February Newsletter

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Fellows

The One Account to Rule Them All

RpNation Crest.png

Newsletter

Ello, Lovelies!

Another month has passed, and now it’s time for the second Newsletter! I hope y’all enjoyed the first, and that this one brings you just as much entertainment. With the beginning of February, and Single Awareness day ( ;) ), we have brought you many delights this month! We have horoscopes and we have a very delicious recipe picked especially for you, user-sempai!!

As always, new ideas are welcome. If you have any ideas that you believe that we should consider for inclusion in a future Newsletter, please send me a PM, and I'll run it by the Fellows!

Many Hearts~

~ @Darth Pai

[/justify][/size][/border][/fieldset][/column][/row]

Featured Novel and Song

February, the month of love and chocolate. Yes, this a time for cherishment and meaningful advances. this month, we could all use a taste of love at its finest, and where else to look, but this month's Book of the Month and Song of the Month. As we put our special someones close to heart, let us bring to heart these heartfelt masterpieces and remember the lessons we can all learn from them.

Book of the Month

Love is in the air this month, and what better way to make the times seem even more special, besides reading a good book? Our featured book of the month comes from the author Elizabeth Laban. After working at NBC news for a time, teaching at a community college, and writing articles for several different editorials and magazines throughout her life, Elizabeth brings to us a harrowing tale of love and acceptance in @Darth Pai[/right]

To start the new year off with some good news- you were told that Roleplay of the Month is coming back for the 2015 year, along with Member of the Month! For the past month I have been scouring rps, looking for one that fit all the right criteria- desperate for an answer. You know from statistics alone how much I've looked through, but I found the answer in one Fandom roleplay.

Not only that, but the popular fandom of Pokemon- a world I'm sure we have all seen hashed a rehashed a million times. However, the owner has taken this vehicle and used it for his benefit, melding it into a framework that he is the driving force behind. A detailed roleplay that has accepted many a player, January's Roleplay of the Month is...

Pokemon: Worlds Unfurled

And now some words from the GM:

What inspired you to start RPing? Was there someone in particular who helped you grow, or did you learn on your own?

My role-play experience started when I was 9 years old, so about 16 years ago now. It began with my best friend who lived down the street about 2 minutes from my house and we would role-play whatever the craze was at the time in the backyard or at our neighborhood elementary school. Such crazes as Pokémon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Dragon ball Z, Legend of Zelda, Jurassic Park, and more.

You name it, we role-played it.

The two of us role-played together all throughout late elementary school, middle school, and into high school until he moved away and that's when I began role-playing online on my own with anyone I could find no matter where it was. Myspace (of all places) was where I began first, with roleplaygateway coming in second, and finally settling here on rpnation recently within the last year or two. My growth came not just from my experiences with my best friend growing up, but everyone I ever encountered online who was able to create a compelling character or role-play environment for me to absorb and catalogue for myself.

I can learn and grow from just about any source so long as it has an impact on me.

Where did you come up with the idea for your roleplay?

My RP, Pokémon: Worlds Unfurled, was inspired by two sources. One was the Pokémon franchise as a whole, and the other was my love of drama in all manner of medium from tv to novels and more. Combining the drama of true and realistic danger scenarios (such as my character Skaura being shot through the chest as a demonstration and warning of Team Rocket's power) with the typically peaceful environment most Pokémon fans are used to was what got me started. As I started writing the RP's overview page the rest just flowed naturally until the RP became what it is now. A brutal, realistic take on a world where Pokémon and humans both interact and conflict in all manner of ways.

What is the first RP you remember being a part of?

The first RP I was ever a part of was a Legend of Zelda live action role-play with my best friend growing up. We changed the story of Ocarina of Time to suit two heroes, both taking our own unique names but filling in Link's rather legendary shoes as best we could (though we failed miserably in the early days as we were both still learning how to tell a story).

