• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fat Gandalf's Bar & Lounge (OOC Chat) - Chapter Six

Status
Not open for further replies.
Short question: On which side is the door where we entered? From my understanding, it should be on Ylva's side, but I'd like to confirm that before making any moves. Not that I'm planning to leave someone behind or something, just considering different options.

D. Rex D. Rex What's your current take on the situation? I feel like these ladies might shrug off too much damage for us to handle them, unless we find a appropriate weapon and/or manage to improvise in a way that escaped my mind thus far. Thanks to Ricky taking both hits, I'm in position to do something to change the odds in our favor. I can go for another hit if we think we can win. I can try to initiate an escape if that's the play. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing more of that underground base, but trying to take the closed door to wherever it leads seems like a huge gamble. Other options to explore would be the tables or the lockers, but that'd mean taking a break while one of us gets beaten up, which sounds like a bad plan in itself. Thoughts? I'm going first between the two of us, so whatever we do, I should probably start it.

Short question: On which side is the door where we entered? From my understanding, it should be on Ylva's side, but I'd like to confirm that before making any moves. Not that I'm planning to leave someone behind or something, just considering different options.

D. Rex D. Rex What's your current take on the situation? I feel like these ladies might shrug off too much damage for us to handle them, unless we find a appropriate weapon and/or manage to improvise in a way that escaped my mind thus far. Thanks to Ricky taking both hits, I'm in position to do something to change the odds in our favor. I can go for another hit if we think we can win. I can try to initiate an escape if that's the play. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing more of that underground base, but trying to take the closed door to wherever it leads seems like a huge gamble. Other options to explore would be the tables or the lockers, but that'd mean taking a break while one of us gets beaten up, which sounds like a bad plan in itself. Thoughts? I'm going first between the two of us, so whatever we do, I should probably start it.

Well, Ricky is definitely convinced these two girls are some sort of robots. Something he will point out next turn.

His next turn will be taking stock of the location they are in to see what, if anything, he might be able to use against them.

That and asking them if they would consider a draw.

I think we can win it with a bit of ingenuity. But wailing on them will put us at a major disadvantage given our squishyness. After all, Ricky has delivered some very solid hits, that with the auto stun/knockout would have already given at last a flinch to normally tough customers.

Short question: On which side is the door where we entered? From my understanding, it should be on Ylva's side, but I'd like to confirm that before making any moves.

You are correct on Ylva's position. But they entered through a doorway, hence Ricky's tumbling all the way down the ramp and into the locker room.
(Poor Ricky!) =) Peek in the spoiler below for the description of the locker room in Sil's prologue (so that we are all on the same page). The door you may be thinking of, Sil, is opposite the doorway she entered through on the other side of the room. The door seems to be made of light S.D.C. metal and would be a pain to break down without proper tools.

Ylva found herself in a locker room of sorts. There were about twenty gray lockers in four rows all numbered and made of hard aluminum. There were a series of six tables that were attached to one wall. The tables seemed to be able to retract into the wall perhaps to deliver any contents to another room. The locker area, like the slope leading here, were pristine with tile floors so clean you could eat off of the floor. But, Ylva noticed, there were no mirrors, no showers, not even restrooms here. The entire room spanned about 40 feet long by 30 feet wide with a 15 foot high ceiling. The door Ylva spied seemed to be the only other way out.

@D. Rex What's your current take on the situation?

Well, Ricky is definitely convinced these two girls are some sort of robots. Something he will point out next turn.

I love it, love it, love it when players put their heads together and talk tactics! I never get tired of this element of role-playing! Go, D. and Sil! =)

His next turn will be taking stock of the location they are in to see what, if anything, he might be able to use against them.

If you will allow me? From what Ricky has seen in his short time in this room, there are no random items lying about for anyone in this melee to take advantage of.

After all, Ricky has delivered some very solid hits, that with the auto stun/knockout would have already given at last a flinch to normally tough customers.

O.K.. We haven't covered this (in fact, there is a lot we have not covered, but I don't want to flood you guys with information but answer as it comes up). "Auto stun/knockouts" is a confusing subject in Palladium. Here is how I work mine:

1. Boxing is the only Skill in my game that provides a Knockout on a natural roll that does not have to be declared! This means the Professional Boxer (that's Liana!) gets this ability naturally. Everyone else must state that they are specifically using Boxing for the chance at the Knockout. I know this is unfair, but Palladium can get complicated reaaaally fast and this is a simple rule that's worked for me.

2. When someone is on the receiving end of a Stun/K.O./Death Blow - good news! They (usually meaning you) get a Saving Throw! A Saving Throw vs. Pain with P.E. modifiers added in (if any) vs. Pain. Beat a 14 or higher and you're still conscious!

