• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Fight for Control [closed]

“Awww, Armitage liking someone’s presence,” Rani cooed, and that earned a look from Reveille, “I don’t think he’s liked having anyone around besides, well…Revy and Phasma.” She didn’t bother correcting the slip of the nickname then, “And I didn’t like Phasma.”

“Phasma was a sociopath.” Kos’tel’lanni said, and Rani nodded several times in agreement. “But I do believe that is why programmers have rubber ducks – to talk to, and explain code. Perhaps we should look into doing that for our analysts….”

Reveille just rolled her eyes at that, and got up, “Where are you going?” Kos’tel’lanni asked, about to rise herself.

Reveille just gestured, “Old friend. Enjoy yourselves.” She moved off, and Kos’tel’lanni followed her with her gaze, before she saw where.

Terex.

She bristled immediately, “I hope we won’t be allowing old people to return to the Order with these changes….”

“Aww, but why? Cardinal was a lot better than Phasma!” Rani had no idea what happened with Cardinal. Or that Terex was in the bar – she didn’t look back, even with the obvious connecting statements.

~***~

Briefly, Discord wondered which training he meant. Languages? Politics? The Force? Obviously, the Force, but it had been so much more than just that. Communicating with Nyx had been difficult at first, and learning how things worked in the Galaxy, outside of Csilla, another difficulty entirely.

Still, she considered what she could say, in regards to Nyx’s methods, and in her teachings of the Force. “Holistic,” was how she phrased it, at first, as if testing the word. “As a necessity. We begin with differing backgrounds. There has been much given and take…there remains much give and take.”

A balancing act, as they each tried to learn each other, and how best to work with each other. “My understandings of the Force and the galaxy as you know it were limited. It may seem foolish that I would speak of this in regards to my training with the Force, but your understanding of the Force differed vastly from mine when I was six years younger. We call it ‘Sight’.”

Perhaps that might help to understand how the Chiss viewed it. How it worked with them.

“But once we understood each other, her training has been instructive. She has shown me what is possible, and walked me through steps to get there. There has been some training left to holocrons, but Nyx prefers to work with the Force directly, rather than mediate between words."

Lavinia scoffed at Rani’s accusations. Preposterous, that’s what it was. She did her job well, and he tolerated that, because it benefitted him. That’s all.

But her eyes followed Reveille, or Revy as Rani affectionately called her, as she got up to meet an ‘old friend.’ Lavinia thought nothing more on that, even as Kos’tel’lanni and Rani commented on old people in the Order.

She had no idea what they were talking about, and in her current state, she didn’t particularly care.

Maybe she should’ve. Maybe she should’ve taken note of the names, if they were to make a reappearance in the near future.

“She still hates me,” she sighed, taking a large swig of her drink. An instant mistake, her face scrunched up in displeasure. “But you guys like me, right?” Her body slightly leaned against Rani, her eyes wide as they sought clear approval from the two remaining.

~~

Holistic. That had been an unexpected answer, but it made sense. Naturally they had to work with Discord’s unique circumstance concerning the Force, as he’d imagine it took some time for Nyx to get accustomed to.

Very little was known to outsiders about the Chiss, and Kylo pondered if that hindered the process any. If it was a moment of frustration for Nyx to know so little about this race.

Would Kos’tel’lanni be the same way? Could the Force be awaken in her and trained, much like with Discord?

He nodded along to the answer she gave him, satisfied with what he heard. “And do you sometimes feel...frustrated with your training? It is very unusual to start so late.” It wasn’t unheard of, but generally it was thought to be easier to train those gifted when they were younger. They were easier to mold. To shift according to the needs of their Master and of the galaxy. Easier to hone their emotions as needed.

‘I barely know you.’ Kos’tel’lanni knew better than to say that as Althea’s expression broke, and Rani wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

“Of course we do!” She said for both of them.

She doesn’t hate you…but she doesn’t like you.’ That, too, Kos’tel’lanni knew better than to say. Reveille had rendered her judgment by leaving them; there was truth in alcohol, and Reveille had shared it wordlessly. She preferred to be further from Althea. Kos’tel’lanni wasn’t sure what had done it.

Perhaps nothing.

Perhaps the simple knowledge she wasn’t included in Althea’s praise for meeting them – knowing she was the unwelcome in. In the future, it would seem, Althea may indeed need to be excluded, lest they isolate Reveille. “Don’t we, ‘Tel?”

Kos’tel’lanni forced herself not to consider that Reveille would so quickly return to people like Terex, or fall off the path she was on. “Yes,” she agreed, though her smile flickered, wondering briefly what Reveille saw that she didn’t, “and I am sure we are both going to enjoy getting to know you better now that you’ve stepped into our circles.”

~***~

“So, the freak is finally gone, eh?” Terex said as Reveille took her seat besides him at the counter of the bar.

“Mm. You can thank me when he’s dead,” she offered, as Terex waved down a bartender, “I need some things from you.”

“And here I thought you were just coming over to say hello and offer me my job back.”

“You don’t want your job back,” not under the rules she’d enforce, and they both knew it. “I need the Force items that Tarkin has. From Serenno, or from Tarkin himself, I don’t care, but I need them.”

“Done; I’ve been wanting some for myself, anyways.”

“And I need hits posted for Kylo Ren on every board you know. Every scum in the galaxy should be after him, and his mother should be made aware, as well.”

“Want me to give Poe a call?” Terex joked, “I’m sure I can still get in touch.” The amusement wasn’t shared.

“Yes.” Was the simple answer, no humor, which actually seemed to surprise Terex. “Tell him, tell his stupid droid, tell everyone.”

‘Tell them I did it. Tell them I brought down Kylo Ren.’

“How much have you had to drink?”

“Not enough.”

The bartender had paused then, and Terex placed orders – not for more of the same, but two whiskeys.

