TV & Film Favourite horror films?

Nue

Okay, I know it isn't October yet, but I'm already in a really spooky mood, and ready to break out the horror flicks. So what are some of your favourite horror movies, and why?
totally not because i need more suggestions lol

warning i listed a lot bc i love horror

One really underrated one I love is Lake Mungo. It's in sort of a 'mockumentary' format and follows a family trying to deal with the death of their daughter. It's definitely one of the more depressing horror movies out there, and there's a scene at the end that aaabsolutely made my skin crawl.

Blaire Witch Project is also a good one imo, but kind of divisive - the found footage is either 'love it or hate it', I guess. It wasn't the first, but it's definitely one of my fave found footage ones.

Hereditary is another one of those horribly depressing ones, and definitely not a popcorn flick, but it is great, honestly. T h a t S c e n e (if you've seen it, you know exactly what I mean) honestly had me feeling nauseous it was that tense.

Get Out is both scary and funny, it's also an example of how allegory creates the best horror films. You can have a plot that is unrealistic or impossible to occur in real life, but it's still terrifying because it taps into a very real fear, and Get Out does this well. If you like Get Out you'll probably also like Us, another Peele film, which is just as great imo, although it's message is a lot less 'on the nose' and it's plot is way more implausible, so if that sort of thing distracts you in a horror film, you may not enjoy it as much.

Audition is a Takashi Miike film, who is known mostly for horrifically violent films, but also bizarrely has directed a lot of completely benign children's films, which is just something I find interesting. Audition falls into the former category, of course. It'll give you a lifelong fear of piano wire, and I wouldn't recommend watching it if you're particularly sensitive to long scenes of bodily harm. Most people tend to only really talk about the last 15 minutes of the movie, but the whole movie is interesting, imo.

The Shining is a classic, just watch it if you haven't already

Eraserhead is.. listen, I don't really know if it's supposed to be a horror, per se. Its definitely disturbing, so I'm just gonna add it here. The singing lady is kinda cute though.

(I have a ton more to list, but I'll just leave it there for now)

I loooove Lost Boys, The Shining, Pet Sematary (both honestly), Blair Witch Project (The new one... I haven't seen the old one), The Others, The Village.. Honestly anything by Stephen King and M. Night Shyamalan. But Misery is another one of my favorites...Honestly I just love watching scary movies cx

Midsommar is my latest fav. I love the lore and the arc the main characters takes. The grief she exudes feels so damn genuine that it's hard not to hurt for her. Hereditary gets an honorable mention here as it also deals with emotion(specifically grief again) so damn well. Ari Aster is on point!

John Carpenter's The Thing is an oldie but it's also SO well done. The monster is terrifying and the ambiguous ending leaves me with chills every time. The scream the monster emits during the scene with Bennings is on par with the scream at the end of the 1978 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. It creeps me out, man.

Alien and Aliens also gets a mention mostly out of nostalgia. These two were a favorite growing up and perhaps the first of the horror genre I'd seen.

Signs. I saw this one in theaters and FREAKED OUT at the one scene where Merrill watches the first appearance of the extraterrestrials on tv. The tone this movie has is so incredibly eerie and I honestly love horror/scary movies like that. They're not outright scary so much as unsettling the whole way through.

It Follows and The Babadook also get a mention here. They're genuinely out to scare you in refreshing ways. Like, I love the twist at the end of Babadook and the looming danger of the spirit in It Follows freaks me out. Seeing something coming at a character in the background without them noticing makes for a TENSE watch.

Paranormal Activity and The Blair Witch Project are a couple of the only found footage films I can remotely tolerate. They were pretty good scares, too! I've a fear of loud thuds in dark places so PA got me REAL good.

Anyways... Those are the ones that stuck with me the most. I don't know if they all count as a horror movie but they're there nonetheless. Enjoy!

Horror? Hmm, The Hills Have Eyes is great. Ginger Snaps series. Insidious though I don't know if that counts as horror. IT and Chucky series is a classic.

It's more of a short film than a movie, but Possibly in Michigan will always be a big favorite of mine! So many striking images all jammed together.

Other people already gave out a bulk of the English horror films I enjoyed so I don't need to list them again. I want to recommend Lord of Tears and The Exorcism of Emily Rose though. But, I think I'll focus on some Asian suggestions:

May the Devil Take You (Indonesian, 2018) is a good one. The possessed girl's acting is on point and legitimately gave me the creeps as I was watching.

One Missed Call (Japanese, 2003) also makes it to my list here. The original Japanese release trumps the western remake IMHO.

The Eye (Hong Kong-Singapore, 2002) has a pretty chilling story with scary imagery and voice clips. We basically play it whenever we want my younger sister to take her afternoon nap. The diner scene legitimately gave me creeps. (not sure if that was the sequel though, it was a long time ago)

Seklusyon (Filipino, 2016) was very impressive. It's about a group of initiates about to be ordained as full-fledged priests and thus, have to participate in a ritual step of seclusion, where they are cut off in a small house in the woods. The film plays into the concepts of misplaced faith, sin and temptation which makes for a hair-raising viewing.

Eerie (Filipino, 2018) is pretty good. As per its namesake, it is able to maintain said eerie atmosphere all throughout the film and makes good use of its set and colors to evoke that feeling. I did find the plot to be quite predictable though but the chilling atmosphere more than makes up for it.

