• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fat Gandalf's Bar & Lounge (OOC Chat) - Chapter Six

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okies. In-game post done, but I'm too tuckered to write moar tonight. I'll try again for Ricky's Prologue tomorrow (I know almost all of what I want to post next; all I have to do is write it). =)

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus
"Fight hard, Lieutenant Mac. You still need to give me my jacket back.", he said to this two distant specks in the sky.

You know? That's a darned good question! Where in the heck DID Herc's jacket wind up? *thinks* I think I'm comfortable saying it somehow wound up with Baby? That's where the rest of Mack's earthly belongings are and she'd want to keep it in great condition to return it to him. Does anyone remember me doing anything else with it?

Yaaay for not getting any Broadsword alerts since Tuesday. In case anyone was wondering why Elinor hadn't spoken up yet, because I certainly would have at least tried to react to everything that's happened since then otherwise. >.<

a random invitation to someone else's workshop showed up, didn't even know that's possible - and there's cool stuff within, thanks for sharing
You're welcome. ^33^ (OK, it's Dann's thread, but I'll take a smidge of credit for making it possible.) Thread collaboration does indeed work in the Private Workshop and there, it does just what you've seen it do -- allows you to read and respond to someone else's thread.

Just had to take a look how to do that, actually - pretty simple, but I never saw it before. Neat feature, I have to say, always thought you'd have to copy things over to another thread or a conversation. Not that I'd want anyone to see the mess in my workshop...

Status report: Didn't write stuff yet, but I think I'm slowly getting an idea where I want to go with my post.

A few questions! Purr Purr

1. What would the radar show, if it was still working? About the dogfights participants.

2. Would said radar have a ping on the logan?

3. That high up, oxygen would be rare ro burn. I think persistent normal flames cease around 10k feet. So shutting off the engine could snuff out the fires quite effectively, correct?

4. Would Ricky(and thus me) be aware of what limitations and challenges come from running a single engine? If so, what mechanical effects should I expect?

Also, I'm so glad cool whip still exists in this time.

1. What would the radar show, if it was still working? About the dogfights participants.

2. Would said radar have a ping on the logan?

3. That high up, oxygen would be rare ro burn. I think persistent normal flames cease around 10k feet. So shutting off the engine could snuff out the fires quite effectively, correct?

4. Would Ricky(and thus me) be aware of what limitations and challenges come from running a single engine? If so, what mechanical effects should I expect?

1. Show that Ricky is checking it and I'll be happy to write the results. =)

2. It should, but given the chaos in the air and the horrible condition Jezebel is in, Ricky might require a Sensory Equipment roll to pinpoint it.

3. If they were S.D.C. flames, yes. But if the fires are spreading enough to damage the rest of the aircraft, then those flames are Mega-damage in intensity. Shutting down the engine cuts power to it which might stop the cause of the fire, but Ricky could still expect smoke for some time unless he can figure out a way to put the flames out.

4. Yes. Being a test pilot in the mecha of his specialty, very few people know that aircraft better than people like Ricky. One mechanical effect Ricky can expect is this - there is one thing a multi-engine veritch must be able to do and that is - climb (increase the aircraft's altitude on one engine alone). It won't do it quickly and if Ricky gets into combat, consider him screwed. But... if Ricky works it right, he might be able to save the Jezebel from going into the huge body of water he is over (remember, he doesn't yet know where he is).

Other limitations include - overtaxing the remaining engine, wobbling flight (just expect nasty negatives to piloting roll percentages from here on out; we're talking -25% minimum), and the less weight he puts down on the damaged engine, the better. On the other hand, like nearly all other aircraft in the world, Ricky doesn't have to worry about fuel blowing up underneath him. Because a Valkyrie is protoculture-driven, Ricky is not flying a 15-ton bomb. Finally, being a test pilot, Ricky would know perhaps his best advantage in a Valkyrie - gliding might help him get down safely - because right now, that's probably his biggest priority - just get the bird down on the deck (or so his training tells him). =)

Silanon Silanon Before I forget to mention this again (GM iz distracted!), let me inform you that Ylva would know something important about the Logan ejection system - the two seats eject simultaneously, but they are separate seats and therefore fly off in separate directions. If Ylva or the baddie ejects, neither of you are stuck with each other's company. Just be sure to eject at a safe altitude... =)

Purr Purr
Smoke is better than fire, arguably so. Lowering the intensity if the fire should have it naturally peter out.

