Lorsh

Varlot
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)

Note: Each player gets a separate thread to prevent metagaming. They can still interact, however.

Manage your group, its lands and lieutenants, face dilemmas, make decisions, recruit warriors, and try to fulfill your prophesy, whatever it may be.

fate of steel logo.png

In a world of fear and feudalism, play as the leader of a forgotten and dispossessed clan or cult that has kept to its ancient ways. You may not have the lands and castles and steel of your foes (the 'Bolds', or 'People of Paragon'), but you have access to forbidden knowledge... Enchantments, demonic incantations, recipes for ancient alchemy, sacrificial rituals... This must be your edge in this new and hateful world that would see your kind put to the sword.

You don't have to play as one of the prompts below, but some possible factions are:

Old Clan
The Galds. The first folk of the first faith. When sacrifices were burned in the great wicker men, the gods would make answer. Shaman, druid and warlock possessed great powers not wielded by any other mortal. Taking a foe's head granted you their soul as a slave in the spirit realm, and a draught of their blood gave you their vigor.

Other clans have damned themselves to the worship of Paragon, the 'One God' of the Bolds - the men in steel, the 'Great Slayers' of your kind. They are betrayers, worse than the Bolds themselves, for they have forsaken their ancestors to appease the lowland hordes, married their noble sows, and willfully forgotten eons of sacred traditions. May their spirits be trampled.

Your tribe has been driven away from its traditional lands, into the high mountains and deep forests of Fyrdos, while some have been pushed into the blasted ruins of what was once the Empire.

Where once you could live on lands where crops grew and cattle grazed, now you must take what you need by the sword. But that is well and good, for the Old Gods are hungry for blood, and so are you.
1648692710751.png

Sorceror Order
You are the descended from the Sorcerai, the glowing-eyed, spellweaving caste that pulled the strings of Aedor's imperial court, dictated the weather with sacrifice, and even magically sired new races and creatures ('Faends') into existence. The Grand Consortium of Mystics was always more powerful than the Emperor, who served as the secular face for the people. The Consortium and its ordained cults wielded very powerful magicks and spoke to the Gods themselves. They were the ones that chose whom to sacrifice to the arcane. Cults would raise their own "tithelings" for sacrifice, but in the waning days of Aedor, these proved insufficient. A dearth of arcane energies. Soon, the rituals were supplemented by slaves and criminals, and then urchins... finally, the common folk were being obliged to give up their own children to the sorcerors' circles.

This was the beginning of the end. Faith in the arcane cult of the Consortium and the sorceror-nobility was no longer shared by the masses. The People of Paragon, worshipers of the 'One God' and despisers of all things sorcerous, eventually won the support of both the commons and the Emperor. War erupted across the Empire.

Even then, little could be done to contest the power of the cults, even after years of diminishing manas. That was until 'Miria the Martyr', beloved daughter of the Matron of the Order of Healers and the Cult of Empyra, was sacrificed by the Consortium for refusing to relinquish her faith in Paragon. This turned one of the Consortium's most powerful cults to the side of the Paragonites, which was ultimately enough to turn the tide of the war.

The Consortium was dismantled. The Emperor was killed, and Aedor collapsed in on itself. Vast swaths of land were scourged by destructive magicks and overrun by monstrosities. It is here where you must take refuge, for neither castle nor town, nor manor will shelter you in Boldic land.

Now, spells and magicks are no longer so potent as they once were, yet their casters are more vilified than ever. There are those who still believe... but for their trust in the arcane ways, everywhere there are blades of cold iron seeking their hearts. The past that was built by sorcery has been destroyed, and the memories of the old gods condemned.

But an ancient order such as yours is not so easily destroyed...
arcaner lord.png

Necromantic Order

By now, your people are used to living in the shadows. The fall of the Old Kingdom ('Aedor') was hardly of consequence, for your order was already an outlawed one - not even the Old Kingdom tolerated the dark art of necromancy. The reaving churchmen killed nigh all the other sorcerors, but your cult's shrines could scarcely be found. Now, your order may yet rise again, for the dessicated corpse of the Old Kingdom is a fertile breeding ground for dark cults. The land is still twisted and scarred from the great wars that tore the Old Kingdom apart, so the Boldic kingdoms rightfully see it as cursed, and rarely tread there.
necromancer lord 2.png

Map

1647795333341.png

Last edited:
Seems interesting, I'd be down to give it a go.
Sweet! Any particular faction type you're interested in? It's a bit more flexible than having a clan/cult, though. You could be a group of 'faend' refugees, a mercenary band, etc.

