• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Fight for Control [closed]

The look of sheer astonishment couldn’t be contained from Lavinia’s face as she watched Reveille return to their table, the twi’lek responsible for this holding back her glee as much as she could.

As Reveille delivered her apologies, the bewildered look on her face, eyes wide and mouth slightly parted, never once left. No sarcasm could be detected, and she delivered what Lavinia assumed to be the truths behind her hostilities, many of which echoed what Kos’tel’lanni told her back on the ship, when she returned that red dress.

Reveille walked away, and the furthest thing on her mind to was gloat at her admission of being in the wrong. If she ever wanted a chance at the woman truly tolerating her, or so that Kos’tel’lanni won’t point out her hypocrisy, Lavinia knew what she had to do.

But she probably enjoyed the decision at much as Reveille enjoyed hers.

“Wait, wait!” she called out, rising from her seat to catch up with the woman. Her steps hastened to step in front of her, preventing her the chance to ignore Lavinia and continue to walk away.

“Grand Marshall,” she began similarly to how Reveille addressed her, “I have my own apology to make. I talked to you in a way that is inappropriate of a subordinate officer, and in front of another superior officer nonetheless. I had let my own frustrations get the better of me in a way that is not appropriate of a First Order officer.”

There. She, like Reveille, swallowed her own pride to offer up what she would hope to amount to a truce.

~~

Kylo nodded along to the answer Discord provided. “And if necessary, we hope that this communication will help rally all of the planetary defense systems to protect one another from the First Order.”

He followed the baron to the door, and right before the door was opened, he added one more closing statement. “Expect to hear from us again very soon.” Not a threat, but more of a guarantee of their words and their promises.

Kylo was willing to help those who helped him.

And now that they had their first support, he suspected any other planets they visited would be more likely to agree to their plans. They had backup. They had more allies. And knowing that the First Order was weakened helped their case.

With that backup, the Order would have more trouble securing any more deals without the use of force, which could easily backfire on them in their current state.

His parting words to the baron, “We hope you have a pleasant evening.”

‘Can’t I get one damn moment of peace?’ The moment of peace was probably the moments she’d taken with Terex, but she couldn’t help but wish to be on some cold planet right then, Arkanis coffee in one hand and snow falling outside. She couldn’t help but want the chill that warmed her swirling around her, the promise of fire, and the sting of her ears.

She had wanted that, a comfy lodge, but instead she got Takodana and stupid people.

And Althea.

She paused as Althea came to stand in front of her and speak, explaining her wrong, and apologizing for it, as well. Reveille tried to see it for a lie. Tried to notice anything wrong with it, but she didn’t. She could want to call her out for just apologizing because Reveille had done so, for being insincere, but she didn’t have the energy to fight right then.

“Thank you,” what else was there to say to that? It certainly didn’t wipe the slate clean, but it made their footing more equivocal in acknowledging they’d both done wrong.

~***~

The Baron led them out, accepting, hoping, that he would indeed hear from them soon, or this Darth Nyx. He was curious about a Sith who was willing to be known under that name, and who worked with the supposedly extinct Nightsisters. Then again, how could a religion be extinct? A question for another day, perhaps.

He nodded at the parting words, “Ah, thank you. I hope your endeavors prove fruitful,” he got the sense they weren’t done. Wouldn’t be done for a while, and he would let them go on their own after reaching the door, to move down the steps and back into the city.

“We need to find a ship,” Discord said once they had stepped off those steps and started walking through the city. “Is there anywhere you know to look, here?” Discord certainly didn’t know Corulag enough to know where to find a shipyard to buy a ship.

Particularly one that would fit their needs.

Lavinia knew not to expect anything more from Reveille. Hell, even that simple thank you was more than she anticipated. It was a step in the right direction, but only time would tell if this would be the friendliest that they would get.

She nodded her acknowledgement, stepping off to the side to allow Reveille to continue to the ship. One quick glance over to the two other women, and she knew she had to make some sort of attempt to make some sort of peace between them.

“We would all love if you came back and sit with us.” She placed an emphasis on ‘all,’ indicating her own desire for the same. “It could be a great chance for us to actually get to know one another, without petty drinking games.” Though she didn’t know if Rani had any more planned, or if they were just to simply talk and get to know one another.

Lavinia felt her answer was useless, that Reveille was already set in returning to the ship, but she tried.

~~

Kylo felt that he could breath easier once they had left left the hallways of the palace. He was no longer acting under the pretense of Ben Solo, but rather he was back to Kylo Ren.

Seriously, why did anyone enjoy politics? It was too stifling with many unspoken rules of conduct.

His eyes glanced around their general vicinity, as if the answers they needed were to be found so soon. “As I have never been to this planet before, I do not know where to look.” The secretary at the front desk may have been able to direct them in the way of a shipyard.

But now they were on their own.

“There’s a market not that far from here.” He recalled seeing it on their way to the palace. An outdoor market with a multitude of vendors. “Someone there should be able to point us in the right direction.”

He began in the direction of the market. Given the hour, had Discord even considered a place for them to stay for the evening? She had credits, and they both could manipulate the weak-minded to doing what they wanted, but they still had to find a nondescript place for the evening.

Reveille still doubted immensely that Althea wanted her presence. She wanted to protest. Hadn’t she done enough? She’d dealt with Kylo Ren, she’d tried to play nice here, couldn’t she just go back to the ship and rest? ‘Because that’s the best idea with Kylo Ren still alive, isn’t it? You don’t know what he went to do when he left the ship…to go out there alone, to your ship, would be completely sane, wouldn’t it?’

