Other Favorite Historical Figure?

Marco Polo! I read a lot about him in elementary school and I was always fascinated by the idea of travelling the world and bringing back delicious foods from all over the world. :D

Church Hill, caught walking nude around his house, told the person
"well sir, it seems as though you've caught me at a disadvantage"

John Dancaster. Hurray for commoners/lower-class nobility sticking it to the high and mighty during The Hundred Years' War! :D

Teddy Rosevelt, and Taft. Specifically the whole election of Teddy and the fight between the two after Taft's that ironically led to Wilson gaining the presidency. Idk to me it was hilarious.

Mine i would say is Henry VIII of England. not that he was a great guy, it is just the things he did and the effects of those actions.

Andrew Jackson. I do not agree with his policies, but I love his personality. His personality is also a reason why so many people hate him.

Mad Jack Churchill. The only soldier in WWII who felled an enemy by firing an arrow. He also stormed a beach with a longsword. He thought any soldier was improperly dressed without a sword. Sometimes he brought his motorcycle along for surprise attacks. He would play his bagpipes while their landing craft approached beaches, and once while the rest of his company had been killed or wounded and the Nazis advanced. Apparently they didn't kill him because they thought he'd gone mad. Then they put him in a POW camp as they thought he was related to Winston Churchill. He wasn't. He escaped prison. He was recaptured. He escaped again and walked 150 miles to find allies. He was disappointed that the war was over. ”If it wasn’t for those damn Yanks, we could have kept the war going another 10 years.” Became a parachutist posted in Palestine. Helped evacuate and save the lives of 700 students and doctors from a university campus. Moved to Australia. Designed his own surfboard. Retired. Died.

Also liked startling people on the train by throwing his suitcase out of the window, so that it would land in his back garden and he wouldn't have to carry it home.

Top quality banter lads

Jeez why did you have to ask a history buff to choose. If we are talking way back, gotta go with Alexander the Great or Julius Caesar. I also have nothing but respect for President Theodore Roosevelt and General Patton. Also worth noting would Samuel Colt, the man who truly made all men equal, and then John Browning who revolutionized firearms.

Definitely Napoleon Bonaparte. He's my childhood hero.

He's well noted for his courage, brilliance, and utter lack of sanity. All qualities I admire in a person and qualities that I myself possess.

Perhaps this is terrible, but Hitler is the guy I love to learn about. No, I'm not going to start another Holocaust. :P

Perhaps this is terrible, but Hitler is the guy I love to learn about. No, I'm not going to start another Holocaust. :P

Evil people in general are very fascinating.

It doesn't mean we should like them, but they have a certain appeal. I can't really explain it.

Evil people in general are very fascinating.

It doesn't mean we should like them, but they have a certain appeal. I can't really explain it.

Isn't it that same appeal that attracts so many people to them when they are in the height of their power? It is what allows them to rise to power. Evil guys usually have pretty good charisma

Isn't it that same appeal that attracts so many people to them when they are in the height of their power? It is what allows them to rise to power. Evil guys usually have pretty good charisma

I am more interested in the mindset Hitler had. How he was able to fathom such things and the brilliance that lingered there. He knew how to play the game. I wouldn't ever vote for such a man in those times, if I had a say, but it's just fascinating to learn how he thought what he was doing was so right.

As for the Hitler discussion, it's called Anti-Social Personality Disorder. He hid his megalomania in a mask of glory and dominance, but to convince everyone to follow him, he had to give them someone to hate. Since it was Germany that was going to be doing the following, why not mark everyone else as something to hate (Thus the whole "Germany is a superior race," thing,) and especially Jews. Hitler had a hatred for jews because in his childhood he apparently fell in love with a Jewish girl but she denied him or something, among with many other reasons.

Hitler is actually a good template for making the "villain," archetype of character. And I'm not saying your villain has to think his race is superior, I am saying that Hitler, in real life is actually like a well-written character. He has Freudian Excuses for everything that he did (Not that I agree with him, but read up, seriously.)

As for my favorite historical figure, that'd probably be Samson from the Bible. I'm not catholic, well, at least not anymore (I'm agnostic,) but Samson, for a book about peace and love, was so badass that he makes Hercules look like a little kid with a stick.

Porfirio Diaz,a president that my country,Mexico,had a lot of years ago. A lot of people remember him as a dictator, that is sad because they think he was evil but actually he made a lot of good things. Yeah, maybe the power went up in his head. But after reading his autobiography I realized that he was someone very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back