• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Fight for Control [closed]

Kylo scoffed. Anyone knew that they did not share much love for him. And likewise, most of the people in the First Order annoyed him. A few officers didn’t actually annoy him, but he suspected they didn’t share the same sentiment.

He didn’t lose sleep at night over it though. His nightmares were created by something worse.

“I’m sure there are many reasons.” Kylo wondered how many lies Armitage and Reveille spread about him that contributed to that hate. “One that I am aware of is my volatile nature. Whenever someone would upset me due to sheer incompetence,” or merely delivering bad news, “I would lash out in my anger.”

Kylo was aware of it. He always had been. It hadn’t been something he was easily able to control.

“News of my anger was quick to spread around the First Order, and so many grew to fear me before they even laid eyes on me.” A fact that Kylo didn’t know how to handle. Was he proud of it? Or was it a reason for his internal conflict?

“Also many already had their own preconceived notions of Force users, grown up to hate anyone with the Force.”

~~

Valo snorted. “Well, we were on this swamp-infested planet...”

Oola, who had swiveled in her chair to better face Reveille, noticed the woman nodded off. She elbowed Valo, motioning to the sleeping woman.

At that point, they had entered hyperdrive. Valo turned in his chair to look at what Oola wanted to show him, and he grinned at the sight. It was almost good enough to take a picture of.

In fact…

He drew out his datapad, capturing the moment of when Reveille didn’t scowl or express any negative emotion. She almost looked calm. Serene. With her head in her knees, she emanated a child-like appearance that was almost endearing.

When she woke up, they would be nearing Bespin, making their way to the temporary Resistance base on Cloud City, hidden from First Order view thanks to the efforts of Lando Calrissian.

~~

Lavinia let out a bark of laughter. “Of course not. I may enjoy the stories, but I know the emotional pain from such tragedies is not worth it.” And yet, she allowed herself to grow attached to Armitage in ways she knew shouldn’t have.

But she did. The day her truth was revealed, when he had visited her in her quarters, she found warmth in his embrace. Had they were able to remain like that for any longer, she may have given into her desire to see what his lips tasted like.

Lavinia didn’t though, and she may have spared them both from further pain as a result. She hated how she still desired it, even as Armitage wish to see her dead in his anger.

She couldn’t quell her feelings for him. In that moment, words her mother had bitterly remarked to her many years ago echoed in her mind. Love is for children. Do you think your father and I loved each other when we married?

Love had brought her nothing but pain. For once, maybe her mother had a point.

Thenn frowned at Kylo’s series of confessions. He apparently had an anger issue. She, thankfully, hadn’t seen evidence of it, and so it confused her. “Maybe you should have apologized to them after you were done being angry?” She hardly knew the extent of his anger, or how long-lasting it could be. “I usually feel bad when I lash out at others I didn’t mean to lash out at….”

She added, “Maybe you can start when we get back to the Order. You can do better!”

It was ridiculously entertaining to Nyx, and she opted not to interrupt, curious what Kylo would think of Thenn’s idea. Or that he needed to apologize for his anger, and how he had lashed out at others.

How would that sound to him, coming from a child he cared for? “And we can show them that Force users aren’t all bad, too.”

~***~

It was not a deep sleep Reveille found, but it was peaceful for it. She never entered a state to dream, just rest a little. It wasn’t nearly enough, and she felt the ship shudder out of lightspeed. She looked up, looked out the viewport as a gaseous planet came into sight.

She squinted.

‘Bespin.’

That made sense. Old allies.

She wasn’t nearly awake enough to feel embarrassed for having fallen asleep in the chair. She set her legs back down and lifted her bag once more, “Does General Organa know I’m with you now?” She hadn’t heard any talk of it…though she’d been asleep, so she wouldn’t have been aware of many decisions or discussions made.

Or camera flashes.

~***~

Millicent bristled at the bark of laughter this time, seeming agitated by it.

At least Lavinia’s romanticism didn’t extend that far, though that certainly made Armitage’s own emotional considerations seem even worse for it. Of course the rebel spy didn’t feel anything. It had all been a game. She may have humanized him, but that was it. At least now he knew, and could let those thoughts and wonderings die.

“Given your recent decisions, you must forgive me for wondering if this was another stupid decision you were also making.” As if emotions could be.

They couldn’t.

Only how one responded to them. Something he’d told Kylo before, though it never spared any equipment.

Kylo had forgotten that Thenn was with them, and within hearing distance. He frowned at the innocence of her words. If only it could be so easy, he would apologize to several people. Many people.

He knew what the people of the First Order were like. They weren’t so easy to accept mere apologies. If he wanted to truly win them back over, he would have to do so through actions.

“We will see.” That is all he offered young Thenn. He couldn’t give her an answer that would completely satisfy her without later feeling guilty about blatantly lying to her.

If he did lash out in anger at someone, Kylo would have to make sure she wasn’t around to witness it. He didn’t want to scare her away with his true colors.

~~

During the travel, Oola had sent a message off to General Organa, updating her on their new Reveille situation. The older woman responded in a way that didn’t come as a shock to neither her nor Valo.

Reveille would have to leave their shuttle in binders, before being taken in for questioning on her sudden change of heart.

The woman spoke as they approached the atmosphere. Both heard her rustling, and Sven regarded her carefully as she adjusted herself in her seat.

“She does,” Oola answered. “And I suspect by now, many more in the Resistance know that you’re with us.”

Valo piloted the ship into Cloud City. “Rivas requesting to dock.” A few seconds later, and a response was given through the ship’s comms.

“You may dock in Hangar 14.” He guided the ship to its designation, and as he did so, he spoke over his shoulder to Reveille. “There’s a slight catch though, one we felt may happen. You’re to leave our ship in binders, and you will be questioned. For your sake, try and lay off the snark.”

~~

Lavinia shook her head. She wanted to lie and push herself further from Armitage, but she couldn’t find it in herself to do that. If he were to either kill her, or escape back to the First Order, she wanted him to know everything.

“I don’t decide on my emotions, like anyone else. My emotions decided that I should be like those characters of the stories I enjoyed so much.” And Lavinia expected Armitage to mock her and deny that anything of the sort happened to him.

Her gaze flickered to the cat, still protecting Armitage, but ready to attack Lavinia if she moved close to the man.

“And then I began believing I was truly and fully Althea, because I wanted to. Because the alternative grew too painful to realize.” Even then, she still wished to be that fake identity she created, even if she didn’t fully believe in the First Order.

She wanted to though. She wanted something to believe in, but they relied on fear too much, just as the Galactic Empire did.

And the Republic cared little about the Outer Rims.

Thenn nodded to that. They would see. “Okay,” she could accept that. They’d try to win them back for Kylo. He was a good guy. He deserved to have the people of the First Order see that, and they deserved to know that Force users weren’t all bad.

Nyx would show them that. She’d show them all how to have better lives, and what they all could have, if they just trusted her. “I hope it won’t go too badly,” she murmured.

“It won’t,” Nyx reassured, “Once we arrive, we will go into the hangar, and we will step out into it. We will speak with Rani, and take control over the ship from there.”

“Is Rani nice?”

Nyx wasn’t sure how to answer that. She hadn’t met Rani personally, “She is afraid,” Nyx answered instead. “So treat her gently, Thenn. Like you do the burrowing creatures.”

“Mmm….”

~***~

Reveille nodded to the information presented. She was going to be taken in, and put in binders. Not unexpected, and she intended to cooperate, though she rose and walked a step to hold out her bag to Oola. “There are six lemon drops in here. I expect all of them returned.” She had tried to save some for Batuu. She knew the anxiety that would follow waiting.

There was also a blaster, a knife, and that reminded her she should probably take her boot knife out. “There’s a knife in my boot. I’ll get it.”

She drew her foot up carefully behind her back and managed to pull the knife free, and hand it over, too.

Best not to come in armed.

“I make no promises about the snark,” she added, “but I’ll try.” She knew quite a bit of that would depend on what questions were asked. Or who was asking them. She hadn’t refrained from snark with her own therapist, after all.