Maybe this wasn’t her best idea. The sobering thought caused her to sigh and turn back around, “Fine,” she wasn’t thrilled, but it was far better than going somewhere on a pirate-planet alone. Even if Terex was there.

Terex was still more coward than anything else.

She walked back to the others, Rani grinning more, “Seeeee? Was that so hard?”

“Don’t make me assign you cleaning duties, Rani,” Reveille warned, though it was light, perhaps not a sincere threat, as she took her seat, noting the lack of alcohol when she did. She’d left that on the counter. She didn’t mention that right then. “So we’re getting to know each other?”

She almost sounded amused. She knew these two. “Yes,” Rani nodded, “Which I was just going to ask how you got into Armitage’s good graces, Althea!” She said, summoning the woman back to her side with a gesture, “Was it the dress Kos’tel’lanni let you borrow? Or did you pull off something daring? Because he didn’t even let Phasma stay around as his aide!”

“Phasma would have been a terrible aide,” Kos’tel’lanni pointed out.

Reveille considered leaving again. She did not want to talk about her brother and the implications dancing on Rani’s tongue. She could go through three entire bottles of whiskey and not be prepared for that.

~***~

Market.

The word alone inspired the realization that Discord was looking for a ship. Which meant, she was without additional clothing, additional food, and much else. She considered that, and wondered how long the market might remain open, “We have much to gather,” she said to that effect, “We will need a ship of corvette or freighter size, at least, and we will need to supply it with food and other living supplies, as well as clothes and much else,” she was already debating how to set up her space, her entire plan for staying the night anywhere being that ship.

But they would need much. “It may be better to divide and conquer,” as if shopping should be strategic, “You should find where we can locate a ship, and determine what models are available to us. I can gather the rest in the interim,” since Kylo would likely need to travel a bit to find and take a look at the ships.

She gave him a once over, “What sizes do you wear?” He would need new clothing, as well. He couldn’t continue around in just one thing. Perhaps it wouldn’t be armored, but that could come later.

Dathomir would most likely supply him with attire befitting his position in all of this.

They both needed more…civilian attire.

Lavinia smiled at Reveille’s admission of defeat. No a cruel or taunting smile, or a gloating one, but one that expressed her happiness at the decision. Now maybe they could both finally start anew, if at least for those they work closely with.

Naturally Rani was excited that both women returned to the table, and Lavinia took her spot next to Rani at her gesture. But she subsequently wondered if it was worth it. Naturally she would be asked about Armitage, someone she felt awkward talking about in front of Reveille.

“Oh please, you know he can’t be won over by a pretty dress,” she scoffed at the idea. The only mention he made toward the dress was how it was ‘appropriate’ for their mission. “It probably had something to do with my resourcefulness. I managed to arrange last-minute meetings with two doonium suppliers, one of whom who turned out to also have a side hobby of slave trading. I blackmailed him, and managed to snag us a great deal.”

She paused, reflecting on the lecherous nature of Anolo. “Oh, and there was the whole incident on Lothal, where one of Tarkin’s friends tried to kill us, the governor included, before I managed to end him.” Of course leaving out some details, like how she and Armitage had a rather in depth conversation about opera. They didn’t need to know that.

~~

Ah, yes. Kylo hadn’t considered their need for other goods, such as additional clothes or food. He gave a sigh hinting as his irritation. Not at Discord, but at their situation. There was much to be done, after all, and they were on a planet neither knew much about.

“Do you even have enough credits for all of this?” he wondered out loud, as if he was paying anything with credits.

No, he would need to use other means to get the ship. No need for him to win a bet when most were so easy to subjugate to the Force.

He paused, glancing down at his own attire for a second. The prospect of more civilian attire did not sit well with him, but it would help him not stand out as much, this he realized. They needed to lay low.

All black robes on someone who was already physically demanding was not laying low.

So he told her his size, and soon the marketplace came into view, vendors and stalls of all products and goods still haggling their products away. “Meet back here in an hour?” he offered, noting the statue of an unknown figure to him standing at the entrance.

Kos’tel’lanni did offer a consenting nod to that. Resourcefulness and quick thinking were more likely to win Armitage over than a pretty dress. The man had likely seen plenty of beautiful woman and not cared much at all. He may have looked twice, but he certainly didn’t act on it – no doubt some hangups from his father’s behavior remaining with him.

Reveille arched a brow at the mention of the slave trade. She remembered an inquiry about Kasabian, but no one else. “Who was the slaver?”

Rani nodded, “Tell me we’re doing more than blackmailing them, please.” She insisted, always wanting to see slavers brought down. “It’d be good to bring down at least one of them.” The comment was pointed, but Reveille pretended not to know who she was referring to, or that it was pointed.

The matter of Tarkin’s friend wasn’t as interesting, though they certainly all appreciated the death of someone who was a threat. Particularly someone who may have killed Armitage.

~***~

“Does it really concern you?” Discord replied. The amount of funds she had shouldn’t concern him. For all he knew, she’d be using the Force to talk prices down, or receive ‘gifts’ to put in a good word with the Chiss. How she managed it was no concern of Kylo’s. At least he didn’t seem to press it, and she nodded.

She took a look up at the statue, committing its features to memory. “An hour.” She agreed. She’d have to hope that was enough time for him to narrow down a few ships for them to use. “I’ll see you then.” She wouldn’t wait for further instruction now that she knew his sizes.

She didn’t need to delay, and neither did he, if they were to find what was needed before the market closed.

Lavinia nodded. “Anolo was the slaver, as I managed to figure out. I also learned that his boss is against slavery, and she was just so who we happened to see next.”

