• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fat Gandalf's Bar & Lounge (OOC Chat) - Chapter Six

Status
Not open for further replies.
Few questions!

Can one dive for cover as a defense action, like parry or dodge? Or must one already be in cover to get the bonus?

Will being in cover effect use dodge or parry stats?

Will being in cover offer any disadvantages? And can one fire from cover unimpeded?

Can one use a delay action while aiming at cover to wait and fire at the opponent once they peek their head out?

Good questions, but some of the answers are in my original post. =)

1. Yes, if someone dodged (physically moved their character, Cyclone, mecha, skateboard, etc.) and if the cover were close enough, I can imagine allowing characters to "Dodge into Cover."

2. Being in Cover does not affect Dodge, Parry, or Roll.

3. Not in Light Cover, but Medium, Heavy, and Total offer Strike penalties (see original post).

4. That's called "Preparing an Action" and this assumes the character does poke their head out. If you're inside a World War II-style bunker or the like, you're literally in Heavy Cover. But if a character pokes their head out outside that cover for any reason, a character with a Prepared Action might possibly get a Strike on them with either less to no penalties. It depends on the situation. =)

I have no problem with this. It makes sense that there will be a level of difficulty to trying to hit someone behind cover.

Will this affect Herc's ability to beat someone to death with a torture chair?

Captain Hesperus

Ha ha, Cap'n! 8D No, I don't think it will affect that ability one way or another! =)

Cover works for me. I like being able to avoid getting hit (at least sometimes) by ducking behind some hard cover.

Looks like a good addition to me - not overly complicated, and it gets the idea across, I think. Well, I mean we'll see that in-game, but it looks good to me.

One request: Could you give us an example for each cover type? Does it rely on the one who is shot at (like: does a mecha get less cover than someone on foot), or solely on the terrain in itself? Do shields of any form provide additional cover?

Edit: Does cover rely on the weapon that's used, apart from indirect fire? Some weapons might be better suited to penetrate cover, will that be a thing?

Last edited:
Good questions! Allow me to use numbers as examples? To keep it simple, it's all size-related (as in how much of a person's body or mech or whatever is in cover). Light cover, say 25%. Medium, 50%. Heavy, 75% and Total 100%. It does not rely on the terrain or the target but the sizes of target and cover in relation to one another. So, a mega-damage car might provide Total cover for a person ducking behind it, Medium cover for a Cyclone in Battloid mode, and no cover for a destroid. The car is also only good for cover as long as its own M.D.C. is intact.

So, someone shooting a typical car (300 S.D.C. or so) with a weapon that inflicts more than 3 M.D. will blow that car away while the rest of the damage either passes through the car (if the roll is below the Cover Rating) or it might hit the target behind it (with a roll above the Cover Rating - the target, if aware of the attack, would still get a Parry, Dodge, Roll to defend against the rest of the incoming damage). Plus, one can specifically target the cover itself to wear it down or destroy it.

Again, to keep things simple, shields do not provide cover (just additional protection in the form of M.D.C. and often Parry bonuses).

Yeah, all this is in the rough draft "let's see how well it works" stage. =)

Poor destroids... sounds like the most intuitive solution one could think of, though, which is good. It kind of reminds me of the old Warhammer 40k-rules for cover (think they changed them since then) - they were a little different, but it was something like "if more than 50% of the vehicle's surface is covered from the attacker's point of view, then you get a certain partial cover bonus". No idea how exactly that worked, never played myself, but it seemed quite logical to me back then. About as logical as this right now, only that we hopefully won't have lengthly discussions whether the cover protects 49% or 51% of the target because we have a gm who can just decide that for us.

I remember when WH40K had damage locations for vehicles and you couldn't hit locations that were in hard cover, but had to take a to-hit modifier if they were in soft cover.
Also, if M.D.C. car is unable to be cover for Destroid, pick the car up and use it as a shield.

Captain Hesperus

Poor destroids... sounds like the most intuitive solution one could think of, though, which is good. It kind of reminds me of the old Warhammer 40k-rules for cover (think they changed them since then) - they were a little different, but it was something like "if more than 50% of the vehicle's surface is covered from the attacker's point of view, then you get a certain partial cover bonus". No idea how exactly that worked, never played myself, but it seemed quite logical to me back then. About as logical as this right now, only that we hopefully won't have lengthly discussions whether the cover protects 49% or 51% of the target because we have a gm who can just decide that for us.
(bold mine)

Who will be happy to decide that for you! Jeez Louise, such discussions just make me roll my eyes... =)

Also, if M.D.C. car is unable to be cover for Destroid, pick the car up and use it as a shield.

I'd allow that! Or better yet, put the Destroid behind something it can use as better cover (like the hull of a starship or side of a M.D. outpost or what have you - cover comes in all sorts of sizes)! =)

This basically immediately leads to the question: How large is the Broadsword, and where would a Destroid conveniently try to grab it for completely unrelated purposes? It's from the future, so it might be the sturdiest material currently available on Earth...