3. On top of this effect, damage is also done normally (big surprise; the Knockout Blow causes S.D.C. damage just like any normal punch)!

As we get more and more into our adventures, my Shop Talk thread will continue to stack up with rules and explanations for everyone's understanding. =) EDIT: This information has been added to Shop Talk. =)

You are correct on Ylva's position. But they entered through a doorway, hence Ricky's tumbling all the way down the ramp and into the locker room.
(Poor Ricky!) =) Peek in the spoiler below for the description of the locker room in Sil's prologue (so that we are all on the same page). The door you may be thinking of, Sil, is opposite the doorway she entered through on the other side of the room. The door seems to be made of light S.D.C. metal and would be a pain to break down without proper tools.

Ylva found herself in a locker room of sorts. There were about twenty gray lockers in four rows all numbered and made of hard aluminum. There were a series of six tables that were attached to one wall. The tables seemed to be able to retract into the wall perhaps to deliver any contents to another room. The locker area, like the slope leading here, were pristine with tile floors so clean you could eat off of the floor. But, Ylva noticed, there were no mirrors, no showers, not even restrooms here. The entire room spanned about 40 feet long by 30 feet wide with a 15 foot high ceiling. The door Ylva spied seemed to be the only other way out.

I love it, love it, love it when players put their heads together and talk tactics! I never get tired of this element of role-playing! Go, D. and Sil! =)

If you will allow me? From what Ricky has seen in his short time in this room, there are no random items lying about for anyone in this melee to take advantage of.

O.K.. We haven't covered this (in fact, there is a lot we have not covered, but I don't want to flood you guys with information but answer as it comes up). "Auto stun/knockouts" is a confusing subject in Palladium. Here is how I work mine:

1. Boxing is the only Skill in my game that provides a Knockout on a natural roll that does not have to be declared! This means the Professional Boxer (that's Liana!) gets this ability naturally. Everyone else must state that they are specifically using Boxing for the chance at the Knockout. I know this is unfair, but Palladium can get complicated reaaaally fast and this is a simple rule that's worked for me.

2. When someone is on the receiving end of a Stun/K.O./Death Blow - good news! They (usually meaning you) get a Saving Throw! A Saving Throw vs. Pain with P.E. modifiers added in (if any) vs. Pain. Beat a 14 or higher and you're still conscious!

3. On top of this effect, damage is also done normally (big surprise; the Knockout Blow causes S.D.C. damage just like any normal punch)!

As we get more and more into our adventures, my Shop Talk thread will continue to stack up with rules and explanations for everyone's understanding. =) EDIT: This information has been added to Shop Talk. =)

Would be looking for something a little more creative. Such as an electrical box to forcefully insert somebodies head into.

And I do love me some tactics talk! Especially when it's a game that rewards it. Though in advance I must ask where you draw the line in it being considered working together OOC as metagaming?

And if I need to declare an attack being a auto ko/stun/death... and there is no consequence for not landing a critical when those are performed... is there a button in the options menu where one can declare intent on using that through the fight?

Would be looking for something a little more creative. Such as an electrical box to forcefully insert somebodies head into.

Ha ha! Good thinking, but Ricky does not see one. =)

And I do love me some tactics talk! Especially when it's a game that rewards it. Though in advance I must ask where you draw the line in it being considered working together OOC as metagaming?

I draw a firm, thick, and immediate line when a Character (PC or NPC) calls upon information they could not possibly know. Communication is key. =)

Player A and Player B have a bad guy between them during a hand to hand fight. In OOC, Player A says to Player B, "Hey, I'm going to tell your Character to duck! When he does, mine is going to kick the baddie that's between us so that he'll fall over your Character and hit the ground!" As the GM, I am perfectly fine with this as long as that information is shared in-game between the characters.

How do this right - Player A, knowing that both his Character and Player B's know Sign Language, has his Sign to Player B's character, "Duck!" Player B's Character ducks. Player A's throws the kick and the decide. Great!

When I draw the line - Player A's Character throws the kick without communicating to Player B's character. If Player B ducks, I stop it then and there and ask, "How does Player B's Character know to duck? That wasn't communicated."

And if I need to declare an attack being a auto ko/stun/death... and there is no consequence for not landing a critical when those are performed... is there a button in the options menu where one can declare intent on using that through the fight?

Yes. If you are going for the "Natural 20 Automatic Knockout," you declare your Character is using his Boxing Skill until further notice. This tells me, "Ricky is now resorting to Boxing more and Kung Fu less." His combat statistics and techniques don't change; what changes is how he is using them. No kicks or grappling from Ricky (besides possibly the Boxer's Clinch). Ricky is only trying get that one sweet blow that will end the fight while continuing to defend himself (with the Automatic Dodge provided by his Drunken Style Kung Fu). If he doesn't roll that Natural 20, but still succeeds on the Strike, he does Punch damage. =)

For further details, see my post in Shop Talk.

