• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fat Gandalf's Bar & Lounge (OOC chat) - Chapter Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that both Herc and Mario have been pretty clear in that we are both wiling to dismount and move in on foot while the Veritechs keep the scavengers occupied. I'm a tanker with no tank, and feeling as useless as tits on a warthog.

*Watches the players discuss and wonders what plan they'll settle on.* =)

7013588-watching-together.jpg
(Image credit: 7 Themes)

What I'm still wondering is, move in where?

I do sympathize with wanting to have something to do, really. I wouldn't care to be just sitting in the backseat either. I'm just concerned that we may drop you guys off in a situation we know nothing about and you get killed because of it.

Been utterly tanked with work this week and have totally lost sight of the game. I will get back on the horse, pronto! ;) Tonight if possible, this weekend for sure.

Hope you guys have been up to mischief!

I do sympathize with wanting to have something to do, really. I wouldn't care to be just sitting in the backseat either. I'm just concerned that we may drop you guys off in a situation we know nothing about and you get killed because of it.
Well, one way or the other, we have to deal with the scavengers. I can handle sitting tight in the back seat for a while.

Don't forget, Mario is a lowly grunt, and is used to following orders. So, if he is told to go in on foot, unless its a obvious suicide mission, he'll do it. He is a soldier, after all.

Times like these, it's nice to have a Dungeons and Dragons-style party spokesperson, but since we don't have one, I have to ask all of you:

"A reminder - your three Veritechs are hidden and stopped near the edge of Milton. The red sign and the area where the particle beam blast came from are about a mile and a half away. There seems to be no mech-sized cover in the darkness from the edge of town to the sign. What are the Wild Cards going to do? What is your plan?" =)

I just really think splitting up at this stage is a really bad idea. From what I read, we've got:
1) A glowy red sign that says "Enemy Base Here"
2) The tracks from 6-8 human-built ground mechs leading off in the general direction of the sign
3) A particle beam cannon of the type used by Tomahawks, coming from the general direction of the sign
4) A radio transmission over the ASC distress channel: "Back off, you lousy ASC bastards! This here old base is our find an' our salvage! An' everythin' in it! Try an' take it an' we'll blow your pretty little wings right outta the sky! So FUCK OFF!"

And the plan is to send the tankers, on foot, into a suspected trap filled with at least twice the mecha that they won't have to support them?

Our mission is to infiltrate a Zentraedi base, not play with scavengers. Either the Zentraedi abandoned the base overnight and the scavengers equally quickly took possession, or they're both in there fighting over it somehow, or this isn't the right base. Whichever it is, we know there's at least one way in big enough for mecha or they couldn't get the tanks in. Besides which, as a Zentraedi base, the interior's got to be big enough for them to move freely, so I don't see a good reason to leave the Valkyries behind if we can just get to it safely. And by "safely," I mean all six of us, in or out of the Valkyries, bearing in mind that they've already seen and fired on us once. A mega-damage cannon beam doesn't inspire me to leave my mech, but maybe tanker types are different?

We need to commit to an action; just sitting around will get us nowhere. We have three soldiers with heavy weapons and jump packs ready to move in. They can cross the distance to the "hidden base" quickly and under less scrutiny than the three Veritechs. If there is no base there, they can always be pulled out. If there is a base, then between our two Traversers, they can gain access under the noses of the Zentraedi (who will hopefully not be expecting opponents of that size coming into the base), find the tanks, then with all of us in our mecha, raise some hell and get our ground troops out while the airborne units provide cover.

That's my two cents worth.

My opinions:
  • It's functionally night-time.
  • The tankers all have heavy weapons with thermal optics.
  • We know the Red Zens speak 'human', but do they read it? Is the sign something they identify as a threat in the first place or (as I assume) did some enterprising Scavengers erect it to draw in their friends.
  • Unless the Red Zens are all dead or gone, the would have heard the sound of a MD energy weapon discharging, meaning that the base is about to go hot with Zeek particle weapons fire.
  • The Scavengers, by the conceit of their name, are using scavenged and jury-rigged gear, the reliability of which could be considered suspect. They may or may not have functional night/low light/thermal optics.
  • The Wild Cards have five Traversers, two of which are doing little more than filling seats in the back of someone else's mech.

Currently, if we go with the 'engage the Scavengers with everyone still in the Veritechs' plan, it means Sherwood and I are going to basically sit back and wait until something specific happens to warrant us posting. In Palladium Robotech mecha, that could mean right after the last Scavenger mech falls over on fire or something catastrophic happens to one of the mechs we are riding in. In option a, we're functionally worthless. In option b, we're much the same, since our weapons are stored inside the mech's internal bays and we're going to be sitting ducks crawling out of a burning wreck.
Right now, we don't know exactly how many mecha we're facing, other than 'roughly six-eight', what state of functionality they are at (that Tomahawk might only have one functional weapon, after all), whether they have additional ground troops with anti-big stuff guns and how well organized they are. We don't know what state the Z's base is in and whether there's signs they're even there.

