• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fat Gandalf's Bar & Lounge (OOC Chat) - Chapter Six

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the tag - I actually messed up and didn't watch the new thread, changed that just now. Should be able to get a post up today or tomorrow, I'll see how things work out!

For "Double or Nothing." =)

Initiative order - Round 1, Action 1.
Liana - 21 (Attempted uppercut was dodged.)
Leona - 20 (Attempted sidekick was blocked.)
Ylva - 10
Ricky - (Natural) 1

Initiative order - Round 1, Action 1.
Liana - 21 (Attempted uppercut was dodged.)
Leona - 20 (Attempted sidekick was blocked.) - now prone.
Ylva - 10 (Swept Leona.)
Ricky - 1 - now behind Liana.

I think this is a good moment to share some "Shop Talk" style thoughts on Hand-to-Hand combat in Broadsword for everyone's benefit. Kaerri Kaerri Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Sherwood Sherwood Psychie Psychie D. Rex D. Rex Silanon Silanon

D. Rex's post is full of action and entertainment (this is Jackie Chan stuff and I really enjoyed it!) and it brings up a few things I feel as GM I should point out for everyone's benefit in the long run. Feel free to comment (but no need to like and subscribe, or if you're a Borderlands 3 player, obey). =)

Ricky looked like he stumbled right through her. As if he tripped on his own feet and accidentally slipped past her.

1. This is an excellent description of Ricky's dodge. That reads like a Drunken Style Kung Fu dodge if there ever was one. Good going! =)

All positioning of course! Because as he straightened up and took another step with his right foot, he rotated his body, as one does, and drove his elbow into the Shrek's back, specifically her kidney. Using the momentum to push himself forward a few more steps until he slammed himself into the lockers as if to catch himself.

2. This one is here just to clear up any misunderstandings. I've had players during my tabletop games specifically go for a vulnerable body part without the use of a Called Shot. So... just to be clear... unless your character calls for a Called Shot, all hits go to their body and S.D.C./hit points.

Why am I pointing this out? Because I've had tabletop players declare that they're kicking or punching their opponent's (for example) liver in an attempt to painfully put them down. But they're not making Called Shots after I've told them how this works. About the 3rd or 4th time they've hit their opponent, they're saying, "Hey! Shouldn't he be down yet? I've hit them 4 times in the liver! Hardly anyone can take that." I have to remind them that unless they're going for Called Shots, they're just taking S.D.C./hit points from the character's total. Nothing more. That's why Called Shots are special and inflict special conditions. Hence my desire to clear up this confusion here just in case anyone is thinking along those lines.

Quickly checking the row of lockers to see if there were any unlicked that he could open. To see what improvised weapons and shields he could make use of. (A la opening locker doors at the right moment)

3. This counts as a separate action. Ricky can deliver his elbow or search the lockers. There is not enough time in an Action to do both. Anyone who's been to a high school or gym with lockers can imagine just how long it takes to actually go down a row of lockers (say, 10). Even if all of the lockers were open (which none are), it would take more time than is reasonable for a single Action to peek in them all, much less to try them all with one's hands to see if they are unlocked. So, D., Ricky is welcome to do this on his next action (no die roll needed), but it will cost him an action and cannot be freely done.

He turned back to her, his back now resting against the lockers, "And yeah, you do got to prove it." Ricky panted, as he continued his taunting. "Those aren't breasts. I know from experience what it looks like when someone is trying to smuggle grilled cheese sandwiches in a suit."

(Ricky uses a level six spell slot to cast Rear Elbow strike, or its closest equivalent)

4. Ha ha! This is just A+ in the Taunting Department (and as a GM, I take into account Ricky's M.A. Attribute for delivery)!

The use of the parenthesis to declare the technique ("Rear Elbow strike") is something I approve of as D. is declaring his Attack in an OOC way. While I prefer the use of spoilers, I understand and can relate that creating a spoiler involves a lot more typing if one is, say, posting from their smartphone. Parenthesis is fine.

However, there is no "Rear Elbow strike" in Drunken Style Kung Fu's wide arsenal. Since there is an "Elbow" technique (under Special Attacks), Ricky is free to use it here. =) My point? Please point out the specific technique you want your character to use. If you leave something to chance, you get my interpretation instead. Call it whatever you want in-game ("With an aggressive shout, Kenpo Karate student Larry uses his Rolling Tiger attack against the villain!"). Just remember to give it to me out-of-character in game terms ("Hey, Dann! Larry is using his Backfist against the villain in the red kung fu uniform."). =)

Honor and fun,
Dann =)

