Other Favorite Historical Figure?

Madame Ching Shih is so ridiculously cool. Started as a lady of the night, captured by pirates, eventually became one of the most successful pirate commanders in history. China basically had to bribe her to stop robbing the coast because her fleet was too powerful to stop by force, and she died a rich old lady.

I think she had a small role in the Pirates of the Carribean movies, but I'd love to see a whole movie or show about her.

Madame Ching Shih is so ridiculously cool. Started as a lady of the night, captured by pirates, eventually became one of the most successful pirate commanders in history. China basically had to bribe her to stop robbing the coast because her fleet was too powerful to stop by force, and she died a rich old lady.

I think she had a small role in the Pirates of the Carribean movies, but I'd love to see a whole movie or show about her.

Sounds incredible

Hmm, there's a lot of historical figures that I greatly admire. But, with it being Black History Month and all, I'll go with Harriet Tubman. 

I really don't think people understand what a champ she is. I didn't either, until I learned that she was going to be featured on the $20. (Which yassss I am behind this 10000000%!!) Okay, so she escaped from slavery in her early 20s, then went back to save her enslaved relatives as well as other individuals at least thirteen separate times. Each time she made the decision to go back, Harriet could have ended up captured or killed, but she still felt the need to help her people. And she did that on top of suffering from narcolepsy, stemming from an incident in her youth when she was hit in the head with a heavy metal object. So, she risked her life and her freedom by conducting midnight raids and leading people through the wild, untamed territory of the South on days-long expeditions to the North via the Underground Railroad from memory while suffering from blackouts due to narcolepsy, saving an estimated total of 300 people without losing a single person over roughly thirteen missions. 

And then, when the Civil War began, she worked her way up through the Union Army and eventually became an armed scout, spy, and the first ever woman to lead an armed expedition in the war. She went on to liberate another 700 enslaved people in one go during the raid at Combahee Ferry.  After the war ended, she resettled to some property she purchased herself to care for her aging parents, became active in the women's suffrage movement before it was popular and continued to donate her resources to the less fortunate whenever she could.

I honestly could go on and on and on about her, but this post is already super long. So I'll just end with one of her few known pictures and let it speak for itself.

Harriet_Tubman_by_Squyer,_NPG,_c1885.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Marie Curie. What a fucking legend. She revolutionized the role of women in the scientific society and pretty much discovered the subatomic world. 

Also, Anna Pavlova. She was so graceful and perfect. She was pretty much the reason I started ballet.

I like most philosophers, but I like the renaissance period the most. I believe that if I had to pick one, despite my love for Japanese culture, I would have to go with Leonardo da Vinci.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't she also blind?

I wish I could list my grandfather, he was a man of such complexity and incredible appetites that could rival some historical greats.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't she also blind?

No.

She wasn't blind (not while she was a pirate), and she wasn't old (again, not in her pirating days).  She was a young mother while she was pillaging and striking fear into the hearts of many.

No.

She wasn't blind (not while she was a pirate), and she wasn't old (again, not in her pirating days).  She was a young mother while she was pillaging and striking fear into the hearts of many.

I don't know why, but I love the way you phrased that last sentence. 

probably gg allin. the way he threw literal shit at people in the audience and fornicated on stage... truly an inspiration. would link a picture but the dude was almost always covered in gore or butt-ass naked.

in all seriousness probably marquis de sade, salvador dali, frida kahlo, niccolo machiavelli, and nero (the original neckbeard)

sorry, couldn't choose just one.

My vote goes to the best sniper on record, Simo Häyhä.

Simo Häyhä is the single most successful sniper in military history. Nicknamed the “White Death” for his totally white camouflage and eerie white mask he wore in combat, the Finnish marksman amassed at least 505 confirmed sniper kills during the Winter War between Finland and the Soviet Union. He recorded an additional 200 kills with a submachine gun. More amazingly, Häyhä recorded all of his sniper kills without using an optic. His Mosin–Nagant rifle was equipped only with iron sights

King of Sparta, Leonidas the First. While the movie 300 was certainly a blockbuster, it hardly stuck to facts. He was, to date, one of the only Spartan kings to have undergone the agoge. And while he did inherit the throne, I would argue that none were more fit than him for the title. I'd go on, but a bit of research is all it takes to learn more. In short, he's a certified badass.

Évariste Galois

Solved a 350 year old math problem, laid the foundations for Galois Theory, two branches of abstract algebra and the subfield of Galois connections. Arrested twice, the second time when he was at the head of a protest, wearing the uniform of the disbanded artillery which he was previously part of, and heavily armed with several pistols, a rifle, and a dagger.

Died at age 20 from wounds suffered in a duel.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back