It takes all of her willpower not to break into tears at the sound of her father's voice coming from the speaker.

Psychie Psychie At your convenience, I need for Toph to make a Saving Throw based on her Mental Endurance. As usual, I will roll my white d20 unless you specify otherwise. Do you want to add an Action Point?

Ha ha! Good thinking, but Ricky does not see one. =)

I draw a firm, thick, and immediate line when a Character (PC or NPC) calls upon information they could not possibly know. Communication is key. =)

Player A and Player B have a bad guy between them during a hand to hand fight. In OOC, Player A says to Player B, "Hey, I'm going to tell your Character to duck! When he does, mine is going to kick the baddie that's between us so that he'll fall over your Character and hit the ground!" As the GM, I am perfectly fine with this as long as that information is shared in-game between the characters.

How do this right - Player A, knowing that both his Character and Player B's know Sign Language, has his Sign to Player B's character, "Duck!" Player B's Character ducks. Player A's throws the kick and the decide. Great!

When I draw the line - Player A's Character throws the kick without communicating to Player B's character. If Player B ducks, I stop it then and there and ask, "How does Player B's Character know to duck? That wasn't communicated."

Yes. If you are going for the "Natural 20 Automatic Knockout," you declare your Character is using his Boxing Skill until further notice. This tells me, "Ricky is now resorting to Boxing more and Kung Fu less." His combat statistics and techniques don't change; what changes is how he is using them. No kicks or grappling from Ricky (besides possibly the Boxer's Clinch). Ricky is only trying get that one sweet blow that will end the fight while continuing to defend himself (with the Automatic Dodge provided by his Drunken Style Kung Fu). If he doesn't roll that Natural 20, but still succeeds on the Strike, he does Punch damage. =)

For further details, see my post in Shop Talk.
Lol well, it is called Drunken Boxing sometimes.

There are no bonuses to ME for Toph, so its just a straight die roll. I'll go ahead and add in the Action Point and mark it off of my sheet.

Lol well, it is called Drunken Boxing sometimes.

Yeah. It is (along with Wing Chun a.k.a. Chinese Boxing, Muay Thai a.k.a. Thai Boxing, etc. but that's not the way Palladium sees it unfortunately).

There are no bonuses to ME for Toph, so its just a straight die roll. I'll go ahead and add in the Action Point and mark it off of my sheet.

Okies! =)

Psychie Psychie My white d20 rolled a 15. My d6s came up with 5 and 6 (choose the higher of the two given Toph's experience level) for a 21! Toph keeps her composure! =)

Heya Gang!

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Kaerri Kaerri Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood D. Rex D. Rex Silanon Silanon

I have updated Shop Talk with House Rule: Combat (hand to hand) - Combat Ranges and how they work. Want to know how they work and what to do when your Character is in a Combat Range they want to be in? How about one they don't want to be in?

I've also updated Shop Talk with House Rule: Combat (hand to hand) - Any character, regardless of training, can attempt a Stun, Knockout or Death Blow. Also, how "automatic" Stuns, Knockouts, and Death Blows work in Robotech: Broadsword. =)

Give them a look if you would like to have a little brain food. As always, questions and comments are welcome. =)

I actually meant the doorway, so we're indeed of the same page - just didn't think about making the distinction. Thanks for pointing that out, and for the confirmation! Reading through the shop talk right now, seems pretty intuitive thus far. Got a few other things planned today, I'll see how much closer to a post I can get.

Heya, short update - stuff cropped up yesterday and today, so I haven't found the right moment to get a post up yet. Just thought I'd let you know, in case you're wondering why nothing showed up thus far - I'm on it, hopefully tomorrow.

Hey! Somebody in the Wild Cards get a post in game going, please! The sooner we get the story moving, the sooner you guys meet Sil and D. Rex's characters!

Oh, and in case it's not clear, Professor Stein's reply to Toph's message was heard by everyone in his nexus.

Dannigan Dannigan I just reread the newly added stuff in the shop talk, and your answer to Rex above - and I feel like I'm still not getting the point of the knockout/stun/etc. thing. I get the "everyone can attempt it"-part, kind of, thematically speaking - no worries there. I believe my problem is close to the question Rex had instead, maybe the same; but maybe not. Either way, I'm not quite sure how this is supposed to work. Would be great if you could try to enlighten me.

1. Boxing is the only Skill in my game that provides a Knockout on a natural roll that does not have to be declared!
The way I read this part, it is possible to use other techniques for the same effect as long as you declare it.

