• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fat Gandalf's Bar & Lounge (OOC Chat) - Chapter Six

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for saying so in OOC. I normally don't check those spoilers you guys use for your abilities.
I shall keep this in mind, and may or may not use this as an excuse to be lazy and post abilities and stats a minimal number of times. :)

Call me what you want, just so long as it's not late for dinner.

Initiative order (Beginning of Action #3, Round 1 - Outpost #5 is 7,500 feet away)
Outpost #5: 15 (4 AA guns [Guns 1 & 2 on 3rd Action, Guns 3 & 4 on 2nd Action])
Outpost #5: 15 [3] (Surface-to-Air Missile Launcher - lightly damaged)
Cera: 14 [3] (Stealth Logan - Guardian mode, Mario's wingman - Readied action to protect Mario)
Elinor: 13 [3] (Super Valkyrie - Jet mode with Trouble/MechaKitten, 49/56 SRMs remaining)
Mack: 9 [2] (Super Valkyrie - Jet mode, Elinor's wingman - Delayed action. "Fire on first drone that threatens Elinor")
Toph: 8 [2] (Ajax - Jet mode with Professor Stein)
Mario: 7 (Stealth Logan - Guardian mode)
Griffon Drones: 4 (#3-6, coming in straight at you, 1.5 miles away, at about 400 miles per hour and roughly 400 feet in altitude.)

Sherwood, I'm glad they're not calling Mario "KIA" right now. Whew! =)

Sherwood Sherwood Kaerri Kaerri Psychie Psychie Good news, Gang! D. Rex and I have been flying along in talks! Not only does he have a very good rough draft of who and what he wants to play, but at this rate, D. Rex will probably be joining the game in about a week (maybe less)!

I hear he's playing this guy who goes around demagnetizing "Missile Magnets" named Mario. Is that true, D.? Is that true?! Ha ha! =)

Hmmm. Lets see, we could go with Triple M (Missile Magnet Mario), Magnet, Target, et cetera.

I hear he's playing this guy who goes around demagnetizing "Missile Magnets" named Mario. Is that true, D.? Is that true?! Ha ha! =)
Indeed! I figured the best way to demagnetize a magnet is to strike the magnet really really hard. So I'm going to try that approach first! If that doesn't work, I'll have to fall back on just being the bigger magnet. But I cant possibly see myself having rolls that bad.

Indeed! I figured the best way to demagnetize a magnet is to strike the magnet really really hard. So I'm going to try that approach first! If that doesn't work, I'll have to fall back on just being the bigger magnet. But I cant possibly see myself having rolls that bad.
Um, lets try and find another way to solve Mario's Missile Magnet-ness instead of hitting me.

Hey, I put Action Points in my games for a reason! Er, I mean, Toph's skills as a doctor are available for Mario if he needs them, yes?

I'm off for now. Take care and have fun, you silly people! =)

Alrighty, someone else just asked a couple of questions that are of interest for me as well, so thanks for that - and thanks for the invite here. Also: Don't die on us, Sherwood, we meant to join, not replace your presence here.

Let's bring the character concept to these realms as well, shall we? Think the hint that some combat capabilities should be useful is fair - I tend to begin by creating characters that are rather extreme in the direction where they're headed, and then cut it down until it fits the bill of the rp. So yeah, more things in that regard will be added. Just for the record, I'd like to go for a Traverser - think that was in question somewhere further up? I mean, it's a neat thing that happens to exist mostly here in this game - so I gotta take advantage of that, given the chance!
Note for secondary skills: Think I'd like to grab something like piloting aircraft - now that's not the high-tech equipment that'll be used in the game, but it's one of those hobbies that can actually be useful. You know, Sweden is relatively spread-out, with a few very remote locations to the north if I'm not mistaken. Places where you best get via small planes, the kind one could learn to fly if one is interested in a little extra money during the semester breaks.

Now, that doesn't solve the military background thingie, of course. Just did a bit of research, not too much yet, though: The Swedish Defence University in Stockholm was founded in 2008 - now of course, stuff happened before that, but maybe it's reasonable to assume that something similar would be founded on the timeline we're on as well. I only briefly glanced over the several courses there, some have names like 'leadership' and 'military science' and might thus already be of high interest from an ability perspective. Great thing about the university: It's open to both military and civilians, so even if I'm not going for a character from the military, it'd be knowledge that i have access to. Now as I said earlier, I don't want to be that the main/or at least not the only focus of the character (Code name: Siri Idadotter); but if you believe in cooperation between universities within the same city, then it wouldn't be far-fetched to combine science like biology with a good amount of military background as well, especially when the topic of research is of interest to the military. Now that would mostly be theory, not practical experience on the battlefield, of course - that's where the boundaries of my general idea are, I believe - but it would make sure that I've got at least enough knowledge of the basics to not be a hindrance (or not too much of a hindrance). Plus, the contact with upcoming soldiers and officers is likely to get you into other activities that prepare you for the dangers ahead - think of martial arts, for example, that's something where it's potentially easy to say "hey, you wanna join us, give it a try?" and suddely you're involved. Speaking of MA: I actually have very little clue about those, I have to admit, while at least Dann is probably more on the other end of the spectrum: What would be the logical choice as an MA when the focus is on quickly getting some amount of self-defense and such together? I do believe that in my home country, Krav Maga is the choice these days, pretty much developed for exactly that purpose - so I might wish to pick something like that up, but I'd kindly ask for a hint if that's just not how things are.