~***~

‘What.’

It wasn’t a question, though the word always implied one. The flat shock of Lavinia’s words, in such contrast with her earlier statement, was a surprise. Armitage kept it well masked on his face as he stared at her. As she confessed. Apparently, she had caught feelings for him.

Well, at least he wasn’t entirely an idiot for feeling something, then.

Even if it certainly didn’t matter. “More’s the pity,” he said, “You are not Althea.” She never was Althea, she was Lavinia, rebel scum who had been turned through some mix of emotions and reconsiderations. “Tell me, was it only after you learned we were living and breathing people that you began to reconsider your stance, or did you ever actually believe in our goals?”

Did she ever see what they were trying to do, and accept it? Or was it just that she cared for the people all of a sudden, that the plan didn’t matter?

I hope it won’t go too badly either.

The crew of the Exigency were the ones to witness the last act Kylo committed that resulted in Reveille throwing him from the First Order. They would be the least welcoming to his return.

Trepidation rolled off of him in waves as their destination grew closer. Nyx would help him and help guide the officers to their cause.

The ship left hyperdrive, and the star destroyer loomed before them. “You said they were already expecting us?” he confirmed. They didn’t need the First Order to be surprised at their arrival and fire upon their ship. And if they didn’t know Kylo was there, Nyx would need to speak to whomever addressed their ship.

~~

Oola took ahold of the bag with an amused expression. “Lemon drops?” She wouldn’t be cruel and steal one from Reveille, just to see how she would react. But she did desire a further explanation on the matter. Even Valo looked amused at the announcement of lemon drops in her bag.

She stated that she was removing a knife from her boot, and Sven whirled behind her, one metal appendage sticking out, threatening to shock her if she made any sudden moves.

Valo landed the ship in the hangar, and Oola said nothing to Sven on his behavior. She didn’t fault him. For all they knew, Reveille could still have some unexplained plan in mind, and she could strike them with the knife in her boot now that she knew where the Resistance hid.

Oola took the knife and placed it into the bag for now. After the ship landed, Valo rose to his feet and took out a pair of binders. “We honestly didn’t expect you to lay off the snark. I think I may have been disappointed if you did.”

The ramp lowered, and Valo encased her wrists in the binders, in front of her body.

~~

You’re not Althea.

No, she wasn’t. And she never would be. Althea had her life together. Lavinia did not.

Armitage’s words felt cold, but he had the right to ask the question. “I wondered that myself for some time, but I did start to believe in your goals, long before I realized I cared for the people.”

She just wished some of their means to achieve those goals were different. The Hosnian System, Tarkintown...those were all needless deaths. Casualty was expected of war, but Lavinia wished to see as few people as possible to die in the crossfire.

“I think the more I started caring about you guys, the more I believed in what you were doing.” If only things could be different.

“Yes,” Nyx said, and a hailing command came across. She answered it.

The voice that came through was not Rani, too masculine for that, “Unknown ship, please state your name and purpose.” Other ships arrived around them.

Nyx spoke, “This is Nyx,” she apparently had no need to hide her name, and she spoke the clearance code, indicating the other ships that were with her.

They were directed to a single hangar, rather than divided. It was cleared of TIEs or other ships, open entirely.

Though she did see a twi’lek out there, blue-skinned, and from what images she’d seen, she suspected that was Rani. “Stay close to Kylo,” she advised Thenn, before moving to the ramp to step onto the hangar floor.

The air was thick with fear and anticipation.

~***~

The curiosity at the lemon drops was somewhat anticipated. Reveille didn’t satisfy it, though, “If I survive long enough, maybe I’ll tell you.” She doubted mere curiosity over lemon drops was going to be any deciding factor in all of this, but perhaps she wanted to hold onto the thought that they might see each other again.

For something inane.

Something pointless.

Either way, the binders were slapped on, facing forward. ‘Interesting.’ Most people always bound from behind. Of course, most people also couldn’t get out of binders that way. Reveille knew she was an exception, but wouldn’t mention it. They probably all felt more comfortable if they could see her hands, regardless of the thought process that went into it.

“I’m sure you’ll hear about it,” she noted to Valo, as she was led out. She didn’t drop her head, or appear chastened.

This was a choice – like it or not. She would not appear ashamed.

~***~

Apparently, before Kos’tel’lanni got her hooks in, Lavinia had already begun to wonder about things. He wasn’t sure he believed that, but he did find he believed that she had started to see the method to their madness, as some would call it. He didn’t see it that way – the anarchy of the Senate was madness.

His plans were straightforward.

But it didn’t matter, and he felt foolish for trying to continue that line of dialogue. She was still a traitor. She was still holding him against his will, and she had all but destroyed the Order now.

He might have wanted to lash out further about all of that, but he heard the ramp come down, and suspected that Kos’tel’lanni had returned. So, he remained mute.

Kylo didn’t recognize the voice, nor did he expected to. Not many on the Exigency were familiar to him, aside from Kos’tel’lanni and Reveille, who were both gone.

Maybe there would be some hope they would accept him in without little fight. If not? The Nightsisters would be prepared.

The ship docked into the hangar after clearance confirmation. Kylo spotted a familiar blue-skinned twi’lek. He had seen her once or twice before, and had Nyx not asked him earlier about her, he would’ve have recalled her name. Rani.

Kylo moved towards the ramp. As Nyx directed, one hand lingered close to Thenn, as if he anticipated things to turn south quickly. He followed behind Nyx off the ship.

Everyone was at edge. The fear that the air was thick with only increased when Kylo stepped down the ramp and into the hangar.

It seemed no one had forgotten him.

~~

Oola only glanced at Reveille as she spoke of revealing a little backstory later. If she survived. Unless Reveille pulled a blaster out on all of them and immediately opened fire, she didn’t see why the woman would make it past her little interrogation.

Maybe it was from her years of the First Order. Very little trust was shared.

Valo led her down the ramp with a gentle grip on her upper arm. Only a grip tight enough to warn her from attempting anything foolish. Given her history, he almost suspected it.

General Leia Organa, Commander Poe Dameron, and Finn stood a few feet away from the ramp. Poe and Finn looked as happy as Valo and Oola imagined they would be in the situation. Leia maintained a cool facade, although Oola swore she saw a brief flicker of amusement in her gaze.

“Reveille Hux,” Leia greeted, “it has been so long since we’ve last seen each other.”

~~

Lavinia heard the ramp move, and she sprung up to grab the tape that still laid at the front of the ship. Kos’tel’lanni might know that she had been talking to Armitage, but it would be easier for them all if he was further silenced.

She tore off a piece, and as she leaned down to quickly place it over his mouth, before he had a chance to object, she whispered, “I’m so sorry.”

Sorry for subjecting him to that humiliation. Sorry for tearing him away from the First Order, his obsession since childhood.

Familiar voices were heard ascending the ramp. Lavinia straightened, and a smile crossed her face when she recognized the voices of Tanis and Borran. Kos’tel’lanni was the first to enter the ship, with the aforementioned two following behind her.

Tanis was the first to lay eyes on her. Lavinia swore she say the woman tear up some, but she didn’t get a better look before the woman separated the distance between the two, enveloping Lavinia in a tight hug. “I’m so sorry,” she whispered.

Lavinia said nothing. She only responded with wrapping her arms around her old friend.

Blasters moved up as soon as Kylo was recognized.

“What the hell is this?!” Rani’s voice pitched up rapidly, nearing hysterics on just that sentence as she stepped rapidly back, recognizing Kylo, “This wasn’t part of the arrangement!”

“It was,” Nyx maintained her calm, “You agreed to allow me and my organization to join you. Kylo Ren,” there were other gasps of shock as Zeme’lodi’csapla stepped out of her own vessel, “is among my organization. You did not ask for each individual name.”

BUT HE’S A MONSTER!” Rani shouted, pointing her finger right at him, realization dawning that perhaps, just perhaps, so was everyone else in this group.

And then the child spoke, “It’s okay! He’s getting better!”