This points to the need to have scouts deployed to determine the lay of the land, the deployment and state of opposing forces, as well as the possibility of the Z's coming out to play.

If we get spotted, we'll be small, fast-moving targets that'll distract the Scavengers and reduce any potential fire at our allied mecha, who can start picking off the big threats. This could lead to a combined arms counterattack as the Veritechs eliminate enemy mecha and the ground troops gun down infantry or soft mechanical targets. Alternately, we could flank the Scavengers while their attention is split between the base and the ASC mecha and either enfilade them or infiltrate the base, search out the VHTs and either shoot our way out if they're still there or exfil if they aren't.

As a player, I want to be involved in the action, but if ordered Hercules will obviously stay sat in the back seat, humming 'The Army Passes'.

Captain Hesperus

Thanks for explaining all that, Captain. It makes a lot more sense than "I'm bored, let's go for a walk"!

Heya folks! Just have to tell you - I really enjoy watching you guys bounce ideas off of one another. I don't always get to know what's going through your heads so when it happens, it makes me feel good. Whether it's ridiculing General Steele (who so has it coming!) or laughing at a joke (again, General Steele) or sharing something that happened in-game, wondering about that last scene, etc. OOC chat, I think, is in large part the fuel that keeps Game Masters moving. It also tells your GM what's important to you, what you're paying attention to (and not, for both are important), and where you're enjoying yourselves. =)

So, yeah. Thanks for sharing your thoughts in Fat Gandalf's, friends! =)

*​

Things I feel I should comment on:

I can handle sitting tight in the back seat for a while.

As a player, I want to be involved in the action, but if ordered Hercules will obviously stay sat in the back seat, humming 'The Army Passes'.

Sherwood, Cap'n, as the person in charge of this adventure's creation, non-player performance, and maintenance, allow me to cheerfully come out and say - I did not design this adventure with you A.T.A.C. guys sitting in the backseat (nor do I think you're saying that. =) ). Your time behind the cadillacs is coming. =)

O.K. Concerning your battle plan, it sounds like people's preferences are...
...wiling to dismount and move in on foot while the Veritechs keep the scavengers occupied.

Get out, split up, and rock.

We have three soldiers with heavy weapons and jump packs ready to move in. They can cross the distance to the "hidden base" quickly and under less scrutiny than the three Veritechs. If there is no base there, they can always be pulled out.

This points to the need to have scouts deployed to determine the lay of the land, the deployment and state of opposing forces, as well as the possibility of the Z's coming out to play.

...so I don't see a good reason to leave the Valkyries behind if we can just get to it safely. And by "safely," I mean all six of us, in or out of the Valkyries...

Don't get out or split up unless we find that's our only option. But yes, rock, one way or another. =)

Have I got this right?

For those interested, Shirley's preference is to "stay together, find another entrance, use the Scavenger/Red Zen conflict as confusion. If a second entrance cannot be found, let the two forces kill each other off and rock the winner."

Booty's preference is "get out, back on the ground, then rock. The sooner the better."

While (and this is just here for the giggles) MechaKitten's preference is to "explore all da moar, get inna base, get de mechies, shoot stuff up, rock, grab all da feeesh we kins find, an' get out. BEST PLAN EVAR!!"

That'sa Lotta Rockin'!! =)

*​

Shirley is largely willing to go with the player plan because she's open-minded, curious how to see how A.T.A.C. gets things done, and as a new leader, she generally wants to act on the consensus of the team (unless the plan proposed is absolutely dead-end or suicidal, then she'll step in like any good leader ought to). So, if the consensus says "Get out, split up, and rock," then Shirley's last question still applies:

"Tankers? Looks like we can make it to the edge of Milton with cover. There's not much mech-sized cover after that. How far from the big glowy sign do you want to be dropped off?"

In the meantime, enough time has passed for me to post in-game again. The Wild Cards aren't the only ones wanting to get things done, you know. =)

Sounds like a working plan to me, Oh Glorious Storyteller! Bring on the xp's!

-Sherwood. As always, the xps and the other goodies are yours for the taking. You have but to get out there and get them. =)

-Psychie. Agreed, I still need answers to Shirley's questions before I move, though. *looks to you guys* =)

Hooray for our Cap'n! Over 10,000 posts?! That'sa Lotta Salt! =)

Will post sometime tomorrow. Hope life is treating you well, folks! =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back