord had already left them to try and get the message out. “We are at war, and you know how cruel our enemies are.”

She did still need him to hate them.

And if Thenn died? Perhaps that would be a good thing, in that department. It was not Nyx’s own wish; she would rather that Thenn live, “It is out of our hands now.” That much was the truth, “There is nothing that either of us can do for them at this time. We have to hope that Discord’s message arrives in time, and if it does not, we continue on, as ever.”

If it did, they continued on.

This was only one minor concern.

~***~

Rani’s rant continued, “We thought you were DEAD, Reveille! You just left us, and then your brother was kidnapped, and Schaeffer—he—he was already—and I—Kylo Ren is BACK,” her fists clenched at either side, “and now you’re alive and you just—”

There was an interruption, not with words, but steps that drew the eyes of plenty in the room. “So this is why the hangar was opened,” a woman said, dressed in a black duster. She was human – the only human among them, as four zabrak men followed behind her, a child walked near her, and another woman of togrutan species followed. The two women had lightsabers.

The zabrak didn’t. “Colonel Garmuth will suffer dearly for this,” the human noted, sounding frustrated, “He likely helped the cadets as well….”

“Who are they?” The child asked, looking at the arrivals, “I like the pink hair.”

Reveille wasn’t sure how to feel about that, but the nightsister answered, “Traitors. Reveille Hux, Matja Tarkin, and…others.”

“Rey, Valo,” Matja introduced in a bored tone. “I’d ask your names, but I honestly don’t—”

“I’m Thenn! I’ve heard of you, Govner! Nyx says you really, really hate the Force.”

There was an awkward silence following her statement, and she realized, after she said it, “Oh.” He meant them harm. They all did.

“Oh,” he echoed with a cruel smirk, but as he said it, as he moved forward, Reveille was already a step ahead of him. He still followed as lightsabers illuminated, and the togrutan Nightsister tried to order the ship to fire on the traitors.

Not one did, and the zabrak men moved ahead to rush to engage.

Reveille and Matja had moved too quickly to be worried about that, at first. And Reveille slid under a lightsaber strike from the human, grabbing Thenn and then continuing to run, just as Tarkin would have reached her and put an electroblade into her skull. Instead, his blade caught the lightsaber swing that missed Reveille.

Thenn screamed, not from pain, but surprise and fright at once as the area lit up with Stormtroopers not taking out blasters, but batons and other melee weapons, knowing better than to engage in blaster fire with so many potential mishaps of missed shots – this time around.

Reveille just planned to find her a bit of cover, and then deal with the situation.

~***~

Honestly, Armitage should have known he’d find no peace outside. It wasn’t as if the air was better out here, but the distraction of checking guard posts was the only way he could think to clear his mind. The people here still had a lot to learn. He had the Cadets helping now, of course – running drills, and going out on espionage missions to learn about what could be beneficial to them.

But his task of checking guard posts was interrupted.

His gaze moved to the source of the greeting, his expression unmoved by its timidity. Lavinia had no reason to so much as speak to him any longer, “Save your breath,” he commented dryly, passing on. “There’s no need for formalities.” No need to talk again. He wasn’t going to insist on her standing to old formalities or behaving as if he were a superior officer.

He’d rather she pretend he didn’t exist, and he’d return the favor.

Kylo wasn’t satisfied with Nyx’s answer. His face turned into a scowl, as he understood that she was willing to leave them behind for death. To leave Thenn behind. “That’s not good enough,” he growled.

While he was reminded of her she easily overpowered him, he was also reminded of how he should be the one leading the orders, as hers proved less-than-satisfactory.

“We can’t afford to lose anyone else we know is an ally.” No one in the First Order could be considered one, especially with how easy the Exigency fell. Who was to say that the other star destroyers would fall just as easily?

They needed to keep all their known allies as they could. “And I am willing to go there and help them.”

~~

Rey stepped fruther away from Reveille, Tarkin, and Valo, so she could feel the Force once again. And felt it she did as the first Nightsister stepped into the arena. She didn’t hesitate before grabbing her lightsaber and igniting it, the blue blade glowing against her skin.

The small child confused both her and Valo. Someone so innocent and small shouldn’t be on a warship, and yet, she was already corrupted by lies of the darkness. Rey wanted to save her; a child’s mind was easily corruptible, and she knew these Nightsisters have done just that.

