• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fat Gandalf's Bar & Lounge (OOC Chat) - Chapter Six

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say it depends - which doesn't really answer the question, does it? From my personal imagination right now, it'd be hard to either get an elbow low enough or a leg high enough to parry a kick once she is grabbed - that's why I went with roll with impact initially. If you, as someone who understands more of MA's than I do, think it's a reasonable thing to do, then I'd go for the second automatic parry. If not, I'll go for the 'grit the teeth and hope for the best' variant and roll with the impact.

On the other side of the secret door, another panel peeked out. This one was simple. Though labelled in Spanish, it was also color-coded. It appeared to operate the secret door from the inside.
Having opened the door from the other side, can Elinor tell how to open (and close) it from this side? Or will that be another roll?

Related to the question above -- can I say Elinor has a Sharpie or other permanent marker? ^;3^

Mario does have his penknife. That might work for what it is you are trying to do.

From my personal imagination right now, it'd be hard to either get an elbow low enough or a leg high enough to parry a kick once she is grabbed - that's why I went with roll with impact initially.

Silanon Silanon Oh, this one's easy. It's possible to do it one-handed too. You cancounter, if you say, block the knee with the opposite arm and then as they replant that let, go for the hip or groin with your other hand.

"Krav Maga Techniques - How to defend a knee strike"

* * *​

Having opened the door from the other side, can Elinor tell how to open (and close) it from this side? Or will that be another roll?

Related to the question above -- can I say Elinor has a Sharpie or other permanent marker? ^;3^

If she spoke Spanish, it would be a no-brainer. As it is, she has two buttons on that panel. One labeled, " " and the other labeled, "Salida." If nothing else, there's a 50/50% chance.

No marker unless you have it written on your Character Sheet.

Mario does have his penknife. That might work for what it is you are trying to do.

Now there's a handy something that's on someone's Character Sheet. =)

Oh, this one's easy. It's possible to do it one-handed too. You cancounter, if you say, block the knee with the opposite arm and then as they replant that let, go for the hip or groin with your other hand.
Thanks for the vid - found something similar myself, but never hurts to see moar. What I'm worried about is not the defense technique itself, but the question whether or not one can get the arms in position in time to use it properly after trying to defend against the grab first. See, I'd be inclined to use both arms to deflect the attempt to grab the hair - so they're up there for a moment, at least. If the attack is one fluid motion, then the kick would follow in very quick succession, right? So I'm not sure if there's time to get an arm down there quickly enough to avoid the kick.

One thing I saw in Muay Thai is that you can theoretically defend with a knee strike on your own - basically hit the inner side of their leg, thus sending it off course. That would avoid the "arms are up"-problem, but I'm not sure if it'd be a good idea to risk your own balance by lifting your leg while being grabbed.

Silanon Silanon

I feel a lot of that is situational. A lot of physics is taking place when you're grappling with an opponent. When training, one can take into account an opponent's height, build, weight, experience, momentum, and drive (just to name a few elements). But when you're using it, you don't have a lot of time to think. I think most people in fights react according to their training (or lack of).

As far as Palladium games is concerned, your character is allowed to Parry both attacks. If you choose to Roll instead, Ylva will take damage either way. Plus Savate does not have Automatic Roll which means you're also taking up an action. I think that's unnecessary, but it's your call.

See, exactly that situational part is the one I've actually basically no clue about - which is slightly unfortunate, because the parts I've seen thus far are damn interesting. I'm actually learning surprisingly many things about self-defense by accident over here...

Anyways, let me not delay further and go with two auto-parries - trusting that the Savate training is good enough to deal with a kick, no matter the circumstances. If it's possible, I prefer a leg defense, but that very much depends on how exactly the attack happens - if it happens in the first place.

That's very possible. Automatic Parries can be done with arms or legs. =)

O.K., Gang. My head is wobbly and I'm not thinking quite right, but I've been meaning to put this post up in Broadsword (main story) for a few days now and I think the best thing for me right now is the distraction from the discomfort in my head.

So if I write something odd, I apologize in advance. Just point out anything that doesn't make sense and I'll edit it. =)

Honor and fun,
Dann =)

Kaerri Kaerri If Elinor is taking the coffee, please write it down on her character sheet.

For "Double or Nothing"! =)

Initiative order - Round 1, Action 3.
Liana - 21 (Punched Ricky in the mouth.)
Leona - 20 (Grabbed Ylva for a Combination Grab/Kick but missed the kick. In Infighting distance with Ylva.)
Ylva - 10 (In Leona's Clinch. Now facing Leona in Infighting Range.)
Ricky - 1 - (Now facing Liana in Striking Range.)

For "Double or Nothing" Ylva and Ricky's prologue! =)

Initiative order - Round 1, Action 3.
Liana - 21 (Punched Ricky in the mouth.)
Leona - 20 (Grabbed Ylva for a Combination Grab/Kick but missed the kick. In Infighting distance with Ylva.)
Ylva - 10 (In Leona's Clinch. Now facing Leona in Infighting Range.)
Ricky - 1 - (Now facing Liana in Striking Range.)