~***~

Kylo’s question seemed a strange one, and Discord canted her head. “Frustration is standard when one is learning something new. We must struggle to grasp new concepts, in the Force or in language,” the latter was tacked on, for the truth of it, as well as to indicate that perhaps she misunderstood his question.

To her, if she was not frustrated now and then, she would not know she was learning. Just as she would not know she was gaining strength, if she did not at first feel sore from the exertion and attempts to gain it in the first place. “Should I not feel frustrated now and then?”

Had Kylo not been so challenged?

Did his teachers have a different method? Discord had known the way of the Chiss, which was not much, but it had not frustrated her half as much. They did not have a true system, relying on those with the Sight to explain it, when they themselves were children or teenagers. It had been natural... and then it was gone.

The hesitation in Kos’tel’lanni’s response did not go unnoticed. The implication of Reveille leaving the group did not escape her either. There was no saving the evening, not with her there and Reveille’s clear disapproval of her.

You don’t belong here. Of course not. ‘I’m not even a First Order officer, of course I don’t belong with them.’

She shrugged Rani’s arm off her shoulders. Kos’tel’lanni’s knowledge of who she was suddenly weighed heavy on her mind, which only further emphasized how much of an outsider she truly was in their group.

“But it’s obvious that won’t be tonight.” She moved to stand from the table, her drink sat forgotten on its surface. You’re not here to make friends. You’re here for a job. “I am obviously intruding. This is your girl’s night, and my presence is only threatening your tradition.”

What would she do in the meantime? Maybe sit at the bar and see how many free drinks she can win with her dress. Or maybe go back to the ship and regain sobriety.

~~

Kylo knew frustration well enough. He was no stronger to feeling frustration with himself, or frustration while training under Snoke.

That frustration with Snoke occurred nearly every day, but he pushed through it. He had to; there was no choice.

“Occasional frustration is normal,” he assured. His own frustration? Maybe that was less so. But he did learn through those feelings, yet some would say he still had much to control. “Frustration leads to questions, which leads to answers.”

Through his conversations with Discord since Nyx left them be, Kylo still wasn’t sure what to make of the Chiss. She remained a mystery to him, whether that was due to her intentions, ambitions, or whether she only accepted the task because her Master expected it of her.

But so far Discord had proved herself for the mission. Did Nyx and Discord truly wish to work for him? It may be too late to second guess the entire operation, but still, that lingering thought of self-doubt pecked the back of his mind.

Rani’s hands immediately shot up to wrap around Althea’s wrist once the other woman had risen, “Nooo, you can’t leave us!” Rani insisted, “You belong here! Revy’s the one missing out!” She insisted, squeezing a bit tighter as if it would help, “I mean, if she thinks…,” she looked out, and scowled immediately, “if she thinks some slaver is better company than us then she can stay there!”

Kos’tel’lanni did offer a slight nod, “It’s likely even if you leave, we won’t be able to draw her back,” Reveille knew better than to bring Terex over to them.

Reveille wouldn’t have gone over to him at all, of course, if she’d been comfortable. That didn’t matter much in the moment. Reveille was not comfortable with them, and they would not be comfortable with Terex. The lines had been drawn, and would be erased only when they were ready to leave.

~***~

Discord was quietly grateful that he anticipated frustration. If he had thought it meant a failing on the teacher’s part, or didn’t anticipate it, then working with Nyx would be a difficult matter for him. She was a good teacher – but she was not the easiest. Discord knew how much Nyx tried to help, but there was only so far one could go before they were basically doing it for a person.

“Yes, it does, I have found that often in learning with Nyx,” she agreed, and glanced up a bit as a man approached them, dressed in a bit more finery than the others. She straightened as he seemed to pause in question a few steps ahead of them.

“Ben Solo?” He hesitated to speak the name, looking at the man sitting alongside her, and keeping her in sight, the wariness in his stance.

Lavinia sighed, unable to deny Rani’s request. How could she when the woman was so damn energetic? Silently, she returned to her seat, although she did throw a quick glance in Reveille’s direction.

A slaver? Well, that was interesting, and a complete turn from what others in the First Order had preached. Weren’t they against slavery?

“I don’t think our Supreme Leader will be happy to know she’s talking to him,” she mused out loud. Her attention turned back to her forgotten drink, fingers wrapping around the glass and bringing the beverage to her lips.

Lavinia wondered on who the guy was that Reveille was talking to. Judging by the reactions of the women around her, it was someone known to the First Order, but obviously left on less than amicable terms. Or a known mercenary for them?

If she bothered to let Armitage know, then maybe he would know exactly who it was.

Changing the subject, “So, what else do you normally do on girls’ night?”

~~

Any remaining questions Kylo had for Discord were forgotten when a finely dressed man approached them. Dark eyes silently observed the man, from his polished shoes to his styled hair.

He rose to his feet, head tilting in acknowledgement. “Yes, that would be me.” No hint of irritation flickered across his face at the usage of his old name.

The man hesitantly reached out a hand, his eyes once wavering to the woman at his side. “Baron Carric Danthe.”

Yes, I know who you are. Kylo took his hand in a firm handshake. “I’m glad we’re finally meeting.”

“Oh yes, me too. I didn’t think I would ever have the chance to meet the son of Leia Organa.” He nearly bristled at being nothing more than his mother’s son in that moment, but he had to remind himself that was what provided them the opportunity to meet with the baron. There was a lot he would have to let go.

The baron turned to Discord. “And you are?”

Kos’tel’lanni had nearly told her who it was – and that Armitage wouldn’t care. He knew, of course, that Reveille kept in touch. However, Althea changed the subject far too quickly, so she kept those thoughts to herself and shrugged, “There’s no routine,” she chuckled, “the main idea is to get away from the Order for a bit.”

