• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Colosseum Fate/Freefall: Act 1

[QUOTE="Azure Sky]By the way, the Sister must have been really unstable mentally to break from one nasty comment ... :o

[/QUOTE]
Indeed.

@Adachi

Ah, thank you so much. I certainly did have fun writing this up. You are certainly right, the main part of Fate is the relationships. My playing of the Masters, is not the best thing to do. The last RP was tons more fun cause' of the relationships being built like you say, but there were quite a few problems in the background that a normal player or onlooker just can't see. You all here are great, the issue is, there just isn't 14 I can trust. Getting even 7 of you active, interested, and non-lazy people here, is a great achievement. That's why I'll forever thank everyone involved and it kills me this ended this way. You wouldn't believe how many people were nervous, pessimistic, or scared to even interact in the RP. Role-plays like this, just won't work with people like that.

So I am at an impasse. I can't give what I don't get back. Opening all the spots would require some initiative and manning up, lol. I simply can't do this with skittish and nervous role-players. Berserker and your Assassin were the only ones I really saw getting into the role. That was very cool, and that's exactly what I'm looking for.

@BLUR

LOL. I know how you feel. Heavens knows I'll write up a storm for any project I'm in, but I need to know I'm not writing to an empty room. If somehow, 14 willing people can come together, then I'll have no problem writing pages of my best for them.

@QuirkyAngel

Correct. Depending on the decisions, the teams could have been split up if someone actually tried to do that. Patrek was developing feelings for Kimiko, Liliane was beginning to get upset at Tomasson, Eiji had conflict with Kimiko, and Grisha was a wild card who would have turned to anyone that made friends with him. Absolutely nothing was set in stone and that's what I was disappointed about. So what if someone is a Servant? That doesn't mean they have any less influence on what happens. They can just as easily push the Master in a certain direction!!

@Azure Sky

She was! Had there been a winner, she would have destroyed the Main Grail as they reached for it, ending the Wars forever. ( :P ). Having all 4 RPs in this is optional. If someone won the 1st, then this series would be completely over. Ya'll have more power than you think.

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE="White Masquerade]Getting even 7 of you active, interested, and non-lazy people here, is a great achievement. That's why I'll forever thank everyone involved and it kills me this ended this way. You wouldn't believe how many people were nervous, pessimistic, or scared to even interact in the RP. Role-plays like this, just won't work with people like that.

[/QUOTE]
Yeah. I have only been on this site for a few months and generally it has been hard to find an RP with a large amount of talented and active people. I see the reservations you have here.

[QUOTE="White Masquerade]Absolutely nothing was set in stone and that's what I was disappointed about. So what if someone is a Servant? That doesn't mean they have any less influence on what happens. They can just as easily push the Master in a certain direction!!

[/QUOTE]
This is where I am going to have my biggest disagreement with you. My servant did not want to be in fight at the end, didn't want to be in a team with Fabiana, and did not want Kimiko to start causing destruction (of any capacity) in the city.

1) I had to be on a team with Fabiana even though I tried to convince my master that we both should have left. I think my argument was sound, but it seemed like that relationship was set in stone.

2) i had to be in the fight at the end because if I didn't my master would not at all cooperate with me. She sent me to protect someone I did not want to protect. It was once again argued to me that Fabiana is on our team so I have to join the fight.

3) I didn't have any say in the destruction in the city because it was posted and I didn't have a chance to actually voice concerns.

I felt, for the most part, powerless to the will of my master. The only real compromise that was made was Kimiko not actually joining the "final" fight. Which she was going to do, had Patrek not convinced her himself.

Maybe I could have eventually had more of a say in these things, but I never had a chance due to the RP ending so soon.

I do not mind being used as a tool, if I am a servant. I just think that in general, when a servant is treated this way, it will cause them to speak up less.

Sorry if this all seems argumentative. Your profile says not to just agree with you, but to tell you what you could do better, so that's what I am doing! You seem very passionate, and you also seem like someone that can take constructive criticism.

Honestly, I can't understand where you're coming from on this @White Masquerade . It seems you had some pretty hefty expectations from the servants for how few posts there were. Even if no masters had existed, and the role-play was completely servant oriented, then each servant ould have only been able to manage 5-6 posts up till now, which I believe would not have been nearly enough to fill your expectations of how the roles were to be played. In fact, I would say most of your complaints can be attributed to the fact that the role-play had just barely started.

