Viewpoint Favorite Way to Spice Up Your Least Favorite Kind of Scene?

BittyBobcat

Llama hand
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I'm willing to assume most people who RP have general kinds of scenes that they prefer or don't prefer. These kinds of scenes can be very specific (rainy scene where one character is getting soaked and another character comes in to give them/share their umbrella) or very general (emotional scene) and, especially when it comes to some of the more general scenes, they may get hard to avoid entirely or you might just want to get out of your comfort zone and try your hand at writing a version of it you enjoy. Whatever the reason, what's the kind(s) of scene(s) you generally don't prefer and what is a way you like to make them enjoyable/what is something that makes them enjoyable to you?

For example, I'm not a huge fan of fight scenes. I understand why they get written and I think they've definitely got their place in RPing (and other media too), I've just never had any particular like for them. They generally feel bland to me because, oftentimes, very little plot-or-character-development-wise is actually accomplished in them. I'm not saying the plot always has to be moving at breakneck speed, but writing 5+ responses to something that boils down to different iterations of "they're gonna punch ya" gets to be a drag. That being said, I completely understand where that's coming from. I often have trouble writing fight scenes because there's a lot of parts that are really tricky to get right, especially in RP-spheres. Pacing (too fast and it's hard to keep track of what's going on, too slow and feels less like a fight scene and more like idly describing something you saw through the passenger window of a car), writing in a good way for someone to respond to (there's lots of actions that hinge on the other character's reaction so fight scenes lend themselves to shorter posts, but writing one doesn't give your partner(s) much to respond to and may be frustrating for yourself if you and your partner(s) typically have longer reply times), and choreographing (permission and communication is always important in RP, but striking a balance between keeping things fresh enough to be interesting and revealed enough for everyone to be comfortable can be extremely difficult) are just a few problems fight scenes are very prone to.

However, while I wouldn't want an RP centering around fight scenes and only fight scenes, not writing them in certain circumstances like when there's no logical and character-consistent way to avoid a fight can feel off. Sure, technically we could skip over it, but that's like tuning in to watch the prep for every sport in the Olympics, stopping the minute the starting bell rings, and then googling who won afterward. It just feels like a waste (sunk cost fallacy and all that, I know, but technically it can work out in this case and I'm speaking only on my personal preference so don't logic me too hard on that front).

The first thing that I use that I literally cannot reccommend enough for any quick-response scenes if you and your partner(s) have the right schedule for it: collab posts. For those who don't know, they're basically RPing "live". You get some people on the doc (I use google docs cause it's easy) and you go bananas. It's great. I know it sounds awkward at first, but it really makes the responses feel so much more natural and reading it is so much smoother. You get to jump in to write responses to things that otherwise would've been put mid-post, you usually get more content (and I say content rather than higher word count because I'm talking specifically about things happening, though the word count often rises with that) because everyone can react to the smaller actions in one post, and you get to have a fun time hanging out with your RP partner(s). Something about it really gets me writing faster too, I think because there's less "oh, would this be alright?" debating time because I can ask and get a response so quickly.

Failing that (or, hopefully, in addition to that), fighting that really has character. This overlaps a bit with making and writing compelling characters because a character with a personality that doesn't feel very present will almost always be boring to read (and consequently write for me) in a fight scene. And before you ask, no. I do not know this explicitely from other people, I know this from a very long time spent RPing a certain fandom where fighting was very common before I was old enough to join RpN. Point being, when the way a character fights really feels unique and like it fits, I get engaged a lot easier. I'm talking the the clever character literally pulling the rug out from their opponent, I'm talking feral fiestier characters biting someone who made the mistake of putting their hand too close to their mouth, I'm talking :bishiesparklesl:pizazz:bishiesparklesr:. Maybe the character that generally seems very kind is revealed to have more anger issues than you'd think, maybe the other characters are just realizing that they haven't yet thought on the implications of one of their companions having trained with some sort of violent organization. Sticking the landing for this kind of thing can be tricky but, when done right, it's a delightfully versatile lil' pinch (or big punch) of spice. Personally, I don't think I've seen a single "casually talking during a situation in which the average person would be very stressed about because this is just a Tuesday for this character," that I haven't liked.

And finally (because I've been ranting for very possibly too long), character relationships heavily influencing a fight. Characters that have just been betrayed hesitating more often and fighting more gently than they might otherwise. A more experienced mentor or bigger-sibling-esque character winning on the basis of something they mentioned earlier to their less experienced opponent. Specifically, I've always loved a good character dialogue in those snatched moments of pause in a fight. Maybe it's not realistic cause most people would have a very hard time talking and fighting, but it's so much fun getting creative with shortening the phrases used so that it still feels about right (if you haven't noticed by now, I tend to be very wordy) and it leaves a lot of room for nonverbal responses that flow well with the scene.