Basic idea for now: Civilian from Stockholm, Sweden. Born shortly before the bombardments, but too young to have any memories of them. Father is soldier in space, mother is on Earth, raising her kid by herself. Maybe slightly motivated by that, we've first got the choice to follow a non-military path - biology at the University of Stockholm, with the long-term goal of studying the process of cloning, that thanks to the arrival of the Zentraedi and other, recent developments seems not as far away as earlier. After four years and building a solid foundation, a switch over to the Stockholm Defence university for her graduation project - turns out that the military likes to support research that might help them in the long run, mostly by paying money for relevant projects. Of course, you gotta make sure that all the rules are taken into consideration, so the graduation is delayed for the sake of picking up the required lectures etc from the Defence Uni. From there - probably some military research, spiced with the ethical questions that most researchers tend to run into at some point. After all, cloning isn't just Star Wars at that point: No, you can actually see what a cloned race looks like out there. Now I'm not quite sure how a character like that would get into space, but it'd be likely some kind of research project, I'd reckon. I mean, there's plenty of motivation for an individual to go to space, but very little to send just anyone to the stars. So there's gotta be a reason, unless Dannigan finds a way to pick me up on Earth directly - ideas are welcome. Feedback as well, lemme know your thoughts so I can push things in a better direction from here.

Character-wise: Reluctant towards the military as a whole, though there's obviously the need to fight the war that was brought to mankind. Something like "If we all fight, then there's nothing we actually fight for" could be a sentence she'd say. Free-minded, thoughtful, happy to talk for hours, but also someone who could grab a book and read for a day if given the time. Fascinated by the Zentraedi/Meltrandi, and by the Robotech Masters despite knowing nothing about them. Certainly a curious mind, with the urge to see and understand more. Now that's very brief, and says very little - might throw a few more thoughts out there a little later.

Oh, do you want these lengthly posts in here, or would you rather have them in the conversation? Figured I'd post it here so that Rex can have a look as well, but I can also just throw this kind of stuff into the conversation like before.

Last edited:
Today's mail included advertisement of a travel agency - of all the countries in the world, Sweden is the only one covered in greater detail. Coincidence? I think not. I burned the paper in the backyard, and shall henceforth consider only characters from the depths of the sea. Looking forward to tomorrow's issue.

Heya Sil! Thanks for joining us in Fat Gandalf's here. =)

Also: Don't die on us, Sherwood, we meant to join, not replace your presence here.

This made me chuckle. Indeed! =)

Let's bring the character concept to these realms as well, shall we? Think the hint that some combat capabilities should be useful is fair - I tend to begin by creating characters that are rather extreme in the direction where they're headed, and then cut it down until it fits the bill of the rp. So yeah, more things in that regard will be added. Just for the record, I'd like to go for a Traverser - think that was in question somewhere further up? I mean, it's a neat thing that happens to exist mostly here in this game - so I gotta take advantage of that, given the chance!

Absolutely! As Kaerri mentioned, being a Traverser is something all of the PCs share. As your Game Master, I'm here for the fun, fairness, and memories. =) How does all take place? By sharing. One big reason I wanted this conversation brought here into Fat Gandalf's is to share the concept of your character with others. I've learned in my time in the DM/GM/Storyteller/Referee chair that it's nice to have all of the players involved early on when it comes to new players joining and sharing budding concepts of their characters. This accomplishes a few things I like:
1. It welcomes the new person "to the table" as it were (instead of them just showing up and saying, "Here I am! Hope you like what I'm playing!").
2. It gives the players already in the game an idea of who and what is joining this safe haven of ours.
3. It provides everyone the chance at lending a hand and providing ideas to help the new PC better fit into the campaign. This can be especially good for long-lasting RPs like Broadsword and Sharseya. Plus that help at this early stage tends to get people a little closer and more comfortable with one another (and I really like that!).
4. When all is said and done, I think this approach tends to promote a "community" atmosphere where everyone has the chance to speak their minds, voice concerns, and otherwise come together. We are all here together for the same purpose to kill evil alien jerk-faces and save Earth to have a good time with like-minded people in an environment that's fun to do it in. To take our minds off of Real Life and gather in a place all our own. =)

So, in terms of mechanics, here's what I'm seeing so far for Sil.