Was he still alive? She didn’t care one bit, but she did wonder what kind of end he met, if he already did so. He garnered no sympathy from her.

“And that was Aya Kasabian, who was less than pleased to learn of this information. She more or less suggested that Anolo will meet a grisly demise.” She shrugged, expressing no remorse in what she did to the man.

He needed to be brought down. One less slaver in the galaxy was a good thing.

“So now one more slaver is gone, while I managed to lie to him to cut down on the price of doonium by a large margin.” Which ultimately didn’t matter after their meeting with Kasabian.

~~

No, the matter of her credits didn’t concern him, as long as they managed to get everything they needed.

And so he didn’t comment on that matter, but instead he merely nodded at her when she agreed to his suggestion. He hoped they could get most of what they needed, especially that ship and food. Those were pressing concerns.

With the agreement, Kylo went off in search of anyone who could help him secure a shuttle. He asked the first vendor he saw to point him in the right direction, which proved to be fruitless at first, as he had to ask a few more vendors for assistance.

Eventually, he did find the right vendor, a man dressed in finery, surrounded by trinkets and jewels Kylo assumed were worth a pretty credit. “Welcome, my good sir! What can I help you find?”

Kylo didn’t care for the vendor’s outgoing personality, but that hardly mattered. Straight to the point, “I am in search of a shuttle, and I heard you have one for sale?”

The vendor looked pleased at the prospect of a large, and expensive, purchase. “Oh yes, I have several! What size are you looking for?”

“Preferably a corvette.”

The vendor confirmed that he just so happened to have one and listed the price he wanted for the ship. As he didn’t have a single credit to give the man, Kylo utilized the help of the Force to persuade the vendor otherwise.

“You will give me the keys to the ship and tell me where it is.”

A slight pause, then the vendor smiled widely. “Of course.” And he did just that, offering the keys to Kylo before telling him where the shuttle was parked. The name of the location was unknown to him, and after questioning the vendor about it, he took his leave with a slight nod of his head to the vendor.

At least now they had a shuttle. He wondered if Discord had succeeded in her own tasks.

A wicked grin spread across Rani’s lips at the mention of Anolo’s boss, and that he was likely to suffer. “Good.” She hoped he suffered for a while. She hoped it was agony for all the lives that he helped to destroy, all the families he tore apart. “I can see why Armitage would want to keep you around then. Putting down slavers and getting a good price on doonium are definitely not normal skills.”

“But quite necessary for the higher offices,” Kos’tel’lanni agreed.

“I may want to meet this Kasabian, though,” Rani mused, “She sounds like my kind of woman. Think we can get her in the Order?”

Reveille didn’t speak up to say she doubted it, or to imply that Kasabian might have to take a fall, like so many other wealthy criminals. The consideration of her role in removing the slavers would have to be considered, in the future, as they took on the galaxy. Kasabian may see a reward of sorts, or perhaps allowed to rule the planet she worked on, but it was unlikely she’d ever truly join the Order.

~***~

Zeme’lodi’csapla was able to navigate the market for clothes, and foodstuff, among other things. She did not gather too much, a week’s worth for each of them, mostly standard clothing, although she made sure to grab formal wear, just in case – Kylo had a role as a prince to play up, in some areas.

She did pay, for most of it, although she talked the prices down, haggling.

People didn’t often remember that.

They remembered when they were cheated of credits entirely.

Eventually, utilizing the Force a bit for strength and to make a few bags hover inconspicuously around her, Zeme’lodi’csapla returned to the statue to find Kylo Ren there, waiting. She nodded as she returned to him. “Do you have a seller?” She assumed she would be buying the ship.

The compliment Rani delivered brought a smile to Lavinia’s face. Armitage may have briefly mentioned the tremendous help she was that day, but to further hear it only validated her and how she deserved to be there. She could only hope it would help Reveille see that she wasn’t a threat, that she did deserve that position.

But you are a threat to her. She didn’t need to know that.

Lavinia hesitated a moment, as it was clear that the alliance with Kasabian wasn’t known yet to many others, but she didn’t see the harm in mentioning it to the present women. “Well, that may be a possibility. Armitage struck an alliance with her in exchange for the resources she offered, which was more than just doonium.”

~~

Kylo didn’t have to wait long for Discord to make her return, all sorts of bags surrounding her. He didn’t immediately offer to help her, rather waited for her to mention that she needed it.

She obviously had things handled.

He reached into his pocket and took out the keys to their new shuttle, dangling them in her line of sight. “I have a ship,” he answered, placing them back in his pocket. “A corvette, stored in a warehouse about a half a mile away.”

He figured she would be happier this way. One less thing to spend credits on, and they didn’t have to waste anymore time figuring out what to do about a ship. They now had a means to escape the planet should they need it.

Rani clapped her hands together once at that thought, “Oh good! Something like an exclusive contract with her, then? I’m sure that’ll help to get things up and running again – I know we now have to replace an entire dreadnaught, and continue repairs on the Supremacy, so the doonium is gonna help a lot.”

“Mm, with our solidification of the Sienar Fleets alliance, and Lothal, it will make our ability to gather ships and doonium that much easier,” Kos’tel’lanni agreed, “Though the cost may yet be high for that,” Tarkin, her own failure, still lingered.

“Oh psh, don’t focus on that,” Rani dismissed it immediately. “We made some strides and we’re gonna wipe the floor with Tarkin and the Resistance!”

“I’ll remind you all not to talk so much about our business here,” Reveille noted in a bit of a bored tone.

Rani clapped hands over her lips immediately.

