Anime & Manga Favorite Anime?

635786395903372679-802094152_pope2.jpg

Princess Tutu is my favorite anime. It is about a duck that becomes a girl that becomes a magical girl through ballet and fairy tales, involves a cat ballet teacher named Neko-Sensei, a raven... crow... thing (They're rather unclear), and a German dude that narrates and laughs about how he's writing everything to be a jerk.

Also it's basically ballet instead of fight scenes

Yu Yu Hakusho! Oldie but a goodie :)

D.Gray-Man comes in second and Psycho Pass in third. The last one is fairly new but it had me hooked. Its second season was a bit of a disappoint, but the movie made up for it :'D Kogami Shinya ♥

One older anime and two more recent ones.

Black Lagoon!

A Certain Magical Index.

A Certain Scientific Railgun.

{Hope A Certain Scientific Accelerator is made soon as well <3}

No anime is able to illustrate the pure aspirations of a modest yet relatable protagonist quite like Cory in the House. The small scale, ever-so-human dilemmas which Cory is faced with prove to be refreshing when compared to the repetitive world-threatening crises that other anime use in their generic formulas.

Honestly, it's just an all around, damn good anime. Needs to become the standard for the genre.

I have two favorites, the monogatari series and the fate franchise. Though I can't decide whether my absolute favorite is unlimited bladeworks or Kizumonogatari or Kabukimonogatari

Woof!

Last edited:
I could never narrow it down to just one. Your Lie In April, Angel Beats, Erased, Death Parade, Hunter x Hunter (2011), One Punch Man...

Darker than black and Devil may cry. xD I can't decide since I like both the same.

Haibane Renmei - A gorgeous series that I can and have written essays on. Im not going to go into much, because I can go on forever. If you want a beautiful looking, kinda slow, but can get really intense when it starts going, something that you have to watch and take in than this one is for. Its not for everyone, like I said, its slow, not much actually happens it, and its not a fun type of watch. Its, to me, the definition of a "Healing" anime, as it has helped me coup with certain aspects of my life.

Sora No Woto (Sound of the Sky) - I like to call it Haibane Renmei diet. Has a lot of the same character archetypes, and the relationships of the characters are similar. However, this one is more fun and less thought provoking. Its a great light-hearted little series. Again, not much happens in it and its a bit slow. The point of a "Healing" anime is make the viewer feel good, and this one definitely does that.

Gunslinger Girl - Getting off the "Healing" anime trend, although Gunslinger Girl has elements of that genre and would definitely be considered one if it wasn't for the bursts of bloody violence. This anime is the perfect blind of light-hearted feel good family moments and shooty shooty fun time action. It goes back and forth from being an action assassin organization series and a family show about siblinghood almost seamlessly. Its a really good show.

Rozen Maiden - I love cute things and the original 2 Rozen Maiden series are the cutest (the 3rd one sucks). Cute dolls! Cute characters! Cute jokes! With some cool badass moments sprinkled here and there. Definitely the most typically anime on this list.

I make no claims of being an Anime genius, but ive explored several anime out there. My experience is pretty limited to any that have made it to Dub since I find Sub to be unwatchable.
Anyway, my favorite is defiantly Psycho-Pass.

I just love the whole concept of the Sibyl System and the ability to see how likely someone is to commit a crime. It's like, a perfect system and the show does an amazing job of highlighting it's flaws. Also, Akane Tsunomori is one of the best female characters and she's amazing.

Akame Ga kill is one of my favorite anime since it shows how heroes have the equivalent chance of dying like any other other villain in the anime. But my favorite anime would have to be Date A Live.

HunterXHunter with Yu Yu Hakusho at a very close second. The only thing pushing HxH to first place is it's the series that introduced me to my boyfriend.

See the word anime?

*cliiiiiiccckkk*

Anywho, when you've been living and breathing anime like it's oxygen (like I have for the past god knows how many years) then it's almost impossible to properly narrow it down to a single favourite. However, there is one particular anime that I cannot highly recommend enough.

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin is a hidden diamond that I'm surprised hasn't had much exposure; or at least, I think hasn't had much exposure since I haven't met many who've even heard of it before. Honestly, what this anime made me feel is something that I can't express with words - really, it's something that everyone would have to experience for themselves. I know it probably won't be for everybody, some people aren't into the gritty, darker themes... but don't let that put you off from trying it, there's just so much more to be seen.

I was bored so I decided to make some lists, because choosing one favorite?? Not happening. My top ten series, except they're in no particular order. The first two are definitely my top two favorite anime but after that it's hard to order the list so I just listed names as they came to mind. These are the shows that stick in my head months and years after I've completed them, that still excite and inspire me just by thinking about them.
  • Giant Robo (a somewhat lesser-known 90s OVA. 7 episodes of over the top action, melodrama, gorgeous retro-futuristic design and absolutely beautiful cel animation.)
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (*looks at current avatar* wrow, big surprise. I can't choose my favorite part. I love them all so dearly.)
  • The Big O (Both seasons, though I understand why some dislike season 2)
  • Future Boy Conan (a 70s post apocalyptic show directed by none other than Hayao Miyazaki. It feels like a prototype for Castle in the Sky in some ways. It was never officially released in English but thankfully there are excellent fansubs!)
  • Turn A Gundam
  • Revolutionary Girl Utena
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (both seasons)
  • Hunter x Hunter (2011)
  • The Vision of Escaflowne (This is on Crunchyroll now go watch it!!!)
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion (including End of Evangelion, even if that's cheating)

This list is always subject to change though as my backlog contains many shows I'm sure will make it onto my top ten once I actually watch them. Honorable mentions: the Lupin III franchise, the Dragon Ball franchise (still haven't watched Super), the 2004 adaptation of Tetsujin 28, Death Parade, Steins;Gate, Sailor Moon (the 90s adaptation), Heartcatch Precure, From the New World, Tiger and Bunny, My Hero Academia, Shirobako, actually I could sit here for quite a while just listing stuff that's almost an all-time favorite or used to be an all-time favorite. Anime... is cool.

Some favorite movies, again in no particular order.
  • Castle in the Sky
  • Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Movie
  • Your name. (Being able to see this in the theater was one of my highlights of 2017, no joke)
  • Windaria (An 80s tragic fantasy movie that again has no official English release. Well, sort of. Back in the day when a lot of anime was only released with heavy edits, there was a heavily edited dub of the movie that tried to make it somewhat less depressing. I've only seen a fansub so I have no idea what that dub is like.)
  • The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
  • Tokyo Godfathers
  • Millennium Actress
  • One Piece: Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island (I stopped following One Piece years ago but this movie still sticks in my head. When Funimation got the One Piece license I was most excited for the movies, oddly enough. But they never released the ones I actually wanted!)
  • Kiki's Delivery Service
  • Akira (I really need to get around to reading the manga.)
Again, there's a ton of movies I want to see that will probably get on this list! I also have a weakness for formulaic 'based on an existing series' movies that are basically an extended episode of said series with better animation, a new storyline, and random movie-exclusive characters. I know these things usually aren't great filmmaking but they're sort of my anime movie comfort food. They also seem a little less common nowadays as most of the big franchise movies are making the movie storylines more important to the main canon. I've got some honorable mentions here too: Robot Carnival, the Evangelion Rebuilds, Hotarubi no Mori e, Summer Wars... I'd put the original Ghost in the Shell on this list too except I haven't actually seen it since the days of renting anime from Blockbuster on VHS. I really need to rewatch it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back