In addition, I think the several limitations the rules of the role-play place on our writing also helps everyone be a little more cautious with their writing. They don't want to waste posts, as they would be wasting posts for everyone, and it's difficult to write good posts with 3- paragraph limitations. There hasn't been much chance for everyone to "get in the role" as you say. Personally, I enjoyed reading Caster's posts more than anyone else, because I think @Azure Sky made the most of her situation.

For the part about finding people, I thought that earlier you said that you found 6 people to play masters? In addition to yourself, those seven would have filled all the spots in the rp. Whether they would have been active or not, I can't tell you, but at least it seems they showed enough interest to be a part of this thing. I was absolutely shocked when you said you were gonna be playing all the masters, and I had a feeling it wasn't gonna go well. In the end, I would say that despite the problems you say you had behind the scenes for the first RP, that Fate/Rising turned out much better than Fate/Freefall.

Finally, on the note on the Servant's and their ability to influence events, I feel as though your point is completely contradicted by the events of this role-play in and of itself. Before I delve into what I mean, I should mention that in essence, Servants are side characters. The Masters are the Generals and Commanders of the Grail Wars, and the Servants are the weapons. Whether Servants have influence or not, entirely depends on what kind of person they are working with, which is fine, because that is the essence of role-playing.

But to state that our servants did have influence and that we didn't try is simply false. When Archer was summoned, in my first post, I made sure he made his feelings clear to a master he was completely incompatible with. He wanted her to give up her arrogance and take the war seriously, along with treating her alliance members better. What does she do in response? Use a command seal. Immediately, a relationship has been created between them reminiscent of the relationship between Lancer and Kotomine in Fate/Stay Night. Again, this is the essence of roleplaying, so of course I wasn't upset or disappointed, in fact I was excited at the prospect of such an interesting dynamic. But again, to say that no one tried would be to completely ignore many actions in the role-play.

As Adachi said, his character was also unable to influence anything. I don't remember anyone else trying to persuade their master to do something, but even if they didn't that's fine too. There is nothing wrong with being content with the way things are going, especially since we only managed to post #40, meaning chances for serious persuasion were minimal.

Like I said before, I'm fine with the role-play ending how it ended, but your reasoning for it is what bothers me. You're basically saying we didn't role-play correctly and thats why it ended early, when: 1. There should not be a correct way to roleplay and 2. Your expectations were unfair given the circumstances.

Both of these points are brought on by your statement that only Berserker and Assassin played correctly. What exactly is correctly? The only way I know to incorrectly role-play is to break rules such as god-modding or meta-gaming.

@Adachi

That is not a problem at all. I thank you for that, lol. But correcting me won't be easy. I also feel I'm right here too.

1) You are correct. The argument was sound and it was logical. However, did the argument consider how Kimiko felt? Or did it just consider it through the eyes of Assassin? This is what trips a lot of people with the NPC I do. They're not going to listen to what someone says and reply, "Yes you are right." Kimi had been under the protective eye and training with Fabi for more than 1 year. Fabi taught her so many things about mage-craft and how to get better. Suddenly assassin pops up and then after 2-3 hours, says for Kimi to leave Fabi behind because she's not good news? =P. Fabiana had way more credibility than Assassin at that point. Trust. Assassin did try, but completely went about it in the wrong way. Humans aren't cold, logical machines! They have their own needs, wants, and desires, that sometimes goes against "what makes sense."

2) Not at all. There's nothing your character had to do. That is the beauty of the Master-Servant relationship. Let me point to Archer. I might as well say it now. I didn't tell BLUR, but his character actually held more power in that relationship. What I was doing with Fabiana was a BIG BLUFF and he fell for it (o'v'o). When Fab used that command seal, BLUR's character had the upper hand from that moment on. Anything he ordered Fab to do, she would have listened. <-- This is because Fab is not dumb. To win, she needs his co-operation. If his character continued ignoring commands and costing seals, that leaves Fab with less and less chance of winning.

If she said, "Archer. Kick Patrek." Archer could reply, "Shut up. We're going back to base." Fab would look at her command seals and follow him obediently without a word. They need each other to win. Why risk angering Archer again and wasting another seal?

3) If you look back, it was Kalin's character that convinced Patrek! Had Kalin's not said anything, Patrek would have ran out to be with Fab.

BLUR I will have yours in a bit. You give me a lot to read O.o

BLUR said:
In addition, I think the several limitations the rules of the role-play place on our writing also helps everyone be a little more cautious with their writing. They don't want to waste posts, as they would be wasting posts for everyone, and it's difficult to write good posts with 3- paragraph limitations.
For this, yes, you are absolutely correct. That is just another part of the game to manage. A person can sit back in the shadows and wait things out, but they risk finishing without doing anything at all. Which in my opinion, is very fair. Why give reward to someone not willing to take the risk for it?

BLUR said:
For the part about finding people, I thought that earlier you said that you found 6 people to play masters? In addition to yourself, those seven would have filled all the spots in the rp. Whether they would have been active or not, I can't tell you, but at least it seems they showed enough interest to be a part of this thing.
Ah, I found 6 people with me included. They were interested in playing, but I don't know if they were interested in playing Masters. Servants are the fun class of the two, but also the more demanding. As much as I played up the Masters, truly, the Servants are the ones that run this RP. It's an extremely big role; especially story-wise. Let's be honest. People watch Fate to see Servants fight. Not Masters. No one cares much about Shirou and the others in Fate. They care about Saber, Lancer, Assassin, Archer, etc and their stories. If a Master dropped because of disinterest, I'd either have to end the RP, or fill in their position myself. The best option was to play them all myself. But like I said before, Masters don't carry a story.

BLUR said:
I was absolutely shocked when you said you were gonna be playing all the masters, and I had a feeling it wasn't gonna go well. In the end, I would say that despite the problems you say you had behind the scenes for the first RP, that Fate/Rising turned out much better than Fate/Freefall.
That, I understand. I really can't say much, because it'd be hard to explain to you how much and how far I had to bend over backwards to keep everything together, so that the problems never made it to the players. That's the responsibility of the GM, and I was happy I was able to do so in that instance.

BLUR said:
Like I said before, I'm fine with the role-play ending how it ended, but your reasoning for it is what bothers me. You're basically saying we didn't role-play correctly and thats why it ended early, when: 1. There should not be a correct way to roleplay and 2. Your expectations were unfair given the circumstances.
Gotcha. No, there is no correct way to role-play! Don't think I think that. This part goes back to the post limit thing. I assumed there would be some action, tension, and we'd get a good game going, but when everyone's strategy is to wait around and avoid each other until someone else does something, you see what position that puts me in? I have to follow 7 strategies of waiting on somebody else. This is directly why I was doing most of the posting. So had I not had that outlet set with the sister, I would have been stuck role-playing by myself ( :P ). I love RPing, but I was not going to do that for 68 more posts.

BLUR said:
Both of these points are brought on by your statement that only Berserker and Assassin played correctly. What exactly is correctly? The only way I know to incorrectly role-play is to break rules such as god-modding or meta-gaming.
For this, yeah, sorry, I used the wrong word. Giving me assistance? I don't know if there's a better word or phrase to describe that. It felt like I was doing a quest.

[QUOTE="White Masquerade]For this, yes, you are absolutely correct. That is just another part of the game to manage. A person can sit back in the shadows and wait things out, but they risk finishing without doing anything at all. Which in my opinion, is very fair. Why give reward to someone not willing to take the risk for it?
Ah, I found 6 people with me included. They were interested in playing, but I don't know if they were interested in playing Masters. Servants are the fun class of the two, but also the more demanding. As much as I played up the Masters, truly, the Servants are the ones that run this RP. It's an extremely big role; especially story-wise. Let's be honest. People watch Fate to see Servants fight. Not Masters. No one cares much about Shirou and the others in Fate. They care about Saber, Lancer, Assassin, Archer, etc and their stories. If a Master dropped because of disinterest, I'd either have to end the RP, or fill in their position myself. The best option was to play them all myself. But like I said before, Masters don't carry a story.

That, I understand. I really can't say much, because it'd be hard to explain to you how much and how far I had to bend over backwards to keep everything together, so that the problems never made it to the players. That's the responsibility of the GM, and I was happy I was able to do so in that instance.

Gotcha. No, there is no correct way to role-play! Don't think I think that. This part goes back to the post limit thing. I assumed there would be some action, tension, and we'd get a good game going, but when everyone's strategy is to wait around and avoid each other until someone else does something, you see what position that puts me in? I have to follow 7 strategies of waiting on somebody else. This is directly why I was doing most of the posting. So had I not had that outlet set with the sister, I would have been stuck role-playing by myself ( :P ). I love RPing, but I was not going to do that for 68 more posts.

For this, yeah, sorry, I used the wrong word. Giving me assistance? I don't know if there's a better word or phrase to describe that. It felt like I was doing a quest.

[/QUOTE]
I do have to bring up that if Patrek had given Saeba(Spoiler!!!) an order to attack a target earlier, he would have done so. Saber was a servant in all meanings of the word. He only gave his opinion when adressed, and he was never going to argue with a request that didn't totally go against what he stood for. Heck, if Patrek hadn't sent him to Fabiana, I wouldn't have even posted again during the rp.