~***~

Discord stared at the keys for far longer than she needed to, assessing what was likely done. She heaved a sigh, “You didn’t pay for that, did you?” She didn’t even think he had a datapad on him, though admittedly, she hadn’t checked or asked. She just assumed with his departure from the Order he wouldn’t have one.

He was abandoning the ship , after all.

“Next time please keep in mind we are far less noticeable when we haggle for lower prices. It is likely whoever you took that from is going to start talking about it soon,” and then it’d be known they were here, without need of the Baron talking about them.

It wouldn’t be long before the description was matched with Kylo Ren. “Let’s just hurry off the planet.” Before that started.

Lavinia chuckled a bit at Rani’s antics, and she decided to not say any more on the matter of Kasabian, or any other First Order deals. They were on Takodana to forget about all of that.

“Anyways,” she waved away that topic with a motion of her hand, “tell me more about yourselves. Such as, I don’t know, what is it you enjoy doing when not on shift?” She recalled asking Armitage a very similar question, and that leading to their discussion of their similar tastes in music.

So she wondered about the others. Did they have similar interests? She knew they had to have had hobbies that didn’t concern the First Order. Maybe there would even be more common interests amongst them.

~~

Kylo felt no guilt in the assumption Discord threw his way. They needed a ship, and he didn’t want to waste any more time when he had the means to secure it right then.

“It’s likely he won’t recall until he heads home for the day, and even then, he’ll find it hard to recall if he did sell that shuttle or not. It should give us at least until tomorrow morning to finish up what we need to on this planet.” The vendor was too easy to manipulate, his mind too susceptible to the persuasion of the Force. He would’ve believed anything Kylo told him.

But he wouldn’t complain to leaving the planet. The duo had to remain on the move to escape the notice of any First Order allies or sympathizers. Or anyone from the Resistance. Hell, throw Tarkin in the mix, and half the galaxy may be looking for him.

He set off in the direction of the warehouse. “Where then are we going next?” A planet where they could hide low for the night and start fresh the following day. He needed some damn sleep. And some food.

“Flying!” Rani always loved flying though and Kos’tel’lanni couldn’t help but laugh a bit at that.

“When you’re not on shift, Rani,” though she knew it was true regardless.

“What? I do like flying for fun. Flying low over planets, or running through drills, or just…I don’t know,” she shrugged almost helplessly. “I guess I also like dancing, and oh! Horror films, I really like horror films!

Kos’tel’lanni chuckled.

“You always jump at them. At every scene,” Reveille stated.

“I know! I still love them.” Rani said. “It’s better than just tending to plants.”

“They have names,” Kos’tel’lanni said, giving Rani a mock-upset look as she spoke of the plants. After a moment, she broke it and smiled, “But yes, I suppose I do enjoy plants and gardening a bit, outside of simply studying culture and languages. Music is a particularly fascinating expression of culture.”

“Yeah, fascinating culture study, that’s why you blare pop on the Bridge, isn’t it?” Rani accused.

Kos’tel’lanni held an impish smile on her lips, “Precisely!”

“I’m glad you all get free time,” Reveille couldn’t help the light tease. “Be nice to know what that was like.”

Kos’tel’lanni laughed, “You’re the one who decides to spend your free time researching the Force and crystals,” among other engineering feats, but she knew what had captivated Reveille recently.

“You’re just as much of a nerd, ‘Tel. Studying culture.” Rani mocked back, “Whatever happened to that game you were playing, anyways, Reveille?”

Reveille felt her face heat a bit at that. She just shrugged, figuring that would drop the topic immediately, convince Rani it hadn’t held her interest long. “What is it you do for fun, Althea?” She asked.

~***~

‘Don’t lecture him, let Nyx do that.’ Discord told herself as she walked along with him, away from the market. Still, she did want to remind him they had to consider the long-term ramifications of just stealing a ship. They were trying to make good impressions. Stealing a ship did not leave a good impression in the least.

“I was hoping we wouldn’t be going anywhere for a bit,” she answered, “Though I suppose we could head to our next planetary destination rather than linger in space. I thought we could go to Kuat next, given their importance to production of ships.”

And Sienar Fleets being off the table, now that they were firmly in the hands of the First Order.

Getting down the actual planet may be difficult. Kuat was protected all around by the shipyards themselves, which were a ring around the planet.

Lavinia was greatly amused by the exchange between the three women. Their conversation flowed so smoothly together, and it was easy for her to tell that they were all close friends.

It provided a chance to see their humanity, a point she realized with a small stab of pain in her chest.

She mentally noted the interests they listed, some not as surprising, and others she wouldn’t have ever guessed. Rani and horror? Kos’tel’lanni and pop? (Although she did remember something about that from an earlier conversation) Reveille and games?

It did come as a bit of a surprise to her that Reveille was the one to inquire her own hobbies, but she made no show of her surprise. She merely shrugged her shoulders, “I enjoy training, sparring. The feeling of defeating someone twice my size is always a nice one.” She chuckled a bit, continuing, “I also enjoy music, although my preference stems more towards the classical stuff rather than the pop.”

~~

“Lingering in space would just waste our time.” Waiting out their time in the void of space would only lead him to linger in his thoughts, and he wanted to avoid that.

Being left to his own thoughts never led down a pleasant path.

But Kuat would be an ideal destination, given their importance in the ship production industry. Kylo imagined that the First Order may eventually consider their resources, even if they do have Sienar Fleets and Lothal backing them. They could never have too many ships.

And they just had to get to Kuat first.

He may had to utilize his given name again just to be able to get to the planet, given the shipyards that surrounded it in a ring.

