Anime & Manga Favorite Slice-of-Life Anime?

Risk

What are some of your favorites?
Try to keep it limited on unrealistic elements such as scifi or fantasy!!
This is just for anime, not manga.

A few of mine are:
  1. Barakamon
  2. My Little Monster
  3. Haikyuu!!
  4. K-On
  5. Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
  6. Wolf Girl & Black Prince
  7. Usagi Drop
  8. Anohana
  9. Your Lie in April
  10. A Silent Voice

I've seen much more than that, but decided to narrow it down to ten. Still, feel free to add as many as you would like.

I don't really like slice of life, so I have more or less never watched any intentionally, but I did watch I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying, and that was very nice.

I'm not really into Slice-of-Life, and definitely not into Ecchi and Harems, but I've watched OniAi after my friend recommended it to me.

The comedy was good, really, it was, but the amount of fanservice gave me secondhand cringe from watching it.

I really enjoyed Interviews With Monster Girls. I love how the characters come together and relate to each other so well. It also has some tear jerking moments, which adds a whole new emotional element to the mix. The characters are some of the best in any slice of life. With the main girls all being monsters, they get treated differently by everyone but their teacher. The teacher cares about them so much and it's really touching to see what he does for them. He convinces other students to just treat them like normal people, and he makes the monster girls lives better.
74480f1a21c3cc120e745698085db877.jpg

Definitely Acchi Kocchi and Dansi Koukousei no Nichijiouuu!! Aw! Hunor is top notch and the relationship between the characters are quite fun to watch.

Slet Dance is quite good too, it has some very hilarious moments and a few sad and deep ones.

Nichijou is my top slice of life story hands down. It's absurd and funny and the animation is so good and it's kind of a shame kyoani never went back to it...
Daily Life of High School Boys and Gekkan Shoujo kind of hit a similar funny bone for me and I thoroughly enjoyed them, though not as much as Nichijou. Also, the old classic Azumanga Daioh, though I haven't watched that in years so I'm not sure how it stands up but I remember getting quite attached to the characters back then.
Kobayashi-sans Maid Dragon, too! I would have loved to put this one higher on my list but unfortunately the fanservice elements reeeally detracted from its overall score, and there was more than one uncomfortable scene with the two kids which... Honestly. One day I will get the cute and savoury gay dragon anime I deserve. :p

Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru (commonly known as Oregairu) is by far my favorite. It has both serious and comical moments that felt realistic and I have a hard time picking bad things about it.

Kokoro Connect is my second favorite. It adds some twists in the mix that put the relationships between the main cast to the test. The first one if memory serves is them switching bodies for short periods. The wait for new episodes was very difficult.

I'm not much of a fan of Slice-of-Life, but these two are really good even then. If you like the genre though, those are must-watch.

Honorable mention for Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou (Daily lives of Highschool Boys). It's difficult for me to like pure comedy but this one was an exception with its hilarious moments.

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
Wolf Children
My Little Monster
Haikyu!!
I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying
Doukyuusei
She and Her Cat
Fruits Basket

Oh I love me some slice of life!! I try to find some that don't focus so heavily on romance, but my top are
Nichijou
Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou
Mitsudomoe
K-on, K-on!!
Sora No Woto
Michiko to Hatchin( don't now if that one counts)
Lucky Star
Koufuku Graffiti
Miss Kobayahi's Dragon Maid
School Live ( Extreme but I think it still counts)
Made in Abyss
Anne of green gables
Heidi
Gintama( Some here, some there)
New Game!, New Game!!
Konosuba....( I think lol)
Tanka Kun is always Listless
Flying Witch( A recent fave!)
Aria ( All of em')
Amanchu
Bin-tou chan
Erin
Mushi-shi
The eccentric fam. 1&2 (LOVE!)
Barakomon
Watamote(Extra cringe worthy but yes)
Wakaozake
Hanasaku Iroha ( Ha a lot more drama then I was hoping but very good!)
You're Being summoned Azazel
A Centaur's Life ( this season)

Probably some more, but they are lost on me now XD

I think I'm late to the convo ahaha, but my FAV slice of life manga is GSNK (Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun) for sure! My favorite SOL anime is 'Flying Witch'. Without giving anything away, it's a very relaxing anime about a modern-day witch who's really more of a regular high-school girl than a full-fledged magical witch. The fantasy elements are really just there for a little bit of flair.

I don't really do slice of life, but Barakamon is easily one of the best series I've ever seen. HRNG! EVERYONE GO WATCH IT IN ONE SITTING AND THEN BUY THE OFFICIAL VOLUMES OF THE MANGA SERIALIZED BY YEN PRESS IN THE WEST, IT'S IMPORTANT FOR YOUR SOOOOUL!!!

Other than that, the only other slice of life series that have stuck in my mind are Oregairu, Dagashi Kashi, Tsuritama and Kobayashi's Maid Dragon. They're worth a watch.

Assuming that by slice of life, you mean that day-to-day genre of the character's everyday lives set in a relatively realistic setting except for maybe the addition of a supernatural/scifi element to spice it up, or some overarching goal that really doesn't interfere much in the action or move the characters toward it, my top twenty for now would be:

1. Is this a zombie?
2. Date a live
3. Yahari Ore No Seishun Love Comedy Wa Machigatteiru
4. Nisekoi
5. World god only knows
6. Assassination Classroom
7. Kotoura-san
8. Sora no Method
9. Rokujuma no Shinryakusha
10. Handa-kun
11. Usagi Drop
12. Noucome
13. Dogs and Scissors
14. Baka to test
15. haiyore! Nyaroko-san
16. Masamune-kun no Revenge
17. Achi kochi
18. Netoge no Yome Wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta?
19. Plastic Memories
20. Papa no Ikuto

Note: I am not counting any show I am currently watching

I mean
Kokoro Connect had me in a sobbing wreck
Maid-Sama! was pretty awesome, too
A lot of my other favorites aren't considered slice-of-life XD
Not even sure if those two count or not because I'm terrible

Your Lie in April is definitely one of my all-time favorites. I know these two are more of movies, but I also love 5 Centimeters Per Second and Wolf Children (a tad bit of fantasy mixed into this one).

free!
k-on!
shirobako
new game!
ao haru ride
fruits basket
sakura quest
chuunibyou demo koi ga shitai!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back