Sweet! Any particular faction type you're interested in? It's a bit more flexible than having a clan/cult, though. You could be a group of 'faend' refugees, a mercenary band, etc.

Have some ideas, but wanted to know more about the world too. Is the world almost entirely human outside of the Faend creations of the sorcerers? Also a rough idea as to what these Faends are? Like are they mutated humans, beastkin, orcs/ogres, etc.

Last edited:
Have some ideas, but wanted to know more about the world too. Is the world almost entirely human outside of the Faend creations of the sorcerers? Also a rough idea as to what these Faends are? Like are they mutated humans, beastkin, orcs/ogres, etc.
The world is pretty heavily human-dominated. There's a few creeps here and there that are said to have existed since before Aedor, like instectoids and lizard-things and such, but most nonhumans are sorcerous in origin.

Faends can be pretty variable. They were created to appease the pantheon of the Empire's old gods, who had various creatures in their lore - and also to create specialized slave castes (the orc-esque brutes would probably be for labor, for example), and to punish criminals by deforming them, etc.

Your 'average' faend is mostly human-esque, while others tend to look like lepers or mutants, and humans will generally also refer to other random monstrosities as 'faends' as well.

1649013904495.png

Lorsh Lorsh XD You responded right when I edited it something, so I'll edit the edit and repost what I wrote here in a new post, also bumps the thread which is good.

Here is the idea I was thinking of:

So I feel like there is a very good like Teutonic Crusade vibe here with knights coming to wipe out Baltic themed pagans [This could be way wrong], but it is the vibe I got. So I kinda wanna lean into it with a good ol' Romanian Strigoi Vampiress in a ruined keep. Have her be horribly disfigured via being burnt so she can no longer 'have daughters' [So can't make new vampires], is obsessed with things that are beautiful so has this need to 'collect' pretty objects and people to surround herself with and feed into a dellusion that she, herself, is still beautiful.

Dip heavily into necromancy and have one of her big goals to be to gain enough virgins/children to bathe in their blood because she believes the magic she can draw from it would allow to to regain her beauty and allow her to sire daughters.

How she came to be in this world I am open to fitting into the lore. LIke she could have been a creation of the sorcerers, or she, herself, was a necromantic sorcerer obsessed with immortality, etc.

Cosmo Cosmo

That works! The 'pagans'/barbarians on the map are more Celtic/Saxon themed, but yeah, same sorta deal. Those vampiric themes all fit in well with the setting.

I figure that your girl could have been a necromancer/sorcerous creation that has risen again around Solace (an Old Kingdom palatinate), or maybe she was one of the nobles of the dark orders that was expelled to the west long ago? From there, she could have come to influence the local tribes. Plenty of ruins around there, too.

Would be interested in this, I think I'll go with a beleaguered clan of Galds, eking out an existence in the wilds.

Would be interested in this, I think I'll go with a beleaguered clan of Galds, eking out an existence in the wilds.
Sounds great, feel free to throw up a CS whenever you're ready!

Lorsh Lorsh
Question for you: The Sorcerous Orders, just where would they be hiding out at?

I'm toying with an order of flesh warpers, save the magic is bound into masks and armor. They can enhance and alter the wearers into powerful forms depending on intent, meaning simple cult soldiers might be weak brigands swollen into warriors or other forms suited to the needs of the master of this fallen cult and house.

They also rely upon the masks to conceal their true faces generally. It just sort of a shifted focus as this group can no longer make Faends but they know how to empower a mask to alter a form to their needs. So Cult Thralls would be enhanced for their tasks.

Does that seem suitable?

They tend to be around Solace, one of the cursed Old Kingdom's cities.

A flesh warping cult that's in possession of cursed masks and is doable - though they would probably require rituals/appropriate amounts of sacrificial flesh to create.

1649627698871.png

If there is still room, I would like to join in as a member of the Necromantic Order

If there is still room, I would like to join in as a member of the Necromantic Order
Feel free to make a CS, at worst it might have to be put on hold until I get the others put up.

Still kicking. Looking forward to this, but take your time. Not in a rush. :-D

Lorsh Lorsh So I've poked my head in here a few times now and finally decided that I'd like to join. Thinking of doing something heavily druid inspired.

Users who are viewing this thread