Status
Not open for further replies.

sonojax

Boros has committed a critical dumb
Title: Fatal Run
Game: D&D 5e, Oneshot, CITM Discord Server
Player Count: 4-6

Description:
About a year ago, disaster struck the continent of Obrell. A Slaadi incursion into the material plane was allowed to remain unchecked, and they adapted to their new environment. The Chaos Phage, the disease that creates Red Slaad, mutated and developed the ability to spread person to person. This plague ripped through the populace, and before long the land found itself under massive attack.

A group of scientists locked themselves away in Albagon, an ancient dwarven fortress, to try and develop a vaccine. For 9 months they toiled away in secrecy, desperately searching for a way to fight the disease. Two days ago, they did it. They developed a cure that will allow civilization to fight back against the Slaadi hordes without fear of seeing their own troops turned against them. It might be too little, too late, but it will have to do.

Unfortunately, in the time it took them to create their vaccine, the countryside between the fortress and the nearest city of Holmsburg has become a magical wasteland filled with Slaadi. All magical transport attempted has failed, and so the cure must be delivered over land. A wagon train, composed of scientists, base guards, and whoever else was trapped in the fortress when the doors closed, is being formed to take it there. This is civilization’s last shot at survival. It all rests on the success or failure of this one Fatal Run.

More Info:
This game is based on the Atari 2600 game of the same name. The oneshot itself will heavily involve attrition. Full rests will be very difficult, injuries will persist, and your heroes will be relentlessly tested. Characters will find themselves at the end of their resources, desperately trying to get to Holmsburg and get the vaccine into safe hands. Many won’t last until the end of the journey.

I’ll be using several variant rules from the DMG to further this goal. Healers Kit Dependency (P. 266), Slow Natural Healing (P.267), and Lingering Injuries (P. 272) (triggering on a failed death save or upon taking half your maximum hit points in damage from a single attack, with a DC 13 con check for permeance). Having a medic will therefore be essential in this game.

Depending on how the party wants to do things, this game could involve lots of mounted combat, vehicle combat, and/or chase sequences. Due to this, and the rules above, this game might not feel much like normal 5th edition. It will still be fun, but know that going in.

Character Creation:
Characters will be 11th level and will never level up. Multiclassing and feats are allowed. Homebrew and UA are fine if you clear them with me first. The mechanical tool proficiency uses in Xanathar’s (p. 79-85) are being used.

For magic items, choose 1 common, 2 uncommon, and 1 rare magic items, and run them by me during character creation. Each character will also receive 1 greater and 1 normal healing potion.

For non-magical equipment, feel free to grab any mundane weapons or armor you want, but only 75 gold of other equipment. Horses and wagons are provided, including warhorses if someone wants to go for a mounted combatant. The party will have 1000 gold to collectively spend on consumable spell components.

Feel free to DM me with questions.

Last edited:
Wow, this world sounds absolutely miserable and probably lethal. I'm totally in if you'll have me.

This sounds awesome, and I am totally in for it. I’ve always wanted to play a really cruel game of D&D with damage that sticks.

Eh sure why not, I'll toss my name in. No better way to celebrate the holidays than with some hopelessness and death.

That sounds super cool Jax. I have to fill my quota of tragedy somehow now that I'm not playing any Zil games.

I’m unfamiliar w/ the original game, but this sounds awesome (and terrifying)! Nothing like a good ol’ slaughterfest to get you in the Christmas spirit!

I'll toss my name in for this, I usually avoid the one shots but I like making high level characters

You have a lot of people so feel free to take others first but I'm always here for causing unnecessary pain and suffering like it's a Christmas Miracle~!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread