Other Favorite Historical Figure?

Probably would have to be Annie Oakley for me. I literally wrote book reports on her every single year in elementary school lol. I loved her because she's such a strong female figure in US history.

My favourite historical figure has got to be, without a doubt, Ghengis Khan. If you want to know why, I'll just give you a quote of his:

“I am the punishment of God. If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me to you.”

He was so badass, that he knew just how badass he was. That, and he was fucking kickass strategist.

I'll probably be called crazy, but it's either Radovan Karadžić, Adolf Hitler or Benito Mussolini.

"After every matter arranged, we left the banks of St. Charles with cheers from the crowd... into unknown civilization..." -Meriwether Lewis, 1804

Not sure if a duo counts, but I'm just going to wing it. Lewis and Clark are my favorite historical figures (I'm supposedly related to both of them, self centered me.) Two Americans tasks with leading a team through unknown territory, what we'd now compare to exploring deep space. Must've took a lot of bravery to ride boats UP RIVER, alone and afraid. What's more surprising is only one person died on the way to the west. This was pre-Trail of Tears as well. Their whole exchange with the Mandan tribe probably confused the conflict between the Indians and Americans. 

Also, Meriwether Lewis definitely didn't commit suicide. Multiple shots with a single shot musket? Yeah, one bullet would've done the trick or he'd of bled out. The innkeepers must've killed him.

Did someone say "history"?! -brainears-

Okay, so my favorite historical figure... That's a tough one. I guess if I had to choose, I'd go with Winston Churchill. That's actually kinda weird for me, though, because I'm mostly studying Scottish and Irish history (and I picked an Englishman? Blasphemy! :HornsTongue: ), but also because I'm pretty sure if I ever met him we wouldn't get along, and I suspect if his attitude and personality were stuck on just about anyone else, I couldn't stand them. So why do I like him so much? I really don't know... I think it's his speeches and some of the other things he said; I just love them. And I really admire his tenacity and determination. So, I guess that kinda spills over and allows me to overlook a lot of the stuff that I would ordinarily dislike and makes me just shake my head and sigh "Ahh, Mr. Churchill... Why?" rather than be actively annoyed. Though I still do sass back at him in my head from time to time... (x

Come to think of it, though, I haven't actually read much on him lately... But, I'm pretty sure he's still one of my favorites. It's kinda weird, but though I find plenty of figures in Scottish and Irish history to be extremely interesting, I think I would have a very hard time picking a favorite from them. I think this may be because, in the case of the former, I'm mostly interested in medieval history, so there's very little information on figures as people rather than as warriors or kings. The wealth of personal sources available may be part of my interest in Churchill, I guess...

Last edited by a moderator:
@Shirou Emiya Are you perchance east european? Cos' I am, and I would vote for Matthias too.

But, since you claimed him, I'll go ahead and post my second pick:

Giuseppe Garibaldi

Giuseppe_Garibaldi_(1866).jpg

- commandeered and fought in a ton of wars and battles often outmatched and under-equipped

- generally fought on the more morally upstanding sides in said conflicts

- lead armies of volunteers, including slaves and women of varied ethnicities

- unified half his homeland, then handed it over to the kingdom of Naples so modern Italy could be born

- married twice, loved both his wives 'till death parted them, and sired 8 children in total

- retired in glory and with lotsa' spaghetti

History offers many samples of great and powerful leaders. But this guy, right here? He's the epitome of what the will of simple, ordinary folks can accomplish.

@Shirou Emiya what a coincidence. So am I!

Not sure about the pride though, considering what's going on in my country recently, but let's not derail this topic :smile12:

Mine would be Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor from 161 to 180 CE. He was widely considered to be the last of the 'good' emperors, and was a practitioner of the ancient philosophy of Stoicism , a philosophy that I try to apply to my own life.

He wrote a great book called Meditations that is one of my favorite and I would recommend to anyone.  

My favorite historical figure of all time is probably Yi Sun-sin

His story is more or less a real life underdog story...not to mention the fact that he was one kickass naval commander.

I'd have to say Anne Frank or Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

Anne because I had to do this big project on her in second grade (that included dressing up as her and "being" her) and from then on I became fascinated with her life. My parents knew this and got me a copy of Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl for my eleventh birthday (which I didn't actually get around to reading until the summer before eighth grade since it was Summer Reading anyway). Maybe it's because her take on the war and the world affected/affect so many people all over the world, maybe it's because something about her strikes a chord with me. I probably won't ever really know.

As for Roosevelt, I'd say it's probably because he led the United States through some pretty rough shit. He had stuff to deal with, too, (polio) but he didn't let that stop him from being a freaking badass president. He served four freaking terms. Four terms. Before him, the thought was unheard of (since Washington only served two and you know, WASHINGTON IS THE ULTIMATE). But we needed him there, and he answered the call. Damn, that man was cool.

Henry the 8th. He could eat the hell he wants, surrounded by hoes and was the king of England. He was my kind of guy.  ;D

Mine is Matthias Corvinus of Hungary!

View attachment 241069

Nice. One of mine is Vlad "Tepes" Draculesti.

Alexander "The Great" of Macedon

MTIwNjA4NjMzNzIxNzUxMDUy.jpg

You don't get a "The Great" in your name for just being a really interesting guy, lol. My favorite warlord, ancient leader, and tactician.

Vlad "Tepes" Draculesti

vladtepesportrait.jpg

This man's life is ripped straight from a Hollywood action trilogy. It is a remarkable story you should really look into.

Socrates

220px-%CE%A3%CF%89%CE%BA%CF%81%CE%AC%CF%84%CE%B7%CF%82,_%CE%91%CE%BA%CE%B1%CE%B4%CE%B7%CE%BC%CE%AF%CE%B1_%CE%91%CE%B8%CE%B7%CE%BD%CF%8E%CE%BD_6616.jpg

A great philosopher. I am fond of his era Greek history, as well as the work of Plato, who taught Aristotle, who taught Alexander.

Carl Sagan

carl-sagan-cosmos-011.jpg

Amazing man, amazing scientist. We own a great deal of what we have done and know about our solar system and galaxy to this man. Science itself owes a great deal to this man.

Giordano Bruno

universe-and-man-larger.png

This man was pretty amazing and interesting. He can barely be considered a scientist, he was a holy man, and yet -- with no actual evidence -- he predicted stars were actually distant suns, and that beyond our planet's form, there was a vast multitude of other suns and worlds, essentially guessing that space is a sea of celestial bodies, and we are but 1 of them. He was killed for this belief by the good Lord's henchmen.

Genghis Khan

aug-18-genghis-khan.jpg

Excellent leader, warlord, and soldier. I have always been fascinated by Genghis, and the skill of Mongolian mounted marksmanship.

Oda Nobunaga

ACM_Oda_Nobunaga_3.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Grettir the strong. He's you're typical Berserker whose noted for his herculean strength, And having allegedly wrestled a homicidal phantom

THE-SAGA-OF-GRETTIR-THE-STRONG-1-C31103.jpg

Can't pick one.

Buster Keaton is on top, though.

Josephine Baker.

Ovid.

Col. Joshua L. Chamberlain

Padre Pio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back