Drinking, dancing, venting, all of these had their place at girl’s night. While the music was good from the band, Kos’tel’lanni didn’t think she’d be doing much dancing.

Rani might, if she was able to drag Althea along with her. Possible, certainly.

Which, it seemed, Rani just realized, bouncing up and grabbing at Althea’s hand, “We should dance!” She didn’t want to think of who was there, who Reveille was talking with, or anything else. Talking was boring without the game, after all, and they were there to get away from it.

~***~

Discord rose only after she was addressed, “Baron Danthe, it is good to meet you,” she said, and offered, “I am Zeme’lodi’csapla, an acquaintance of the late Grand Admiral Thrawn,” she had never met him. It didn’t matter. No one could question it, and the name certainly sparked the necessary recognition, as the Baron allowed her to take his hand, as well.

“That is quite the surprise,” his eyes took in Ben once more, clearly confused as to how this odd duo ended up at the palace. Nonetheless, “If you’ll follow me back, I am sure we have a bit to discussion.”

Ben Solo wasn’t here for no reason, after all.

As he led the way back, he asked, “Is there anything I can have gotten for you? Food, drink?” It was polite to see to the needs of guests – especially ones with such names.

Lavinia chuckled and made sure her glass was set back on the table. She hadn’t danced in ages, but that hardly mattered when a bit of liquid courage flowed through her veins.

“Okay, yes, let’s dance.” She knew there was no way she could say no to Rani. Just imagining the defeated look on the twi’lek’s face was enough to get her to stand up. A smile stretched across her face, and she stepped away from the table, her hand still clasped in Rani’s.

“Shall we dance for the fun of it, or dance to see if we can get any attention on us?” As Kos’tel’lanni said, they were there to get away from the Order for a bit. What was the harm in offering a little tease in the direction of anyone who just so happened to be looking at the women?

~~

Kylo noted the white lie Discord spoke, but he made no motion that betrayed her words. It obviously played into their favor, and no one would question a Chiss.

The galaxy was full of those who believed what they wanted to believe and very rarely questioned fact.

He followed the baron, though his strides kept him more at pace next to the baron’s side. “No, thank you, I’m fine.” He couldn’t imagine being able to eat or drink anything at this moment, but he didn’t speak for Discord. If she wanted anything, Kylo wouldn’t judge.

“I have to thank you for meeting with us on such short notice. It was rather fortuitous.” The words were offered in more of a polite form. He would’ve rather they’d been able to meet without the wait, but he knew that they were lucky to meet him at all, with more force involved.

Kos’tel’lanni would certainly hold her place by the drinks to make sure nothing happened to them as Lavinia and Rani went to go dance. The question that was asked, though, seemed to inspire a blank look on Rani’s face, and Kos’tel’lanni laughed at it, knowing that Rani had never considered such a thing.

She always danced for herself.

It just so happened that such a thing also tended to invite attention, because Rani wanted attention. Not to mention, she was a twi’lek. Her entire race had been hypersexualized so that people didn’t always see beyond that. “You mean that’s mutually exclusive?” Rani finally asked, the confusion popping a bit as she tried to figure out how that would be.

Kos’tel’lanni couldn’t help but shake her head and offer from the sidelines, “Not for you, dear.”

~***~

Zeme’lodi’csapla had learned from Nyx to accept such things. It made people easier to speak with – once again, the illusion of power. They had offered, and that put them in a small position of power. So rather than deny it, she nodded, “Spacer juice, if you have any,” it was a fairly common product, and so most had it.

“Of course,” the Baron agreed, and as they passed an attendant in the hall he spoke of the order and where to bring it, before they would slip into a room. “And you are welcome, Ben – I am glad that I had an opening in my schedule,” he said as he moved to take his seat behind a desk.

Zeme’lodi’csapla took her own seat, and a moment later, an individual with a glass of iced juice stepped in, and set it down in front of her. She smiled as she took it, and moved her hood down before drinking.

Carric took his seat, “But what does bring you both here?”

Lavinia hadn’t considered the hypersexualization of Rani’s species when she made her comment, but it made sense. She knew of what the Twi’leks had to go through, large in part due to the near constant attempts at enslaving them.

“Never mind that.” She waved off her own comment with a motion of her hand. One arm wrapped around Rani’s shoulders, and she steered the two of them over to where they could dance without worry of bumping into any tables.

“Let’s just dance to forget who we are in the moment.” To be able to forget her own dual identity for just a few minutes would be a blessing, while dancing with the only person in the First Order she was convinced didn’t dislike or suspect her in some capacity.

But she couldn’t imagine Rani disliking anyone. Rather, how did she even end up with them?

~~

Kylo made no note of importance at Discord’s request for a drink. It was standard courtesy, and the baron had offered it. He didn’t bother with such formalities though, for his mind was solely focused on the task at hand.

His initial impression of the baron was that the man, like many other politicians, only merely said that they were busy, to make their guests feel more important that they could fit them in on such a tight schedule. He didn’t quite buy into the casual formalities, but he did offer a nod to the man as he took his own seat.

“As you may be well aware by now, the First Order is quickly establishing rule in the Core Worlds.” He didn’t hesitate before diving into the matters at hand. “We come to urge you to reconsider any deal they may try and persuade you with.”

To speak of such a way about the First Order, after residing in it for many years and fighting for it, felt odd on his tongue. “They offer nothing but stifling control and subjugation.”

“Kay!” Rani could do that easily, and she ignored the chuckles of Kos’tel’lanni that followed a bit of the ways, before they were more on the ‘floor’ area of the tavern, where others were enjoying themselves and cutting loose. Rani was quick to join in on that, the music flowing through her limbs easily.

And Rani could dance. Though it was to forget everything around her, there remained a control to her movements, not wild abandon, but familiarity that suggested training, or at least, practice in isolation of body parts, and strength. The short dress and the liquid flow of her form drew eyes from all around.

