Literature Favorite Young Adult Book/Series/Trilogy?

Obsessed

Braiiness
What is your favorite young adult book that was published in this century? Mine would be Cassandra Clare's The Infernal Devices, the plot twists and the humor are just !!!

Mine would probably either be the "Legend" trilogy by Mary Lu or the "Unwind" dystology by Neil Shusterman. Great settings, really interesting characters and equally intriguing storylines to follow through with in both of them.

grey987 said:
Mine would probably either be the "Legend" trilogy by Mary Lu or the "Unwind" dystology by Neil Shusterman. Great settings, really interesting characters and equally intriguing storylines to follow through with in both of them.
Wow, I checked that on wikipedia and both trilogies are very interesting, might read them in the future!

I will vouch for The Bartimaeus Trilogy until the end of my days.

I think I was honestly disappointed to find out it classified as "young adult" fiction because it was so good and that really means I haven't read anything beyond young adult fiction (barring classical literature). xD

But but, I don't even know where to begin, the books are just fantastic.

There is great character development throughout it all, not that the characters weren't already fabulous from the get-go.

The book switches the narrator's perspective by chapter, one of which has some hilarious footnotes.

I like to think it has a rather unique take on magicians ruling over an oligarchy and there is a lot of questionable morality throughout.

I just... really recommend it. lol

Side note: I have a friend that loved reading Unwind, so I guess that's two people vouching for that.

though i could easily get @Loren to back me up on my recommendation ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°

Last edited by a moderator:
Pine said:
I will vouch for The Bartimaeus Trilogy until the end of my days.
I think I was honestly disappointed to find out it classified as "young adult" fiction because it was so good and that really means I haven't read anything beyond young adult fiction (barring classical literature). xD

But but, I don't even know where to begin, the books are just fantastic.

There is great character development throughout it all, not that the characters weren't already fabulous from the get-go.

The book switches the narrator's perspective by chapter, one of which has some hilarious footnotes.

I like to think it has a rather unique take on magicians ruling over an oligarchy and there is a lot of questionable morality throughout.

I just... really recommend it. lol

Side note: I have a friend that loved reading Unwind, so I guess that's two people vouching for that.

though i could easily get @Loren to back me up on my recommendation ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°
Wow, a fantasy! Seems interesting!

I agree, the Bartimaeus trilogy is amazing, and one of my overall favourite book series. (*U*) The titular character is the snarky demon Bartimaeus, who's probably got one of the most hilarious point of view I've ever read. (First person, filled with footnotes and funny comments, like Pine said.)

The other two main characters are the magician apprentice turned member of the government Nathaniel, Bartimaeus' master (they keep trying to kill each other) and the anarchist/"commoner" Kitty Jones. (They're on my avatar for now! (<_<)) So basically, the main characters are a sarcastic demon, a corrupt politician, and a terrorist. Wonderful, all of lot of them.

And the ending's almost as depressing as the Red Wedding.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a huge fan of a little known Christian fantasy series by Bryan Davis partially based on Arthurian legend and some Bible stories, but with most books set in modern times. The series is made up by three quartets - Dragons in Our Midst, Oracles of Fire, and Children of the Bard - each of which focuses on another group of characters. It changes point of view constantly though, so some readers aren't very good at following the plotline.

• The first quartet follows the journey of William Bannister (the Dragon Messiah, in a sense) and Bonnie Silver, both children of prophecy, and both anthrozils (half-dragon; they're human save a few dragon traits). They are guided by Charles Hamilton, a descendant of Merlin. (And they are both descended from King Arthur through adoption; family trees are really complicated in this series, you have no idea.)
  • The second is centered around Mara, a slave girl born of plant materials in the depths of Sheol and forced to serve the demoness Lilith; it also follows the journey of Elam, the grandson of Noah of the Ark, who was stolen away and made a slave. (He doesn't age due to a curse placed Sheol; Mara always appears about fifteen, and he always appears about seventeen.) It also focuses for a while on Timothy, a dragon-turned-human whose adventures really stand no chance of being summarized in a simple sentence.
  • The third is focused around the children of William, Bonnie, and their friends, and how the world has received the revelation of the existence of dragons, demons, and other dimensions. (Here's a hint: not well.) There is also the story of the Listeners, who, if I remember correctly, are the child brother and sister of Noah, saved from the flood by entering a holy device called an ovulum. If you want to know what that is, look for the Dragons in Our Midst Wiki. I wrote a good number of those articles and still add to them from time to time.

Most people write it off because of the religious basis, but it really is beautifully written, witty, and you never know what's going to happen next. The last book was released just this past May and I have yet to read it. The suspense is maddening, some characters die way too many times for comfort and yet still somehow end up alive (never without reason), and each of his dozens upon dozens of characters are vastly unique. I'd love to say he ties up all lose ends, but I don't know that yet, haha!

(Also, if you like darker settings, his unrelated Dragons of Starlight quartet is almost painful to read, but again, really well written. That one's about an world where dragons take humans as slaves and aren't quite as noble as they're portrayed in Davis' other books. There is literally a mill where crippled humans are sent to be ground up to feed the dragons' dogs and horses. Most characters are dead by the end of the series.)

Obsessed said:
What is your favorite young adult book that was published in this century? Mine would be Cassandra Clare's The Infernal Devices, the plot twists and the humor are just !!!
Yes yes yes!

I absolutely adore TID!

I think I enjoyed it better than TMI *gasp*

I agree. The twists and humor was fascinating as well as the storyline and time period. It swept through those pages in no time.

Thinking about it makes me want to read it again =3

NessieAlways said:
Yes yes yes!
I absolutely adore TID!