Ha ha ha! The Destroid currently available to you (the Super Tomahawk) lacks hands so it's not grabbing on anywhere! Instead, it may be able to latch on using magnetic plates (as seen with Trouble and Spaceman Sam at various times in the game). =) As for the Broadsword's size, the base statistics are found in the Robotech: Shadow Chronicles book, but even three years ago, I had issues with those numbers. The Broadsword is a Garfish-class starship and said starships are capable of holding literally hundreds of Cyclones along with their pilots, plus a squadron of veritechs. Dig a little deeper online and you'll find that the Garfish came in multiple sizes and you're stuck with a conundrum - just how big is this thing, really?

Well, in my game, it's big enough in its current configuration to hold all of those aforementioned crew, Cyclones, mecha, and whatever else within reason. Is it going to be able to fly around with a dozen MAC II Monsters in it? Ah, no thanks. But at this stage, your characters know the Broadsword is one unique starship! My PCs who've been playing here for these 3+ years will likely remember - there are really good reasons the Zeki-Zentraedi and Ura-Meltrandi came back in time - they wanted the Broadsword for themselves! Both races are capable of micronization and if they had found it before the Wild Cards had gotten to it, this game would have gone a very different route! =)

In other news, I'm about 33% finished with the Broadsword NPC Gallery and I'm hoping to start up D. Rex's and Sil's prologues either tonight or tomorrow depending on how other elements in my life hold me from or free me to RP. =)

I remember a Garfish-class in Sherwood’s Robotech game. It barely handled a squadron of veritechs and a Female Power Armor, along with many Cyclones.
(Kinda miss Yoshi and his crew)

Captain Hesperus

=)

Heya Gang! Here are some things in Broadsword I hope to get done this (busy) week:

1. Post! =)

2. Begin Silanon's character's prologue.

3. Begin D. Rex's character's prologue. (25% of intro complete)

4. Introduce Cover Rating rules (or Cover 2.0 if you like the term).

5. Create a Conversation that at least briefly outlines some of Broadsword's NPCs (33% complete). =)

Sorry, I'll get something up tonight or tomorrow morning.

D. Rex D. Rex All right! Ricky's Prologue is up! Enjoy, Gang!

Sil? Yours is next (when I can get it written)! =)

Heya Gang! Here are some things in Broadsword I hope to get done this (busy) week:

1. Post! =)

2. Begin Silanon's character's prologue. (20% of intro complete)

3. Begin D. Rex's character's prologue. (100% of intro complete!)

4. Introduce Cover Rating rules (or Cover 2.0 if you like the term).

5. Create a Conversation that at least briefly outlines some of Broadsword's NPCs (33% complete). =)

Looking forward to it =)
Now more than ever, actually. Damn, I'm hyped. Slightly shocked, since a certain name showed up that I didn't expect in this prologue, but damn. This'll be awesome. You know that feeling when you've waited for the release of some game or film, and then you see the first trailer and think 'holy cow, this will be even better than I thought'? That's where I am right now. Like, this isn't even the prologue for Ylva, and things clearly went horribly wrong; but damn... do me a favor and survive this, Ricky, will ya? Sounds like there's a lot of stuff to talk about...

Looking forward to it =)
Now more than ever, actually. Damn, I'm hyped. Slightly shocked, since a certain name showed up that I didn't expect in this prologue, but damn. This'll be awesome. You know that feeling when you've waited for the release of some game or film, and then you see the first trailer and think 'holy cow, this will be even better than I thought'? That's where I am right now. Like, this isn't even the prologue for Ylva, and things clearly went horribly wrong; but damn... do me a favor and survive this, Ricky, will ya? Sounds like there's a lot of stuff to talk about...
Very awesome start. And definitely not who I thought it would be! And cant wait to read yours and see how it ties in!

And dont worry about Ricky! He'll make it through. And he isnt about to let her get away, not if he can help it.

Especially now that some jackshit cockney made it personal.

Ha ha! Thanks, Sil and D.! Your words make me feel great!

There is something that I just realized I don't think I've brought up yet - it is virtually impossible for your characters to die during one of my prologues. Yes, I know Ricky's scene might not seem that way (Hah!), but the prologues are meant as a safe zone to introduce the character into the game.

The prologues also serve as another purpose for me; it's an introductory time between just me and that player. The player gets to figure out firsthand what kind of GM that I am will I get to see what kind of PC they are. Any differences in roleplaying style between us can be worked out right there and then (like "god modding" or the PC wondering if the GM is really going to kill his character so soon! Hah!).

Once the prologue is finished, the character is then "fair game" if you will. But while you're in the prologue, the only way something absolutely terrible happens to your character is if you want it to happen. Say, for example, you suddenly discovered an old character concept that you think would be perfect for the game and you wanted to take this character out. I could then make the changes in the prologue instead of in the game itself.

So yeah - please don't sweat about your characters dying in the prologues! Ha ha! Right, Gang? =)

Same - whenever I'm starting a new character, it feels like I need a couple of posts to really find the right mindset for them; the prologue should really help with that before the group action starts. You know, you can type down all you want in the private workshop, but it's usually the questions you didn't think about that tell you more about a character.

Upon reflection, I'm very grateful you cant die in the prologue. Considering my Valkyrie is in bad shape. Unless otherwise adjusted, it has half a cockpit, one engine, no flares, and every square foot has some degree of laser scoring and shrapnel damage.

And will somehow be kept alive in whichever stupid thing Ricky decides to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back