Psychie Psychie Psychie-lady! You have anything for Toph you want to post about (especially concerning the Wild Cards's latest discovery)? Everyone's posted but you, but for all I know, Real Life is in the way of your posting or something.

D. Rex D. Rex Sorry for the delay. I have been delayed for a number of reasons. Concerning Ricky's attempt at Body Block/Tackle, I've been meaning to ask - is Ricky attempting to knock Leona off/away from Ylva (perhaps like a hockey player's hip check) or is he attempting to tackle her like an American Football linebacker or what? I need to know if Ricky is staying upright (which will leave Leona upright too) or if he is attempting to take her to the ground (both of you will be prone with -4 penalties to most of your rolls). Also, if Ricky is attempting to Tackle, the Combat Range between them changes (from Striking to Grappling + prone).

D. Rex D. Rex Sorry for the delay. I have been delayed for a number of reasons. Concerning Ricky's attempt at Body Block/Tackle, I've been meaning to ask - is Ricky attempting to knock Leona off/away from Ylva (perhaps like a hockey player's hip check) or is he attempting to tackle her like an American Football linebacker or what? I need to know if Ricky is staying upright (which will leave Leona upright too) or if he is attempting to take her to the ground (both of you will be prone with -4 penalties to most of your rolls). Also, if Ricky is attempting to Tackle, the Combat Range between them changes (from Striking to Grappling + prone).
To knock her off

For "Double or Nothing" Ylva and Ricky's prologue! =)

Initiative order - Round 1, Action 4.
Liana - 21 (Throwing an uppercut to Ricky's back.)
Leona - 20 (Roundhouse against Ricky's front.)
Ylva - 10 (Now facing Leona in Striking Range.)
Ricky - 1 - Body blocked Leona breaking her clinch on Ylva. (Now facing Liana in Striking Range.)

After Ricky declares his defense, it will be Ylva's 4th Action of the Round.

Looks like ricky got his answer. Number of crits and not even a flinch.

Now then! Purr Purr

Couple questions.

1. How creative can I get with Drop Kick, (fall/dodge/kick)? Could it be translated as [dodge, falling to crouch/prown to avoid an attack],[ dodge again (with having multiple dodge already, whatever that means),] [leg sweep, substituting kick given it's a sweep attack]

2. What does Multiple dodge do?

3. If a dodge fails, can an automatic roll with punch be applied?

4. Can a 4 word quip be said during a defense?

D. Rex D. Rex
Couple questions.

What?! This is more than a couple of questions! What do you think I am? A Game Master or something?! Hee hee! =)

1. Good D., I cannot with any conscience recommend Drop Kick in this situation at all. You get no bonuses when you use it (not even to damage!). I would probably only use it like a Jump Kick if, say, trying to knock a jerk into oncoming traffic or into an open zoo kennel full of (insert your favorite dangerous animal here).

2. Multiple Dodge is used when more than one opponents are attacking from different directions. In standard Ninjas & Superspies, it would be the ideal defense in Ricky's current situation. However... I recommend he stick with Automatic Dodge because Multiple Dodge costs one of Ricky's Actions. Since we are nearing the end of the Round, you're going to want those. To keep things simple, like Circular Parry, I don't really use Multiple Dodge in my games.

3. No (with a please attached). This leads to waaay too much dice rolling even in tabletop games as every opponent who has Automatic Roll makes their attempt at half-damage. I suspect Play-by-Post games like ours, even simple combats might take longer as a month to resolve if we started doing that. There are enough situations out there where a character can be denied their parry or dodge and having Automatic Roll comes in extremely handy.

4. Depends on the length of the words. Just kidding. For a quick quip (say that three times fast), go ahead! I gotta let Ricky be Ricky! =)

Purr Purr Lol I have no idea why I rolled. Force of habit.

Forget you were rolling for me. Your call as to the results.

Should have trusted my crit loving teal die.

D. Rex D. Rex Consider the results nulled. You told me you wanted my teal d20 and, unless you like the RP Nation Dice Roller, you are welcome to continue to use any of my d20s!

D. Rex D. Rex Consider the results nulled. You told me you wanted my teal d20 and, unless you like the RP Nation Dice Roller, you are welcome to continue to use any of my d20s!
I'd prefer the Teal dice for the sake of consistency. Even if it likes seeing me get hit. Something about sticking with the odds and seeing where it takes me.

And I just like rolling dice in any form. Its fun.

I agree! Kaerri and I have some nice collections, but not as many as some gamers we've seen!

I agree! Kaerri and I have some nice collections, but not as many as some gamers we've seen!
Very few for me sadly. Never had the time or opportunity to tabletop in real life. The only ones I got where for counters in card games.

Really? I think you'd be good at it. You display a mature combination of fun-loving gregariousness nicely balanced by a no-nonsense approach to drama and jerks. I really like having you here! Unlike... unlike... well... nobody actually! I don't have time for jerks and that's why I choose to play with decent (preferably caring) people!

One only gets so much time in life; it's best to spend and share it wisely with an eye towards Good Times. =)

Which reminds me. No one has posted in there for a few months. Time to change that! =)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back