• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fat Gandalf's Bar & Lounge (OOC chat) - Chapter Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, Pips? Concerning Neqel's picture, does she really have the lip-ring? If so, is there a story behind that too?

Okies, folks! Catch up in-game and read the spoiler below, please. =)

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Sherwood Sherwood - I need a color for your d20 to properly Roll with Impact.
Psychie Psychie - I need a color for your d20 for that missile launch.
May the dice treat you well! =)

Also, a side note: my No. 2 hard drive decided to die today, so I'm in the process of reformatting my entire computer. I'm posting from my iPad at the moment and all my notifications are screwed.

Captain Hesperus

I had put my die selection in the IC post I just made, but to repeat it here, I'd like a white one, please.

Psychie sez, "Fox two! Missile away! Flares deployed! Good luck down there, guys."

For those of you who are interested in such nerdiness...
Real Life followed by Robotech: Broadsword terminology

In Real Life

Per Wikipedia, the "fox" code-words in Real Life mean...

"Fox is a brevity code used by NATO pilots to signal the simulated or actual release of an air-to-air munition or other combat function. Army aviation elements may use a different nomenclature, as the nature of helicopter-fired weapons is almost always air-to-surface. 'Fox' is short for 'foxtrot', the phonetic designation for the letter 'F', which is short for 'fire'. The radio call announcing that a weapon has been fired is intended to help avoid friendly fire, cuing other pilots to ensure that they do not maneuver into the path of harm.

There are four variations of the Fox brevity word, with a number added to the end of Fox to describe the primary type of sensors the launched munition possesses (if applicable). In addition, a separate brevity word for gunfire exists and is grouped with the four Fox codes for convenience.
*​

In Our Game
Instead of getting into which missile is which type (that way lies madness!), I decided last September or so to just keep it all simple. If you want a little flavor by using these code words, here they are. In Robotech: Broadsword, I'm using the following (in Technopolis under Weapons - Missiles and Rockets):
  • Fox One - Indicates launch of a Mini-missile.
  • Fox Two - Indicates launch of a Short-Range Missile.
  • Fox Three - Indicates launch of a Medium-Range Missile.
  • Fox Four - Indicates launch of a Long-Range Missile.
  • Fox Five - Indicates the firing of guns (any).

When fired in a salvo, this code-word is followed by a "times" followed by the number of missiles in the salvo. So, Shirley's use of Hairball's missiles in Mario's prologue was thus, "Fox Four times forty-four" or 44 long-range missiles. Quite a mouthful for quite a salvo.

There it is. =)

Also, Shirley wanted the flares and chaff launched during the buzz (on the mechs you're trying to distract). Don't worry about altering your post though; I'll act as if Toph launches the flares and chaff at the right moment. =)

Also, a side note: my No. 2 hard drive decided to die today, so I'm in the process of reformatting my entire computer. I'm posting from my iPad at the moment and all my notifications are screwed.

Copy, Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Man, that bites like you read about. All that information. My heart goes out to you.

If your notifications are screwed, should I alert you when I post then?

Also, Shirley wanted the flares and chaff launched during the buzz (on the mechs you're trying to distract). Don't worry about altering your post though; I'll act as if Toph launches the flares and chaff at the right moment. =)
Thank you, sir.

That's a lot of 'Fox'es. I never knew that they were so differentiated. Not being an Air Force guy, it makes sense that I wouldn't. Thanks for sharing, Dann.

Psychie sez, "Fox two! Missile away! Flares deployed! Good luck down there, guys."

For those of you who are interested in such nerdiness...
Real Life followed by Robotech: Broadsword terminology

In Real Life

Per Wikipedia, the "fox" code-words in Real Life mean...

"Fox is a brevity code used by NATO pilots to signal the simulated or actual release of an air-to-air munition or other combat function. Army aviation elements may use a different nomenclature, as the nature of helicopter-fired weapons is almost always air-to-surface. 'Fox' is short for 'foxtrot', the phonetic designation for the letter 'F', which is short for 'fire'. The radio call announcing that a weapon has been fired is intended to help avoid friendly fire, cuing other pilots to ensure that they do not maneuver into the path of harm.

There are four variations of the Fox brevity word, with a number added to the end of Fox to describe the primary type of sensors the launched munition possesses (if applicable). In addition, a separate brevity word for gunfire exists and is grouped with the four Fox codes for convenience.
*​

In Our Game
Instead of getting into which missile is which type (that way lies madness!), I decided last September or so to just keep it all simple. If you want a little flavor by using these code words, here they are. In Robotech: Broadsword, I'm using the following (in Technopolis under Weapons - Missiles and Rockets):
  • Fox One - Indicates launch of a Mini-missile.
  • Fox Two - Indicates launch of a Short-Range Missile.
  • Fox Three - Indicates launch of a Medium-Range Missile.
  • Fox Four - Indicates launch of a Long-Range Missile.
  • Fox Five - Indicates the firing of guns (any).