Otherwise there are really only two options that come to mind.

1. A great amount of water below. Water puts out fire.

2. Does the Valkyrie have an emergency fire suppression system for such occasions?

1. Yes. Enough immersion in water will eventually put out even a Mega-damage fire. Since you are dealing with a Mega-damage vehicle, chances are, there won't be much damage done to the Valkyrie by the water.

2. There is no mention of it in the books that I recall (but there's only so many details you can put in a RPG book), but if memory serves, there are such systems on high-tech aircraft of today. Ricky may therefore surmise that, by this point, either the fire extinguishers in the engines failed, were destroyed in the blast that took out the engine, or just plain ran out of retardant foam. In other words, they're useless now but they probably tried if they had the opportunity at all.

Whatever the case, the fire will go out eventually - the question is, how soon does Ricky want it out and is he willing to possibly lose the Logan over it while he gives Jezebel a dunking (assuming he is able to capture the Logan on radar. Just had an entertaining thought - isn't it a good thing it's a standard model Logan and not the Super Stealth Logans the Wild Cards have got?)?

(Heading to bed. Sleep well when it's your turn! Write more if you like; I'll see it when I'm next online.) =)

Purr Purr Thanks for the remarks - all of 'em (meant to say that last time, whoops). First sketch of a post is done, needs some work but I know where I'm headed. I think.

Blurry at first, like through Edda's glasses.

Who is Edda, please?

He didn't look over when the voice appeared. Would've expected her to speak, right? But he didn't. So he doesn't hear.

One nice thing about a Prologue is that you get to talk about roleplay styles. Please don't write as any other character except the one you created. As this writing stands (and do correct me if I'm wrong?), if I were just a random player reading this Prologue and didn't know any better, I'd say you were playing both characters. Please let me play mine? Perhaps he does hear her. Perhaps he's able to multi-task and possesses better-than-normal hearing. It's one thing if a PC writes, "<My character> didn't think <the NPC> heard him." That's a different statement than "your character didn't hear mine." =)

In other news, thanks for bringing up the song by Joe Smooth in Ylva's Quiz! Now there is an easygoing groovy beat! =)

Who is Edda, please?
I was going for 'random, short-sighted person she knows from Stockholm'. Had that in the initial post, seems like I failed to adjust this version accordingly.

One nice thing about a Prologue is that you get to talk about roleplay styles. Please don't write as any other character except the one you created. As this writing stands (and do correct me if I'm wrong?), if I were just a random player reading this Prologue and didn't know any better, I'd say you were playing both characters. Please let me play mine? Perhaps he does hear her. Perhaps he's able to multi-task and possesses better-than-normal hearing. It's one thing if a PC writes, "<My character> didn't think <the NPC> heard him." That's a different statement than "your character didn't hear mine." =)
Well, shit. This is not what I intended while writing; goofed up the formatting there, I think. Maybe not, though, that'd be bad - see the paragraph below? Lemme explain: Usually, I'm going for italic for thoughts, and usual writing for everything else. So now in this post, I kind of left italic for the flashback-like thingies, and was left with nothing else for thoughts. And then didn't make the adjustments for that change in style. The result is - not as clear as I'd hoped, so you're right that you can misread that big-time. Shouldn't be too hard to adjust that, like you showed; might be better with another way of formatting altogether, though, let me take a look.

The thought in the background is this: She hears a voice. That's unusual, to say the least. Question: Did the other dude hear the voice as well? If so, and assuming that he doesn't hear voices all the time, it'd be logical for him to look over - because there should be exactly two people in the Logan, and he shouldn't know her voice (apart from possible memory loss, I guess?). The way I read your post, he's been solely focused on the instruments, dogfight etc, and there's no sign for me that that changes. Maybe that's too much of an assumption, though? In that case, it's not formatting, but a real blunder right there, and in that case let me know - that'd be something that I need to be really fricking careful about, then.

Hope that makes my thoughts clear? Let me know if not, and I'll try again. Sorry, the post seemed fine when I checked it, probably because I had the previous iterations still in mind. Changes incoming.