The child even sounded innocent as realization dawned on her face as she understood that they weren’t allies. Valo just as much wanted to drag her away from the battle before she could get attacked, or accidentally shot.

Which he knew could be by Matja, as he cruelly mocked the child.

Rey moved forward with her ignited lightsaber, providing a stark contrast against the red of the two Nightsisters. Valo was the first to notice that Reveille ran off to safety with the child, which he couldn’t dwell on as the battle began.

As Rey blocked an attack from a Nightsister, Valo shot at them with his blaster, a seemingly insignificant weapon in comparison. Rey moved in to directly defend against the Nightsisters, as Valo remained further back, to attack from afar.

~~

Lavinia knew she would garner that callous response from Armitage. She didn’t deserve anything else, but that still didn’t stop her from attempting more, if he would listen. “Please,” she whispered, turning around to face him as he continued on.

“Can we talk?” She anticipated an outright denial, or even for him to ignore her and walk on, so she continued before he could, “I want to apologize for how I acted earlier. It was uncalled for and unfair to you. I know it won’t change anything, and I know you wont accept it, but I still need to let you know that I am sorry for what I said.”

And he may cruelly scoff at her, or he may continue on, but she wanted those thoughts out in the air, and if Armitage responded to them in any way that started a conversation, pleasant or not, would be good enough for her.

Nyx shouldn’t have expected more from Kylo, and yet, she did. Instead of doing what was needed, he was being irrational, again. She kept her calm, of course, even if the temptation to slap him was there.

No, she’d not make that first move.

“Discord has already made it clear that there is not enough time, Kylo Ren. You going there will only find them dead if they do not escape. You will only die yourself among them,” she reminded him, calm, patient. He wasn’t realizing that the element of time meant there was nothing he could do.

He had to accept that. “You cannot defeat time, Kylo Ren.” That was a skill no one had. Even her ability to slow his movements was not a slowing of time. Time flowed as ever.

~***~

The blaster shots were initially deflected by the togruta, but eventually she reached out with the Force to try and turn them back on Valo. Of course, they did turn, but she lost control over them as they entered his field; not that it killed the shots and their momentum, but she couldn’t point them as exact as she’d like.

She gave up on it quickly, when Rey came to her attention, and as nightbrothers went after the others – two to Val, one to Matja, and one to Reveille.

The nightsister guarded Rey’s attack, but was quick to step back and strike back at her, fire dancing on the fingertips of her other hand.

She intended to lift that up and char Rey’s face off.

Matja was faring quite well against his own foe, even if he hadn’t struck the one he wanted. The problem came only when a nightbrother joined the fight as well. Not that he was unused to unfair numbers, but it was a bit difficult to balance it all. He wanted a second blade.

It came in the form of a lightsaber, when he lobbed off the human’s hand, and then grabbed it; she couldn’t call it to herself with the Force, or do much of anything without the Force.

He spun back around, and hacked the nightbrother in two; he was more of a threat than the nightsister without the Force.

Reveille had managed to run into Jinnah, and she shoved the child into his arms. “Keep her safe!” It was all but an order, before she turned and slammed a foot into the nightbrother who had given pursuit. It hardly did much to him, and he swung out immediately after. Reveille caught the electrostaff where the electricity didn’t spark.

His strength was still greater than hers, but she didn’t try to pull it out of his hands. Far from it, she threw her weight on it and forced it down, as she flipped over it and put a kick into his throat. He gagged a moment, and released the weapon.

Now Reveille was happy, and the nightbrother went down in one cut across his throat, fingers coming off with it. Reveille rushed back to join the fray.

~***~

Armitage didn’t stop walking.

He didn’t pause to answer her question. He knew that Lavinia was going to keep talking, and for the moment, he let her, even if he was tempted to tell her he was about business and she was disrupting that. She wouldn’t care. Stars knew she never cared about direction.

She apologized, and it went in one ear and out the other.

At least she knew that, or professed to know it. “I’ve heard you,” he stated as she said that she just needed him to know.

He heard it. That was about as much as could be said. “If that’s all you needed,” for it certainly wasn’t what he needed, “Then consider your task done. I know.” He already knew how skilled she was with words. She’d been lying for months. Whether or not she was sincere about this, as she claimed sincerity in so many other lies, he didn’t know, and he didn’t need to know, or care.