So...from where I stood during this rp, it looked like you were doing alot of the work, yes, but I felt like the reason things didn't pick up sooner was for lack of making use of the servants as the tools they're supposed to be. Character interactions, servant or master, are what make Fate great, btw. And we didn't get nearly enough of that because of post limits and characters that weren't afforded an opportunity to really show themselves. Heck, my character's personality was only ever really meant to shine on the battlefield, and when the time came for me to start getting serious and actually do that, I was excited. But that obviously didn't work out. And I really eant to apologize if I seem angry at any point because I don't want to seem like I'm whining or complaining out of anger, or needlessly bringing up my displeasure, what with it being over, but the longer it sits in the back of my mind, the more I feel like something else could have been done, and then I get depressed and urghhhhh.....

...Nevermind. As much as I like writing and roleplaying, I suck at putting my emotions into words, and soon enough I really will seem like a whiner. Im sorry, I'll just cut this short...

@Kalin Scarlet

Naw, you're good. It is better to have it out than keep it in. You're not whining or complaining. What you say, is what I meant earlier by initiative. I've been in so many role-plays where I've had to be the one to initiating everything. If I'm not there to stir things up and put myself out there, nothing happens. It drains you. I made a bet here and trusted I would have assistance in making things happen and get some outstanding unasked contributions, but I lost that one. Post limit or not, why is it up to me, to make your character shine? You see? I might as well have played all the characters myself if that were the case. It doesn't make sense. It's my role to make the characters I personally create stand out, and I believe I did that. I can help others with theirs, but at the end of the day, it falls to them; not the GM.

This will be very unpopular, but I'll say it. As a whole, the Masters showed up, and they outshined the Servants. I was having to make up posts between Kimi and Pat (I literally had nothing else to post for them after their last), just to do something. That is ridiculous, and in good faith, I can't continue an RP where that's what I find myself having to do to get to post #102. It's not good role-play for myself, or anyone playing the game.

@Kalin Scarlet[/URL]
Naw, you're good. It is better to have it out than keep it in. You're not whining or complaining. What you say, is what I meant earlier by initiative. I've been in so many role-plays where I've had to be the one to initiating everything. If I'm not there to stir things up and put myself out there, nothing happens. It drains you. I made a bet here and trusted I would have assistance in making things happen and get some outstanding unasked contributions, but I lost that one. Post limit or not, why is it up to me, to make your character shine? You see? I might as well have played all the characters myself if that were the case. It doesn't make sense. It's my role to make the characters I personally create stand out, and I believe I did that. I can help others with theirs, but at the end of the day, it falls to them; not the GM.

This will be very unpopular, but I'll say it. As a whole, the Masters showed up, and they outshined the Servants. I was having to make up posts between Kimi and Pat (I literally had nothing else to post for them after their last), just to do something. That is ridiculous, and in good faith, I can't continue an RP where that's what I find myself having to do to get to post #102. It's not good role-play for myself, or anyone playing the game.
Again, we can agree to disagree. I didn't think the master shined much, but there were only 40 posts, so I wasn't expecting anyone to shine anyway.

BLUR said:
I feel like you missed the point, but I don't want to argue anymore so we can agree to disagree.
Again, we can agree to disagree. I didn't think the master shined much, but there were only 40 posts, so I wasn't expecting anyone to shine anyway.
Okay. I will take that one. I apologize it didn't turn out how you would have liked. To everyone who played and watched.

[QUOTE="White Masquerade]Okay. I will take that one. I apologize it didn't turn out how you would have liked. To everyone who played and watched.

[/QUOTE]
Its alright.

Hey guys! So @White Masquerade let me make a new Fate RP with her system and the interest check is up! @BLUR is helping me post things as I am new to managing an RP.  If you guys are interested you should check it out! I have made some changes so you should look at the rules to see if you are intersted.  Post Limit, Master Creation and paragraph minimum have been changed, so if those are things that you find necessary you might not like this.  Hope some of you join!

Hey guys! So @White Masquerade let me make a new Fate RP with her system and the interest check is up! @BLUR is helping me post things as I am new to managing an RP.  If you guys are interested you should check it out! I have made some changes so you should look at the rules to see if you are intersted.  Post Limit, Master Creation and paragraph minimum have been changed, so if those are things that you find necessary you might not like this.  Hope some of you join!

Hey. I'd have to think about this one. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back