Name: Siri Idadotter (very pretty-sounding name!)
1. Gender = Female
2. Role = Unknown, but science-based. Civilian.
3. Traverser? Yes.
4. Origin: Sweden
5. Educational background: College (Swedish Defence University in Stockholm)
6. Interests: Biology, alien culture, piloting aircraft, Krav Maga (or perhaps something similar).

Notes: Father serves "in space." Very likely a member of the UEEF like Toph's mom and therefore among "the best and brightest."

It's a good start. Here are some things to help flesh things out a bit. Broadsword is taking place down on Earth where the action currently is. I have no plans on taking the game to space, possibly ever. Saving Earth (at least at this stage) requires staying on Earth.

Reluctant towards the military as a whole, though there's obviously the need to fight the war that was brought to mankind. Something like "If we all fight, then there's nothing we actually fight for" could be a sentence she'd say.

The Army of Southern Cross is largely seen as humanity's only defense against another invasion so a great deal of people are pro-military. The general mindset out there is, "The Zentraedi (Malcontents) who destroyed 70% of the world are still here trying to kill us and their creators may arrive someday." I would think the answer to Siri's question would be simply, "The very survival of humanity." Now, this doesn't mean every human being should pick up a rifle (the klutzes of our world will probably happily give you reasons why! Ha ha!), the general consensus of those in First World countries under the UEG is everyone should do their part. I imagine the focus of the world in many parts is not just sitting selfishly and doing for oneself, but helping humanity as a whole. Of course, there are baronies and Mad Max-style "kingdoms" out there in the world's many badlands who are there to take what they can, preferably by force. Some of the big countries out there, I imagine, include exile as one of their punishments for crimes. So it becomes, "Either help humanity survive or die in the wastelands" for some places.

Switching gears here, my primary concern is this. Besides learning how to be a Traverser, why would Siri be hanging out with a military squadron like the Wild Cards on a starship from the future? More importantly, how much fun will it be for you, Sil, if your character is constantly riding in the backseat of someone's veritech or destroid or what-have-you? I remember one of your concerns with your Techno-Wizard Shaona was your character's role. Sure, you didn't need to be one of the heavy-hitters, but you (like everyone sitting around an RPG table) wants to be useful and have some place in the game where their character can shine. If the character is unwilling to fight (except for cases of self-defense), then I can imagine a lot of boredom on your end while the others fight. That's no good, right?

So, what's the solution? Is Siri's love of science and Earth strong enough for her to learn, as a Traverser, how to fight for Earth's safety in a giant machine she's never before been inside? That sort of thing to me takes a lot of guts, but it's better than having one of my players sitting in the backseat working on their next scientific argument if you know what I mean?

What do you think, Sil?

Gang? What are your thoughts on this?

I would personally advise you to have some mecha combat skills, just to help keep you up to speed with the rest of the group.

That'd certainly be a good idea mechanic-wise, what I'm missing is the right way to get my hands on it - think it might work better if I go against my first intuition and go for a military training and education, then pick up the interest in cloning/etc later down the line as side project of the military science, so to speak - I feel like the biology start gets much done character-wise, but leads a bit too far away from the military to turn towards that in an elegant way. That'd certainly lead towards a less reluctant character, which should work out well - now the question becomes if I can still find a way to get the philosophical thoughts that I had in mind for her in there without contradictions, but I think that should work out fine as well...

Just out of curiosity: Where exactly are we in the mecha development? Right now, Sherwood is sitting in a stealth logan, so I'd assume that's the newest technology - what would be the model before that? Basically, I'm searching for a mecha that might have been just in development while she was doing science stuff, giving her some chance to have been involved in some part of it - nothing essential, mind you, she's too young to come up with some amazing design, but some part that noone ever thinks about... and that's connected to biology as well? That's tough... I'll find something.

If I get that done, that should put me in a better position to answer both Dann's and Sherwood's concerns - as for Rex: Now that you wrote that, I can't possibly unsee it myself =) Might wish to change at least her mother's name to something that doesn't quite call for the same associations.

Oh! If you want a connection between cloning and machines. Look no further than the Zentraedi. Could shift the science to Zentraedi tech in general. With mecha engineering being a subsection of what you are looking for. Given the fit their entire bodies in a very tiny space. It would not be too unreasonable to explore how those two are related. Such as the size of machines and the way they fit in them, and that cloning could very well assist in such an endeavor. With them not inventing their own kind, it would not be far fetched that some genetic selectiveness or manipulation is done in that best fits soldiers into the pods, and other such attributes to make them better warriors in accordance with the tools they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back