Kylo tightly gritted his teeth together. But what if they weren’t killed immediately? Or at least Thenn? What if she survived amongst the carnage? He didn’t want to risk leaving her there alone.

His mind was already made up. He would go, regardless of what Nyx said. “Of course, no one can defeat time.” But he wouldn’t forget how Nyx was just willing to toss the Nightsisters aside.

And he had allowed her to convince him to keep Thenn on that damned ship. He was already set on retrieving her, once Nyx was distracted enough to not realize he was gone until it was too late.

“Then should we strengthen our defenses here while we still have the chance?”

~~

Valo braced himself for the blaster shots the Nightsister directed his way, but they never came, which he realized was thanks to the bracelet Matja handed out. How nifty. He wouldn’t deny their usefulness. If it kept him alive, then how could he?

Attention shifted, and two Nightbrothers focused on him. Valo scowled, but not once did he let his guard down. A duel of the blasters began, and they continued, as Valo dodged each one shot his way, and the Nightbrothers easily able to deflect any bolts direct at them.

It was a stalemate for the time being, until Valo grew tired.

Rey had her own struggle at the same time. She fought the togruta, who simultaneously did and didn’t remind her of the togruta who struck up a conversation with her before she left.

And depending on the outcome of the battle, she would return to that togruta.

Rey dodged the fire that was aimed towards her. That’s new. She didn’t know they were capable of producing fire. Could Kylo do that?

She doged in a somersault move that aimed the lightsaber at the togruta’s legs, intending to disable her in the moment.

~~

Lavinia frowned, watching Armitage continue walking. She had hoped he would have at least paused for a second, but he didn’t even grant her that.

He may know, but it didn’t help anything. She even felt worse than before, as her eyes watched the back of his head.

Then she followed after him, making sure her own long stride kept up with him. “But has anyone asked what you needed?” She wondered if he would answer her, but she continued in hopes he would tell her.

“There’s a lot you want to do for Taris, and there’s now three extra people who could help you.” Lavinia had caught up to him, but she reminded a few paces behind him. “Please, let me help.”

Kylo Ren wasn’t satisfied. That much was obvious, but he agreed – time could not be defeated. That would have to suffice for now. Perhaps he’d end up on some mad quest to defeat time, the way Vader had hoped to bring Padme back to life.

Even after she’d heard her – even when she did not want to be brought back.

The Skywalker line was hopeless, in some respects, but it did bring them to new and interesting developments.

“Yes, we should,” Nyx agreed, “and you should look into those at Spira, Kylo,” she reminded him of that simple task.

~***~

With two weapons, a lightsaber and a vibroblade, the nightbrother didn’t stand much of a chance. Not as Matja rained down blows, never letting up the offensive – though the nightbrother tried, backing up to the three dealing with Valo to try and get their attention.

Their attention turned with his death cry – and then one was bashed in the head by Rani who held a riot baton.

Matja lunged for that one, piercing through their head with his new lightsaber, as the other took a blaster shot from Valo – and then was ended by a hacking slash from Reveille, who’d rejoined the fight.

Meanwhile, the togruta had lost ground – significantly – against Rey. The dodge wasn’t unexpected, but her move to strike through it was. The togruta only managed to save on leg, as the other fell to the ground behind, and she tumbled onto her back afterwards, horrified by her own loss.

Fire immediately blazed to life around her in an effort to create a defensive shield.

~***~

At first, Lavinia didn’t follow, and he thought that she had taken the hint that he was not interested in reconciliation. However, all too soon, he heard her steps starting to dog his own. He wouldn’t slow for her – he was on task, and had no reason to slow for her.

She spoke again.

Of course no one had asked that ridiculous question. He was told what Taris needed; his needs were secondary. He could see what Taris needed, and he knew how to go about getting it – as the people realized. “Three extra people,” he mused, “I take it you’re not going to be helping, then?” He queried.

There were four, by his counts – Borran, Tanis, Kos’tel’lanni, and Lavinia. He knew that ‘Tel had offered to stay with him, and help, before. He had denied her that attempt to reconcile things, as well. Even if now he’d admit he could use more than bloodthirsty cadets.

She offered to help after it was spoken. “Fine. Are you any good with mechanics and droids?” He asked, still not slowing, but he did at least look at her. “There are several mouse droids I intend to send ahead as scouts and spies.” No one paid attention to mouse droids. They were easy to capture, and easy to move into any area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back