“Although if you wanted to wait to travel to Kuat until tomorrow, I would not be opposed.” A night’s sleep and a fresh start may aid them.

As hoped, Althea asked no follow-up questions once the tides were turned. Reveille couldn’t help but notice she was fairly easy to rope into a string of questions, for better or worse. And the others were easy to tag onto what she said, abandoning the topic of themselves easily.

“Sparring as much a part of work as flying,” Kos’tel’lanni noted, “not that I’m inclined to disagree, it is a good way to work off excess stress,” to which Reveille noted. While she also considered it a part of work, she wouldn’t deny it was one of her favored parts, even over flying a TIE. She didn’t get to do the latter much any longer, thanks to her rank.

As Grand Marshall, she’d likely do such things even less.

“Does anyone actually dislike music?” Rani couldn’t help but ask, earning the answer in the motion of Reveille and Kos’tel’lanni shaking their heads. “There’s gotta be something more you do. Like, something you do while listening to music?” Rani asked, hopeful to hear more of how Althea spent her time. “Besides sparring, obviously. You don’t seem like a very ‘fight me’ sort.”

“She is,” Reveille indicated. If her blatant insubordination said anything, which it usually did, she was definitely a ‘come at me bro’ sort. Though not around Kylo Ren, which, Reveille couldn’t really blame her for. It was suicide to consider dealing with Kylo Ren. Even without the Force he’d likely be a difficult foe; Reveille knew his bulk didn’t come from the Force. He clearly gave some attention to his physical prowess, as well.

The thought wasn’t a comfort, the memory of time spent in his ship causing her to fold her arms around herself to try and shake it, remove the thought of how easily he’d snap her neck the next time they met, with, or without, the Force. ‘But without it I have a chance.’ She wouldn’t be letting him that close again any time soon.

~***~

Discord didn’t sigh. She didn’t show exasperation as Kylo seemed disinclined to head to Kuat. “If you wish to delay going to Kuat, then we will need to find a place to linger in space,” she noted. “It would not be to our favor to remain here on the vessel you have taken. It would be better to leave, and find an area to rest, or head to Kuat, and rest once we have landed there.”

That would be a decision she would leave to Kylo Ren, however.

Her preference was to take to space and linger somewhere off a known path. There was less chance of harm coming to them in space, whereas on land, they were more likely to be robbed or broken in to. Space was large; finding a single corvette, and caring about it, were slim. Pirates tended to operate on the main paths, anyways, looking for freighters over corvettes.

None of that she’d express. She’d just leave Kylo with the two options – space or Kuat.

It seemed that the girls weren’t satisfied with Lavinia’s answer concerning her hobbies. Or rather, lack thereof. They weren’t willing to accept that she didn’t have many hobbies in the First Order, or ones that they would approve of.

She snorted with Reveille’s curt answer. “I have to agree with Reveille, I’m definitely a very ‘fight me’ sort. One time, a friend of mine had to physically carry me away from a bar because I was about to start a fight with a guy who would’ve made Kylo Ren look small. All because he called me ‘doll’.”

Alcohol was definitely involved on her end.

“But what’s wrong with just listening to music? It’s relaxing. It’s what happened last night while talking.” A minor slip of the tongue that Lavinia was quick to realize. She hurriedly changed the subject before anyone noticed. “But I suppose I also enjoy some games. Maybe the occasional holovideo. I have a soft spot for romance.”

~~

Kylo agreed. No matter which option they chose, they couldn’t remain on Corulag for the night, even if he was so sure that the vendor wouldn’t notice anything was amiss until the next day. But if it appeased and silenced Discord, then it would be worth to go off planet.

Lingering in space would be a better option if they did decide to linger the ship off of the known trade paths. Less likely for anyone to find them, less likely for a random ship to happen upon them and cause trouble. Even with their Force sensitivity, they may not be aware of an attack on a planet, while they’re asleep, until it was too late.

“We’ll take the ship to an area off of the known paths,” he decided. “Linger in space for the night, then tomorrow finish our journey to Kuat.” And from there do what they had to in order to ensure the planet didn’t align with the First Order.

There was a pause as he continued to lead them in the direction of the ship. “Did you grab food?” He hadn’t had much to eat in the past day, and although he wouldn’t actually admit it out loud, he was fucking starving.

‘A guy who would have made Kylo Ren look small.’ Reveille was certain she’d seen men larger than Kylo Ren, but the thought didn’t exactly help her right then. If anything, it just made her wonder if Kylo Ren would return far stronger now that he was without the Order and the limitations of such a thing. Would he return more demented, more power-hungry, and less reserved?

She was able to shake herself from those thoughts, at least momentarily, when Althea indicated what she’d been up to the other night. Music? With her brother, that meant. Her brother was a fan of classical music, of course. Reveille liked it, but she certainly had grown more fond of other varieties over time.

Rani let out a coo at the romance, “I am a sucker for a good romance.”

“You mean a terrible, cliché, romance,” Kos’tel’lanni contended.

Rather than ask of games, or even holovideos, Reveille interrupted, “What were you and my brother talking of, Althea?” Her brother didn’t share much at all, with anyone. That included music. The consideration that he’d had a pleasant conversation with someone late into the night? That was highly unusual.

Rani took it another way – though not far from that point, “How long were you in his room that night?!” The excitement and implications were back, but Reveille wouldn’t deny some interest. Something to question her brother about later. Or tease him. Or warn him. She wasn’t sure.

~***~

Discord was pleased that he chose space, and nodded, “Good decision. I prefer that,” she would allow that much of a comment on it, so he’d know they were of a similar mind. Kuat could wait for the morning.