I'm aware that a lot of this could maybe be boiled down to "write gud," but I'm going to assume that comes from the perspective of someone who also likes the kind of fight scenes I like. Some people genuinely enjoy punch-kick-punch and would absolutely despise some of the stuff that absolutely makes fight scenes for me and that's okay. With the entire topic in this thread, it's all preference in the end because people come to and enjoy roleplay for different reasons. So be nice to eachother in the replies and remember this is about what different people specifically enjoy/dislike about certain scenes, not what everyone should enjoy or dislike.

Fight scenes. Oh, the true bane of my existence.

Firstly I'll say it here: there's nothing wrong with writing fight scenes cinematically. But to me. In my opinion. The way I see it. Yes, with those out of the way I can say: fight scenes are just as interesting as uh. May I say the s-word? R-18 scene, banana peach. It can get vanilla real fucking quick (you see what I did there, ha). If you're that person who says fuck spending 5 paragraphs to angle my punches and watching muay-thai videos for references (which I assume you are considering you bringing up plot/character development as your main point of interest), then...okay you actually said most my points already. Collab posts are great, and adding pizzaz ✨ is a good choice because you're using the space given to you to write more than something that is just cinematic. You implement your character and you paint them out in the canvas you've bene provided, and that is very good. Though I must add some few things:

Write also how the fight affects your character. We've covered physicality, but how about mentally? What do they think about what the hell is going on? It will help in filling in the whys when you're already filling it the whats and hows. Again, this is almost similar to banana peach scenes. Hm. Let me rephrase it: you don't necessarily have to add more kinks to make it interesting. Sometimes all it takes is just response. Respond to the world, respond to the action. This is personally what I prioritize in and shows more evidently in fight scenes because by god, writing fight scenes can very quickly look like the fifth page of a generic ao3 smut pairing.

My least favorite scenes are (yeah, this will shock everyone, I know) romance or flirty stuff. I usually have my character make some kind of sarcastic comment when involved in such a scene. Usually works, hehe...

Throw a dragon into the scene

See this boring day at school scene? Now there's a dragon! Everyone screams and run for their life. Let the fun begin. I'm not joking btw, though I don't think I've ever had a partner who agree with that lol.

*cracks knuckles* Well, as someone who absolutely LOVES to write out violence and bloodshed, lemme just say that writing a fight scene out in a punch-by-punch exchange is the best way to make it boring. And having to ask permission to land a blow? Stupid. In a group, this really lands on a GM to sort out. They gotta be fair, and they gotta be creative. It's a lot of work to commit to, as you have to step in and essentially craft an outcome for every significant altercation. If in 1x1, and y'all can't come to a reasonable outcome to a fight...seriously, why are you even writing with each other?

In either case, you need to keep the big picture in mind, and the realistic probability of how things should turn out. The story comes before the individual characters, or that plane is gonna crash and burn. If the players cant understand that, then they can gtfo.

That being said, I struggle SO MUCH with dialogue and character development. Like, I dont really have the knack of giving them obstacles to overcome that aren't physical ones they need to shoot holes in or stab to death. I'm bad with emotional scenes or anything lovey-dovey. How to "spice that up" and make it more interesting for me? Well, I'm open to suggestions, because as it stands those scenes are repugnant to me. lol

*cracks knuckles* Well, as someone who absolutely LOVES to write out violence and bloodshed, lemme just say that writing a fight scene out in a punch-by-punch exchange is the best way to make it boring. And having to ask permission to land a blow? Stupid. In a group, this really lands on a GM to sort out. They gotta be fair, and they gotta be creative. It's a lot of work to commit to, as you have to step in and essentially craft an outcome for every significant altercation. If in 1x1, and y'all can't come to a reasonable outcome to a fight...seriously, why are you even writing with each other?

In either case, you need to keep the big picture in mind, and the realistic probability of how things should turn out. The story comes before the individual characters, or that plane is gonna crash and burn. If the players cant understand that, then they can gtfo.

That being said, I struggle SO MUCH with dialogue and character development. Like, I dont really have the knack of giving them obstacles to overcome that aren't physical ones they need to shoot holes in or stab to death. I'm bad with emotional scenes or anything lovey-dovey. How to "spice that up" and make it more interesting for me? Well, I'm open to suggestions, because as it stands those scenes are repugnant to me. lol
I stopped trying to succeed in those types of scenes long ago. I suppose they have their place, but I don't like them. Much more interesting to write out detective scenes or military actions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back