Other Favorite Kinds of Roleplays

I was under the impression I'd already made a post here, must've been on a parallel universe similar thread or something. Anyway...

I prefer group RPs that have a serious plot behind them, with a preference for the depressing side. I don't mind comedy mixed in, it's often a great device to make depressing moments even more impactful as well, but if that lasts for too long, I'm prone to wanting to just move on with the main plot. I don't care much for romance, but if someone brings up having some kind of peculiar relationship with one of my characters (things like hatred, rivalry, admiration, trust, interest, etc.) that may end up developing further, they just have to convince me if fits the story and will make it better, and I just might accept since I'm all for character development and complexity.

I prefer fandoms for the great majority of the time, which mostly means anime and games, with one or two TV shows in the mix, that (can) fit the above criteria. When it's not fandom, I also like exploring alternate history, but this is limited to the japanese warring states (Sengoku) era. I don't mind either fantasy, realism or sci-fi, but I find that I sometimes will think "too futuristic" or "too much magic", which will reduce my interest.

Lastly, in more general terms, I like to see that the other players are dedicated and enjoying what's happening in the RP. They planned for it, and want to keep it alive. If something's not going smoothly, they'll try to reach a compromise, because they all want to continue. Also, it's pretty nice when I can imagine the RP happening as a game. Multiple possible routes/outcomes, character interactions changing their stats, personalities and affinity for the other characters, things like that, which are more blurred during the RP.

I love adventurous RPs with a path to follow and mysteries to solve. I prefer fantasy and medieval settings (M// recently). Any story can be fun though, and I'd totally join a story that has a great, active group attached to it.

I love fantasy RPs. They can be various genres of fantasy, but for some reason I get really bored if there isn’t magic involved. Idk why. I just can’t get invested.
I can sometimes be interested in more realistic TV shows or books or something that all I have to do is watch or read them - but actually writing something takes a lot more energy and investment for me, and I just don’t have that energy to care if it isn’t fantasy of some kind.
So yeah. I love magical and fantastical things lol

I love fantasy RPs. They can be various genres of fantasy, but for some reason I get really bored if there isn’t magic involved. Idk why. I just can’t get invested.
I can sometimes be interested in more realistic TV shows or books or something that all I have to do is watch or read them - but actually writing something takes a lot more energy and investment for me, and I just don’t have that energy to care if it isn’t fantasy of some kind.
So yeah. I love magical and fantastical things lol

I love magic too—specifically wizards and their wizardry.

Sometimes I enjoy fluffy cuddly romance role plays but other times I prefer dark, twisted, kinda morbid role plays, usually when I'm slightly depressed and anxious but I can never find anyone who is willing to do anything like that and it sucks.

Ones that survive!

But honestly ones she the players get along.
Ones where people communicate.
Ones that flow.

My bread and butter type of RPs are "genre RPs", RPs that are designed to be in the style of a specific type of fiction. I'm not just talking RPs that are vaguely based on a genre or setting or something though, I mean ones that are specifically designed from the ground up to be in the style of a genre or setting and where playing up all the cliches and tropes of the genre is half the fun of it all. My last RP was an RP about a super power battle school (a la Naruto or Soul Eater) that was intentionally playing up the shounen anime (and just anime in general) tropes, and it was SO much fun designing characters specifically based on shounen archetypes and coming up with signature attacks for all them to yell at the top of their lungs

These ones are extremely hard to do well, but I love sandbox RPs, where there is no real prewritten story from the GM and the plot of the RP is whatever naturally unfolds between the characters interacting with each other. It's really fun because it feels like truly collaborative storytelling, where the players are just as much writers of the RP as the GM. I've had RPs that started out with a pretty generic and barebones setting and premise, but due to the players being proactive and creative, ended with a whole bunch of detailed lore. Unfortunately, most players don't really tend to be willing to make up the plot as they go (in my experiences anyway), so these types of RPs really only work with the right types of players. But oh boy, when you get that perfect player group...