It wouldn’t have mattered how silly, or how provocative – Rani drew attention on the floor, and by default, eyes would move to take in her partner, just as well – and some wouldn’t think that just secondary after a look of the pair, even if Rani would occasionally move or reach out to take control, or offer a guiding step or movement herself to help Althea into the dance with her, rather than just alongside her, even if it was no waltz.

It was fun.

And many were waiting for a slip of the short dress, or the lace, from either one.

Even Terex couldn’t help but notice, and he coughed back a laugh, “Still going out with Rani, huh?” He asked, before squinting, “Who’s the other?”

Reveille glanced out, “Althea Storax,” she answered.

Terex frowned. That name didn’t fit the face, but admittedly, the face was done up in make-up. He might be wrong, but he thought he’d seen the girl around Poe before. “Don’t like her,” he said, “I’d still hit that, though.”

Reveille rolled her eyes, her only comment on that, as she waved for another whiskey, “How much have you had now?”

“Two glasses of the pyro, two of whiskey…this’ll be 3.”

Terex frowned, and lifted a thumb to her neck, thinking on the matter of make-up. He smudged away foundation and saw the purpling below, before his hand was nearly slapped away. Not quite, no – even Reveille knew better than to actually strike someone in Takodana. He just sighed, “I’ve told you, you can just leave.”

“And I’ve told you no.” Another glass of whiskey was set in front of her.

~***~

Baron Danthe was indeed aware of the movements of the First Order. His intentions, of course, had been to consider joining with them. Carise Sindian made a persuasive argument, and though she had been kicked from the Elder Houses, others seemed to agree with her in the Core. The First Order would bring things back to the way of the Empire. They would feel prosperity again, true prosperity.

Of course, he expected Ben Solo to be against it.

He was Leia’s son, after all.

The woman at his side drank the juice as he kept an eye on Ben, “I understand you must hold your mother’s views close to your heart, and I certainly know the Empire committed plenty of atrocities. Alderaan among them…and the First Order has done similar with the Hosnian Cataclysm,” he had lost friends there, himself, “but we are looking at the greater good here, and quite honestly this galaxy needs some control to it,” his nose wrinkled.

The galaxy was a mess, and some people needed to be taught their place. He didn’t look towards the Chiss, but being a non-human – no matter all that had been done – certainly implied her sort. Those who had learned the proper place, like Mitth’raw’nuruodo had been wonderful, but all needed to join them in this.

“They haven’t approached me yet, but I don’t see any reason to join the vigilante Resistance. Leia spoke of order and a better government, and then went right off and left the New Republic because they, too, were wrong.” Though Leia claimed to be fighting for them, he didn’t see that. “Her army is in stark contrast to her words.” He presumed Ben was there to convince him to join the Resistance. “No offense intended, but she’s hardly trustworthy, based on her actions. I’m sure she means well, but…even you must see the contradiction.”

Lavinia felt carefree as she danced alongside Rani, allowing the twi’lek to take charge when she silently commanded it. Was she a good dancer? Lavinia didn’t know the answer to that, for she enjoyed herself far too much as the alcohol flowed through her body, loosening up her limbs.

Despite all of that, she remained conscious on eyes that may have lingered on the pair. No doubt they were wishing for a slip or debating if they should tempt fate and approach the ladies. They would all fail.

Her eyes eventually landed on the man sitting next to Reveille. She frowned, a spark of familiarity flaring in her mind, but she couldn’t recall where she had seen him. Was it within the First Order? Before?

And neither Kos’tel’lanni nor Rani had mentioned his name. Best to steer clear of him.

After a few more minutes, Lavinia slowed in her dancing, slowly directing them in the way of their table. “I think it may be time to take a break.”

~~

Kylo was amused that the baron immediately thought he wanted him to join the Resistance. Of course he thought that, he came there under his given name, one that was recognized throughout the galaxy as being the son of Leia Organa.

But the baron will soon learn that Ben Solo was not quite so aligned with his mother.

“This is where you misunderstand my intentions.” Kylo remained calm as he began to explain his own position in the war. “I do not side with the Resistance, nor am I telling you to do so, but it is naive to think that either the First Order or the Resistance have your best interests at heart.”

And here was where he needed to try and further persuade the man to steer away from the First Order. “The galaxy may need some control, but do you honestly think that the First Order will provide that? Or do you think they will merely attempt to spread fear to achieve their goal? They offer false promises for a better future, but once they have that control, there’s nothing stopping them from taking what they want. Even if that includes getting rid of governments currently in place.”

Some lies and some truths were spoken. Kylo solely focused on pulling the man away from the lure of the Order.

And here is where he hesitated before admitting something that could help the baron see his side. “I would know, because I used to be a part of the First Order.”

For a few moments, things were good. Rani reveled in the attention, and the movement. She was never a person who liked to be still. Even within the Order, she was often moving, despite her position as a TIE fighter. Fixing ships, sparring, doing anything – she couldn’t just remain stagnant for long. And so, dancing was a wonderful, easy release, and she enjoyed those minutes.

She almost didn’t hear Althea, but she clued in to her lips moving and leaned forward, catching the words.

A pout crossed her lips. “Oh. Fiiiine,” she grumbled, but she was probably right. She might at least want to pause for a drink before returning to the fun.

And they had left Kos’tel’lanni on her own to guard the drinks, though Kos’tel’lanni appeared to be doing all right, reading something on her datapad as they returned, “Whatcha reading, ‘Tel?”

“Just a novel,” she answered, politely marking her spot and looking up as the duo returned.

~***~

Carric tuned in, hearing that Ben wasn’t there to turn him to the Resistance. That was not what he expected, in the least, and so he gave heed to this strange change of events, trying to fit it into the narrative as he understood it.