Rani’s gaze shifted down, to the child besides Kylo, all but clinging to his pants, afraid of the blasters – but still speaking up. “He knows he lashed out a lot,” she said, “but we’re all gonna get better, and make the Order better, for everyone.”

Looks were exchanged, and Rani couldn’t help the burst of laughter – manic, afraid, but she knew with the sight of all the lightsabers that she had no way of repelling them even if she wanted to. And there was a child besides Kylo Ren?

Blasters lowered, coming to that same conclusion.

They had all just royally fucked themselves.

Thenn still went forward to where Rani stepped back into a wall, and let herself slide down against it, tears mingling with the laughter. “It’s okay,” Thenn said again, offering a hand. Rani took it, but didn’t rise. She just held it, and Thenn repeated the mantra that it was okay, though she wondered why Rani was so afraid.

What Kylo had done to get this kind of reaction.

~***~

Reveille took note of who was assembled, catching sight of Poe besides the traitor, before her gaze met Leia Organa. She, at least, kept a relatively stoic expression. “I did not know you missed me so much, General.” She greeted in turn. It couldn’t have been much more than a week. Stars, what had happened in that week, though….

“How does it feel to be a traitor?” Finn couldn’t help but shout, having heard that she was arriving, more or less, to help against thee First Order.

He was way too smug. Way too chipper. But his question wasn’t meant as a welcome, and Reveille knew that. It was meant to knock her down further, but she just cast a glance in his direction, blank look. “Do I know you?” Of course she did. Of course she’d seen the fliers.

She just didn’t want him to feel important enough, and the way his expression twisted? Her words did it. His chipperness went to agitation.

~***~

Armitage attempted to bite Lavinia’s finger, but she was too careful for that. He scowled as the tape went over his lips, hardly accepting the apology. His gaze, however, quickly moved to the others – Kos’tel’lanni, Tanis, and Borran. He imagined that they hadn’t forgotten him, either.

The situation was hardly a good one, and Kos’tel’lanni came forward as Tanis and Lavinia hugged. She ripped the tape off almost immediately. “I know you’re not happy with things right now.”

“Whatever gave that away?” Hux interrupted.

Kos’tel’lanni continued as if he hadn’t, “But I need you to cooperate so we can all get somewhere safe, and figure out how to proceed. We just need to shift ships, and leave here,” she’d told Borran and Tanis the likelihood of them being tracked, to be killed. They couldn’t stay here, and they couldn’t continue on with this ship.

“And what do I have to do?”

“I found a poncho…and a hat.” No sunglasses. “I need you to not struggle and walk with us.” She wasn’t unbinding his hands. That’s why she had a poncho.

“And my reward is some new planet with all of you?”

“Your life, and time to plot.”

Armitage glowered at that. He supposed she had a point.

Kylo tensed as blasters shot up and immediately pointed in their direction. The combination of all their strengths would easily stop the blasters, but his hand near Thenn moved over her in a form of false protection. If anyone harmed her, he would prove how merciless he could be.

The twi’lek showed her emotions easy. She apparently remembered him quite well, even if he couldn’t recall doing anything to her. She had let the rumors fuel her hate for him.

Thenn moved to comfort the twi’lek, and Kylo remained on guard for anyone to make a foolish move.

He stepped forward. “Maybe I am a monster.” Kylo extended his arms out, motioning to everyone who witnessed them in the hangar. His voice became louder, ensuring that everyone could hear him, “But is there anyone here who is a saint?”

No, no one in the First Order deserved that title.

His arms lowered back to his side, and he took a few steps towards Rani. Slowly, as to not startle her even more than she was already. “I know I have made many mistakes in the past, but I seek to learn from them and move to a new future.”

~~

Leia wanted to groan at the less-than-kind welcome Finn offered. Sure, Reveille didn’t exactly earned the welcoming committee, but if they were to partner up for reasons Leia have yet to learn, everyone needed to try and at least get along.

“That’s enough,” she spoke, signaling out both of them. “Captain Ravis, Lieutenant Bana, follow us to my office.”

Valo kept a light grip on Reveille’s arm as he ushered her after Leia, Poe, and Finn. All were aware of the stares they received from the other Resistance fighters, as many questioned the sanity of Valo and Oola for bringing her to being with.

“General, we have much to debrief you on concerning the First Order.” Oola kept at pace alongside Leia, forcing Poe to follow a few steps behind her.

“And I’m guessing that’s why we have our special guess?” There was no doubt she was referencing Reveille in that statement.

Oola took a quick glance back at the woman. “In a way, yes.”

After a few minutes, Leia walked up to a keypad beside a door, to which she quickly punched in the code for the door to slide open. “Please, make yourselves comfortable.” She motioned to a few chairs that were spread throughout the small office, and she sat in her own on the other side of the table.

With the amount of seats she had available, three people would remain standing.

~~

Lavinia wanted to wince as Kos’tel’lanni ripped off the tape so soon after she put it back on. They only gave him reasons to continue stewing in the festering hate.

Tanis stepped away from Lavinia, and Borran was quick to envelope her in a hug as well. Theirs didn’t last as long, but she could still feel the warmth and comfort his presence gave her.

He stepped away as Kos’tel’lanni revealed their plan for him, and he motioned to his blaster at his side. “If you start to struggle, we won’t hesitate to shoot.” Only on stun, but it was something they wanted to avoid as to not bring attention to their group.

“For now, we’ll be moving to our ship.” Tanis gestured to herself and Boran. “After that, we can leave the planet, as we just finished up our job.”

“Which was?” Lavinia asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

Tanis waved her off. “Nothing big, just a simple transport job.” In Hutt territory. “But you’re all welcome to stay with us until you’re able to get a new ship-”

“Which we can pay for, if you’re without credits right now,” Borran interjected.

“Or if you just need more time to think out what you’re going to do next.”

Nyx had rather wished Kylo dropped the subject, even if his words had a point. The tension in the air spoke to how much they still feared him, and were wary of his every move. They watched him as he moved to their commander, the one who struck this horrible deal, and Nyx kept her attention on it all as well, as Zeme’lodi’csapla came alongside her.

She put a hand lightly on Discord’s back.

Rani’s gaze lifted to Kylo as he spoke of his mistakes. Of wanting to learn from them. She bared her teeth, wishing she had fangs. What Kylo had done to Lavinia was unforgivable. Maybe she was a traitor – but Rani had liked her.

And now she was gone.

Kos’tel’lanni was gone.

Sienar was gone.

Reveille was gone.

Armitage was gone.

And one word and she’d damn them all further. One wrong word. Even if she wanted to spit at him, or tell him he was beyond redemption, she couldn’t. She’d just…have to play along, until she could find a better way. Reach out to the Syndulla Clan or…something.

“I hope that’s right.” The words were still spat. Still angry. “I really hope that’s right.”

‘Because you’re to blame for everything, because they’re all gone because of what you started, because….’

Thenn patted her hand.

~***~

Reveille did not move out of the guiding grip that Valo kept. She knew it was for her own safety, as much as anything else. She kept pace, and did not struggle, as Poe and Finn fell in line to follow General Organa to another location.

Though, she didn’t bother masking her look towards the keypad, committing the code shamelessly to memory. Old habits died hard.

There were chairs, and places to sit, within the room. Reveille moved to take a chair. She assumed Valo or Oola would take one; Finn didn’t. He knew his role, and it was not sitting besides Reveille Hux. That would just antagonize things further.

Leia didn’t open with questions, and neither Valo nor Oola broke the momentary silence with an explanation.

Reveille leaned back in her seat and crossed one leg over the other. She’d heard a rumor among the troopers, and she couldn’t help but ask, “I’m not clear on how the Resistance does things – though I know how the First Order does, so I hope you can forgive my ignorance, General, but…do you speak first? Or do I?”

~***~

‘We need time.’ Kos’tel’lanni didn’t state that. She imagined it would soon become clear to all of them that they had no solid plans. The escape was a surprise. Bringing along Armitage Hux was also, a surprise, and not a good one.

Armitage eyed the blaster. He didn’t need to be stunned three times in a day. In probably less than eight hours. He wasn’t certain how long his blackouts lasted.