I think this is a good moment to share some "Shop Talk" style thoughts on Hand-to-Hand combat in Broadsword for everyone's benefit. Kaerri Kaerri Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Sherwood Sherwood Psychie Psychie D. Rex D. Rex Silanon Silanon

D. Rex's post is full of action and entertainment (this is Jackie Chan stuff and I really enjoyed it!) and it brings up a few things I feel as GM I should point out for everyone's benefit in the long run. Feel free to comment (but no need to like and subscribe, or if you're a Borderlands 3 player, obey). =)

1. This is an excellent description of Ricky's dodge. That reads like a Drunken Style Kung Fu dodge if there ever was one. Good going! =)

2. This one is here just to clear up any misunderstandings. I've had players during my tabletop games specifically go for a vulnerable body part without the use of a Called Shot. So... just to be clear... unless your character calls for a Called Shot, all hits go to their body and S.D.C./hit points.

Why am I pointing this out? Because I've had tabletop players declare that they're kicking or punching their opponent's (for example) liver in an attempt to painfully put them down. But they're not making Called Shots after I've told them how this works. About the 3rd or 4th time they've hit their opponent, they're saying, "Hey! Shouldn't he be down yet? I've hit them 4 times in the liver! Hardly anyone can take that." I have to remind them that unless they're going for Called Shots, they're just taking S.D.C./hit points from the character's total. Nothing more. That's why Called Shots are special and inflict special conditions. Hence my desire to clear up this confusion here just in case anyone is thinking along those lines.

3. This counts as a separate action. Ricky can deliver his elbow or search the lockers. There is not enough time in an Action to do both. Anyone who's been to a high school or gym with lockers can imagine just how long it takes to actually go down a row of lockers (say, 10). Even if all of the lockers were open (which none are), it would take more time than is reasonable for a single Action to peek in them all, much less to try them all with one's hands to see if they are unlocked. So, D., Ricky is welcome to do this on his next action (no die roll needed), but it will cost him an action and cannot be freely done.

4. Ha ha! This is just A+ in the Taunting Department (and as a GM, I take into account Ricky's M.A. Attribute for delivery)!

The use of the parenthesis to declare the technique ("Rear Elbow strike") is something I approve of as D. is declaring his Attack in an OOC way. While I prefer the use of spoilers, I understand and can relate that creating a spoiler involves a lot more typing if one is, say, posting from their smartphone. Parenthesis is fine.

However, there is no "Rear Elbow strike" in Drunken Style Kung Fu's wide arsenal. Since there is an "Elbow" technique (under Special Attacks), Ricky is free to use it here. =) My point? Please point out the specific technique you want your character to use. If you leave something to chance, you get my interpretation instead. Call it whatever you want in-game ("With an aggressive shout, Kenpo Karate student Larry uses his Rolling Tiger attack against the villain!"). Just remember to give it to me out-of-character in game terms ("Hey, Dann! Larry is using his Backfist against the villain in the red kung fu uniform."). =)

Honor and fun,
Dann =)
Thank you!

Will make this simple since I my time is limited.

For the called shot, I didnt know I need one for that, and said it more for theatrics sake. But! Even though I can't remember the called shot penalty, I'd be more and happy to test my luck and have it be a called shot.i shall also keep this in mind for the future.

As for the look, I understand. I'll just go with the attack. The look was more of a cursory glance than an intense inspection. Without much detail to the scene. I'm sort of fishing for what's around while trying not to make up anything that might not be there.

As for the attack! I didnt even see the elbow attack in my arsenal. But I figured it was a basic enough attack that would be pretty common.

Might I suggest a list of available attacks? Sort of like a menu split into sections. Basic attacks, And for general attacks that might be learned for each level beyond basic. Specifically those that can be used by any style. Not like a rehashing of everything in a style, but like things that they would share and their rolls. Or is it only limited to what is listed in their MA? (Or where I might find them)

Anywho! Clarified attack after understanding. Special elbow attack, as a called shot to the kidney!

Might I suggest a list of available attacks? Sort of like a menu split into sections. Basic attacks, And for general attacks that might be learned for each level beyond basic. Specifically those that can be used by any style. Not like a rehashing of everything in a style, but like things that they would share and their rolls. Or is it only limited to what is listed in their MA? (Or where I might find them)
That should be listed in the post on your martial art style. ^;3^

That should be listed in the post on your martial art style. ^;3^
It is! The rolls arent though. (Not that I am going by what is good, just by what is cool, figured I would post the rolls to save Dann the time to look it up himself. )

The primary thing I was wondering is if there are attacks not listed that are shared across the board. Thing that might not be listed in an advanced martial art that they might reasonably know.

As for the attack! I didnt even see the elbow attack in my arsenal. But I figured it was a basic enough attack that would be pretty common.