Of course, what Ben seemed to be saying, was to stand alone and try to oppose a monolith. ‘That can’t be right.’ Why be there, then? No, he had something more to offer. He must. And the baron didn’t know enough about what was happening on the other worlds to know what structures were staying, and which were falling.

Both of his brows rose at the mention of that, “You…?” he blinked, startled, “Why were you…how…,” his brows furrowed, deepening the lines in his face, “If you were with them, you must know my position. To resist…I don’t have the power to stand up to the First Order. Many in the Core are planning to negotiate with them.”

That much, he knew to be true.

That much filled his day, filled his every meeting – the decisions that loomed ahead.

“Reading a novel in a place like this?” Lavinia questioned, sliding into her seat. Her drink remained untouched on the table, and she reached out to bring the glass to her lips.

Water may have been better, but the drink was right there, waiting for her.

She frowned as she wondered to herself if Kos’tel’lanni felt left out or bored. Since one member of their group already wandered off due to her, she wanted to try harder for the two remaining. “So what shall we do now?”

Now almost half gone, the glass was set back on the table. “Oh, how about another drinking game?” But Lavinia seemed to immediately reconsider with the drinks she already consumed. “Or we simply get to know one another better?”

~~

Kylo ignored the stammering question concerning his involvement with the First Order. That wasn’t important. What was important was answering the following concern the baron presented. “I do know your position, and thus I wouldn’t have come to you without confidence that you can have the power to stand up to them.”

The Core worlds may not be immune to total destruction of any future superweapon the First Order may build, but to completely annihilate every planet that opposed them? It would be total chaos to the galactic economy.

“We’re hoping to gain the alliance of other Core Worlds that haven’t explicitly stated their position yet. We hope to create a defense force strong enough to withstand the First Order’s weakened fleet. And use not only the defenses of the planets, but also of our own allies.” Kylo motioned to him and Discord, recalling how Nyx mentioned they had allies in far reaches of the galaxy.

If Discord wanted to elaborate on that, he would let her.

“Not only that, but we have inside forces working on weakening the bonds of trust between the Order and some of their already established allies.” He wouldn’t mention any by name, in case the baron did ended up aligning with the First Order, but he offered that hope of a chance.

“I’ll have you know I can read just about anywhere,” Kos’tel’lanni chuckled, “My focus is legendary.” As was her ability to stay alert, an odd combination, but nonetheless, a useful one. Rani plopped down into a seat and took up her own sugary concoction, not at all worried that it was tainted as she drank down quite a bit of at once.

Again, the lieutenant asked what to do, and Rani laughed openly this time, “You and your schedules!” She mocked a bit, “We’re here to have fun, you know,” she wagged a finger at her. “There’s no itinerary, no checklist, just fun.”

Kos’tel’lanni smiled a bit, “What she’s saying is, if you have an idea for a game, do share – otherwise, it is just fine to sit and talk of ourselves,” Kos’tel’lanni agreed, “We are both curious of you still,” and Reveille was, but no, Reveille had wandered off. Tempting as it was to drag her back, she didn’t really want to deal with Terex.

“But learning can be facilitated by a game, or just talking.”

“Games are better!” Rani said immediately.

~***~

Carric listened, nodding along, but his expression was dubious. Obviously, Ben was vague. He didn’t mention if other worlds had agreed to this proposal or not. Certainly, no one else had approached him with this idea.

He also didn’t know what allies Ben had, though the presence of the chiss hinted at some.

“Mhm.” Carric sounded, “And what allies would these be? Who would I be working with, precisely?”

“Darth Nyx,” there, Discord did not hide the title, even if it caused fear to flicker through Carric, “Apprentice to Vader, and mother of the Nightsisters of Dathomir.” They had nearly been destroyed, but such a thing did not die so easily. “She has allies upon many Outer Rim worlds, stretching from her own coven to the Hutts, and further, into the Unknown Regions where I am from.”

She did not say the chiss. That would be too bold a lie for the time being. “We know what the Empire strove to do, and we intend to rebuild it, properly.”

“Well then, call me jealous,” Lavinia chuckled. The ability to focus in a place like Takodana? That was a skill truly to fear.

She shrugged at Rani’s accusations. Schedules were so ingrained into her mind at that point. “What can I say? I’m used to living by a schedule.” And that had only proved more true after she was reassigned to Armitage’s side. There was always something to do, somewhere to go.

“But I must admit, I don’t really know any games we could play.” She appeared sheepish at her admission, shrugging her shoulders in defeat. “I guess I’m a bit of a bore.”

Another sip of her drink, which was nearing its end. “But I am willing to answer any questions, or, well, most questions, you may be curious about.” An admittance she may regret, but right then, she hardly cared.

~~

Kylo nodded along to what Discord offered. “What the First Order is offering is only a bastardization of the Empire. Already, they’ve had weaknesses exposed. Starkiller’s gone, as well as much of their fleet. It will take some time for them to rebuild their weapons, their ships, and their soldiers.”

He had hoped all of this would entice Carric to their cause, and if it didn’t, they still had a few other places on the planet to visit before they were done.

If he could be persuaded, then those who would phase the brunt of the First Order’s rule could be. Those who lived in the underworld of the planet.

“Already they face enemies from not only the Resistance, but also from Tarkin. If they had more opposing armies? Then we believe they can be eliminated.” Kylo shifted in his seat, but he showed no nerves at the potential for rejection. With all they had to offer, the baron would be an idiot to refuse their offer.

Neither were surprised that Althea was used to living by a schedule. It was what the First Order did, after all – order things. Regulate them. Schedule them. It was also why these nights were necessary, in their own way. To allow for deregulation and relearning of oneself outside of the schedule.

It seemed that Althea also hadn’t learned any games, and Rani patted her shoulder, “We’ll just teach you some next time,” she said, still, apparently, thinking there would be a next time.