My first online role-play was an RP called "New Blood," which was a pirate role-play designed by another good friend of mine who I have known since I was four years old. However, I've never been good at pirate banter. "Yarr matey" is about all I've got. So I instead designed an ex-assassin turned bounty hunter with my friend's permission, and that was the beginning of something else entirely for me.

What are you planning for your next RP masterpiece?

My next RP is hardly a masterpiece, but it's called "Life Untold" and it just recently re-opened after a previously unsuccessful run on another site due to flaky players.

The inspiration for the RP's world design comes from the manga/anime Sword Art Online, commonly known to fans simply as SAO.

What separates this RP from SAO is the overall story, which differs greatly from the source material. In SAO, the game creator made it so that when the player's avatar was killed in game a shock went through the headset connected to the real world player and killed them IRL (In Real Life). The desire to escape the nightmare world where death is real worked for SAO, but not for me or this RP.

Instead, Life Untold goes a different route choosing to explore the possibility that one day virtual reality will become the "only" reality that's worth experiencing. The RP's in game world is so realistic and so lifelike that even the NPC's seem too real to be programs. In game you can feel the wind and the warmth of the sun. You can smell all the different scents in the air. You can experience anything and everything a real world life has to offer a human being including illness, hunger, thirst, pain, infections, heart burn, constipation, and more.

The question "Is this really virtual?" has been asked in many stories such as the Matrix, to name one famous example, but this RP will bring it right to the forefront and slap you in the face with it. The RP is dense and complicated, but I'm hoping to enjoy it with other dedicated players very soon.

What is your favorite part of planning an RP? World building, character building or plot building?

World building is by far my favorite part. Designing a world that I see in my head and bringing it to life as best I can is one of the most rewarding experiences of being a writer/story teller.

Challenges from how the average joe citizen reacts to the player controlled characters, how the weather affects our progress, how the environment can either help or hinder us, how the slightest miscalculation can lead to sudden death, where and when the best places to search for information are. All of those things and many, many more are thrilling to contemplate and the best part is that you never actually get to them all. There's always something new that presents itself along the way and makes you say "I should have thought of that before!"

But then you can use that the next time you design an RP, and it only gets better and easier with time to make the RP's fuller and fuller of information and worldly charm.

Do you have any advice for other GMs on the site?

The single best piece of advice I can give to other GM's, especially those who are younger or newer to creating role-plays is this: Stand by your choices as the GM when designing your world and rules.

No matter what kind of RP you make. No matter what genre it is. No matter the source material if it's fandom. No matter how careful you are about how you word your rules, there will always be those players who never join or say something like "Oh I was going to join until I saw this," and then they disappear.

As a GM, you exist to bring to life a world for others to become a part of and enjoy on your terms. That's the whole point of making a set of rules to go along with your world. You own the world, you run the world, and the others are here by your graces and your permission. It's not the other way around.

Never, and I mean
never, rework or restyle your RP because one person said "Oh this makes me want to go to another RP!"

Such players are not worth changing your RP for. Stand by your choices and stand by your creation. If they can't appreciate the hard work and effort you went through to make it for them to enjoy, then that's their problem and not yours to worry about.

What would you say is your greatest strength when it comes to writing? And your greatest weakness?

My greatest strength when it comes to writing is my confidence in everything that I do.

As a GM, I am proud of the worlds and characters I create and am never afraid to use them to their full potential.

When I set out to create a world for others to join and enjoy, I do so knowing that the world is good enough for me from the get go and that it will be good enough for others as well. The ideas in my head are the final product. They just haven't been put on the page yet. The world which I see in my mind's eye is my canvass, and the characters are my tools and brushes with which to sculpt, paint, or sketch the reality I envision and bring it to life for all to see and experience.

