Fearful Symmetry - Kronner

Grey

Dialectical Hermeticist
Morning pushes unwelcome fingers through your window and rouses you to another dismal day; the clouds roll in and start to mist almost before you open your eyes. Another beautiful day in Chicago.

You wrapped up a case last night; he thought it was an affair, she had a World of Warcraft problem. Weird, but easy money.

No there's nothing on your plate, but by the time you get to the office there'll be something.

Always is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rubbing the sleep from his eyes, Marcus rose from his bed, dropping to the floor for his morning exercises. He believed in keeping in shape, to balance out his smoking and coffee drinking. A splash of water invigorated him. After dressing in his usual business outfit, navy jeans and a white shirt, he grabbed a quick bite to eat before fishing his keys out of their bowl and walking out the door, prepared for a new day as a freelance detective.

As soon as he entered his small office, he placed his mobile and wallet in their usual drawer and checked the lock one for his work gun. It was still there.

"Well then, let the waiting begin." he whispered to himself, sighing.

It's a long, dull morning before someone knocks at your door.

A skinny guy - young, but hard to place, dressed in an ill-fitting suit made worse by his tendency to hunch. Immaculate hair and close shave, though. Maybe he got up in hurry a today.

"Mr. Kronner?"

He offers a cool, dry hand to shake, blinking nervously.

His fingers stopped beating a rhytm on the desk stopped. Rising from his seat, he extended his hand and shook the stranger's.

"That'll be me. Please, have a seat." he motioned to the man.

Marcus didn't know what it was. Could've been the clothes or the anxiousness, but he had a feeling in his gut.

"So, what can I do for you, mister ... ?" Marcus raised his eyebrow questioningly.

"Mister Lister," the man replies, and then snigger - a shotgun-blast of an ugly little laugh, followed by an embarrassed cough.

"S-sorry. Anti-anxiety meds make me a little loopy, sometimes. I need your help. I think... I think my son is doing drugs and I don't know how to be sure. He's always clean but..."

After listening, Markus sighed. Guess his instinct was a bit rusty.

"Very well, mister Lister. Today, there are many drugs that do not come up on a tox screen."

Picking up a pen and drawing a paper closer, the private eye started questioning the man.

"So, since when do you think your son has been doing drugs and why do you think that? Have you noticed anything strange in his behaviour lately? Has his regular daily schedule changed somehow recently? Does he have a girlfriend or friends that are suspicious in any way? Where does he usually hang out and with whom? Have you noticed anything out of place, for example, some of your money missing? If not, then how do you think your son supposedly procures drugs? Does he have some sort of a safe where he could be hiding anything he shouldn't be having?"

Markus looked at the customer during the entire interogation, waiting patiently for answers to the most obvious questions at that time.

"He's..." Lister swallows hard. "He's made some friends. He's seventeen, and I'm sure how old they are but... older? Like a gang. I think they're a gang. He stays out late, skips classes... I don't know where he goes on weekends. He seems so angry."

He clasps his hands and looks down.

"I don't know where he goes or where he keeps anything. He's like a different person."

Markus wrote down everything the man said.

"Where does he go to school? Has he said any of his new friends' names, by chance? Have you ever seen any of them? If so, do any of them have anything distinctive about them? Something one could use to identify them by. Anything would be helpful. Also, would you allow me to go through his room and belongings, if it'll be needed?"

He gives you the school's address, but can't name friends. He mentions that one of them is a very tall, broad girl with intricate tattoos on her left arm.

He rubs his bicep, like a bashful kid in an old cartoon.

"I don't know if you could search his room, that... that seems a step too far."

Putting his pen down, Markus faced the man.

"Look, sir, I think that you came to me because you don't want this issue to escalate. While you're uncertain that your son is doing anything wrong, he may be, so it's better if I handle this, with discretion, rather than he get caught by the authorities sooner or later. I reckon you don't want that, which is why you sought me out, correct?" he said.

"Y-yeah," he replies, scratching the back of his head. "I guess... I guess it's necessary?"

He nods, to himself. "Yeah. Yeah, sure. Uh, when? Do you.... you need to check it out now?"

Clearing his throat, Markus sat straight. "Whenever possible, really, there's no urgency, but the sooner, the better, I'd say, before things escalate. I will also investigate the school for any recent suspicious activity. If he is doing drugs, at his age, it's most likely a dealer that is either going to his school or deals somewhere close by."

Reaching into his drawer, he pulled out a card of his and handed it to the man. "My number's on there, for whenever you need to call me about anything related, or to come by and inspect the house, if now's not a good time."

"Uh," he hesitates again, then takes the card. "Th-thanks. I'll call soon."

He leaves you alone in your office with halting steps. He's almost embarrass just to watch.

Sighing as the man left the room, Markus started looking through his notes from during the meeting. He didn't think it would be much of a hassle. Was gonna require some legwork, but that was preferred to staying cooped up in his office all day, as he usually did. He looked at his watch. Still some time left before he could close shop and go investigate some of his leads. He didn't think that someone else would come over today.

Aside an old lady who thinks you are the person to find her cat, not a peep all the working day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back