Kos’tel’lanni wouldn’t speak against that, though she wondered at Rani’s awareness when the twi’lek opted to ask, “What is with you and Revy, anyways? I mean, I know the caf thing and her being a bit of a jerk, but I mean – is that it?” Apparently, Rani was aware enough to take note of Reveille’s behavior, and to wonder at it.

Was Althea in the wrong?

Was Reveille? Kos’tel’lanni knew that was what Rani was trying to get at.

~***~

If Danthe thought to point out that the Death Star had also been destroyed, he didn’t. He didn’t truly know how much the First Order had lost, or how long it would take to rebuild. He knew Coruscant had fallen, as had Chandrila, and those were not significant losses. He also knew alone he didn’t have the fleet to take on the First Order, and he wasn’t sure how many it would take to do that.

Ben must have had some ideas, though.

His eyes went wide as the name ‘Tarkin’ was brought up, “Is he your ally?” He asked immediately, delusions of Vader and Tarkin and the Emperor entering into his head.

“No,” Discord was the one to speak to that, “Tarkin is merely another distraction, another who is corrupted and sees nothing beyond his own planet, much as Wilhuff was. Tarkin has joined the Resistance.”

The way that Carric’s nose scrunched said enough for that. He wouldn’t put his support behind Tarkin, “They are simply another who will beat away at the First Order and distract them. They will weaken themselves as we create a defensive force against them, prepared to handle the victor of those skirmishes.”

“So I won’t be required to do anything for a while?”

“That is the hope,” Discord indicated with a nod, “We are preparing for much, and we are willing to assist in those preparations.”

“And if this is to be like the Empire,” Carric hesitated, but asked, “Who is at the top?”

Lavinia lightly patted the hand on her shoulder, smiling in appreciation at Rani. Even she wondered if there would be a next time, as she recalled Reveille going off on her own during what was supposed to be their night.

It only reinforced the idea in her mind that she didn’t belong with them. She wasn’t supposed to be there, and the alcohol only highlighted this thought for her. Where do you truly belong?

She frowned when the question of her and Reveille’s...relationship came up. “I’m not sure,” she sighed, her fingers fiddling with the rim of her glass. “I’ve already told you about the first time we met. Instant hostility from her end. The second time we met? She snapped at me for a question I asked Armitage,” the name slipped out without a thought, “and I snapped back. I know that didn’t help things, but it was obvious she had it out for me from the start.”

Her arms crossed over her chest. She didn’t have to have everyone to like her, but Lavinia felt what Reveille was doing was unnecessary and without any reason.

~~

Kylo had some hope that Carric was starting to see their argument, that he would eventually agree to join their side. The exclusion of Tarkin only seemed to sway in their favor, and that pleased Kylo.

The inclusion of Tarkin would be the last thing he wanted to do.

Carric’s next question, concerning who is leading their new Empire, momentarily stopped Kylo. There was a pause as he thought through the answer. He desired that position, coveted the complete control of the galaxy.

But he remained aware of Discord’s presence beside him. Neither she nor Nyx would appreciate his trying to take control, not after the words they have exchange. For the moment, he assumed that Nyx would want that title.

Only until he learned more from her.

“Darth Nyx will be at the top,” Kylo answered smoothly. “With us two being her close associates,” he motioned towards himself and Discord.

In this group, using the first names wasn’t so strange. At least, not to Kos’tel’lanni, though Rani passed her a look as Armitage was used so casually, something sinking in to her that hadn’t yet hit Kos’tel’lanni. “That’s weird,” Rani did say aloud.

“Not really,” Kos’tel’lanni didn’t seem to think as much, “Lieutenant Storax was assigned to watch General Hux and report to Kylo Ren. Reveille would automatically dislike her for that alone,” Althea was a threat at that point, after all.

“I mean, I get that, but now that Kylo’s gone, and Althea’s earned her place at Armitage’s side? Now she’s just being rude. It’s obvious Althea doesn’t like Kylo Ren and wasn’t really working for him of her own free well. Now she’s just being too protective,” Rani huffed, “She needs to apologize.”

Kos’tel’lanni nearly choked on her water as Rani said that. She managed not to so much as cough, but she did settle her drink back down on the table, “Apologize?” It wasn’t, necessarily, that Rani was wrong. Convincing Reveille of that, “For worrying over her brother?”

“For how she’s doing it! I’ll get her! I’ll talk to her!” Rani volunteered, and Kos’tel’lanni very nearly thought to grab her arm and pull her back down before she did something utterly stupid.

She opted not to, but she was mentally preparing herself to need to leave Takodana, for the inevitable punch Rani was about to receive.

~***~

Discord had wondered how Kylo would respond. It was certainly why she kept her own mouth shut. She knew that she would say ‘Nyx’, but she was curious if Kylo would. Their structure, and much else, was foreign to him. He had been given little but breadcrumbs to work with.

It seemed those breadcrumbs were enough.

Whether or not he believed it was another story, but for the moment, he was willing to sell it, “Hells,” Carric muttered, “At least this one isn’t hiding it like Palpatine,” though Carric did not appear happy for it.

Discord offered, “She has learned under Vader, it is true, but she has taken teachings from the Nightsisters as well. She understands more than Palpatine ever did, about community, about unity, about the Force. She is open with it, because she knows there is nothing to hide,” Discord answered, “You will see, when you meet her.”

“And when will that be?” He huffed.

“Soon,” she suggested, “At the moment she is busy with other matters, but once she knows you for an ally, you will know her for one, as well.”

Lavinia wanted to shrug and simply say that Reveille made her decision to just dislike her, and there was nothing that could be done by it. She even wanted to joke that maybe Reveille held an unhealthy attachment to her brother, but she bit back that retort.

Her eyes widened at Rani’s declaration. “What?” she squeaked out, but the woman was off before Lavinia could make any reaction. She stared at the spot Rani vacated, and then turned towards Kos’tel’anni.