“Fine. I’ll cooperate to the ship.” He agreed, and with that, Kos’tel’lanni pulled a brown poncho from a bag.

“Er, could someone cut his ropes?” She realized, a moment later, with her hands full of poncho, that she had neglected the ropes that kept him in the chair.

Kylo wasn’t oblivious to what was going through Rani’s mind.

She didn’t exactly try to hide it. Her animosity rolled off in waves. She blamed him for everything that had happened in the First Order.

And maybe he was. Maybe Kylo was to blame for many transgressions, but he would now prove to them he was a capable leader. While keeping an eye on Rani.

Right now, she seemed the most capable of treason.

Kylo backed away from their commander, the smirk he had wiped away. “Not only that, but we will strengthen the First Order. Several flaws have been exposed recently, and we will work to patch them and bring us to further success than before.”

His hand reached out to beckon Thenn back over to him. The little girl won’t change Rani’s mind about Kylo Ren.

~~

Oola took the seat beside Reveille, as Poe and Valo stood in a spot a few feet behind them. Both similarly had their arms crossed over their chest, and Leia couldn’t help the observation of how similar they had looked in that moment. As if they were brothers.

Reveille spoke first, and Poe couldn’t stop the bark of laughter in response. Oh, he knew exactly what she was referencing. “I’m not even going to question how you know about that.”

Leia softly smiled, before glancing between Oola and Valo. “Now, you mentioned you heard something big from the informant. What was it?” She figured that they might as well start with the status of the First Order, and give them further insight into why Reveille was there.

A sigh sounded from the togruta. “It deals with your son, Ben Solo. He’s back in the First Order, leading them with a group of Nightsisters.”

A soft well, shit was murmured behind her from Poe Dameron. Leia couldn’t stop her own shock from crossing her features. “Nightsisters? I thought they were all gone?”

“Apparently they had a little resurrection, and now they’re helping Kylo Ren in the First Order. Their Supreme Leader disappeared, and they took the opportunity to swoop in and take control.” Valo could tell that his news was upsetting to Leia.

She knew what her son had become. She had just hoped there would still be some hope for him. With every passing day, that door diminished more and more.

~~

Tanis grinned at Kos’tel’lanni’s question, and she reached down her shirt with one hand. She pulled out a switchblade from where Lavinia could only guess was her bra.

“How far is your ship from here?” she wondered.

Borran answered as he watched Tanis approach Armitage, carefully eyeing the agitated cat that threatened to scratch her legs. “Maybe about a ten minute walk. Everything should go smoothly if no one decides to act up.” He gazed pointedly at Armitage.

It was clear who his words were directed towards.

Lavinia focused her attention back on Armitage. “Do you think the cat will just follow us?” She wasn’t about to carry Millicent for ten minutes.

Tanis leaned down and cut the ropes, allowing Armitage freedom aside from the binders on his wrists.

Many in the hangar, were not going to be in quick agreement with things. Nyx knew this, as Kylo continued to speak, it didn’t ease anyone. Thenn did move back to join him, and hesitantly, Rani got back to her feet. She wiped at her eyes.

“Well. Supreme Leader.” That was directed at Nyx. “Shall we go to the Core then?” At least it might get Kylo off her ship for a bit, as he went to deal with Schaeffer and the others. Rani would have to see how things went as the Nightsisters organized themselves between the ships and set up their posts.

“Yes,” there was no hitch in Nyx accepting the title. “Set coordinates for where the Finalizer is,” she knew that to be the ship where Schaeffer was leading from. It seemed he, too, preferred to avoid the Supremacy. Perhaps it was too obvious.

~***~

That confirmed that. Reveille did glance back at Poe as he spoke, and offered no answer to the unasked, looking back to Leia.

Oola offered the news, calling Kylo ‘Ben’. Reveille managed not to roll her eyes, but her displeasure was evident on her features.

Finn, also, couldn’t quite hold back a curse at the news.

“The Nightsisters are led by Darth Nyx, a former apprentice of Darth Vader, if she’s telling the truth,” Reveille added, “Her apprentice is Zeme’lodi’csapla, outcast of the Chiss. I don’t know who else, or how many others. They were on Dathomir, prior to this,” information she’d gotten through Leia before, about a potential place where Kylo could be.

She had known Nightsisters were involved. She had neglected to consider that Leia was ignorant of it. “These two found me on Batuu. Valo made sure I was kicked out of Oga’s Cantina before convincing me to stay with them while they were on Batuu. It ended up being a much shorter stay than anticipated thanks to this news. I hadn’t intended to come join your Resistance until I heard what happened with Kylo Ren.”

She wouldn’t call him Ben.

Ben was dead.

“I had left the Order and I intended to stay out of things. The pink hair wasn’t my idea.”

~***~

Kos’tel’lanni gave an approving nod, even if Millicent wasn’t so happy about this. She looked like she would cut Tanis, but she didn’t. Perhaps she recognized the slip of a knife could mean pain for Hux, or perhaps she hadn’t yet rendered judgment on Tanis. In either case, Armitage was freed of his binds, and Kos’tel’lanni tossed the poncho over him once he rose, before putting the wide-rimmed hat over his head.

He did not look happy. “If you smile, no one will recognize you.”

He did not smile. “Millicent followed me into this hell, so yes, I think she’ll continue this behavior. She’s at least loyal.”

Kos’tel’lanni sighed. His mouth wasn’t going away anytime soon. Not that she expected it would – both Huxes could be terrible about that. “Let’s get moving then. If we need to, I’ll carry the cat.” At risk of multiple injuries.

Kylo’s attention snapped to Nyx as she was addressed with the title Supreme Leader, one she did not correct. Oh, that stung. He was supposed to be the Supreme Leader, and Nyx, someone who would help him lead. An advisor of sorts.

He will be asking her about that later.

In the meantime, Kylo focused his attention back on the subject of Schaeffer. “What has Schaeffer done to the First Order so far?” How long has it been since he assumed control of the First Order? Only a day or two?

The Exigency was far from Schaeffer’s ship-of-command. He may not have had time to ruin anything for the non-humans on Reveille’s old ship, but he could only guess what was happening on the Finalizer.

He knew Schaeffer to be a ruthless man. Some would say on the same level as Kylo, and some, beyond Kylo. He would have to be prepared to strike Schaeffer without a warning.

~~

“Getting you kicked out of Oga’s Cantina was completely accidental,” Valo defended. In the end, though, it had worked out for them, for Reveille was forced to talk to them and consider her other options.

“I think the pink hair suits you,” Poe chimed in. “It softens you up. The color in your wardrobe does wonders to making you look like a completely new person.”

Oola mentally urged Poe to shut up before their bantering devolved into a fight. Not now. Not when they had so much to discuss.

Leia’s line of though led her to the same path. “What exactly led you to leave the First Order and land yourself all the way on Batuu?” She would begin her own line of questions for Reveille.

She still had to see if they could trust the woman to be on their side, or if they should throw her in the prison on Cloud City.

~~

Lavinia felt nothing at his continued swipes at her and Kos’tel’lanni. After a while, they would only grow old and predictable. It may have stung a little, but it was something she needed to get over quickly.

Borran moved to Armitage’s side, a reminder of what he could do if the man tried anything, and to help him if he lost his balance due to the binders on his wrists.

Tanis led them off the ship, with Lavinia flanking her. The city was as busy as one would’ve expected, and Borran kept a closer eye on Hux, in case the crowds separated them, or if Armitage took advantage of said crowds.

The cat trotted alongside Armitage as close as she could. She was not amused by the crowds, and Millicent vocalized her displeasure more than once. But she wanted to stay closer to Armitage.

Rani didn’t want to answer Kylo, and she was surprised when she didn’t need to. “Not much, yet.” It was Jinah who spoke. He had been in the hangar, of course, and his kyber spear’s tip glowed with an angry energy, but he didn’t launch it. He had stayed out of sight, and out of mind, by most – even Rani.