Let's see...

I really enjoy those roleplays that have a good amount of world-building put into them. I guess that's why I really enjoy fantasy and sci-fi roleplays. When the roleplay comes in a creative world where things are different than they are in the real world.

I also love comedy, adventure and romance in roleplays as well. In fact, those three are probably my favorite parts of any roleplay. Good comedy, solid adventures, and a romantic plot occuring as characters start to fall in love with each other. All of this together forms the ideal roleplay in my opinion.

I also really agree with MagentaDreams MagentaDreams about when the players are proactive and build a creative and complex plot. It makes for one of the best roleplaying experiences of all. I was once in a roleplay series that worked this way, and boy, to date it's one of the best rps I've ever been in!

Honestly, space exploration/adventure and zombies are the two things that really get me excited and that'll make me sign up immediately.

I try to retain an open mind, but even then I always seem to revert back to the same few favourites: low fantasy(in other words, fantasy elements in a world much like ours), historical(usually realistic, but occasionally I'll throw in fantasy elements), superpower/mutant type stuff(think X-Men and similar things), and dystopian. My RP also tends to be much more character driven than plot driven. I usually just pick a setting and then allow the characters to develop the story.

I'm not really sure whether I'd consider myself really picky in what I like to role play, but I think I'm definitely leaning towards that angle. However, there are very few things I will flat out refuse to role play:

Graphic (as in really detailed/violent) rape. I don't mind characters being forced into sleeping with somebody due to manipulation, coercion, even intimidation, but if they are being pinned down and screaming... no.

Outside of the standard gender spectrum. Before anyone screams, I'm not going to get into my personal beliefs about how many genders there are and gender identity. But I like my role play to be fun and not stressful, and when I role play I don't want to be reminded of negative things from my past, and I've had some personal conflicts surrounding this issue so... sorry. It's not happening.

Bestiality. Just no, please. This includes furries.

Necrophilia, for obvious reasons.

Kids. This may seem odd, but I won't role play in a scenario that requires me or the other main character to be under about 15 (it'll explain why 15 later). That doesn't mean there can't be any kids, but please don't make them the main focus.

Prostitution. There's just something about this one that I can't stand, but thankfully it never really comes up.

So aside from those six (and rather reasonable in my opinion) rules as to what I won't role play, I'm pretty open. But that's not the point of this question.

For a start, my absolute favourite role play is Harry Potter, which you'd think would contrast with my no main kids character rules. This would explain why the cut off point is fifteen rather than eighteen in case that seemed like a rather odd number.

However, in this verse I like to role play darker themes, such as:

Arranged Marriage
Death (mostly through murder)
Prejudice
Bloodlines
Conflict
Manipulation
Power struggles
Succession
Torture
Imprisonment
(You get the idea)

(As such I usually role play with characters who have links with the death eaters.)

However, I also like dystopian, fantasy, other fandoms and romance, often all mixed in together (aside from the fandoms, I don't do crossovers).

Although I like to watch it, sci fi doesn't hold my role playing interest, and neither do most strictly realistic settings.

Noir-ish detectives, that can vary by the setting from medieval to industrial to modern to cyberpunk, to post-apocalypse, and even go with sci-fi or fantasy. I love mysteries. And this brings me down to loving horror games. It's a hard genre to pull off in a writing style, and there was just one book that made me legitemately terrified when Ir ead it, but I like to experiment. Supernatural horror about something wicked lurking around the corner, but not openly so like, say, "Ouija" film.

Angsty drama, the one that revolves around a point of a person's life that changes their outlook on it. And basically anything that might have to do with intrigues and, again, detective-like mysteries.

Sometimes(!) I enjoy heroic fantasy.

I myself am a sucker for a good romance story, but I also like some action. On the contrary, I also like me some calm roleplays, where it's a more realistic, modern setting. Oh, and welcome to the site!

Please someone hmu lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back