“She’s about to cause a scene, isn’t she? Maybe we should go ahead and make our way back to the ship.” Though maybe Reveille wouldn’t do anything to Rani, but with how much alcohol she’s had? Maybe Reveille was an angry drunk, willing to fight anyone.

She definitely won’t like me after this.

~~

The Chiss seemed pleased with Kylo’s answer, and so he knew he responded correctly. They were the only allies he had at the moment, and he would do well to not anger them in any way.

Carric’s ultimate answer in their offer was still a mystery for him. He couldn’t gauge if he completely believed in what they were selling, but he figured it was a positive sign that he only continued to ask questions instead of outright denying them and sending them on their way.

“We do realize something of this magnitude may take some time to think over, but time is of the essence right now, while the First Order remains weakened.” Kylo’s not-so-subtle way of telling Carric that they would prefer an answer right then.

“When the First Order come, will you deny them your allegiance?”

Kos’tel’lanni nodded, “There is a…distinct possibility of a scene, but Reveille’s never hit anyone in Takodana before.” Reveille seemed to remember the rules in her intoxicated state. There might be shouting, though. She could definitely imagine shouting. “We’ll need to stay to make sure they get out,” Kos’tel’lanni added.
Even if it might be good to avoid it…she couldn’t abandon them. They both had to get back to the Order. Angry with each other or not.

And so she watched from her seat as Rani approached Reveille.

Terex was the one to perk up first, as Rani approached, and he arched a brow at her, “What do you want, flighty?”

Rani ignored him, “Reveille,” she spoke to her, and her gaze shifted over, “You were rude to Althea. Because Kylo made her a spy on your brother. He’s gone now. And Armitage likes her. You need to apologize for bad judgment.” She said it so matter-of-factly, so straight-faced, that Terex laughed.

Reveille assessed her as if she hadn’t heard. Althea’s own insults came back to mind, her disregard of position, and that fact – that fact Hux liked her – as well. That didn’t seem to be a reason to apologize. That still seemed all the more reason to dislike her. “No.” She stated it flatly. “I did enough when I defended her right not to be tortured.”

“Huh?” Terex cocked his head at that, and Reveille waved it off.

“Kylo was an asshole for no reason—”

“He did wrong – and so are you!” Rani insisted, drawing away from her explanation.

~***~

Carric hesitated with his answer, eyes shifting from Ben to Discord, “If I do deny them…I imagine their attack would be swift?”

“When they come to Corulag to ask for your loyalty, that is likely,” Discord consented. “You may attempt to stall, or negotiate. No one would be upset with that,” she said, “you can use that time to let us know, and we will see what we can do. It is not in our interest to let Corulag fall…nor any of our other allies.”

He would have to honor any alliances they made with other Core worlds. They would all have to be prepared to help one another, for any of this to work.

So, hesitantly, the Baron began to nod. “Yes, I…yes I think I can deny them.”

Lavinia audibly groaned. This could only end badly, she could feel it. “Reveille will be way too stubborn to agree to anything Rani says. I don’t know why she thinks she can change her mind.”

She couldn’t quite make out what they were saying over the noise of the cantina, but judging by their facial expressions, Reveille wasn’t very accepting of Rani’s demands. And Rani wasn’t letting up anytime soon.

“Do you think we should go over there and drag Rani away? Before anything else happens?” Rani looked small enough for her to drag away. And if she had the help of Kos’tel’lanni, they could easily and swiftly get the twi’lek away from Reveille before more was said. “She needs to know that nothing will change her mind at this point.”

And if Reveille was willing to apologize? Well, then Jakku would’ve also grown a lush forest.

~~

Kylo nodded, and once Carric spoke those words he wanted to hear, he nearly sighed in relief. Finally, he was able to accomplish a goal. Succeed in one damn thing.

“When they come to you, they will allow you a few days to think about their offer. In that time, you can notify us of what is happening, and we’ll do what we can to protect Corulag.” He nearly reiterated Discord’s point. By the time that moment came, he hoped they would have more allies to help, more planets willing to rise against the First Order.

He leaned forward in his seat, extending a hand in a silent confirmation of their agreement. “We thank you in allowing us the chance to show you what the First Order is really about.” And now their plans could begin in undermining the Order.

“Do you have any more questions you would like to ask while we’re still here?”

Kos’tel’lanni couldn’t help the amused look she shot towards Lavinia, “And you know Reveille so well to know that, do you?” Technically, Rani knew Reveille better. The problem was the intoxication level, and Reveille’s own state besides that. Wounded pride and wounded body rarely made for good decisions. Add in alcohol, and she would likely be determined to be stubborn a while longer.

But the reason she and Rani both liked Reveille was her sense of logic. Her ability to come around.

“I should leave you two alone,” Terex chuckled, rising as Rani stood there, defiant. He patted Reveille’s shoulder as he got up, “Have fun with your insubordinate subordinates, Grand Marshall,” he smirked, before leaving the area, an act that only seemed to increase Reveille’s irritation.

Now her escape was gone. “So I have to apologize but she doesn’t, is that it?”

You’re the one who should do better. You’re the one with the higher rank. You’re supposed to be an example.” Rani reminded, each remark emphasized with a point of her finger at Reveille, as if the gesture could help, somehow, in driving it home. “She was thrown into a position she didn’t want and she wasn’t given the training on how to act.”

“I believe all officers are given training on how to act around superiors, Rani.”

“I don’t care! She was data analysis, you know they’re not – not the most tactful,” Rani reached out with that extended hand and clasped Reveille’s shoulder, leaning into it more because of the alcohol than anything else. Reveille didn’t look pleased to be touched, at all. “She didn’t betray him. She’s not gonna betray him – Kylo’s gone now. It’s okay now. Just…just tell her you’re sorry. You were afraid. You misjudged her.”