My characters are as detailed as I can make them. When I create a character, I do so by imagining myself as that character. Who am I? Where do I come from? What is my family history? What is the goal I have for my future? Why is my goal my goal? Where do I want my goal to lead me? What obstacles do I expect to get in my way? What obstacles do I think might be able to stop me versus those which cannot stop me? All these questions and more are answered in every character I make.

My greatest weakness as a role-player/GM is actually my greatest strength, my confidence.

I have been role-playing for 16+ years now, and have a very advanced grasp of the English language and a strong sense for what I want and an unflinching willpower when it comes to enforcing my rules. As such, I am usually a daunting figure to those who join my RP's. My rules, guidelines, and thorough mechanics have more than once driven people away or made them nervous about joining. I know because many have told me as much.

To some I can often come off as arrogant, but the line between confidence and arrogance is thin and in my mind I have yet to cross it. Others don't see it that way though. More than once I have butted heads with other role-players who were less than happy about my proud and unflinching enforcement of my rules and my intolerance for their behavior in return.

To provide an example: A role-play I created on another site a few years ago was called "Ghost Warriors," an RP about an elite group of black ops soldiers put together in a team for the first time after working solo careers for several years.

One individual was portraying a counter-tracking expert and did everything they were supposed to. Nnother member was a different kind of soldier which had little to no knowledge of tracking, and did everything that would count as God-Modding.

... I'll give you three guesses which one ended up on my naughty list and had a conflict with me at the end.

The scene to open the RP was that our characters were all meant to rendezvous at a certain location in the Brazilian jungle in the dead of night in preparation for a surgical strike on a local drug facility. It's the jungle. It's nighttime. Visibility and light levels in such an environment are next to zero.

Somehow the individual without tracking knowledge managed to track the counter tracking expert (who specified that he hid his tracks using every trick in the book) in near pitch black darkness in this jungle environment in the dead of night and "apprehended" him because he was observing the rest of the cast through his rifle scope because he was a little hesitant to jump in and join them until he was sure it was actually his team. As he apprehended the counter tracking expert the owner of the character detailed in his response post that his counter tracking expert character had his back turned to him the whole time had a hidden firearm (pistol) concealed under his body armor on his chest. After that post went up, the other member then conveniently said "Oh, you thought I didn't see that?" and took the concealed weapon away.

How did you track a counter tracking expert in near pitch black darkness in the jungle at night? How did you conveniently see a weapon that was never shown to you and hidden under the body armor on his chest when you were facing his back the whole time?

The answer: God-Modding.

After bringing the counter tracking expert to "justice" before the rest of us my character, having been the designated team leader, was justifiably less than pleased about the "apprehension" and gave the offending character an earful about his mistake and lack of respect for his teammate.

This set the actual player in control of the other soldier off, and he proceeded to yell at me and argue with me about "How come my character is being treated like he's the bad guy?" and "How come everyone else is turning against me?"

Nobody was turning against him. His character was not being treated like a bad guy, but like a disrespectful teammate who needed to understand he was not in command and that such disrespect was not conducive to their mission. His sudden and convenient confiscation of the hidden weapon was an example of God-Modding, as was his ability to track a counter tracking expert in near pitch black night time conditions.

I called him out on every mistake and violation of my rules and guidelines he made, and yet he tried to treat me like I was some kind of arrogant jerk who was just trying to power play him out of the RP for whatever his strange and made up reason was. In all honesty I was happy to see him leave, as it was his arrogance and his disregard for the rules and for the reality which was facing his character IC that got him kicked from the RP.

I enforce my rules with great conviction and have an unbending will which usually puts people off.

I'd say that this confidence in myself and in my rules and RP guidelines is my biggest weakness, which is ironically also my greatest strength.

Any plans for Valentine's Day?

My girlfriend and I have plans to enjoy the day together as we both enjoy more casual relaxation than formal or forced overly romantic scenarios.

Coffee, tea or neither?

Neither. I can't drink coffee, as it puts me to sleep. And I've never been a fan of tea (sad for me).