“He had a bit of a struggle to claim the top position, and he is still settling Order, but he’s begun to execute those who question him on the spot.” Humans and non-humans alike. “We were lucky to be in Lothal during all of this.”

It had been Rani’s idea after Armitage vanished. They needed to protect their investment in Lothal, after all.

Did he warn them that Schaeffer had a gift from Tarkin?

No. He decided that no, he didn’t, as Nyx gave a calm nod, “Thank you,” she didn’t know him, and the Force was weak in him – but present. Curious.

The ship moved under their feet, and launched into lightspeed.

~***~

Accidental or not, it had happened, and Reveille intended to report it. Though, she only seethed under Poe’s words about her hair. ‘That was the idea.’ Terex was a genius. Terrible, but a genius.

Leia didn’t allow further comment on that line, disrupting before Reveille could snap something, or Poe could add more – or Finn’s laughter could become too obvious. She asked about her departure from the Order.

It was an answer she needed, and Reveille knew that. It still didn’t feel as if there was a true answer, or a way to simplify it. Part of it was the fact all the emotions were mounting and getting to her, but others were just realizations piling up, that it wasn’t all Snoke.

But saying the Order was built on a terrible foundation was still not something she could do. “Kos’tel’lanni worked with your spy, Lavinia. When we met, General Organa, there had never been any real discussion between the Resistance and the First Order, as I’m sure you’re aware. Snoke forbade it, likely to protect his precious prodigy, but also to prevent any sharing of ideas or compromise. The Order knew fear. Without fear, it didn’t work. I knew it, but I didn’t understand it until I realized Kos’tel’lanni had to die for the Order.”

She had used fear. She had used many tools, but realizing there was no way to spare Kos’tel’lanni without throwing the Order into chaos or questioning leadership…she’d understood what the Order was, at its core, despite what she wanted. “I suppose years of thinking the Order wasn’t dependent on fear, it just used it, were shattered. I couldn’t stay. It wasn’t what I wanted it to be…and changing an organization that large wasn’t going to happen.”

It was cowardly, and she knew it. She could have stayed and fought. “I suspect you know something about that,” Leia had left the Senate, after all. She didn’t know if it was a stretch to try and look for understanding, but it was a hope, all the same.

~***~

It was occasionally difficult for Armitage to maintain his balance, not because of the binders, so much as the cat that kept weaving through his feet and yowling up at him. ‘Well at least she isn’t trying to play with the poncho.’ Which had tassels on it, he noticed, to his immense irritation.

Nonetheless, he didn’t attempt to make a fuss. He followed with the group, letting Tanis lead them on.

Kos’tel’lanni kept behind, watching Millicent, to make sure she wouldn’t get lost.

Eventually, they would make it to the ship, and into his new hell. “So where is it we’re going now?” Armitage dared to ask.

Kos’tel’lanni forced herself not to shrug. In truth, she didn’t know, and she looked to Borran and Tanis, “You two have managed to stay off of First Order radar, and Resistance,” perhaps they knew some secrets to continue doing just that, and remain unaffiliated. It might mean dealing with criminals, but that was likely better than the Order. And better than the Resistance, for Armitage’s sake. He wasn’t exactly repentant.

Kylo lifted one eyebrow as Jinah began to speak. He shifted his head over to the miraluka, whom he had forgotten about until now.

Was he also able to feel the death of someone? Did he feel Reveille’s death, one which Kylo did not? Or was he too weak with the Force?

Schaeffer had begun to show his true colors, one that most had only guessed at from his history as a graduate of the Cadet Program.

“If this is what he’s doing, I wonder how many while stop us from killing him.” He had turned to speak to Nyx, offering his thoughts as he considered what was next for them.

And he still wished to discuss with her the title of Supreme Leader.

~~

Heavy silence settled in the air as everyone processed what Reveille told them. At its core, it was only what they had already believed, but finally, people in the Order were seeing the same thing, even if it did come too late.

A few billion lives too late.

Poe was the one to make the first remark.”So your mind was only changed when things became personal for you.” He sounded bitter. Because she was the one affected by First Order procedures, she now wanted to change things.

Leia shot him a look that sobered him up. “No matter how it happened, the important thing is that views are shifting, which will lead to great change.” Reveille had been the Grand Marshall, which meant she had a loyal following behind her. If others listened to her logic for defecting to begin with, then maybe they would be willing to change how the First Order operated.

And she had a point. Leia knew a little something about her position, even if the two situations were far different. “And would you have any plans on reestablishing the First Order in your vision?”

~~

Lavinia would let Borran and Tanis talk for themselves. She didn’t know where they would be going either. As they boarded the ship, she silently headed for the cabin areas with a goal in mind: ransack Tanis’ wardrobe for something else to put on.

Neither one paid her attention as she left. “We manage to stay off their radars because we try and only deal in jobs that are unaffiliated with either side, but with every passing day, that is getting harder and harder,” Borran sighed.

“But we do what we can,” Tanis piped up, pressing a button for the ramp to ascend once they all gathered on, including the mewling cat.

“We may have another potential job on Taris, so we’re heading there for now, and we’ll probably be there for at least a day,” she continued. As she talked, Borran sat in the pilot’s seat to prepare the ship for departure.

“Fear remains a powerful tool. As does reward,” Nyx noted to Kylo, “It remains possible that the fear of you, and thought of reward for killing you, shall motivate some to stand against us, even if they do not like Schaeffer.”

Some would like Schaeffer, of course. Likely not any other cadet, but people of the older Empire who were against non-humans. Nyx tilted her head then, and raised her voice, “Show my people to the ships they will use to access the ships in the Core.”

More than the Finalizer would fall. They would all be subdued. It would only take a few to each ship.

“Where am I to go?” Thenn asked.

“You’ll stay here,” Nyx indicated, “The other ships will have fighting on them.”

Thenn pouted, “I wanna help!”

“You will be more help here,” she answered, “This ship needs watched, too, no matter how it seems now,” she dropped her voice for that, Rani eying her suspiciously but not coming closer to hear. Still, Nyx was aware.

Rani would indeed need to be watched.

~***~

‘Do you think FN-2187 would be here if it hadn’t gotten personal for him?’ It was, very much, what Reveille wanted to ask Poe, and she would have, if Leia hadn’t interrupted. She bit the inside of her cheek, and kept it in check.

Best not to antagonize it further.

“Honestly, I don’t care what happens after the Order is taken down,” Reveille answered, “I’m leaving the galaxy as you know it.” That remained her plan, “But I can’t abide Darth Nyx and Kylo Ren at the helm. I know what they’re capable of, and I know what it will mean for the galaxy – and where I’m going.”

There would be no safety for anyone, anywhere. “I can’t speak for my brother if he’s out there,” and that was part of why she’d also leave. He might want to continue with his plans to rebuild the Empire, “but our goals are no longer aligned.”

She’d stopped caring, somewhere through it all. “Honestly I think the New Republic is still an atrocious system and you all need to learn something about organization and hierarchy, but,” she shrugged, “You’re not the New Republic, so it doesn’t really matter what I say to you. I’m sure you don’t care much if the galaxy goes back to bickering over funding for a statue over funding for a starving world.”

She used to.

~***~

Armitage’s gaze followed Lavinia briefly as she left the area. Kos’tel’lanni nodded to the idea of where they were going. “That world is disgusting,” Armitage noted.

“It is,” she agreed. It was literally polluted, but its people were also severely divided between the two classes. The wealthy stayed safe and healthy while the poor suffered in the polluted wastelands, eeking out a living, “But the First Order has little presence there,” because of those reasons, but also because it was in the Outer Rim.

It wasn’t so important to their wider goals. “I think that will be sufficient. A day should give us time to consider things on our own side, as well.”

She supposed they could help Borran and Tanis, as well, but she wasn’t going to volunteer immediately. There was…a lot to consider.

“They would be foolish to try and kill me.” Before, Kylo could stop any officer and their blaster bolts. And now, with the Nightsisters? It would be a death sentence for those foolish enough to challenge him.