He had his own question, though, one easy enough to answer, “Yes,” she said, “Rations, for the most part. I was not sure if we’d have much storage space for food on the ship, or what sort of utilities it would have. In the future I can get us better meals.”

Once she knew if they had something to refrigerate the food, or cook it. Once she knew what she was working with, but for the moment, she had opted just to get quick rations that would fill them up. Nothing terribly tasty, but it was nutritious enough. They’d live. She didn’t think it would cause much room for complaint, from what she understood, it was standard in the First Order.

Kylo Ren should be used to it.

Naturally they would pick up on her slip-up and ask the very questions she preferred to not answer. She would choose to ignore Rani’s question and hope they didn’t backtrack to it. Or she could lie and say she left very early in the evening, to her own room.

“We had discussions over food, as well as discussed our common interests over classical music and opera.” And they most definitely did not share a bed, where she enjoyed the feel of his arm around her, their bodies pressed closed together. Absurd.

And now she had no more alcohol to help numb her thoughts.

“Do you want me to go get us another round of drinks?” she offered, avoiding the last question entirely. Maybe they could be swayed with the promise of more alcohol. Well, maybe Reveille and Rani could. She had a feeling Kos’tel’lanni was done drinking for the night.

~~

For the time being, they were in an agreement, and Kylo didn’t sense any lingering frustration or anger on her part. A far cry from what he had been used to in the past few days.

Oh Reveille, we will see each other again.

He nodded, approving of the rations. It wasn’t the ideal situation, but he’d dealt with them before, and as long as he could get nutrients in his body, he didn’t care. It would only be temporary, as Discord suggested, until they had a routine in place and knew more about their ship.

It was a corvette. It should be well-equipped to handle most of their cooking needs.

Kylo said nothing more, opting for temporary silence on their journey to the warehouse, wherein they’ll find their new ship and home for the foreseeable future.

Rani’s look became wicked as Althea answered the question, avoiding her own. She was certain she knew what that meant, “And how long—” but she was cut off as Althea offered to get more drinks.

And distracted, “Oh! Yes please!” She nodded enthusiastically, “Something pink!”

Kos’tel’lanni just indicated, “A water, please,” she would at least continue with that.

“I’m back on whiskey,” Reveille indicated, perhaps a small permission, in its way, to let Althea know she could get something tastier, if she preferred. She noticed Terex back in sight, though, and his eye caught hers. “Actually, nothing for me,” she forced herself up, steadier than she thought she’d be.

“What are you—you are not going back—”

“Business, Rani,” Reveille insisted with a calming gesture, though Terex crossed the threshold to their area rather than stay away, for once.

“Girls,” he greeted, to a scowl from Rani, and a polite stare from Kos’tel’lanni…a polite stare that threatened the wrath of a thousand suns. “The Grand Marshall and I need to head out real quick.”

“Where?” Kos’tel’lanni demanded, tone ice.

“Not really any of your concern now, is it?” Terex said with a slight cant of his head, a smirk twisting his lips.

Reveille held up her hand before Kos’tel’lanni could rise, “As I said…business,” Terex didn’t tell her, but she knew, whatever this was, it was important. “I’ll return to the Exigency.”

Kos’tel’lanni wanted to protest that one of them should go with her, or that they should wait for her there, but she didn’t. She bit the inside of her cheek and swallowed her pride and her own worry. Reveille’s trust in Terex had not proven misplaced. So, she gave only a curt nod.

Her position demanded that much.

~***~

Discord did not mind the silence, and followed Kylo through it, to the warehouse, and their new ship. It seemed plenty spacious as she stepped up into it once the ramp was lowered. It was only then that she began to shift some of the bags.

A few, she let hover near Kylo Ren, “These are yours. Clothes. I am sure at another point you can be more selective but these should do for the moment. I attempted to have a variety,” though like herself, she stuck with black hues.

The bag of food, she set off to the side. “You may claim a room first,” she didn’t care enough to do such a thing, and Kylo would certainly enjoy the first choice, thinking she was relinquishing something. Not realizing she was in the position to relinquish in the first place. He hadn’t seemed to notice the small game with the Baron.

She wondered how attuned he was, in general, to the small games of power people played.

He would learn.

One day, Nyx would show him, make him aware, and let him know how to make other people comfortable in his own presence so he could manipulate them – or how to terrify them even more than he already could, with that same ease and confidence of presence.

Lavinia was relieved that her distraction technique worked. Everyone seemed eager for something more to drink, and she was ready to head to the bar before Reveille abruptly changed her mind.

And she soon found out why.

Now that she had an even closer look at Terex, she realized she had seen him before, but she still couldn’t quite place where. Regardless, the fact that she knew his face meant that he could know hers, and from a time in her life he didn’t need to mention in front of them.

She attempted to remain low, discretely hiding her face from him until he and Reveille had left. Rani and Kos’tel’lanni hated him enough, so why did Reveille seem to actually like him?

The attempt to fetch more drinks was forgotten. “What do you think that was about?” she questioned after they had left, her voice lowered, as if speaking about him would make him reappear.

~~

The ship proved to be a fortuitous find. If they had paid for it, Kylo imagined it would’ve been quite a few credits, credits they could save for something else they would need.

He didn’t regret what he did to get it.

Kylo took the clothes with a small nod, intrigued to see what she had bought him. He imagined that she didn’t buy anything outlandish, only items that would allow them to blend in better with everyone else.

