• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fat Gandalf's Bar & Lounge (OOC Chat) - Chapter Six

Status
Not open for further replies.
Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus

I forgot to tag Cap'n and I forgot to mention - the Blue d20 rolled a Natural 19, a Critical Hit for Hercules (who studies Pankration)! The Enemy Motorcycle Rider #1 was hit for 200 Mega-damage! =)

Initiative order (Beginning of Action #1, Round 1 - Bandits are some 100 yards behind you. Everyone is going 70 mph through a construction zone!)
Toph: 20 (in Battloid mode and is slowing - fired and scored with a pistol shot on the first rider)
Hercules: 19 (blew Enemy Motorcycle Rider #1 to Kingdom Come!)
Enemy Motorcycle Rider #2 : 12 (attempting to ram Elinor)
Elinor: 9 (Dodged the bandit)
Mario: 6 (I rolled a d6 just to see what would have happened and it came up a 2; good on Sherwood for not wasting an Action Point!).

Oops >.> Good thing I'm in the back and no one else has to try to avoid that mess I just made!

Sherwood might be some time in replying. In another game, I have received word that he is suffering from a migraine; he'll post when able.

Well, I'm back. Head is still hurting a bit, but I'm feeling much better than I was. I'll try to get caught up quickly.

Glad you're feeling better!

Purr Purr , I want to go ahead and spend one of my Action Points to try and keep from ending up as street pizza as I go to grab the robot.

O.K.! Please subtract the Action Point. =)

Initiative order (Beginning of Action #2, Round 1 - Bandits are some 100 yards behind you. Everyone is going 70 mph through a construction zone!)
Toph: 20 (in Battloid mode and is slowing - fired and scored with a pistol shot on the first rider)
Hercules: 19 (blew Enemy Motorcycle Rider #1 to Kingdom Come!)
Enemy Motorcycle Rider #2 : 12 (attempted to ram Elinor.)
Elinor: 9 (Dodged the bandit.)
Mario: 6 (Snagged the Chessel roller-bot!).

Here's to hoping that the tires are a good weak spot to hit. Lets see if the rider can handle the bike at 70 mph without a tire!

Good idea. Assuming that the rider is human, even with a megasuit on, he'll get banged up pretty bad. And if it is a robot on the cycle, we'll deal with that issue when we come to it.

Psychie Psychie That is a Called Shot at -11 to strike (see Technopolis's Rifleman Cyclone M.D.C. section for details - the bike Toph's shooting at uses the same rules and you are all definitely traveling at high speed).

Still want to go for it?

Psychie Psychie That is a Called Shot at -11 to strike (see Technopolis's Rifleman Cyclone M.D.C. section for details - the bike Toph's shooting at uses the same rules and you are all definitely traveling at high speed).

Still want to go for it?
Yes, please. I have a high strike bonus that will still add to my roll even after the minus, and I'll even toss in an action point to hopefully take out the tire. I'll mark off the AP now.

Initiative order (Beginning of Action #2, Round 1 - Bandits are some 100 yards behind you. Everyone is going 70 mph through a construction zone!)
Toph: 20 (in Battloid mode and is slowing - fired at Rider #2's tire and missed)
Hercules: 19 (in Battloid mode and is slowing - blew Enemy Motorcycle Rider #1 to Kingdom Come!)
Enemy Motorcycle Rider #2 : 12 (attempted to ram Elinor.)

Toph: 20 (in Battloid mode and is slowing - fired at Rider #2's tire and missed)
Hercules: 19 (in Battloid mode and is slowing - threw Enemy Motorcycle Rider #2 off of his ride!)
Enemy Motorcycle Rider #2 : 12 (recovered and is running after the Wild Cards!)

I hope to post tomorrow sometime on D's and Sil's prologues. I like how they're going! =)

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus
Hercules diverted his attention from rider to bike and dug his toes into the road to slow himself further. He threw a hand out to catch the bike, then turned and hurled it bodily after the sprinting biker.

Shop Talk time. Normally, a maneuver like this would require something like Automatic Body Flip/Throw on the part of the character (as Hercules is attempting to both Dodge the oncoming bike and hurl it at driver in one action). I would also state that the character needs Incredible strength, but Hercules definitely has that covered! =)

Instead of telling you, "this is not possible; think of something else", I would like to experiment here.

What if we treated Action Points similarly to Wlllpower in the White Wolf system?

In this circumstance, I will request that you spend one Action Point, and use two actions - one for the Dodge, the other for the throw. You declare which of the two gets the bonus for the Action Point. If you agree, I'll make the rolls when I next have the dice in front of me.

What do you think of this idea, Cap'n? Gang?

I like the flavor of being able to dodge and still attack on a turn; our characters are intensely combat trained and should be capable of stuff like that. In my opinion, it should not require the use of an Action Point to do that. But if you decide to rule that way, I'll happily accept the decision, as it will benefit me in the future.

Personally, I'm not familiar with the White Wolf system - so it's hard to say from my perspective. What I see is: You may spend an action point to dodge and imemdiately counterattack, with a bonus on one of those rolls. There might be more to it, I don't know - I could read the post as 'you may gain automatic body flip/throw for one turn when using an action point' too, I believe.

In general, I rarely mind more options. I'm wary of things that mess with the action economy, though - so count me as slightly sceptical until I've heard a few more thougths on this.

In reading the IC post, it sounds like Herc is trying a body flip/throw maneuver on the bike, and is aiming at the runner. While I see that taking two actions (grab the bike/throw it at the rider) like a Power Punch, I am not sure that it should require an Action Point. That's just my thought on it right now.

Keep in mind that Hercules has neither Auomatic Dodge nor Automatic Body/Flip Throw. By standard Palladium Robotech rules, what he is attempting is not possible (disclaimer: if you think it is, please give me a book and a page number and I will happily look it up).

Plus Herc's not trying to throw a person at a motorcycle but a moving motorcycle that he's dodging at a moving person! All in the same action! I feel this is a Spider-Man move if there ever was one. Totally awesome in an Exalted game, but again, impossible as far as the rules are concerned in our version of Robotech.

Hence the Action Point. In White Wolf rules, the expenditure of a Willpower Point allowed a character to temporarily dig into a reserve inside of them that in some cases made the impossible possible. It also added just a little to their chances of success. But you had to be careful, lest you run out of Willpower points (recovery of willpower is an entirely different conversation).

I think if the characters could just spend extra actions per round whenever they pleased to attempt the impossible, then this game would turn into Marvel Superheroes rather quickly (something roughly similar to this happened in one of my Rifts games many years ago. Lesson learned).

=)

I plead guilty to playing far too many White Wolf games (mainly the aforementioned Exalted and many World of Darkness genres) to the point I may have dipped too deeply into that field. I'd be happy to burn Action points on any and all actions with or without bonuses if this could happen. I just see it as Herc being exceptionally fired up (he's probably going to pay for it further down the line, but that's gonna be another story).

Captain Hesperus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back