He frowned. Thenn were to remain on the ship, while he and Nyx, and the others were to temporarily leave for the other ships in the Core. “Let us know of anything who seems suspicious, or anyone who threatens you.” Kylo didn’t imagine that Nyx would leave her completely alone, not when she still had much to learn with the Force. But what if she did?

Then he would add yet another thing to discuss with Nyx.

But first they would deal with assuming full control over the First Order. They would fall easily. They had nothing that could withstand the Force of the Nightsisters.

~~

Reveille’s leaving the galaxy had been news to all. None were worried or troubled by her endgame decision, but very few admitted to going outside of their known galaxy, to the Unknown Regions, but few grew curious as to where she spoke of that would be affected by Kylo Ren and Darth Nyx at the helm of the First Order.

Leia had her complaints about the New Republic system, that she would admit. But Poe had his own comments he wanted to share. “And stripping a populated planet of its resources or enslaving children is any better?”

“We are not here to bicker over the intentions, or lack thereof, of each system.” If they did, Leia would leave to grab a flask of whiskey.

Oola helped direct the subject away from a potential argument, and fight, between Poe and Reveille. “What informant do you know that could help us gain an advantage over the First Order? Right now, we are hilariously outgunned.”

~~

“It may be a disgusting wasteland, but it’s home sweet home.” Tanis sat in a chair that she immediately twirled to face them. “Beauty can still be found deep within the ghettos of the poor district.”

In that moment, Lavinia returned, dressed in a completely different outfit than she had on when she left for the quarters. Her tunic was a pale purple, with matching wraps encapsulating her arms. Pants were of an earthy green, and boots of a similar color, albeit quite worn out.

Lavinia was happy that she and Tanis shared the same shoe size, even if the rest of her outfit may have been a little loose. Not tremendously so to cause her issues. Like if she needed to quickly run and escape.

“Where are we going?” Her arms crossed over her chest, steps moving her over to Tanis.

The woman grinned as she saw Lavinia in the different clothes. “Taris,” she simply responded.

Lavinia did not look amused. One eyebrow rose. “The last time you took me there, I left with a giant scar on my hip. By the way,” she glanced at Kos’tel’lanni, “if you want something else to wear, she should have something for you, although any pants may be a few inches too short.”

Thenn nodded several times to Kylo’s request, “I will!” She agreed.

Eventually, the ships did reach First Order space. Rani turned away to speak to Schaeffer on a comm device, lying about Lothal being attacked, and transports taking damage – the needed to abandon it, the need to get repairs done as soon as possible and return to Lothal as a group.

Schaeffer, for his part, just sounded exasperated.

Nyx motioned Kylo to follow her to one of the vessels they would use – a slightly damaged transport.

Thenn was left with two other Sisters on the Exigency, while the transport was piloted by Exigency crew – silent, stiff – to the Finalizer.

~***~

“I’m surprised you went with that over citing the Hosnian System,” Reveille didn’t refrain from a comment there, managing it before Leia interjected again. Of course, the Hosnian system was not her idea, nor anything she agreed with, but she doubted Poe knew as much.

Oola then shifted, and Reveille arched an eyebrow, “I cut and ran, Oola. Everyone I knew thinks I’m dead. I don’t have informants.”

“Oh bullshit,” Finn called her out, “You were the spymaster of the Order. You have informants. And you have a way to even the playing field or you wouldn’t be here.”

Reveille arched a brow at Finn. Perhaps she should be flattered he spoke to her reputation? She wasn’t certain on being called out in such a way. “I admit, I’m not wholly without a notable contact. Terex.” Who she knew both Poe and Finn would know.

Finn let out a groan, “The slaver?”

“Don’t listen to everything Phasma tells you, Phasma hated him,” for good reason, but, “Given the information I’ve learned, I also suspect that the Exigency can be taken and removed from the Order. It was my ship. My crew. Mostly headed by non-humans, and the first to witness Kylo’s ousting from the Order and the reasons why. They’ll not have any love for this group.”

Perhaps some would, but those would be dealt with. The numbers were against them.

“Wait, you want to steal a destroyer?” Finn was startled. This was the kind of talk he expected from…well, Poe.

“It would even things. And are you not in contact with Governor Tarkin, General Organa? He has his own notable navy, and the edge we need against the Nightsisters.”

~***~

Kos’tel’lanni smiled, but shook her head, “I appreciate the offer, but for the moment I believe I shall stick with this,” it at least wasn’t too terribly tight, or too short. She didn’t really want to go rifling through the closet of someone she didn’t know, even if she’d offered much the same to others.

“I don’t suppose I can get a wardrobe change?” The sarcasm wasn’t lost, and Kos’tel’lanni could only look with amusement as Millicent batted at the tassels.

“I think Milli likes it,” perhaps later, but right then, she didn’t want to try and pull off the poncho. He was lucky he wasn’t tied right back up to a chair. Perhaps that was why he avoided sitting, though.

Kos’tel’lanni would move to take a seat as they got underway. “What’s the story of this scar?” She invited Lavinia to explain, as Armitage just accepted his fate.

At least Millicent was happy.

For now, Rani seemed to play along with their plans. She would still be watched for any behind-the-scenes treason, but she cooperated in front of everyone.

And Schaeffer so easily played into the lies. His death would be a sweet victory. And public, before everyone’s eyes to let them know who truly was in charge of them.

Kylo followed Nyx onto one of the vessels. He wanted to comment on her choice of transport, but if looked like the ship came straight from a battle, then Schaeffer would be less likely to question it at first.

Until they stepped out, and he realized what was going on.

“I am assuming we are to kill Schaeffer upon sight?” The answer seemed obvious to him, but Nyx proved to be more patient and calculating than Kylo. If there was an alternate plan, she would let him know.

~~

Stealing a star destroyer. “I suppose far crazier things have been done before,” Leia sighed. The Rebellion succeeded through a series of seemingly impossible tasks, with stealing the Death Star plans from Scarif coming to mind. The Resistance, too, have succeed in crazy accomplishments.

Poe Dameron looked more than ready. Destroying a star destroyer? Already done that. Stealing one? Sounded like a great time.

Leia shot Poe a look, as if she could read his mind. “I am in contact with Governor Tarkin, and although it’s not under the most amicable terms right now, I’m sure that he will agree that these Nightsisters need to be stopped.”

They would have to set aside their differences and familial past in order to work together, which could only go as well as she believed.

“I suppose you don’t want to come back from the dead and contact someone no the ship, do you?” Valo was in slight disbelief over their idea of stealing a star destroyer, but if what Reveille said was true, and that many on her ship would be willing to help them turn against Kylo Ren and the Nightsisters, then it just might be possible.

~~

Millicent’s batting at the tassels redirected Lavinia’s focus over to Armitage for a moment. His binders were hidden by the poncho, and she had a brief moment of fear that he would slip them off again. Although it was four against one, she knew he could be ruthless when it came to fighting.

Kos’tel’lanni asked her about the scar, to which she sighed. “It’s a long story, but short version? A job went wrong, I got into a fight with a Mandalorian, and he managed to stabbed me in the hip with his vibroknife before I escaped.”

It had been intense, radiating pain, and somehow, she escaped with only that one scar to prove the encounter. She wouldn’t expand more on the nature of the job.

They didn’t need to know the details.

“It was a pretty bad ass fight though,” Borran commented as he brought the ship into hyperdrive. Lavinia snorted. Naturally he would think that.

‘It won’t be that easy.’

Nyx did not vocalize the thought. It would still be easy enough, but Schaeffer was unlikely to be waiting for them in the hangar. Orders would go out to kill them as soon as it was obvious what was going on. They would have to pacify an entire crew, for the most part. Wholesale slaughter would not win them many allies.

Nyx shook her head to Kylo’s question, “No. We let him hang himself first.” Then they’d finish the job when they had worked through his own trap and forced him to confront them. With any luck, he would give them reason to kill him, or Nyx could find one.

The problem rested in getting him to come to them, for indeed, as the hangar docked, and the ramp lowered, they would step out into a hangar with the standard crew and Troopers.

