Experiences Favorite Kind of AU?

Cinnabun

I’ve been thinking and thinking the past few days about what kinds of AU plots and storylines are out there (mainly because I might be trying to start a fandom AU RP), but I can’t figure out which one would be the most interesting/fun to use!

I figure I’d take to the forums to see what kinds of AUs other people like to see!

School/university themed?
Detective?
Aged up?
Outer space?

What have you come across that just seemed like a really great idea?

Tell me about it! I’d love to hear. ?

I tend to like detailed AUs that find ways to map the different aspects of the original setting and characters onto the new setting in a way that makes sense and feels fun. Personally I'm not really into roleplaying 'slice of life' esque AUs like school, coffee shop, etc but they can be fun to read when I have the itch to devour some fanfic.

'Crossover' style AUs that imagine what the characters would be like in other fandom settings are another favorite of mine too, for the most part. (I never was a big fan of Harry Potter's setting so Hogwarts AUs do nothing for me which makes me sad because I'd like to enjoy them!)

I like e a modern au of some of my favorite fandoms. It's really interesting of what your characters would do in a modern setting, and that you have to think of what his or hers response would be too.

I once read a story someone wrote, it followed characters from a game, which was based on a medieval setting, and placed them in a highschool scenario as if they'd been born in a modern setting. Events that happened in the game were adapted to that scenario. The first half was very interesting to read. It eventually became too focused on sports though, so I stopped reading. I can't say that doing the medieval-to-modern kind of AU is always good, but I already liked one, so it counts.

My favorite one though, is when alternate history happens. Take a fandom, don't change the setting, but change a significant part of the history. If there are two countries that have been at war against each other for generations, what would change if they'd allied with each other instead and never went to war? If the history of one country revolved around the people rebelling and killing the tyrant, how would things be if the tyrant massacred the rebels and lived instead? What if the king's heir, the one that was assassinated with poison as an infant, causing a national crisis and the ruin of the country, instead survived the poisoning? Things like that. For some reason exploring alternate histories and their effect on the world sounds really interesting to me.

You know what's a cool idea I use a lot? Taking two fandoms and smushing them together. Ie. taking the characters from one thing and throwing them into another universe. It allows characters to face situations they've never seen before and develop relationships they wouldn't have had beforehand.

These are all great!!
I really like that alternate history idea, Shuusuke Shuusuke , that's super cool and something I've thought about a bit, but not in much depth! I might have to explore that.

If I were to see an AU... A kindergarden AU might be fun. Though generally when it comes to AUs, because I don't participate in fandoms with cannon characters, it's usually just the equivalent of a label saying "this is not supposed to accurately match what happens in the series".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back