Question 1: Is this read correct? As an example, can I declare that I wish to knock someone out with a well-placed kick to the temple, or does it have to be a fist that hits the target?

Everyone else must state that they are specifically using Boxing for the chance at the Knockout.
Alrighty - boxing gives the automatic chance at a knockout if I'm not mistaken. I think I get that. Hopefully. But...
Question 1b: Is this only meant as a note for the automatic knockout, or for knockouts in general? Pretty much the same question as above, I think...

Now in case that only boxing can cause knockout at all (see 1 and 1b), this isn't a problem. In case that there is another way to declare a knockout attempt, other than boxing, there is a follow-up question, however:

Question 2: Assuming that I'm aiming at a body part that allows for a potential knockout (the head, for example) - is there any reason why I would not wish to declare that attack as a knockout attempt?

An example: The situation we're in right now. From what I've read, I believe that Ylva has not noticed enough differences from normal humans to attempt to do much else than continue the fight. Ricky managed to figure out more stuff because he didn't just trip people 24/7. He also just managed to buy me a some space, so I wanna use it. Savate kicks are pretty good, so I wish to use 'em. Given that our foes are tough, I don't want to slowly wear them down, but land a powerful kick that might end things more quickly. So what do I do?

Do I just declare a called shot against someone's head region? Do I declare a knockout attempt? Do I forget about this whole kick thing and punch them instead because that's the only way to get a chance at a knockout/deathblow/whatever? I really don't know, at this point. I'm confused. If anyone else got it already, feel free to let me know. I'm a bit lost here...

Hey Sil! Thanks for your interest! Let me shine a little more light here.

Basically, in hand to hand combat, using strikes, there are two ways to knock out an opponent:

1. Declare that you are attempting a Called Shot to the head to knock an opponent out. Declare which technique from your Martial Arts system in you are using. Roll whatever natural number is provided by your Martial Arts system (for some systems it could be a Natural 18, 19, or 20). A Called Shot typically comes with a penalty to Strike somewhere around -3.

2. Declare that you are using only your Boxing skills to knock the opponent out using punches only. Roll a Natural 20 on the die. No Called Shot is necessary.

In either case, if the Strike is successful, the character rolls damage normally and the opponent must make a Saving Throw versus pain. A failure means they are knocked unconscious (typically for 1d6 minutes).

Understand that declaring a Stun, Knockout, or use Death Blow attempt on an opponent is basically a long shot maneuver and you're hoping the dice roll in your favor. Some people use this to show off, other people as an act of desperation.

Now to answer your specific questions:

Question 1: Is this read correct? As an example, can I declare that I wish to knock someone out with a well-placed kick to the temple, or does it have to be a fist that hits the target?

You can declare a Knockout with any technique you want but you only get bonuses with attacks that your character is trained in. If using Boxing, The Knockout attempt must be done with a punch.

Question 1b: Is this only meant as a note for the automatic knockout, or for knockouts in general? Pretty much the same question as above, I think...

Yes.

Question 2: Assuming that I'm aiming at a body part that allows for a potential knockout (the head, for example) - is there any reason why I would not wish to declare that attack as a knockout attempt?

Oh, I can think of lots! Here's a few. You're sparring and you don't want to do more than stun your sparring buddy. You're in a life-or-death situation against multiple opponents and you feel you have to kill them now. You don't want the penalty to the Called Shot. Your character doesn't know Boxing. You're attempting to defeat and interrogate a bad guy and you don't have time for him to wake up after being knocked unconscious for minutes.

I'll try to remember to add this to Shop Talk later. Good questions, Sil! Do you or anyone else have any others? =)

Oh, and as a side note, you can definitely knock someone out with Grappling too. That's called being choked out (Hercules, Cap'n's knows all about that!) Hee hee hee. =)

Alrighty - now things make sense, thanks for the explanation. With any luck, I'll be able to apply this stuff a little later today.

For "Double or Nothing" Ylva and Ricky's prologue! =)

Initiative order - Round 1, Action 4.
Liana - 21 (Throwing a right cross to Ylva's midsection.)
Leona - 20 (Sidekick to Ylva's front.)
Ylva - 10 (Just delivered the Headkick from Hell to Leona!! That move is now copyrighted under Ylva "Don't Mess With My Hair" Sveadotter! =) )
Ricky - 1 - Body blocked Leona breaking her clinch on Ylva. (Now facing Liana in Striking Range.)

After Ylva declares her defense, it will be Ricky's 4th Action of the Round.

Dannigan Dannigan

Would it be possible for me to use my action to defend other on Ylva?

Would trying to convince them to stand down be cost a melee action, and would robots even be effected by such persuasions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back