It's under Special Attacks. =) Any attacks a character uses that are not listed are performed with no bonuses.

The primary thing I was wondering is if there are attacks not listed that are shared across the board. Thing that might not be listed in an advanced martial art that they might reasonably know.

None whatsoever. Anyone can pick up their leg and kick, right? Well, a typical wrestler or boxer can do that with no bonuses. All of the techniques a character learns are techniques they have practiced.

It is! The rolls arent though. (Not that I am going bt what is good, just by what is cool, figured I would post the rolls to save Dann the time to look it up himself. )

I don't understand what you mean by rolls? If you're referring to damage rolls, I've been playing long-enough to have those mostly memorized. =)

Ah, I see. Not sure what you mean by rolls, but if you mean modifiers, I don't think they have special ones unless it's specifically listed.

No worries!

You may recall the example a short while ago I gave for Hand-to-Hand combat where in an OOC format I posted the technique, Strike, and total Damage? That saves me the most time. I.e. (Ricky attacks using his Elbow Technique. It's +5 to Strike and does d6+6 damage.)

Initiative order - Round 1, Action 2.
Liana - 21 (Using Strike against Ricky.)
Leona - 20 (Stood up after Ylva's sweep.)
Ylva - 10 (Swept Leona. Now facing Leona in Striking Range.)
Ricky - 1 - (Now facing Liana in Striking Range.)

Initiative order - Round 1, Action 2.
Liana - 21 (Using Strike against Ricky.)
Leona - 20 (Stood up after Ylva's sweep.)
Ylva - 10 (Swept Leona. Now facing Leona in Striking Range.)
Ricky - 1 - (Now facing Liana in Striking Range.)
Wash it cushiony or hard? The body of liana.

Purr Purr Also! How do combination attacks work? Like Reverse Turning Kick (dodge/kick combination) or Drop Kick (combination fall/dodge/kick)

D. Rex D. Rex Hard with little give to it. Either she's wearing body armor underneath her vest or she is so in shape that her skin may as well double as body armor!

The Combination Attacks you mentioned in Palladium are often used as a counter against an oncoming attack. This is a Reverse Turning Kick (or as the Tae Kwon Do guys call it, a Back Side Kick or Reverse Side Kick).

"Reverse Side Kick"

The idea is, if someone were to throw a Roundhouse kick at this guy's chest, he could spin and plant that Reverse Turning Kick into the attacker's chest during his opponent's attack. In Palladium, the Attacker rolls to Strike. The Defender then rolls their Dodge (with no bonuses). If the Dodge is successful, the Defender then rolls their own Attack (5 or higher on a d20) which the Attacker can defend against. Reverse Turning Kicks count as only one Action.

A Drop Kick is basically a leaping kick using both feet where the Attacker falls prone after the attack. No one in my games uses it because (per Ninjas & Superspies and Mystic China), this technique gets no bonuses whatsoever (including damage!) when using it.

"Drop kick - Extreme Slow Motion"
Note: The kicker is being very nice to the kicked. Notice he doesn't put any more force than necessary nor does he connect with his heels first. I like this video!

That said, during my Palladium games when I played with fellow martial artists who not only understood these techniques in Real Life, but practiced them regularly, I added "Martial Art Credits" every few experience levels so characters could improve certain techniques (with additional bonuses only when using that technique). This was not a the blanket "+1 to Dodge when using Dodge" derpness, but something more creative like someone who has practiced their basic kicks so well as to increase their Kick Attack from d8 to d10 damage. Then later to 2d6 damage. Or simply added damage to that technique alone (d8+2 before P.S. bonuses). Or someone who could use, say, half their Dodge bonuses when using a Reverse Turning Kick. Martial arts is after all, an art!

My version of the Jeet Kune Do system in Broadsword has something like this system.

It showed that practice pays off. Which of course, it does. =)

Last edited:
D. Rex D. Rex Hard with little give to it. Either she's wearing body armor underneath her vest or she is so in shape that her skin may as well double as body armor!

The Combination Attacks you mentioned in Palladium are often used as a counter against an oncoming attack. This is a Reverse Turning Kick (or as the Tae Kwon Do guys call it, a Back Side Kick or Reverse Side Kick).

"Reverse Side Kick"

The idea is, if someone were to throw a Roundhouse kick at this guy's chest, he could spin and plant that Reverse Turning Kick into the attacker's chest during his opponent's attack. In Palladium, the Attacker rolls to Strike. The Defender then rolls their Dodge (with no bonuses). If the Dodge is successful, the Defender then rolls their own Attack (5 or higher on a d20) which the Attacker can defend against. Reverse Turning Kicks count as only one Action.