I know an Edda, from a game I play. It's less her sight, more the contents of her bag that worry me...

Captain Hesperus

No worries, Sil! While I find your posts as Ylva to be cerebral, I do find them interesting in some of the same ways I find Shaona's thoughts in Sherwood's game to be fun to read.

When it comes to posts, especially my own, above all I'm looking for clarity and accuracy. I want to know exactly what the role-player, songwriter, poet, you-name-it, is trying to tell me.

Whether I agree with it or not is another conversation entirely. When I have serious trouble understanding a message (and this happens often enough with a brain like mine), sometimes I get confused and frustrated. And that's sometimes not on the writer; that's just me. =)

I know an Edda, from a game I play. It's less her sight, more the contents of her bag that worry me...

Captain Hesperus
If it's the one I'm thinking of, I'm especially concerned about what's in her head...

Yikes, indeed.

Got stuck in other stuff yesterday, but finished this round of adjustments just now; maybe take a look if it's a little clearer than the first version? Mostly changed the formatting, and a little word or sentence here and there where it felt necessary. Now I tried to deal with any hint of accidental npc control in there, let me know if that succeeded; can always adjust if not.

That's clearer - thanks, Sil! I think you succeeded. =)

Hey Dann, a quick question about the Cyclone MECT skill in your board. In some of the books, the skill is specialized for the different kinds of Cyclones, and in some cases, it seems to be more generic, covering multiple models. Which is it in your game? If I snag the MECT Cyclone, does it give me the combat bonuses for all the different models? Or will it only be for one specific kind of Cyclone?

Purr Purr

How much control do I have when it comes to regaining control of the falling Valkyrie?

Given falls and spins would be second nature to him, would I be able to right it in post? Or given the surrounding difficulties, would you like me to mention him trying to right it, and have the rolls speak the results?

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus How I have missed Hercules! He continues to possess a perspective that is both insightful and charmingly heartfelt! Thank you for rejoining us, dear Cap'n. =)

Sherwood Sherwood There are far too many models of Cyclones for me to ask you to all to spend one Skill each for them. I am not in front of my home computer right now, but I believe The Rifleman MECT bonuses would be the ones I'd like to use for all Cyclones. Let me look at it later tonight.

D. Rex D. Rex Yours is an excellent question, but the answer lies in precisely what you want Ricky to do. If you want him to...

1. ... find land to put Jezebel down upon safely or barring that, land safely on the water as Valkyries can float large, calm bodies of water (as seen in Macross the Movie). This Ricky can probably perform with only mild difficulty.

2. ... attempt to level off and fly normally. This will take some doing on both Ricky and Jezebel's part. This heavily-damaged bird of yours "wants" to land if you get my meaning.

3. ... attempt any sort of combat with whatever is destroying the Milo. This is highly unadvisable for reasons I'm sure you have already put together.

Since she still has her wings, the Jezebel can reasonably glide in a downward fashion, and with some effort on Ricky's part, he might be able to see what has happened with the Milo or if any of her crew might survive. However, if he has to do this, he had to decide very soon while he still has the opportunity.

As for rolling dice, I will let you know if I need something from you dice-wise. =)

Last edited:
Purr Purr

Gotcha! In that case, I'll post what he is trying to do and leave the results to your judgement.

He would be attempting number 2 soon enough. But he can definitely empathize with her wanting to land. He would want nothing more than doing that himself.

Though his goal is to try and find that Logan. It was his mission to recover the VIP, and the mission didnt end because he boarded the Milo. He can't in his right mind just leave her. Especially when five good pilots died to get her this far.

A dogfight is most certainly off the table. He may be dumb, but be isnt stupid.

Also! Does the (in flight jet autododge) numbers apply to the guardian mode? Given it flys and is mostly jet.

Sherwood Sherwood Yes, we'll be using the MECT bonuses found in Shadow Chronicles, page 104. From the best that I can gather, those are the bonuses used by the Rifleman model. =)

D. Rex D. Rex No. While the Guardian mode enjoys automatic dodge while airborne, the Jet ("fighter") mode has bonuses that belong only to that mode (I take it you're referring to that juicy +4 to auto-dodge while in fighter mode). The Battloid and Guardian modes get the +3 bonus mentioned in Macross Saga Sourcebook, Page 39. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back