The offer for him to claim the first room wasn’t one he expected. He’d just assumed that she would walk into the first room she found and claimed it. “Thank you.” He didn’t expect any malice or manipulation on her part.

And so he only took a few minutes to scope out the room, and upon noticing that they were all similar in size, chose one closer to the end of the hall. He placed the bags at the foot of the bed, deciding to go through them after he inquired further about the rations Discord purchased at the market.

Rani glared daggers into Terex’s back as he left with Reveille, “Hells if I know,” she never knew what Reveille saw in Terex. Sure, he was a great spy, probably the best – but he deserved a horrible, horrible death.

Kos’tel’lanni was the one to speak, voice even, “It was about Kylo Ren,” of that, she was certain, and Rani tensed at the mention, “If anyone in the galaxy could find out what he was doing, where he is, or a way to deal with him, it would be Terex.” And Reveille would trust him to do that, because Terex disliked Kylo Ren as much as anyone.

He had seen Kylo for what he was, and never referred to him by any flattering terms. Not that Kylo was ever around to hear them. “But…but she’s not…she….”

“Reveille won’t rest until Kylo Ren is dead.” Kos’tel’lanni was certain of that much, if only because the opposite was likely true. Reveille understood she’d created a threat to her life, a threat far greater than the Resistance.

~***~

Kos’tel’lanni was quite right about why Terex opted to interrupt, though he didn’t speak of it until they were outside of Takodana, “That punk from Serenno said he was willing to sell some of his product, so long as we don’t let Governor Tarkin know we bought it.”

“Why should I care?”

Terex shrugged, “Care long enough to get it and go.” He suggested, and Reveille nodded. Sound enough reasoning, even if she didn’t quite feel sober enough for that. She’d likely sober up a bit on the ride there.

Terex’s ship was a familiar beast, even if it was no longer the Carrion Spike, the design was reminiscent of it, and she knew it was stealth. Not that such seemed useful against Tarkin any longer. “Don’t suppose you know how to get around Tarkin’s cloaking sensors.”

“Not yet. Workin’ on it.” He said as they moved up into his ship, devoid of life as it was. Once, perhaps, it would have been full of others – slaves.

Right then, it wasn’t. After he’d left the First Order, he opted to be around very few, and had no more need of his slave-hostage arrangement. The Ranc Gang was gone, as well.

~***~

Discord took up a room closer to the entrance of the ship, and let her things down on the bed. She’d sort it out later, but the first concern for her was to see the ship into space.

She wouldn’t, of course, go to the pilot’s seat. No, once her things were down, and she stepped back out of her room to grab a nutrition bar, she went to the co-pilot’s seat to wait.

Kylo had the keys.

Even if he didn’t, she knew she shouldn’t just take the ship under her control until he was in the cockpit as well. Even if she was certain she could find a better place to rest the ship than he could. She debated if she even wanted to mention that, and determined she’d base it on how he chose to go about it, first.

“Then she may never rest,” Lavinia muttered. Could Kylo Ren be stopped? Somehow, she didn’t think so, unless Reveille was willing to enlist help from Rey and the rest of the Resistance, but that was unlikely.

Even though the thought of Reveille begrudgingly approaching General Organa was an amusing one.

“Let’s forget about him for now. We’re here to have fun, after all!” She wrapped an arm around Rani in an attempted half-hug to cheer up the twi’lek. “No more work-related talk until we leave this planet.”

This was her one chance to try and feel normal again, and Lavinia would take advantage of the situation.

~~

Once Kylo came back to the main area of the ship, he noted where their food was. He grabbed a bar and proceeded to head to the pilot’s seat. He wasn’t shocked to see Discord sitting in the co-pilot’s seat. After all, he had assumed he would be the one flying the ship, and he still had the keys.

Wordlessly, he started the ship, and soon they were flying through the atmosphere, the surface of the planet growing smaller beneath their feet.

He hadn’t spent too much time in this part of the galaxy, but the ship’s guidance system aided him in determining what was a well traveled path, and what was more isolated from other ships, First Order, pirates, or otherwise.

Set on a course, Kylo finally opened his nutrition bar and took a bite. As Discord seemed to have much planned already, he felt to ask, “What are we exactly to do once we approach Kuat tomorrow?”

There was the matter of the shipyard ring. And he would admit he couldn’t remember the leader or the government of the planet.

‘No, she may not.’ Kos’tel’lanni didn’t speak to that, of course. She hoped that it would come to an end, sooner than later. Kylo’s overconfidence was his likely flaw that would see to his end. Regardless, she wouldn’t dwell on it, and smiled as Rani leaned into the hug she was offered.

“I believe you promised drinks?” Kos’tel’lanni noted, to set things back on track and get them moving away from the unpleasant moment quicker.

“Yes!” Rani cheered up at that reminder, “Something pink!” She said again, offering little more than that for an idea of what was desired. One could easily guess from there she’d want something sugary and sweet, that was also pink.

It probably wouldn’t be a difficult task, in any case.

~***~

The course for Serenno was set, and Reveille got herself a glass of water before rejoining Terex in the cockpit, attempting to sober up a bit. “How long is it?”

“Eh, just a couple hours, I’m sure he’ll still be up and waiting for us,” Terex said, “So how come you let that bastard take over the Order?”

Reveille gave Terex an annoyed look for that. “What? You have a better claim.”

Would she admit that? No. Not aloud, anyways, but it had crossed her mind, “This was what we always planned,” Reveille said instead. “Once Supreme Leader Snoke was gone.” They hadn’t really considered Kylo’s place long in those plans, assuming he’d die or be only Commander of the Knights of Ren.

Oh how things had changed.