“You assume too much.” Reveille glowered, not enjoying the assumptions Rani made, even if some were accurate. And the last thing she wanted to do was apologize, only to have it thrown back into her face. Althea seemed as petty as any of them, if her insubordination was any indication.

~***~

Carric took the extended hand. He still wanted to ask about Ben Solo and the First Order. The history there was fascinating, curious, but he knew Ben hadn’t spoken of that for a reason. Perhaps now was not the time to pry, to learn why he went, and why he left. Perhaps when the alliance was better, he could question it a bit more.

As such, he shook his head, “No – well, besides how to get in touch.”

Discord lifted herself up and took a datapad out from within her robes, “I can give you my and Nyx’s contact information.”

“Ah – yes, that will be useful,” the Baron dug out his own datapad and quickly took the information, allowing his own information to be transferred to Discord’s pad so she would be able to reach him, as well.

Lavinia couldn’t help the scoff she emitted. “Well, she seems to think she knows me well enough to already be set in her opinions.” Her impression of Reveille thus far have been less than stellar, and to have the woman change her mind would be an unexpected twist.

Still, Reveille hadn’t punched Rani yet, and from what she could see, the woman had yet to yell at Rani. That was surprising. No, she didn’t look particularly happy, but verbal assault, or physical assault, was yet to be thrown around.

“But I will hold my disbelief for the time being,” she added with a murmur. It’s the least she could try to do, to show that she was also making an attempt at being friendly. And if Rani and Reveille made attempts to patch things, then she could too.

~~

Kylo was quite pleased with how everything turned out. He could only hope that Carric would play his part well when the time came, and that he didn’t fold under the pressure of the First Order.

If everything went according to plan, he would just love to see Reveille’s reaction to how their own plans were crumbling before them. And if his Knight managed to snag the Serenno scientist? An even sweeter victory.

“Thank you, again, for seeing our reasoning in this.” Kylo rose to his feet once the information was exchanged. “You will not regret this at all.” And he had every intention to not let the First Order take this planet.

“And, obviously, for the time being, let’s keep the contents of this meeting under tight wraps. Be sure that no one knows we were here.” If word escaped that Ben Solo had met with the baron of Corulag, then his footsteps could easily get traced, endangering all of his plans. As well as his life.

‘And so do you.’ Kos’tel’lanni didn’t comment on the hypocrisy, that Lavinia also seemed to think she knew Reveille well enough to be so certain of her opinion. It was tempting to follow after Rani and try her own hand at persuading Reveille, but she could already tell Rani was getting away with it.

The fact that Reveille wasn’t reacting negatively – not yelling, nor striking – indicated she wasn’t yet drunk enough to forget where she was, and so she was likely still in her own mind. Still aware enough for whatever Rani was saying to sink in, even if it was taking a bit longer for it to be digested.

It was sinking in, much as Reveille didn’t like, much as she wanted to hold her dislike for Althea for a while longer until she found the proof she was certain was there – that Althea was someone terrible, someone her brother shouldn’t trust, and someone she shouldn’t trust, either. But what proof did she have? Insubordination? That in itself wasn’t evidence.

Kylo had thrown her into the mess, and she had risen to the challenge when given a chance. She didn’t have the details, but she knew her brother didn’t lightly allow people to remain at his side.

‘But he was wrong about Phasma.’ Was he, though? Something still said he was, but it would remain unproven, lost in the deaths around Phasma, the thousands that Reveille couldn’t prove she was responsible for, and the one she knew for certain – the secrets Phasma kept. Terex had figured out a few for her. Enough for her to mistrust Phasma to the end.

But no one had anything on Althea, other than she’d been thrown into a position and told to make it work, and she had done just that. So as Rani opened her mouth to argue more, she pushed herself from the counter, giving Rani a look that shut her up immediately – though Reveille couldn’t say she liked that look of hope on her face, that barely contained glee. A part of her wanted to crush it, but she knew that was her lingering bitterness for being wrong, and her desire to get out of there, more than anything.

Kos’tel’lanni at least had the decency to not look smug when Reveille returned to the area they’d claimed, and she met Althea’s gaze.

“Lieutenant Storax,” formality was easier than familiarity. They weren’t familiars. “It has been brought to my attention that you have proven yourself in your position to my brother, enough that he does not wish to dismiss you from his side immediately, even with Kylo Ren now absent from the Order. This means I have misjudged you and your intentions at his side, as well as your intentions for the First Order, and for that I am sorry for allowing my bias against you to cause me to mistreat you earlier. I suspected you were in league with Kylo Ren and did not allow myself to see beyond that to the truth of the matter, where you were just another pawn in his game, controlled by fear, like so many others.”

Like the entirety of the Order.

“Now if you’ll all excuse me, I didn’t want to be here from the start, so I’m going back to the ship.” She didn’t want to give Althea a moment to gloat, either. There was only so much her pride could take in a day.

~***~

Carric certainly hoped he wouldn’t have reason to regret this, as he rose, although he suspected he would. From Tarkin and Leia, or from the First Order, he didn’t know. He supposed that at least Tarkin and Leia weren’t going to be attacking him any time soon, unless he did align with the First Order. Even then, it felt unlikely. His only true enemy in all of this, for the time being, was the Order.

With any luck, Corulag wouldn’t be on their list for a while as they rebuilt.

He nodded at Ben’s suggestion, “I won’t be speaking of it,” obviously, the Order didn’t need to know his decision, or what had transpired here – that someone was working against them. They were probably aware to some degree, “Will I…will I be informed of others who agree?”

“Yes,” Discord answered, “We will put you in dialogue soon with the others.” As if they had others in the Core yet.

Well, she was certain they would soon, if things worked out this easily.

The Baron seemed satisfied with that, “Then let me see you two out, at least.”

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back