I think I enjoyed it better than TMI *gasp*

I agree. The twists and humor was fascinating as well as the storyline and time period. It swept through those pages in no time.

Thinking about it makes me want to read it again =3
Both TMI and TID are amazing !! And same !! Those are the bools that got me interested on reading English novels :P

HawkPrincess said:
The Kiesha'ra Series, definitely. If you're into shapeshifters, it's a great read!
I totally do !!

Everyone's talking about TMI and TID. Have any of you ever read the Bane Chronicles? :3

There's this whole ordeal with a drunk Magnus enchanting a carpet to fly, and
sooo many shenanigans ensue before his friends yank on his leash a bit and he ends up flirting with a plate. To which he responds, after he's sober, something to the effect of:

"It never would have worked out between me and the plate."
xD

And there's also something about starting a new life as a cactus...

I adore Magnus so very much! cx

monkeymae24 said:
Everyone's talking about TMI and TID. Have any of you ever read the Bane Chronicles? :3
There's this whole ordeal with a drunk Magnus enchanting a carpet to fly, and
sooo many shenanigans ensue before his friends yank on his leash a bit and he ends up flirting with a plate. To which he responds, after he's sober, something to the effect of:

"It never would have worked out between me and the plate."
xD

And there's also something about starting a new life as a cactus...

I adore Magnus so very much! cx
YES. I have read Bane Chronicles! I didn't read all novellas thought but that part, I can't reallh stop laughing. Living as a cactus That story made me love Magnus more and Ragnus Fell. It was such a loss Valentine killed him.... I think Jace will like him

Obsessed said:
YES. I have read Bane Chronicles! I didn't read all novellas thought but that part, I can't reallh stop laughing. Living as a cactus That story made me love Magnus more and Ragnus Fell. It was such a loss Valentine killed him.... I think Jace will like him
Agreed! cx

Cassandra Clare created such a beautiful world, and such witty characters, but out of them all, my heart belongs to that ridiculous warlock.
xD

monkeymae24 said:
Agreed! cx
Cassandra Clare created such a beautiful world, and such witty characters, but out of them all, my heart belongs to that ridiculous warlock.
xD
Same, oh my! ;D

I haven't read the Bane Chronicles yet D=

I've been meaning to get my hands around it, but I just haven't been able to =S

I also haven't read the last TMI book. I'm so deprived!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NessieAlways said:
I haven't read the Bane Chronicles yet D=
I've been meaning to get my hands around it, but I just haven't been able to =S

I also haven't read the last TMI book. I'm so deprived!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are PDFs in google, I found Bane Chronicles and City of Heavenly Fire there. And CoHF is just !! Ugh, I wanted to curl in a corner and cry :(

Obsessed said:
There are PDFs in google, I found Bane Chronicles and City of Heavenly Fire there. And CoHF is just !! Ugh, I wanted to curl in a corner and cry :(
Is this for real?!

They've been in google all this time ='D

and don't tell me about CoHF!

I need to find out on my own =(

Oh the terrible agony of not knowing how a story ends.

NessieAlways said:
Is this for real?!
They've been in google all this time ='D

and don't tell me about CoHF!

I need to find out on my own =(

Oh the terrible agony of not knowing how a story ends.
Yes! Lol, you should check it out ! ASAP! ;D

Obsessed said:
I totally do !!
You should check it out then. There's 5 books in all, although I've only read the first four. It's very engaging and fun to imagine the world that is described in it.

While I don't know if it could be classified as young adult, I think my favorite fantasy trilogy (though the third book has yet to be released) is the Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss. Brilliant main character, brilliant plot, brilliant setting, brilliant author.

HawkPrincess said:
You should check it out then. There's 5 books in all, although I've only read the first four. It's very engaging and fun to imagine the world that is described in it.
Totally! I will check if there are available pdfs or books once i get to visit a bookstore ;p

<p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';">So many recommendations in this thread sound so good, and I already have about twenty new books on my "to read" pile! Dx</span></p>

<p>

<span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';">Plus all the book hangovers I'll have to account for at the end of each series, because those can get pretty darn rough. The worst book hangovers I ever had came after Bryan Davis's books, the Legend Trilogy, and of course the Harry Potter series, but no matter how small, they're always painful.</span></p>

Obsessed said:
Yes! Lol, you should check it out ! ASAP! ;D
I most definitely will!

monkeymae24 said:
So many recommendations in this thread sound so good, and I already have about twenty new books on my "to read" pile! Dx
Plus all the book hangovers I'll have to account for at the end of each series, because those can get pretty darn rough. The worst book hangovers I ever had came after Bryan Davis's books, the Legend Trilogy, and of course the Harry Potter series, but no matter how small, they're always painful.
Harry Potter is another strong obsession of mine!

Although I wasn't exposed to the books until after the last movie, I still enjoyed them very much!

There was a lot of inside stories that didn't make it on film that I got to enjoy so I love it!

Especially Peeves! OMG I wish he would've been in the films =3

NessieAlways said:
I most definitely will!
Harry Potter is another strong obsession of mine!

Although I wasn't exposed to the books until after the last movie, I still enjoyed them very much!

There was a lot of inside stories that didn't make it on film that I got to enjoy so I love it!

Especially Peeves! OMG I wish he would've been in the films =3
Peeves is my biggest issue with the movies, or rather the LACK of Peeves.

I also wanted to see the entirety of Snape's memories that are mentioned in the last book, they shortened it way too much for my liking, even though it probably would've added another half hour on to the movie.

Also, they were supposed to have Teddy Lupin in the epilogue part of the last movie, but cut his scene out.

Here's the actor, Luke Newberry:

tumblr_inline_mt11zdIww01qz4rgp.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back