With each new year comes some fresh ideas into the sight, and while our Member of the Month may not be brand spanking new as of this month, they've proven they have what it takes to go above and beyond what is expected of them.

Not only are they helpful to new members trying to settle in and find their niche, they've also shown to be more than willing to lend a hand to the older members trying to learn a new style of roleplaying. This member has gone above what we expect from our roleplay creators, making his own roleplaying system that is super expansive and lively. Even in our site chat he's keeping things fun, while at the same time, being educational in the matters he speaks on.

And so, after creeping through their postings, watching their every move like a hawk, I'm proud to say that January's Member of the Month is...

grey_by_aurenbunni-d8gk5v0.png

@Grey!!

And now some words from the MotM himself:

What are some hobbies you enjoy, besides roleplaying?

I write, for one. I guess that's more of a career choice, long-term, but I enjoy it. I play a lot of videogames, and I like dissecting films or TV shows with friends. Watching is only half of it - the rest is making predictions, jokes, and stealing ideas.

If you could have one superpower what would it be? Why?

Telekinesis. Subtle, versatile, great for making an entrance or getting Parliament to sit down, shut up, and start implementing my grand designs.

What is, in your opinion, the best thing you've ever written?

Tough, tough, tough. I am rarely entirely satisfied with anything, only satisfied enough for now. Nightshift received huge positive feedback from fans, but my writing was only half of that. I suppose I've always been largely pleased with Brief Lives. But it's not about the last project, it's about the next one.

What is one of your favorite books and why?

One? You want me to pick one? Probably The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami.

If you could do only one of the following things, which would you choose and why? Bungie Jumping into the Grand Canyon, starring in one episode of your favorite television show, beta testing a new video game system or having something you've written published in a magazine?

The publishing, probably. Seems like it'd potentially lead to at least the bungie jumping thing.

How long have you been roleplaying/writing?

I've been writing since I first attempted - for some goddamn reason - to adapt Resident Evil into a play at the age of eleven or twelve. In retrospect that was more like an early attempt at roleplaying, before I know what it was. Roleplaying since around 2003, I think. Online chatrooms, mainly - didn't started playing tabletop until 2007.

What is the earliest character you can remember creating? Did you like the character? Do you still?

The earliest I can remember is an utterly terrible Gary Stu - all-powerful incarnation of 'balance' in the form of a robed guy with Sephiroth hair and an ice-themed demon sharing his body, existing as a ghostly sword coming from his arm. Of course I liked him then - he was basically all id for my angsty teenage self. Now, of course I don't. Utter garbage.

Do you have any pets?

No, alas. My lease doesn't allow for it, but I used to have an adorable, permanently concussed cat named Prat. He'd walk into the kitchen in the morning and start yelling, and if you leaned down he'd rise up to put his paws around your neck and start nuzzling your chin as if he forgot food was even a thing. I miss that cat. He was the best cat.

A penguin walks through that door right now wearing a sombrero. What does he say and why is he here?

P-penguin? I've seen no penguin haha. That's, uh, clearly a tourist if there is indeed anyone there.

Sounds of gun cocking.

Both Interviews Conducted by~

@Elle Joyner

[/size]
[/size][/justify][/size][/size]

I didn't catch the first one, must have joined after the last one, but this is well written out and organized.

I love the addition of the recipe of the month! And the fact that pancakes are featured... Yum. ^.^

Anyway. Congratulations to everyone who has a featured thread!

I love reading these ^u^ theyre adorable, great job guys c: (:3)

CrimsonAvenger77 said:
This newsletter is gorgeous. Out of curiosity, how does one become a fellow?
It is an exemplary member of the site that is chosen by the administration. More information can be found in the FAQ, I believe.

Aw i really liked the old chat system it was really cool. I could chat anytime without opening a new tab or window which slows down my shit pc a bit.

Oh, this is so neat! :3 Lovely, indeed~good work, everyone :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back