Many who would pause at the sight of her, and others who would begin to radio to Schaeffer and others about the other who walked onto the hangar floor.

~***~

Reveille glanced back to Valo, as Leia seemed strangely in agreement with the plan. “If I make any contact to anyone on that ship prior to the plan being enacted, there is a good chance the new leadership will find out and thwart our plan. They’re mind-readers. I may have allies, but they’re all compromised.”

“Yeaaaah,” Finn could agree with that, “That could be a problem,” he folded his arms over his chest, “But how are you gonna deal with a ship full of Force sensitives, anyways?”

“They’ve probably divided their numbers across the Order’s ships. The Finalizer and Supremacy should have the bulk of them. The Exigency may have a good number if it’s over Lothal, but no one like Kylo.” She hoped, “If, General Organa, you can convince Governor Tarkin to help, his stealth ship, or Terex’s stealth ship, can get us close enough to a hangar. I can get a message through on encrypted paths that way, and we’ll be on the ship before anyone knows what’s happening. With Tarkin’s force-hindering items, the Force sensitives on the ships will be like any other soldier.”

Skilled – but they could handle it. If Tarkin had enough. Not to mention the backup from Exigency crew.

~***~

Kos’tel’lanni and Hux both wondered what sort of job led to a fight with a mandolorian. Lavinia chose not to elaborate on it, preferring a short story. “You have a habit of pissing off people, don’t you?” Armitage asked. Reveille. Now himself. Some mandolorian. She apparently could still make friends, but he was going to insist on being bitter.

Kos’tel’lanni ignored him, “From what I hear, surviving a mandolorian hunter is something worth bragging about,” she had no plans of finding out for herself, but she knew how seriously some could take it, so much so they could just be called mandolorian and people were concerned.

Even if there were plenty of other types of mandolorian citizens out there. “Do you have other scars?”

Kylo wouldn’t let his guard down concerning Schaeffer. He held familiar thoughts concerning the man, even if he vocalized the opposite. He had become Supreme Leader for a reason; he was cunning, scheming, ruthless, and intelligent. They would all have to be on high alert.

Just like they would have to be on high alert as they exited the ship, and everyone realized they weren’t part of the Exigency crew, or of the First Order at all.

They may have been confused when Nyx stepped out, but once Kylo did? A murmur and slow grow of panic would spread as they realized what was going on.

He turned to her, waiting for further instruction of what she wanted them to do next. They could slaughter until everyone bowed before them, but that would create fear. Fear was what drove Rani to contact Nyx to begin with, and it could lead further insurgencies against him.

Kylo wanted to do this right this time.

~~

Contacting someone in the First Order would not happen. Reveille was right. Not only did they had to deal with Kylo, but now there was a whole team of Nightsisters who could easily discover their plans. Unless there was another Force user in the First Order who didn’t work with the Nightsisters, they would need another way in.

And Reveille’s plan was daring, but if it succeeded? “I may be able to get Governor Tarkin’s help, but the man carries his family’s name well. You’re familiar with Governor Tarkin, right? Maybe you’ll be able to help me convince him of aiding us.”

Leia was easily irritated by his aloof nature, and didn’t wish to deal with him alone, but she didn’t announce those reasons to Revielle. She didn’t need to know.

“So those force-hindering items are true?” Valo asked. He had heard rumors before, but he thought they were just that. Rumors and nothing more.

“How do they work, exactly?” Oola looked at Reveille, intrigued by the technology. “Can they completely disable their ability to use the Force?”

~~

Tanis heard Armitage’s snide comment about Lavinia, and she couldn’t help her snort. “You have no idea.” Their own friendship hadn’t been completely stable from the beginning, but Tanis had been as much to blame for those reasons.

Lavinia shot her friend a quick glance before returning to Kos’tel’lanni’s comments. “It was sheer luck that I managed to survive after he had stabbed me.”

“And skill for not getting killed in the first few seconds.” Borran turned away from the viewport once the ship had entered lightspeed.

She scoffed. “Sure it was. But to answer your question, I do have other scars. There’s one on my upper arm,” she pointed to her right arm as she mentioned it, “that I received after an accident with a speeder bike as a teenager. Then I have another scar on my left side,” opposite where she had been sliced in the explosion on Corulag, “from a blaster bolt.”

Nyx could feel that fear begin to rise as they stepped into the hangar. Blasters rose, though they hesitated to fire, waiting to hear more from their boss. It didn’t take long, and the command came forward. “FIRE!” An officer directed.

“Do not harm,” Nyx said, loudly enough that she’d be overheard by several nearby them, before the blaster shots came towards them. She didn’t so much as lift her hand, but when the shots came towards her, they slowed, and then, crashed into each other.

It’d be too much to send them all in different directions, and she’d risk causing that harm she worried about. However, the shots were all close together and closing in on each other. She could redirect them into each other to make sure none struck her, and none did any harm.

Kylo might understand now why it was a poor idea to bring Thenn. This was likely happening on most of the ships, now that Schaeffer was aware.

Nyx knew they’d have to endure one barrage, at least, before they could speak.

~***~

“I never had the chance to examine one,” Reveille answered, “But they work. Kylo Ren confirmed it when we met Governor Tarkin. We were going to have an alliance with him,” until her own brother fucked that all up. Lothal was a mistake. So, of course, he went to Leia instead to be on the side where his interests were better supported.

She did offer, “I can help to convince him,” she was surprised to be invited, but she wouldn’t show that. She wouldn’t think Leia would want to run the risk of the pair of them conspiring more than they should. “We spoke after our formal alliance broke off to find Kylo Ren, after the scientist Demici went missing.”

By now, Demici was likely dead, “It’s why I’m certain he wouldn’t mind this plan in the least.” That, and a few casual complaints about the lack of fighting.

~***~

Well, at least Tanis confirmed it for Hux. He wasn’t anymore thrilled to hear it. He couldn’t imagine how he’d ever end up on good terms again, like Tanis and Borran seemed to be. He wasn’t sure why Kos’tel’lanni remained on good terms after this ended her career.

Apparently Lavinia had also not avoided scars in her life, either.

Kos’tel’lanni just managed a chuckle, “I suppose it is good that I never asked you to teach me how to ride a speeder properly.”

Hux just rolled his eyes, and leaned back against the wall. The cuffs bothered him. The poncho bothered him. Millicent had grown bored of it and clearly wanted him to sit so she’d have a place, but he wasn’t going to do that.

Kylo heard the commands, first from the officer then from Nyx, demanding them to not harm anyone. Pity. But he obeyed. If they wanted the Order to fall to them somewhat willingly, the number of deaths had to be low, at least until command was handed to them.

Similar to Nyx, Kylo lifted one hand, willing the blaster bolts to slow. They crashed into each other. They crashed into the floor. With no effort, he ensured that none of the shots reached their intended targets as the officers kept firing.

Although a few Nightsisters remained behind with Thenn, he wondered if the crew of the Exigency would attempt to attack them as well, now that most of the other Nightsisters, and himself, were on other ships.

Nothing would contain his wrath if anything happened.

The officers were becoming aware that their shots did nothing, and as the time between bolts slowed down, Kylo could send the fear, panic, and trepidation increase in the hangar. Good. Let them feel fear.

~~

Looks were exchanged when Reveille confirmed that the force hindering objects worked. It could changed things, make victory against Kylo Ren possible. Leia felt guilt for what she knew may happen to her son in the end, but she had started to accept the reality.

Her son may no longer exist. Instead, a shell of a person mutated by Snoke’s influence stood in his place. She still held on to hope, but she knew the possibility of any bit of Ben left in him was diminishing by the day. If it came down to it, Leia would have to make the difficult decision of killing her own son.

For the better of the galaxy.

She turned to Valo. “Please remove her cuffs.” She shifted back to Reveille. “Don’t think this means we’ll let our guard down.” Her point was emphasized with the raising of one eyebrow. Valo had moved over to the woman, where he proceeded to unlock her cuffs and place them back in his belt.

~~

Lavinia could only grin. “To be fair, I was very young, and I was attempting to do this trick maneuver to impress a guy.” And instead, she managed to slice part of her arm open during the wipeout.

