Opinion Favorite Greek gods/myths?

iZie_b00

Professional sleeper
Hulloo! Are there any greek myth guru's out there? I actually draw some inspiration from these legends for certain roleplays. Or if I need a laugh. It's hilarious how dumb the gods act whenever something or someone upsets them.

For example, a lesser species has fire? Send them plague, disease, and other evils to gain revenge. (That's supposed to be the tale of Pandora's Box btw)

Oh! Or what about Hades kidnapping Persephone? Hades is usually a pretty chill dude in the real myths, but he acted like a pig when he trapped poor Persephone in the underworld.

Anyway, what are your favorite gods or myths? And why. Don't forget the why.

My personal favorite goddess in Aphrodite... or Venus... or whatever you want to call her. I like her simply because she knows what she wants. Especially in the Trojan War where an argument between 3 goddesses turn into a full on war between two nations.

Artemis and Hades have to be my two favorites out of everyone in Greek Mythology. Artemis because she is the goddess of the hunt while she also protects the forests. I think it’s interesting how she has those two combined as it’s supposed to be different. I think it’s neat Artemis is the most respected goddess.

I chose Hades because the underworld has always fascinated me. I like how he mostly stays unproblematic (besides kidnapping Persephone but you know what I mean. I do ship them though just going to say that) Hades is very straightforward which I like too.

The tale of Eros and Psyche is one of my favorites, and one of my favorite books, Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis is based on it. It’s a beautiful story in itself, but also a good allegory of how the soul can lose love due to distrust but gain it back through sacrifice.

My favorite gods are Hephaestus, Apollo, and Hades. Hephaestus because I just feel so bad for the poor guy, even if his revenge schemes were kinda...out there. Apollo? It's still a bit of a mystery why I like him so much, but Hades is another sympathy thing. Trapped in the Underworld because he drew a bad lot? That's tough, man.

As for my favorite myth, I adore the Hades and Persephone myth. It stands to so many interpretations, and that's probably half the reason I like it so much. It's inspired a lot of things for me in regards to roleplay ideas or writing ideas in general. My second favorite is probably Eros and Psyche--it seems so meaningful to me. And my third favorite would probably have to be the version of the Theseus myth when Dionysus takes Ariadne as his wife after Theseus abandons her. I'm a sucker for things like that.

Hermanubis.

17126781_184859962009830_1868098074094600192_n.jpg

Cassandra. The way that she got there was tragic but then again most of the gods would definitely be the villain in a modern story. I'm definitely a fan of similar characters that are played for laughs.

Also Cerberus. I mean, 3 for 1 guard dog that could play tug o war with itself is pretty awesome. If it weren't a bloodthirsty hellhound I would want one.

Least favorite: Zeus. I really hate Zeus. Especially the Disney version because they tried to paint him in a positive light. Any story that involves a dead Zeus gets an automatic +10 cool points for fanservice, which rises to +20 if it was a humiliating death. If Zeus is a good guy, regardless of how good the rest of the story is I probably hate it, the author, the author's dog, and whoever manufactured whatever device they wrote it with, whether it be a computer, typewriter, pen, or pencil. Like I said, I REALLY hate Zeus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back