~***~

Discord glanced down at the computer as Kylo seemed to navigate by it. She wanted to interrupt, and was working over how, when he asked his own query. “We should try to meet first with the governor. I know that will not work. We should record what is said, and return to meet with the owner of the Kuat shipyards. They hold the real power.”

If they were willing to work with them, and didn’t like what the governor had to say – which they might have to guide him towards saying – then they’d see a coup and have the shipyards in their command. “Once we have convinced them to side with us, it will be easy – but we must take the standard route first.”

And, admittedly, if it worked, all the better.

She did speak up a moment. “Would it be all right if I took us to a better location? The computer will show the same things to others and guide others in much the same fashion. I have a method that may be better.” And there, she elaborated, “When the Chiss I was a navigator – we did not use these systems to navigate space, only the Force.”

It was where her foresight came into play.

She could pilot a ship through an asteroid field at lightspeed.

Lavinia laughed, rising to her feet. “Alright, yes, I did promise us drinks. I’ll be right back.” She set off for the bar to fulfill the order. A sugary, pink drink for Rani (a cosmo that she asked the bartender to rim the glass with sugar), water for Kos’tel’lanni, and whisky for herself.

Not even a few minutes later, she came back to the table with all three drinks, carefully balancing them in her hands. “And here we are!” The drinks were set in front of their respective owners, and Lavinia took her place besides Rani once more.

“i believe we may have been talking about hobbies before? You said you also enjoyed romantic holovids, right Rani? What are some of your favorites?” She was more than eager to resume their previous conversation, before it derailed when Lavinia had mentioned talking about music to Armitage the night before. Or before Terex interrupted their chat.

~~

Kylo was interested to know why she felt that the meeting with the governor would not work. Did he already have a reputation? Or was he already set to align with the First Order?

But she had a continuation to that plan, to meet with the owner of the shipyards. On a planet that relied so heavily on their ships, that owner would truly hold much of the planet’s power. He could so easily change the economy with a single word, and so he mattered more than the governor.

His attention focused back to the present with Discord’s inquiry into taking control. Kylo nearly bristled, almost insulted as he felt that she didn’t think he could do this. Direct them to an appropriate location.

But he calmed down. While Kylo utilized the systems and the Force to navigate his ships, she only had the Force. So he conceded. “Okay, fine.” He stood up from the pilot’s seat, hand motioning for her to take over.

Just this once. He didn’t like other people piloting when he could so easily do it.

Rani took the drink immediately as it was set down, a smile broadening on her lips as she took a long sip from it, letting Althea settle back into her seat, “Mmmm, there’s this movie about a couple who can’t live without each other. Like, it’s so bad, they keep getting their memory wiped to forget the other – and then keep running into each other, again and again, and falling in love all over again. I forget what it’s called, but it’s amazing,” she insisted, “especially the end, buuuuut – let’s talk about a real life romance!”

Kos’tel’lanni managed not to scoff, laughing instead as Rani became all focus, “Now that Revy’s gone – tell us about the time with Hux.”

“Rani, people can spend time with each other and it be perfectly platonic,” Kos’tel’lanni reminded, though she wouldn’t deny some interest, if only because Armitage kept people at arm’s length even more than Reveille did. Which was quite the feat.

“Maaaybe. Maybe not. She wanted to go get us drinks awfully fast, though, didn’t she?” That wicked grin was back. “Details, woman! Details!”

“Forgive her,” Kos’tel’lanni sighed, “she doesn’t have a love life.”

~***~

The anger that arose in Kylo was some evidence of how he took piloting, and his control. Discord made a mental note of that, as well as to make it clear that this was a good decision on his part, as she slipped from the co-pilot’s seat, to the pilot’s. “Thank you, I promise I will not disappoint.”

She shut her eyes briefly, focusing forward, until the double-vision of the future overlaid over the present took over.

She focused it seconds ahead, her hands moving in the present to follow future desires, immediately jumping them into lightspeed without calculation, and soon, taking them off areas the navigational map had well-figured.

It wasn’t an entirely smooth trip, jostles of changing direction necessary and always a bit rough at lightspeed, but all the same – they’d soon moved through a small belt of asteroids, and come out on the other side, where Discord pulled them out of lightspeed just outside of it, where the winds of space and the pull of gravity would keep debris from reaching their ship.

Lavinia let out a loud groan. It figured that Rani wouldn’t drop the subject. “Nothing much happened,” she insisted, bringing her drink to her lips.

But she figured that Rani wouldn’t drop the subject matter anytime soon, and she may as well rip the bandaid off sooner rather than later. Even if she didn’t want to think too much on what had happened between her and Armitage the previous night.

Her drink was directly in front of her lips, and Lavinia quickly mumbled out, “We were kind of forced to share a bed last night.” She cleared her throat and took another sip of the drink.

“And that’s it, nothing more.” She spoke louder, casually, as if she didn’t just admit to something she found herself wanting again.

~~

Discord’s words had a minute calming effect on him, but Kylo was still antsy to return to his seat. He had a lack of control over the one thing he had always been able to control in his life. Piloting came naturally to him, like many others in his family.

His eyes flickered between Discord and the viewport every so often, as he watched her in action. He was impressed, and even a little jealous, at how well she navigated the ship into lightspeed and through an asteroid belt. Although not the smoothest ride, she still had done it.

“Very well,” was the only comment he would make. It might as well been high praise for him. “So we are to remain here until the morning, where we then make our way to Kuat?” He repeated their plans just to merely confirm everything for the time being.

And if that was the case, he would head back to his own room for privacy and sleep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back