Literature Favourite author/poet?

bubblefly

the milk of human kindness
I'm honestly not the biggest reader in the world, but poetry and deep and meaningful short stories are my absolute favourite. As I don't read a lot, I don't have a large range of authors or poets that I love.
Angela Carter is my favourite author and my favourite book by her is called 'The Bloody Chamber', it would be awesome to hear if anyone else has read it or even heard of it.
I don't actually have a favourite poet as I like to read one off poems or just delve into random poetry books to find something original and inspirational. There is a Scottish poet that I've read, but for the love of God I can't remember his name, so that kind of sucks.

Who're you favourite authors/poets? I'd love to hear recommendations.

I have a few lately I’ve been confused about what’s normal for a person who is asexual I was recommended “the bone people” by Keri Hulme, it’s a complex read but has interesting layered characters ( 3 ) set in New Zealand ..I won’t say any more as I’m still reading it lol

I’d recommend it so far the writing style is very different and often poetic

I have a few lately I’ve been confused about what’s normal for a person who is asexual I was recommended “the bone people” by Keri Hulme, it’s a complex read but has interesting layered characters ( 3 ) set in New Zealand ..I won’t say any more as I’m still reading it lol

I’d recommend it so far the writing style is very different and often poetic
I shall add it to my list : )))

Douglas Adams or Adam Sanderson I feel. I love Adam’s style of funny writing, but I admire Sanderson’s work in the field of writing as a whole, not just the books. C.S. Luis is also a strong contender as “The Screwtape Letters” is one of my favorite books.

Honestly, it's difficult to tell.

When it comes to fantasy authors, I enjoy Pratchett, Sapkowski and Le Guin.

John Irving is also pretty awesome.

Colfer and Cabot are what I call my guilty pleasure authors. You can pry the Artemis Fowl and Mediator series from my cold, dead hands.

EDIT: I'm actually an English major (don't laugh, it's actually useful where I live as I live in a non-anglophone country) and I STILL prefer those 'fun' authors to the authors of literary canon. In fact, I hate most of them. Angry Young Men in particular can fuck right off. "Hurrr durr, I'm an alcoholic and beat my wife, this is deep somehow" Yeah no, I'll go back to my trashy authors.

My favourite poet is probably Shel Silverstein. I love his simplicity and universality! I still have my copy of “Where the Sidewalk Ends” from when I was younger. c:

Oh that's tough, I love Robert Frost especially Fire and Ice, it's short and packs a punch but I like his poems that have more meat too them as well. I also love John Keats his poems are wonderful and I found his life story to be sad but also very lovely. As far as authors go I love J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Lee Child, and I'm really enjoying Michael J Sullivan. Hope that you enjoy some of these fellas works!

Emily Dickinson! I have 2 of her poems fully memorized and they are my favorites. I also have her book of poems both in leather back collectible edition and paperback pocket size.

My favourite author is Leigh Bardugo and her Grishaverse series, and I've recently started her Six of Crows duology. I've never been the biggest reader either cause I find it hard to get into books, but her fantasy stories man. I've never tried to collect books before but I was ready to drop like 300 dollars on Amazon on a signed copy of her book King of Scars but someone else got it first.

For Poets, I don't really have a favourite poet per se, but I love the poem 'When I Have Fears That I May Cease To Be' by John Keats

I really enjoy Victor Hugo, although most people I know really hate his style of describing minor and irrelevant things in painful detail. I do enjoy how his narrative flows this way. Dostoevsky is one of the favourites as well for having a more experimental view on writing; as if he doesn't know where the story leads him, and just writes it down as it unravels in his head.

In modern authors I will be leaning towards Coleen McCullough, just because she's so twisted.

Poetry... I dislike. Save for Baudelaire. I'm that banal, but I love Flowers of Evil, and cite Albatross more than acceptable in modern society.

The only author I genuinely enjoy is Tom Clancy and other work influenced by him cause at the time I was into him I was into like military science and stuff. I still am somewhat and i would reread the Ghost Recon and EndWar series

Tom Clancy was my favorite author in high school, right now it might be Larry McMurtry, author of Lonesome Dove.

Poetry-wise I favor Robert Burns and ee cummings. Robert Burns because I did a language essay on his classic Auld Lang Syne my junior year in college, and I recited the last stanza of A Red Red Rose as best man at my brother’s wedding. EE Cummings because he penned something I hold dearly:

“To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.”

Not too much of a poetry buff but recently I have been tearing through Algernon Blackwood again. The man was able to make atmosphere ooze out the pages so well.

Late to the party, I have too many favorite Authors, but my favorite poet will forever be Geoffry Chaucer. I feel like I can relate to his 14th centry poems, which I just cannot do with anyone else. Check out 'The Complaint of Chaucer to His Purse' one of the best.

I don't read english book that much, but my fav english author is Jonathan Stroud. His writing style influenced me a lot on my writing, I think. And Bartimaeus is just the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back