When fired in a salvo, this code-word is followed by a "times" followed by the number of missiles in the salvo. So, Shirley's use of Hairball's missiles in Mario's prologue was thus, "Fox Four times forty-four" or 44 long-range missiles. Quite a mouthful for quite a salvo.

There it is. =)

And, lest we forget, should anyone be carrying Air-launched Guided Missiles, there's also the term 'rifle' which is common parlance for weapons like the AGM-65.

Captain Hesperus

Hey, Pips? Concerning Neqel's picture, does she really have the lip-ring? If so, is there a story behind that too?

Complicated answer. I chose that picture because it nailed the feel of Neqel to me, with the bonus of having the right hair shade. I actually like the idea that Neqel had a lip-ring when she was newly with the man she'd marry and there's a part of me that likes the idea that she still would have one, as a way of establishing some individuality and being more than just another tank-born Meltrandi. But she's been with the ASC for three years now and I rather doubt a lip ring is consistent with the military uniform code of conduct. ;)

Edit: I'll get a reply up to my prologue tomorrow. This week's been just as rough as the last one. Thankfully, next week looks to be much better.

Re: d20 colors. Thanks! I'll roll and provide the results when real life allows.

-Pips. Back to back hell weeks! Jeez-Louise! Hope you get back to normal soon. =)

Heya folks! Please catch up in-game then read the following if you want to know how your character and teammates rolled. =)

(d20 Roll results for those interested)
-Psychie (white): 9. (5 or higher needed to Strike the sign).
-Hercules (green): 19.
-Mario (red): 7 (giving him a total of 10 on the Roll with Impact with the ground). It goes without saying that the number to beat from a fall like that was higher than 10.
-Booty (teal): 18.

Hmmm. Is it too late to use an AP to boost my roll so I don't break a leg on landing?

Yes, it is too late for AP expenditure. However, read the in-game post concerning the results.

So. Yeah. Last night, I'm very tired but my mind won't shut off so I decided to post in-game. The post takes about 2 fun-filled hours to write, comes in somewhere under 2000 words, and I'm pleased with it. So I hit "Post Reply" and groggily but happily prepare myself for a good night's sleep.

Then I wake up today and realize I only posted it in My Private Workshop where none of you can see it...

I have but one word to sum up my feelings...

DERRRRRRRRRP!!

So. Yeah. Enjoy the post, folks, courtesy of your all-too-human Game Master. =)

That happened once in Broadsword; a nearly 3,000-word post was eaten by RpN. I had no choice but to salvage what I remembered and rewrite it. I must have been at it for about 5 hours straight, but the post got done and I began saving my drafts in Word. =)

Ha ha ha! Okies, let me start from the top.

1. Re: Combat Piloting. Oh, yes. Your characters are able to attempt this maneuver because you have Combat Piloting! Why? Because I just would not let a commercial or typical civilian-trained pilot get away with something like this! They just duz not haz da mad skillz, yo... =)

2. "Sparlanx (Spartan/Phalanx)." From the New York Times best-seller, "Captain Hesperus's Handy Dandy Book of Creative Word Combinations." =) I never thought of combining the names of the Frankenmecha! That's cool! The more I thought about that, the more I also thought, "Well, how else do you classify them so neatly?" =)

3. Re: Sherwood's amusing post:
With his voice dripping in sarcasm, Mario responds to Herc's comment with, "Gee, ya think so? Thanks, Captain Obvious.

I got a chuckle out of this because the one player who has "Captain" in his name is having his character referred to as "Captain Obvious." Hah! Plus, I can just hear Mario in my head with this, "Thanks, Herc!" =)

And finally, 4. Sherwood Sherwood Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus When you (Cap'n) say, "He patted Mario and Booty each on the shoulder before taking off..." Well, taking off can be taken in more than one way. In O.O.C. here, would both of you tell me how your character is navigating that 100 yards or so of burned-out wasteland between the A.T..A.C. team and the pit?

Kaerri Kaerri Psychie Psychie What color dice would you like me to roll for your characters' Pilot checks (d10s or d100) and the Action Point (d6), please?

Pilot check: ones blue, tens yellow
Action Point: yellow

And finally, 4. Sherwood Sherwood Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus When you (Cap'n) say, "He patted Mario and Booty each on the shoulder before taking off..." Well, taking off can be taken in more than one way. In O.O.C. here, would both of you tell me how your character is navigating that 100 yards or so of burned-out wasteland between the A.T..A.C. team and the pit?
Using the Jump Pack would, in my opinion, draw too much attention to ourselves. Mario will run, using what cover I can find, going at a dead sprint. Hopefully we'll get down the ramp and out of sight before the bad guys recover their shit enough to look for us.

-Sherwood. O.K. =)
-Cap'n? What say you for Herc and MechaKitten?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back