A Drop Kick is basically a leaping kick using both feet where the Attacker falls prone after the attack. No one in my games uses it because (per Ninjas & Superspies and Mystic China), this technique gets no bonuses whatsoever (including damage!) when using it.

"Drop kick - Extreme Slow Motion"
Note: The kicker is being very nice to the kicked. Notice he doesn't put any more force than necessary nor does he connect with his heels first. I like this video!

That said, during my Palladium games when I played with fellow martial artists who not only understood these techniques in Real Life, but practiced them regularly, I added "Martial Art Credits" every few experience levels so characters could improve certain techniques (with additional bonuses only when using that technique). This was not a the blanket "+1 to Dodge when using Dodge" derpness, but something more creative like someone who has practiced their basic kicks so well as to increase their Kick Attack from d8 to d10 damage. Then later to 2d6 damage. Or simply added damage to that technique alone (d8+2 before P.S. bonuses). Or someone who could use, say, half their Dodge bonuses when using a Reverse Turning Kick. Martial arts is after all, an art!

My version of the Jeet Kune Do system in Broadsword has something like this system.

It showed that practice pays off. Which of course, it does. =)

Thankies! Knew what the moves were, just didnt know how the mechanics applied. But will never turn down an opportunity to see videos of them.

A shame about the Drop Kick though. Would be a fun and flashy thing to use. Might use it anyway at some point!

That said! Liana has got me worried now. If a max damage critical strike didnt even make her flinch. Looks like she wont let me go subtle on her.

Thanks for the notes above, especially the Called shots - one of the things that I'll have to remember...

Got a few questions right now: First of all - what's up with these ladies? I mean, not that I'm getting worried here myself, how could I not trust Ricky to get the job done, after all - but it'd be more reassuring to see us actually do significant damage, you know? On second thought, don't answer this one - we'll find out soon enough, I'm afraid...

Maybe answer the other questions, though: How close is Ylva to Liana at the moment? How easy would it be to help out Ricky, given the positioning? I mean, I've got my own trouble right in front of me, but maybe there's a chance we can take one out, then the other? That's how teamwork usually works out, right?
And, seeing the initative list above: My first attack, before Ricky and Liana joined in - does it still count as part of this combat round, or not? Just want to make sure, because I'm feeling like double-kicking someone, and I can only do that once per round.

Thanks for the notes above, especially the Called shots - one of the things that I'll have to remember...

Got a few questions right now: First of all - what's up with these ladies? I mean, not that I'm getting worried here myself, how could I not trust Ricky to get the job done, after all - but it'd be more reassuring to see us actually do significant damage, you know? On second thought, don't answer this one - we'll find out soon enough, I'm afraid...

Maybe answer the other questions, though: How close is Ylva to Liana at the moment? How easy would it be to help out Ricky, given the positioning? I mean, I've got my own trouble right in front of me, but maybe there's a chance we can take one out, then the other? That's how teamwork usually works out, right?
And, seeing the initative list above: My first attack, before Ricky and Liana joined in - does it still count as part of this combat round, or not? Just want to make sure, because I'm feeling like double-kicking someone, and I can only do that once per round.
I'm about 40% sure she is a cyborg from the future. 60% sure that she is an actual ogre.

I'm not all that worried. The fun worried. Get to have Ricky be all cool like "Alright. Let's get serious then."

Ricky doesnt like advertising his Martial art prowess in a fight. He likes to take advantage of the surprise. But! In this situation he sees the need now to stop playing around.

And of course that's how teamwork works! Lol it is called "Double or nothing" we would be remiss if we didnt do some double teaming.

Re: Called Shots. You're welcome!

Ylva is approximately 10-15 feet from Liana (I'm giving a variable here because Liana and Ricky are moving a lot). Remember that the lockers are made of up rows with Ylva vs. Leona in one and Ricky vs. Liana in the next row over. Given Ylva's Spd. Attribute, Ylva is able to move and attack Liana in the same Action at this moment. Now, should they move farther down their row of lockers, they will leave Ylva's line of sight, which of course complicates matters.

Ylva's first attack happened in a previous combat round. Pardon me for not explaining this thoroughly. In Palladium, Initiative is rerolled when the situation changes (GM discretion). Some GMs simply add new arrivals to the Initiative and continue from there. In most cases, the arrival of new fighters tends to "reset" the situation (if you like the term) and Initiative is thus rerolled with everyone starting in a new Round of combat. Also, since Ylva's Double Kick can only be used when she has the Initiative, she would not have had the option to use it in this new Round (where she lost Initiative to Leona).

I'm about 40% sure she is a cyborg from the future. 60% sure that she is an actual ogre.

"Ogre"! Ha ha ha! D. Rex, you are hilarious! =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back