“Oh, so that’s what you were doing? I thought that had been your first time on a speeder bike.” Borran remembered the day well; they had only met for the first time a few days prior to the incident, when Lavinia finally had figured out how to escape from her parents for a few hours.

“It might as well have been.” Not only did she hurt her arm that day, but her dignity took a great beating as well. “So, what is it exactly you’re doing on Taris?”

Tanis shifted in her seat, one leg crossing over the other. “Well, I’m sure you’re already familiar with the animosity between the rich and poor?” Lavinia only nodded before she continued. “The people are fed up with the corruption, crime, and hunger. Insurgencies have started in the lower levels, and in retaliation, the elite have placed embargoes on the lower levels. No one, or nothing, can go in and out without proper clearance.”

“As a result,” Borran had continued, “famine and disease have spread throughout the lower levels.”

“A clear attempt to weaken the people to the point where they can’t fight back. Right now, we have a few containers with food and medicine to at least be able to help some of my people.”

The blaster fire would reduce, and as it cleared, the soldiers would see that nothing had hit the two. Nor were any of them stricken down. Nyx stepped forward a few steps, gaze calm, voice calm, “My name is Darth Nyx,” she introduced to the First Order crew, “I have been called in to intervene due to the leadership in the Order. I worked with the Empire before, Darth Vader’s apprentice. I am here to make sure that the Order does not go astray, does not lose focus, in senseless slaughter.”

“Rani called you,” it was Schaeffer, the man in white stepping into the hangar, not appearing terribly surprised. Nyx looked towards him – and felt nothing. A momentary surge of panic rushed through her as she realized he was disconnected from the Force in such a way, but it didn’t show through.

She’d heard of this being worked on – but she thought they had finished it when they took and killed Demici. Apparently, Tarkin had some toys to spare.

It wouldn’t be enough. “Yes,” Nyx confirmed, “She has informed me of your desire to slaughter or enslave all non-humans.”

“Yes – as the Empire did,” he gave her a once over, “Putting your claims into question.”

“The Empire did not have such a desire as that, as you’ll recall Grand Admiral Mitth’raw’nuruodo.”

Schaeffer scoffed. “It doesn’t matter. The galaxy will only find order in unity, and unity of leadership. You have no place here.”

Nyx’s head inclined slightly, a daring look on her face, “We can work this out, Schaeffer.”

“No. We can’t.” And in a blur of white he was before her, and she narrowly avoided the cut of his dagger at her neck. She stepped back and illuminated her lightsaber and slashed out at him, but he evaded with ease, “Open fire!”

And the blasters came again, and Nyx realized one terrible thing – she was in the bubble of whatever Schaeffer had, that protected him from the Force. She couldn’t block the blaster fire.

~***~

Reveille did not believe this meant that General Organa was going to let her guard down. “You’d be a fool to do so,” she stated, meaning, at any time. Twenty years into the future, Leia would be a fool to let her guard down, with anyone, but especially her.

In either case, she was relieved to be out of the cuffs. She resisted the urge to massage at either wrist when they were off. They hadn’t been on too long. She wasn’t in any real pain.

Finn didn’t look too pleased, but he managed to keep silent. Even if he wanted to protest that she could stay in those a little longer. That they really shouldn’t trust her at all at this point. He just said it in a look to Leia, which he knew would likely get no response, either.

“I don’t suppose I get a room to wait in before we speak with Governor Tarkin, or are we to go do that immediately?” She didn’t know what Leia’s next steps were, but she knew she couldn’t demand things. Though, if she was working with them, a place to stay until she got her ship back would be useful.

~***~

Of course Lavinia liked Borran. Of course. That was why he was so quick to come to her rescue each time, a past relationship. Hux wasn’t surprised by the revelation of Lavinia attempting to impress him. ‘After all she tried to do for the Order….’ Perhaps it made sense. That was her way of trying to garner affection. She had done significant things for the Order in establishing resource connections, and researching potential allies.

And she had already claimed to have developed feelings for him, to her detriment. To his own detriment. He should have questioned each thing further, but he assumed it was all for the good of the Order. That she was good for the Order, but no, of course not.

And the mission Borran and Tanis were on hardly sounded lucrative, “Is this what you’ve done with the money I gave you? This hardly sounds like a job that pays much,” Armitage noted.

“No,” Kos’tel’lanni agreed, “but it is doing something to help, isn’t it?” She shot him a look, and he couldn’t argue it.

Kos’tel’lanni wondered what Hux might do, and she wondered if they could leave him here on Taris. Convince him that he could be useful here, in teaching the people how to fight back, how to take over, and how to rebuild. He could start small, and work his way back up, perhaps.

She knew, at least, that he and Reveille had a certain distaste for the elite rich who didn’t help those they led.

Kylo stayed back as Nyx spoke, even though he knew they wouldn’t listen. He smelled their fear. Their anger. Schaeffer stepped into the hanger, and the emotions intensified. Most of it came from him, though not the fear.

Schaeffer had no fear. Interesting. But, there was something else…

Nothing else could be felt. The Force didn’t surround him like it did with other living beings. Kylo had only sensed this once before. Tarkin. The damned governor must have had some of the Force-hindering technology hidden away.

His eyes widened before he let a cool gaze fall back over them. No worries. They could still defeat Schaeffer. He was still only a man amongst Kylo and the Nightsisters.

The fire started again. Kylo ignited his lightsaber and deflected the blaster bolts that headed their way. Nyx was in Schaeffer’s bubble of Force-hindering tech, and so Kylo moved around them, protecting her as he could, deflecting the blaster fire with a combination of his lightsaber and his own Force abilities.

Kylo wanted to turn and stab Schaeffer with his lightsaber, but he knew if he unfocused himself from the blaster fire for one second, it could mean death for Nyx.

~~

Leia made no comment to Reveille’s comment. I know I would be a fool. She would be a fool no more. No after the years of politics she had to put up with. After harboring false hope for what can not be changed.

Once the cuffs were off, Valo only took a step back, opting to remain directly behind the two chairs rather than his initial position a few feet further away. Despite his friendly nature towards Reveille, he, too, knew he would be a fool to let his guard down.

Leia noticed Finn’s look, but she said, or motioned, nothing in response. “I have a few matters of importance to attend to first, and not to mention I will need to get into contact with Governor Tarkin before we’re able to discuss where to go from here. In the meantime,” her gaze shifted to Oola, “I believe there’s an extra bunk in your quarters?”

The togruta didn’t hesitate before answering, “Yes, General.” Oola could protect herself if the need came, and Valo stayed right across the corridor from her. There would be plenty of security.

Leia nodded. “Good. You may show her to your quarters then, and I will call you when it is time.”

Oola nodded and rose to her feet. “Come, it’s not that far from here.” Valo shifted to follow them as well, more so out of habit than to ensure Reveille couldn’t pull a surprise escape on them.

~~

“We don’t do this for the money.” Tanis was quick to defend their actions. “We do this for the chance that a sick mother may wake up the next morning, or for kids to not go to sleep with their bellies empty. Yes, we’ve set aside a good portion of that money to make sure we can buy fuel and food, but the rest we try to invest in those that need it more.”

Lavinia felt a swell of pride for her friend. Despite some shady deals Tanis may participate in, she did it for what she believed in, which was to help her people and her planet.

She continued, “It’s not like the Republic or the First Order have tried to actually help us. No one has cared about Taris for thousands of years, and there’s no sign that that will change anytime soon.” She had held out that someone would actually care. Senator Andrithal Robb-Voti had actually cared about the lower levels, but then she was killed in the Hosnian Cataclysm, and it seemed that the First Order only cared about the Core Worlds at the moment.

Lavinia scrunched her brows. “Wait a minute, how are you getting past the embargo? Surely there are checkpoints set up all over Taris.” Not even a second later, a wave of realization settled over her. “Oh no, that’s not why you were on Elgit, was it?”

Tanis grinned. “Just a small job for the Hutts in exchange for a clearance code.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back