Soooo, I really love vintage, black and white horror.

Dracula (1931)
Dracula's Daughter (1936) This one's gay!
The Haunting (1963)

And several others that I can't think of right now

No one's gonna talk about Hereditary? I'd admit I'm a little disappointed by the reveal in the end (like the ultimate goal, like all this just for that?) But the atmosphere, the hints throughout the film, and the way everything's tied together is just so impressive, makes you really realize that the main characters' fates are determined since the beginning. It's a rare horror that actually crept me out and left me thinking for a long time without any jump-scares. Also introduced me to A24 too, will check out more of their films.

Another old but gold classic is The Grudge, favorite childhood horror, both the original Japanese version and the American version are good. Unfortunately, The Grudge 2 and 3 just slowly go downhill (The Grudge 3 is just lowkey horrible especially when the director changed.) It's so cliche but for me pretty well-made. Japanese/Asian horror is always good at creeping you out.

Serendipity.
Has anyone else thought that the human heart is both the most terrifying, and most beautiful thing under the heavens?

Or any romance movie ever. That stuff gives me chills down my spine.

I like the grudge and other similar titles. Though primarily preferring Korean ones like I Saw The Devil.

If we go less seriously/hardcore,
Jeepers creepers,
The hills have eyes,
Blair witch,
And Paranormal activity mostly but later titles generally just remind of grudge 2 - 3. Ehhhhgh.

I used to have the grudge movie but lost it, so I looked it up on directtv when I had it. Apparently there's a LGBT channel that was about to show it so I marked it down to go to when it comes on. Even though it sounds so divisional, they actually showed some good horror movies that every other channel wasn't doing or was spamming random films I've seen fifty times. I would certainly keep watching the channel for horror movies, since TNT and all like cramming wonder woman and all down our throats every five minutes. THAT alone is horror in of itself.

I dunno, American horror titles just seem to mostly be more cartoony or watered alcohol, in comparison to the freaky deaky fucked up shit in the east. That pretty much goes on a even higher intricate level we have yet to surpass let alone equal. And some weird mythologies and legends. It annoys me how some aren't even in English, but what can you do. Only those with mutants, parasitic themes, or religion seems on par to me. Atmospheric feeling is a larger role for other countries too.

Also, I can take them seriously than our titles more, because when you have them do subtle things in a background or crawling on the floor, the whole wide eyed, tilted head, strange zombie gait, or just standing there doing that and pale, it just looks concerning. You don't get that as easily with some random blonde "cali-gal" which the usual role in films is either the first to die, a weird [insert trait here] interest, the protag, or as the cute but dumb archetype. And there's just some weird concern thing I get when seeing an oriental woman doing even miniscule but still relatively creepy shit, than when everyone else is doing it. They just scare me more. It ain't even gotta be a horror film, just grab a knife and stand there. Good enough for me to go from stereotypical bearded wise man with squinting eyes, to immediate wide eyed shock.

Also 2018 Eerie was pretty neat. But not a whole lot I can exactly talk about, since it's more of an environmental piece than a story. The OG shining was great both atmospherically and in the story, with our main guy slowly driven nuts. Though in I think it was a Netflix remake, they make the character development towards that a lot better, but everything else doesn't feel the same.

Ohh there are so many!

Oculus was great, for example. Just pure mind-playing. You end up watching that film like 'oh... OH CRAP!... wait what?... Ohhh okay..."

A film that marked me for life was' the heritage'. That sound the girl always makes... And then after she died...
Just the end was really really odd and got me sitting there 'heck?'

I also really enjoyed that one horror film... I unfortunately forgot the title.
It was about a psychiatrist who gets possessed by a ghost and kills her husband. She's brought to a psychiatry later one, where she realizes she can sense the supernatural and find out about a colleague who kidnaps and locks women in his basement. She follows the ghosts and finds her, rescuing her.
Somewhat like that, but it's been a while.

And... Silent hill. I love silent hill X3

-Freddy Vs Jason
-IT (2017)
-IT Chapter 2 (2019)
-Freddy Vs Jason
-Friday the 13th
-30 Days of Night

I thought Candyman was a really good and depressing movie.

I would also have to say SAW in terms of the concept, but eventually it got really... sidetracked. At least Spiral seems like a possible attempt to try to revitalize the series.

My favorite horror movie would definitely have to be The Blair Witch Project. My reason for it is that it is done in such a way that makes the viewer really drawn in and almost a part of the movie, at least in my opinion.

the blair witch project was pretty cool. i also enjoyed both the it movies. though it's not really a film, i also really enjoyed the huanting of hill house! best horror i've seen in a while.

The only horror film that really had me on edge that I can remember is The Thing. I haven't seen that many horror films though. That said, there were probably other films that would be classified as horror that I liked too but nothing comes to mind.

I personally love Lights Out, I think the cinematography is amazing. I also love VHS and Creep because found footage.

I don't really watch that much horror movies.
IT Chapter 1 and 2 is the latest 'horror' movies I watched. I am sorry but It is hard to take it seriously for me.
Not sure if I am cheating here but a really good horror anime I've watched recently is called 'Yami Shibai' you can find it on Crounchyroll under the name ''Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories''.
You have to be premium member to watch it tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back